Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:40:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposal: Disallow Ads in Signatures  (Read 18989 times)
hjbuell

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Writer $0.10/word +

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2014, 07:09:03 PM
Last edit: February 26, 2014, 07:20:11 PM by hjbuell

The most obvious solution to this is not to count posts of less than 50 words towards post count. (19 words)

Problem solved. People can still make short, one word posts - they just won't contribute to post count. More importantly, the required '50 posts' that people need to make won't happen nearly as quickly, as short posts won't bump the number. (40 words)

Barring that, penalize the advertisers. If an advertiser is generating enough income from posts here, then they can do a better job of checking people using their signatures. (28 words)

(87 words in total)

In the case that pay-per-post will remain allowed, I think your idea is simply wrong.
Please let me quote myself, just as one of many and better examples, with a post I wrote some minutes ago:

Bitcoin is not a safe investment anymore.

FTFY.

I wrote one single word (5 characters, full stop included).
Why shouldn't it be counted as valid post? Should it be cosidered spam or valueless?
I don't think so, and with only one word it carried my message, what i want to make explicit, quite well.

Because, in a pay per post world, you're paid for quality posts. The post you listed doesn't meet the criteria I would apply to a 'quality' post. It would not count towards post count or spam count - but it would also not count towards brand placement.

Think of it like this...

Adidas wants to pay you to place their brand, but they're only going to pay you for placement that reaches a lot of people. In the advertising and marketing world, this means that your 'quality' placement payments factor in all of the lower quality brand placement work you'll do part time.

For example, when you walk out to check your mail in an Adidas sports suit, you aren't going to get paid for brand advertising, but when you run a few k, go to the shopping mall, or give a speech, you will get paid for brand advertisement. Those are 'quality' brand engagements.

The guy who sits at home on his couch and plays Nintendo all day in an Adidas suit, just ducking out to check the mail or order a pizza isn't making any quality contributions - so the easiest way to level the field is to simply eliminate such actions - or in this case - posts.

That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with short posts - just - they don't contribute to the brand in a meaningful way.

Put another way, you pay your promoter to give speeches. When he is just chatting with the guys backstage or in transit, he's not getting paid - but he's still supporting your brand.

The changes I've put forward would result in increased payouts to those who are making good posts, and eliminate those who are promoting crap content. It would also be much easier to nuke spammers, because there would be less 50 word posts (they take longer to write), making them easier to target and eliminate.

Edit: Also, I have no idea what FTFY means - so I completely skipped it and your signature in my initial read through. That makes it less than effective advertising, as I just asked myself, "Do I have the time to look this up, and if I do, is it meaningful enough to do so, or do I care?"

No offense intended at all, but the answer was a resounding no. It just does not matter to me what FTFY means. I have never heard it before, or seen it that I remember. My assumption is 'Fixed That For You' - but then I still don't see that post as being a 'meaningful contribution' in terms of brand placement.

It's still a valid opinion, and a valid post - but it is not something anyone who isn't an A List celebrity would get paid for writing. Throw in a tweet from Rhiannon or KK, and then you could call that good brand placement. Otherwise, we're not turning heads with out signatures - period. Not at all to dismiss your posts - but I have made some posts today that absolutely should not count towards brand placement / payment.

This is my opinion - no more and no less. It is just as valid as your FTFY post - but still below the 50 word limit (50 is just a random number - could be 25 - but only the Mods have those statistics and can comment on them), and further, just not an example of good brand placement: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=431195.msg5389420#msg5389420

Anyway, just tossing in my $0.02. Several good suggestions out there. I just happen to work with a lot of writers - some of whom pay pennies for content, and know for a fact that higher word counts per payment would eliminate a huge number of the spammers, because they would make more money writing crap content for Google (the king of crap content).

Being different is all it takes to make a difference. H. J. Buell
Writer from $0.10 per word. https://hjbuell.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
abacus

Activity: 618
Merit: 500

a clockwork miner

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 08:27:11 PM

The problem is (are) not of course your concise and clear message(s) but the overproductive spammers posts. What do you propose to get rid of those and validate yours? How do you propose to solve the problems bellow? Could (realistically) mods, advertisers, users have a role? But the first question is: Do you think there is a problem?
So the main problems created by ads in signatures are:
- a difficulty of properly following threads because of a great number of posts (short and/or not connected with the thread itself) submitted  with the sole purpose of making an easy coin
- a negative impression because of ads written in BIG, bold, coloured fonts

Yes, I think the problem is here and could get worse with time.
The invasive signatures aren't a real problem, as well explained by Salty in the post above, but the spam is.
And I am afraid that the only viable way to prevent "mimetic" spam is to forbid pay-per-post advertising.

I like very, very much this proposal from you:

4. Involving users in reporting spam. The incentive for them could be
- an improved activity formula (for example adding a number proportional with valid spam posts reported). I know it's not pleasant tu use the reporting system (that's why i usually avoid it) but the trash has to be dealt with otherwise the place becomes to smelly
- a better trust level, etc.

A +1 activity for every 1 (or more) valid reported post would be an HUGE incentive for many users.
Of course there must be also a penalty for wrong submission; can you imagine the SPAM of SPAM reporting(*)?
What do you mods, staff and admins think about this proposal?

(*)  ->  SPAM!  Cheesy
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 09:15:18 PM

Perhaps the allowed signature styling should change with activity score / membergroup. Like:
- Newbie: No styling (including links) allowed. Max 40 characters.
- Jr. Member: Links allowed. Max 100 characters.
- Member: Unlimited length.
- Full: Color allowed.
- Sr. Member: Size allowed
- Hero: Background color allowed

Then newbies will be less effective advertisers, which would hopefully significantly reduce the incentive for low-content posts. And when people become capable of effectively advertising through their signatures, they'll have invested a lot of time into their accounts, and they won't risk being banned by spamming.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
mgburks77

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 09:18:45 PM

That actually seems like a very reasonable solution.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 09:29:10 PM

Perhaps the allowed signature styling should change with activity score / membergroup. Like:

Then newbies will be less effective advertisers, which would hopefully significantly reduce the incentive for low-content posts. And when people become capable of effectively advertising through their signatures, they'll have invested a lot of time into their accounts, and they won't risk being banned by spamming.

I think that could work.  Though, there is the possibility that someone may still pay on a per post basis... but it's unlikely to be worth it with the changes.
txbt

Activity: 62

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 10:29:03 PM

A +1 activity for every 1 (or more) valid reported post would be an HUGE incentive for many users.
Of course there must be also a penalty for wrong submission; can you imagine the SPAM of SPAM reporting(*)?

Thank you. A good idea. Users should be more involved but not become spam reporting spammers.

1WXXstjXvsfV1U2wSVwDACqqYrpK12W3g
Skoupi

Activity: 252

Skoupi the Great

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 10:39:56 PM

My oppinion is that sig adds is a great way for people to get their hands on some bitcoins.

Since it's not the very early days and people don't give bitcoins away for free, signatures is one of the few ways for
people to get involved with a substantial amount of bitcoin in hand.

Not everyone can work for bitcoins, and not everyone can afford to buy bitcoins but everyone that has a wallet with a few bitcoins in it,
adds value to the currency and the community.

Spamming a forum (even if it is an important one like this) is trivial compared to the big picture.
iram3130
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1010

ITSMYNE 🚀 Talk NFTs, Trade NFTs 🚀

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 11:02:35 PM

Looks like Sir Theymos is tweaking it as we speak. Great Move Sir   Smiley

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 11:10:21 PM

This actually makes sense. I would love to see this implemented.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
NLNico
Legendary
hacker

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1289

DiceSites.com owner

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2014, 11:11:23 PM

I think it is already Wink

atleticofa

Activity: 406

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 11:13:19 PM

Yes. Something happened with the format of the signatures... No more colors I suppose Sad
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3053

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2014, 11:14:38 PM

OMG!  Please!!!!

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Cryptock

Activity: 1792
Merit: 507

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 11:17:56 PM

is this why link is not working in newbies account signature.

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 11:19:40 PM

is this why link is not working in newbies account signature.

It appears so. Are these chnages effective immediately?
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 11:20:42 PM

A progressive ad system has my full support
Just my 2 bits

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
iram3130
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1010

ITSMYNE 🚀 Talk NFTs, Trade NFTs 🚀

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 11:23:00 PM

Lots of posters would not be paid now.  Shocked

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 11:25:13 PM

A progressive ad system has my full support
Just my 2 bits

Hmm, it could work. I'll have to see what the final outcome is. Was this planned or a spur of the moment thing? The sigs are  really tiny at the moment for me.
Bitcoinwunder

Activity: 72

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 11:35:29 PM

Ah, interesting changes. Cheesy Not sure if that improves the situation a lot, because I'm usually pretty good at skipping signatures anyway.

But if someone is annoyed because of adverts it won't really be less annoying. People that hate them turn them off. People that are interested in unpaid signatures and are usually reading them will still see/read all the adverts.

The main problem for me are the many spammers that make pointless comments everywhere just to get their post-count up. Don't think that will improve much. It's not only Newbies that spam.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 11:48:13 PM

This is done, except that Newbies can use 50 characters and Jr. Members can use 150 characters. The style limitations are applied immediately, but the size limitations only apply when a signature is updated. Tell me if there are problems.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 11:49:02 PM

The main problem for me are the many spammers that make pointless comments everywhere just to get their post-count up. Don't think that will improve much. It's not only Newbies that spam.

Report them to the mods or the signature providers. Stunna wont pay people who spam and most if not all the others wont aswell.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: