Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 04:42:34 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The only one piece of legit FUD....  (Read 1917 times)
spooderman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2014, 07:11:22 PM

The beauty is that the reward slowly disappears. This makes bitcoin something which is always in a period of transition. Nothing is going to happen too suddenly. It's not like when 2140 comes 'we' have two weeks where suddenly everyone stops mining and a block isn't found for the entire time.....by that time we will have transitioned to a "transaction-fee based blockchain."

Did I just (bit)coin a term?

Society doesn't scale.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2014, 08:15:56 PM

The beauty is that the reward slowly disappears. This makes bitcoin something which is always in a period of transition. Nothing is going to happen too suddenly. It's not like when 2140 comes 'we' have two weeks where suddenly everyone stops mining and a block isn't found for the entire time.....by that time we will have transitioned to a "transaction-fee based blockchain."

Correct. I think that you did just that.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
spooderman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2014, 08:22:06 PM

Correct. I think that you did just that.

yay I'm a part of btc history.

just call me nakamotwo Smiley

edit: I just realized that one thing I said isn't correct. If everyone actually did stop mining (apart from a tiny percentage of people) wouldn't it take a lot longer than two weeks for the adjustment, given that the adjustment depends on finding 2500ish blocks? If we ever went down to a 1/100th of the hashpower that would mean waiting ages for confirmations (like hours/days) for 200 weeks? Ugh this is one of those things that makes me think that if btc fails, it will fail quite hard, it's like a rocket launch - if it keeps gaining momentum it will be fine but if anything goes wrong it crashes (I don't mean the price, although that likely would as well.)

hmmmm

still!

I will hodl you 5evr btcoin. I <2 yu soo muhc.

Society doesn't scale.
lnternet

Activity: 299
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 08:49:38 PM

Yeah I am also a bit worried about the long term stability. In effect, the current mining reward is the fees paid by the network. Not paid directly, but by injecting more BTC into the economy the value of all BTC goes down, thereby the block reward is a tax on all people hodling.

The dream scenario is, computers become faster / storage more abundant, 100 MB blocks are no problem, 1 cent fee per tx is enough to keep the block reward at $4k, which is enough to keep the network secure with enough miners. No block reward is needed, tx fees hold everything stable.

Worst case is, block reward becomes low, and tx volume is limited to 1MB, the tx fee in excess of $1. Either people don't want to pay that much fee on tx, and BTC dies. Or people pay less fees, but no miners mine for that, and BTC becomes unstable and dies.

Another thing to consider, what if the miners become greedy, and hard fork to continued 25BTC block reward indefinitely. Or hard fork to whatever the hell they to. Only takes two mining pools right now to do that if I understand BTC protocol correctly. I guess people can stay on the lower hashed chain.. but this could get very messy.

1ntemetqbXokPSSkuHH4iuAJRTQMP6uJ9
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2014, 10:39:33 PM

Oh ok *deletes post*

Lol, genuinely? What would th implications of doing this be? Just a huger blockchain for everyone to download?

at the moment a 1mb block calculates to a 52gb blockchain per year. . if and only if the whole 1mb cap was filled with data.

but with bitcoin entering its 5th year, the entire blockchain sits at under half of 52gb, which over 5 years averages out as only 10% utilised. so until we see more blocks being fully filled up, then the 7tx/s is not an issue.

if you would like to learn a more prominent issue that does affect us today, which should not affect us for many decades. then research into mining pool scripts.

right now 25btc for an average 10 minutes worth of work is ample. yet miners greed is demanding people pay a fee on the transactions, to such an extent that pools coded by Luke Jr are now ignoring a majority of fee free transactions.

Luke Jr posted that the eligius pool only allows 1 unpaid transaction per block.

the way to imagine it is the railway network. where there is 10 carriages, 1 carriage for first class passengers and 9 for coach class. they only allow one coach class passenger on per train. the other coach passengers have to wait for a different companies train to arrive at the station to get onboard.

translation:
with 10% of a block being filled by fee paying transactions, and although there is room for 90% of a block for everything else. eligius only allow 1 transaction without a premium.

it does not cost a rail company or a mining pool anymore to have a full train/block, but its done to force people.. yes people, you and me. to pay more just to get accepted.

miners should not be demanding more value via transaction fee, they should however demand more value by hoarding their reward and getting better value on exchanges

:O shocking, I did not know this, and I mine at eligius. This feels contradictory to the very nature of bitcoin. Time to go over to their page and have a word.

That is his philosophy on fees.  I doubt talking to him will change that.   I think many miners mine there BECAUSE of that philosophy so he would probably loose business if he changed it.

You can switch pools to a pool that has a more open philosophy (to free transactions) if yours is different.  I think Mining.bitcoin.cz allows for more free transactions per block though this information is now harder to find.

spooderman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2014, 04:35:22 AM

time to make freecoin....

Society doesn't scale.
DaFockBro

Activity: 126
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 04:49:03 AM

Where'd you get this FUD, bro?  This shit is legit.
spooderman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2014, 05:22:21 AM

Where'd you get this FUD, bro?  This shit is legit.

read the responses bruh. it's not as bad as you'd think bra.

Society doesn't scale.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: