Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:55:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SOLO MINING POSTING ONLY  (Read 8308 times)
mu50stang (OP)

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 02:12:19 PM

I wanted to setup this thread for people who are strictly solo mining.  If you could share your solo setup and how you have done so far.  Please no one who wants to make comments on why you shouldn't be solo mining. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 04:51:25 PM

If you have to ask you probably shouldn't be solo mining.
 Grin
mu50stang (OP)

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 05:11:31 PM

I meant what cards and how much hashing rate, how many blocks you have found etc.
plastic.elastic

Activity: 168

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 06:12:30 PM

I meant what cards and how much hashing rate, how many blocks you have found etc.

I found 0 blocks with 50Gh/s

And my Camaro beats your Rustang.

Tips gladly accepted: 1LPaxHPvpzN3FbaGBaZShov3EFafxJDG42
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 06:52:46 PM

yah, the camaro was so good, they stopped making it.... 

(97 cobra conv. here.)

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
shakaru

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

QUIFAS EXCHANGE

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 12:07:10 AM

My Firebird beats your Camarlone

Um, solo setup.
Miners into switch talking to bitcoind? Is there more than that? Besides that, you know how it works. Luck.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
                         ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
                       ▄███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▄
                     ▄█████▄▄██████████████▄▄█████▄
        ██████  █████████▄████████████████████▄█████
        ██████  ███████▄████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▄████
                      ▄██████▀████████████▀██████▄████
███████   █████████████████████████████████████████████
███████   █████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████
                     █████████████████████████████████
            ██████████▀██████▄████████████▄██████▀████
            ███████████▀████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄███
                    █████▀████████████████▄▀██████▄
                     ▀█████▀▀██████████████▀██▀██████▄
                       ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀
                         ▀▀██████████████████▀▀
                             ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
QUIFAS                    
                    ███
 █              ███ ███
 █              ███  █
███          █  ███
███         ███  █
███  █      ███  █
    ███  █  ███  █
    ███ ███  █   █
     █   █   █
     █      
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 01:20:31 AM

I have been thinkin of goin solo with 2.4 gh/s. Put it this way. Diff is dropping. Mining at a pool for a month will get 30x1.5btc is 45btc. Or i can mine solo for a month and hope for a block of 50. Rough math here but it almost seems close to taking the risk now.
mu50stang (OP)

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 01:33:32 AM

What miner are you using.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 02:12:47 AM

I have been thinkin of goin solo with 2.4 gh/s. Put it this way. Diff is dropping. Mining at a pool for a month will get 30x1.5btc is 45btc. Or i can mine solo for a month and hope for a block of 50. Rough math here but it almost seems close to taking the risk now.

Well it makes more sense w/ 2.4 GH but I have 5x that and wouldn't consider solo mining UNLESS you have free electricity. 

The variance is brutal

With 2.4 GH the chance you won't find even a single block
30 days - 50%
60 days - 25%
90 days - 13%
120 days - 6%
150 days - 3%
180 days - 2%
210 days - 1%

Your power costs are static and very much guaranteed.  Now 1% is pretty low but it isn't die in a car crash or get struck by lightning low.  It is just "I can't believe I racked up massive power bills and wasted 7 months of my life with not even a bitcent to show for it low".

If I were you and planning on going solo I would think about buying another rig.  Personally I would want 20Gh/s (30 would be better) before going solo.

worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 08:12:43 AM

I had tried with 3x 6970s for a week before giving up.  I guess you need a lot of patience and plenty of luck.  Both of which I am lacking Smiley
d.james

Activity: 280

Firstbits: 12pqwk

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 04:38:51 PM

My Firebird beats your Camarlone

My camaro turns into a giant yellow robot.

You can not roll a BitCoin, but you can rollback some. Cheesy
Roll me back: 1NxMkvbYn8o7kKCWPsnWR4FDvH7L9TJqGG
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 03:36:23 PM

Well it makes more sense w/ 2.4 GH but I have 5x that and wouldn't consider solo mining UNLESS you have free electricity. 

The variance is brutal

With 2.4 GH the chance you won't find even a single block
30 days - 50%
60 days - 25%
90 days - 13%
120 days - 6%
150 days - 3%
180 days - 2%
210 days - 1%

Your power costs are static and very much guaranteed.  Now 1% is pretty low but it isn't die in a car crash or get struck by lightning low.  It is just "I can't believe I racked up massive power bills and wasted 7 months of my life with not even a bitcent to show for it low".

If I were you and planning on going solo I would think about buying another rig.  Personally I would want 20Gh/s (30 would be better) before going solo.

well i configured everything to solo mine today. i will leave it running and keep an eye on it for
24 hours.

I am at the point with BTC at 2.25ish... Making less then 3.50 a day.. might as well mine solo and hope for
a bigger payoff in 30 days or less.

More then likely it is time to wind down the miners and sell the stuff on ebay before it loses another 20%
of it's value.

The writing appears to be on the wall. I do not see a BTC worth more then 5 dollars USD for many moons
to come. I will not say ever.. since that is a long time ;-)
dlasher

Activity: 467

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2011, 09:05:04 PM

The writing appears to be on the wall. I do not see a BTC worth more then 5 dollars USD for many moons

At this point I think you're better off to find a solid dependable *PPS site, set that to your primary, find another one, set it to your secondary, and then forget about it for a while..
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 10:08:45 PM

At this point I think you're better off to find a solid dependable *PPS site, set that to your primary, find another one, set it to your secondary, and then forget about it for a while..

Nah. I have decided to try for 50 virgin coins. Bitcoin is worth so little it really does not matter to me
anymore. Making 3-4 dollars a day does not excite me very much so it is time to experiment.

I am at about 200,000+ difficulty 1 shares so far with no block found. So that is about 4.5 days worth
of mining with nothing to show for it. Mining at deepbit would have made about 5-6 BTC or so which is about
12-14 bucks.

I have a long ways to go to reach a million diff 1 shares. So I need to just have patience. I will probably run
this until I hit 2 million and if I do not find anything break down the rigs and sell them.

I will update this thread every once in a while with my results. I have a feeling everyone sorta wishes they
could run solo but the steady money of a pool is to enticing. Well you can live through me I suppose via
this thread.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 10:14:09 PM

Nah. I have decided to try for 50 virgin coins. Bitcoin is worth so little it really does not matter to me
anymore. Making 3-4 dollars a day does not excite me very much so it is time to experiment.

I am at about 200,000+ difficulty 1 shares so far with no block found. So that is about 4.5 days worth
of mining with nothing to show for it. Mining at deepbit would have made about 5-6 BTC or so which is about
12-14 bucks.

I have a long ways to go to reach a million diff 1 shares. So I need to just have patience. I will probably run
this until I hit 2 million and if I do not find anything break down the rigs and sell them.

I will update this thread every once in a while with my results. I have a feeling everyone sorta wishes they
could run solo but the steady money of a pool is to enticing. Well you can live through me I suppose via
this thread.

+1 to your last statement. Just popping in so I can watch for your updates.

Cheers

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 03:37:18 PM

Well I started solo mining on Oct 20th.
It is now Oct 27th and I have completed about 350,000 difficulty 1 shares and no block found yet.

Just to summarize how I am solo mining..

In my bitcoin.conf file I have:
rpcuser=my-user-name
rpcpassword=my-password
rpcallowip=x.x.x.x (for each machine)

I then started bitcoin in -server mode so it would open up the right port (8332) and allow
work to be given to each miner.

I am using 4x5830, 2x6950 (shaders unlocked), and 1x5850. All over clocked to the max before they crash.
This gives an estimate of about 2.4+ gh/s.

Bitcoin gives very steady work to all miners.

Kind of depressing watching my last transaction having 767 confirmations in the bitcoin client knowing that
the pool I normally used has found hundreds of blocks. So that is lost income. But then I realize BTC is under
3 US dollars and think that I really have not given up that much money at all.

A long ways to go before I hit a million diff 1 shares and have a reasonable chance of having found something.
Finding a block with only 350,000 diff 1 shares would be incredibly good luck.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 03:54:23 PM

Thanks for the update. I am still following.

One possible option to help speed it up a bit would be to run a 'mini pool'. Open up 8332 in your FW and forward it to your daemon ip. Then rpcallowip one or two trusted friends pulling 1GH+ and split it 2 or 3 ways at 0% or whatever.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
mu50stang (OP)

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 06:08:17 PM

I'm at 1,000,000.  Nothing yet.
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 06:32:17 PM

I'm at 1,000,000.  Nothing yet.

We should both be thankful that difficulty will take a very large drop shortly.

Difficulty   1468195
Estimated   1235415 in 367 blks

It is a reduction like that which makes it pretty darn reasonable to start finding a block on our own
in a reasonable amount of time.

phorensic

Activity: 630

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 07:02:37 PM

You guys are crazy.  Good luck if you get a 10 million round block.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: