Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:30:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: power issues with Erupter cubes  (Read 474 times)
sniffinpoprocks (OP)

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 03:59:09 PM

I have 3 Cubes, i had one running successfully for about a month, it started making crack/pop noises and would trip the power supply. I got two more, new in the mail a couple days ago. I tried a single new one to see if the old one was going bad. Now, the power supply wont even power a single cube, new or old, for any time at all without internally 'tripping' and needing about 5 min with power off to reset. If i pull the cube fuse, it works fine(cube fan spins up), it just cant provide power to the cube with the fuse in. This is my second power supply! First was an OCZ 600w. I went bigger on the current one, it's a brand new Cooler Master V1000. It's got a frikkin 83A single 12v rail. 996 watts on the 12v alone. It's on a 220v 20a ckt(4400 watts) which doesn't trip, just the power supply internally trips. Hooking up the old 600W does the same; which should power a single cube fine. Both act exactly the same, they trip off and die either immediately or within a couple minutes. I got one of the new ones reconfigured IP wise last night before it died.

I'm now looking to buy a server power supply and hack it to provide power but...anyone else had issues like this and found an easier solution? I'm almost ready to chuck these all together and get an S1 instead.

“Since we decided a few weeks ago to adopt the leaf as legal tender, we have, of course, all become immensely rich.”
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2014, 06:20:46 PM

See my sig for cube help thread. But tldr, cubes often trigger 'overload' protection on higher end PSUs, preventing them from working. I can't use my 1500W beast on a cube for that exact reason, you'll just have to use something else. See the thread for PSU recommendations and links.

sniffinpoprocks (OP)

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 02:01:06 AM

thanks, I actually read your thread for the setup of the first one...guess I skimmed over the part about it tripping high end supplies.(which I see clearly now)
will look for the recommended PS thread.
thanks!!

“Since we decided a few weeks ago to adopt the leaf as legal tender, we have, of course, all become immensely rich.”
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: