Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 06:41:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Staking hardware  (Read 194 times)
SuperCrypto3000 (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 06, 2018, 12:14:15 PM

Hi Everyone

I am new to Crypto and to this forum. I started out about 2 months ago with staking of a few coins on a staking pool site. I would like to start staking coins on my own dedicated hardware, but I am on a tight budget. I’ve been doing some reading, and from what I can find, it looks as if my options are:
1. A used (second hand) computer
2. Raspberry PI
3. Odroid

Going forward, I think I would like to do about 3-5 coins. I think a dedicated computer should be able to handle this, but what about the other two?  And are these my only options?  Thanks
cryptofan999

Activity: 100

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 08:28:01 PM

Apart from these, it is also important to get GPU too alongside CPU. You need to have a high investment initially, because this is the part where your equipment will generate in investments for the coming years.
ShareAccepted

Activity: 336
Merit: 11

Victorieum Digital Wallet Revolution

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 08:33:25 PM

Hi Everyone

I am new to Crypto and to this forum. I started out about 2 months ago with staking of a few coins on a staking pool site. I would like to start staking coins on my own dedicated hardware, but I am on a tight budget. I’ve been doing some reading, and from what I can find, it looks as if my options are:
2. Raspberry PI
3. Odroid

Going forward, I think I would like to do about 3-5 coins. I think a dedicated computer should be able to handle this, but what about the other two?  And are these my only options?  Thanks

I don´t clearly understand you question. You cannot mine with that equipment that I know or at least no commercially. If you are thinking of staking coins, you will need more budget for a node. The option is stake on a pool.

blackmagic111

Activity: 218

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 09:27:22 PM

Raspberry PI is pretty basic. It will be better to go for Odroid. You also need GPU too as well as a good CPU. The initial investment will be a bit high, but once things start to sail smoothly, the rest will be a cake walk. And second hand or new, go for the computer if it is in a good working condition.
larrybarg

Activity: 168

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 10:39:13 PM

Raspberry has good record as well as ordroid PI. If I get to this 1 from two situation, I would definitely go for ordroid, though it is a little expensive. If talk of budget, may go for raspberry collections.
CoinOnTheBeach321

Activity: 56

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 10:40:06 PM

You'll need any one of RaspberryPi and Odroid because both of them does the same thing for you, even none of them could be needed if the coin doesn't demand them. They will be needed only when the blockchain is big and you have to run a master node. Otherwise any ordinary PC with a good amount of ram would do.
coralwoods18

Activity: 59

View Profile
August 09, 2018, 03:38:51 AM

You're right, the dedicated computer will do something good for you. Your goals will help you move forward. You can study more. Your skills and knowledge will increase. If you want to do something good, then you need skill.
cryptodreem

Activity: 252

View Profile
August 09, 2018, 10:53:04 AM

I used to keep almost all coin on my hardware wallet that’s why I feel secured with my wallet. And some of coin keep available for invest and exchange.
SuperCrypto3000 (OP)

View Profile
August 10, 2018, 11:27:30 AM

I don´t clearly understand you question. You cannot mine with that equipment that I know or at least no commercially. If you are thinking of staking coins, you will need more budget for a node. The option is stake on a pool.

Yes, thank you. I want to stake. My understanding is that a full node is not necessarily required to stake, but the rewards are higher. Is this correct?
OffGrid54

Activity: 56

View Profile
August 10, 2018, 05:48:19 PM

You can do staking only with a pc if you want to but make sure you have sufficient ram so that it does not slow the process and if you are talking about masternodes then use any one of Rasp PI and Odroid. Utilizing any one of them can help you to make POS coins.
graysato

Activity: 154

View Profile
August 10, 2018, 08:00:23 PM

All staking hardware can be used. We  need to spend some time and do some research that how we can implement them properly .  Undecided I  think if we use all hardware as we need in the purpose the result will be satisfactory.
SuperCrypto3000 (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2018, 08:56:49 AM

Thank you everyone for the valuable information. At this point I’m leaning towards a laptop with Windows 10. I think it would be versatile enough for my purposes, supported by almost any wallet and I already know the Windows OS very well.
ExceedBlue012

Activity: 70

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 06:45:17 AM

It completely depends on the type of staking you are trying to do. If you are going to create a POS which requires masternode to operate then you'll need Raspberry Pi or Odroid. Otherwise you are good to go with your old computer. But, make sure it's working properly.
SuperCrypto3000 (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 05:18:11 PM

It completely depends on the type of staking you are trying to do. If you are going to create a POS which requires masternode to operate then you'll need Raspberry Pi or Odroid. Otherwise you are good to go with your old computer. But, make sure it's working properly.

Will you please elaborate on this?  What would be the advantages of a Raspberry or Odroid over a used computer?
Samtob4

Activity: 196

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 05:06:43 PM

it is also important to get GPU too alongside CPU. With this it will help you to move forward
SuperCrypto3000 (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 06:25:12 PM

it is also important to get GPU too alongside CPU. With this it will help you to move forward

Thank you, but this makes no sense.  The biggest advantage of POS is that it consumes very little electricity unlike GPU's
Muhammad Muneeb

Activity: 644
Merit: 101

📱 CARTESI 📱 INFRASTRUCTURE FOR DAP

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 06:29:40 PM

Hi Everyone

2. Raspberry PI
3. Odroid

for staking you don't need any special hardware just but a pc maybe go for i3 and install wallets into that pc and just open them and let them run  with the
good internet  connection> Gpu usually use for proof of work mining not pos.

5ensei

Activity: 728
Merit: 103

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 06:31:44 PM

You won't need a GPU unless you plan to do mining as well. All you need is a reliable internet connection that is available all day and everyday. You should think about the noise it makes as you won't want something that is groaning continuously in the background. Something that passively cools would be ideal

Telegram ❒◀           █▆▅▃▂    GoWithMi - Mapping the World on Blockchain    ▂▃▅▆█        Whitepaper❒◀
             Twitter❒◀               The world's first complete decentralized location-based services infrastructure            Facebook❒◀
RisingSun25

Activity: 44

View Profile
August 16, 2018, 08:55:34 AM

For staking pretty much any PC will do, yet If you are doing various coin you should have the wallets open while you stake. This mean loads of RAM. 16GB at any rate. I recommend Win10, 16GB of RAM and a low-end Ryzen by AMD and yes Raspberry PI is the cheapest option but work well.
SuperCrypto3000 (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2018, 11:46:28 AM

for staking you don't need any special hardware just but a pc maybe go for i3 and install wallets into that pc and just open them and let them run  with the
good internet  connection> Gpu usually use for proof of work mining not pos.

For staking pretty much any PC will do, yet If you are doing various coin you should have the wallets open while you stake. This mean loads of RAM. 16GB at any rate. I recommend Win10, 16GB of RAM and a low-end Ryzen by AMD and yes Raspberry PI is the cheapest option but work well.

Thank you very much for this valuable info and the min specs required  Wink
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: