Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:41:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposal: Disallow Ads in Signatures  (Read 18989 times)
apsvinet

Activity: 224
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 11:30:13 PM

FYI, this thread is hilarious when you ignore everyone with paid advertising in their sigs.

Lol imagines the thread is like 5 - 10 posts tops ha-ha

But then you miss B!Z joke lol
And why would that matter? Do you think, in a scenario were there were no signature advertisements at all, that -none- of the people who chose to comment who currently has one of those, would've commented?

Depends how interested they are in the topic really signatures aside although sigs are a part of the forum design even if they are unpaid ones.
Yup, and not to forget there's an option to ignore ALL user's signatures. Smiley

∎               GAWMiners The Hashlet World's first digital cloud miner!
∎∎∎   No pool fees Instant activation Never obsolete Always profitable
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
brush242

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 06:22:28 PM

Which, frankly, is the best option.

Support sidehack miner development. Donations to: 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Kiki112

Activity: 196

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 11:19:14 PM

1.someone else paying people to post on your forum, would you stop him? Cheesy
2.generating more content,ranking better on google, more users, more ads clicked, more revenue for the forum
3.If I was the owner I would make Donators have the largest signature of all..
that way people would donate just to get a bigger signature and therefore get more money per post
the forum would acquire large quantities of bitcoin so it can keep operating and perhaps even reward some of it's hard working people Smiley

I think the positive aspects of this are a lot better then the negative sides..

apsvinet

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 11:20:28 PM

2.generating more content,ranking better on google, more users, more ads clicked, more revenue for the forum
that way people would donate just to get a bigger signature and therefore get more money per post
the forum would acquire large quantities of bitcoin so it can keep operating and perhaps even reward some of it's hard working people Smiley

I don't think the positive aspects of this are a lot better then the negative sides..
Yeah but in the end the changes are based on one guy getting annoyed by posts he can chose to ignore and decides to ask to ban what he doesn't like.

Kiki112

Activity: 196

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 11:23:36 PM

I don't think the positive aspects of this are a lot better then the negative sides..
Yeah but in the end the changes are based on one guy getting annoyed by posts he can chose to ignore and decides to ask to ban what he doesn't like.

yes, but if he thinks trough it with his own head and how this actually is good not only for bitcointalk but for bitcoin too

the more data a website has the better it will rank and more people will accidently stumble upon bitcointalk and become sucked in the crypto world Cheesy

this is what we actually want, larger demand

besides, circulating some bitcoins around is also good for our coins Smiley

apsvinet

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 11:26:53 PM

yes, but if he thinks trough it with his own head and how this actually is good not only for bitcointalk but for bitcoin too

the more data a website has the better it will rank and more people will accidently stumble upon bitcointalk and become sucked in the crypto world Cheesy

this is what we actually want, larger demand

besides, circulating some bitcoins around is also good for our coins Smiley
Ah yeah. Well this thread is getting old and those arguments have already circled around a few times in the thread, but didn't get much of response. In the end they wanted to stop spammers. After this period however I can't say that I've noticed a significant change. However if they have - good for them. Smiley

DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2014, 02:59:21 PM

I stopped putting ads in my signature when I realized it makes me look similar to those who just spam for money. Many people would complain that they can't spam for their $50/month that they get from signature ads, but in the long run it'd be much better for bitcointalk.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2014, 07:29:18 PM

I stopped putting ads in my signature when I realized it makes me look similar to those who just spam for money. Many people would complain that they can't spam for their $50/month that they get from signature ads, but in the long run it'd be much better for bitcointalk.

BTW I get more around $100-200.

DiamondCardz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2014, 07:30:27 PM

The amount isn't the point nor the topic of this thread, it's the spam that it creates.

nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2014, 07:33:04 PM

The amount isn't the point nor the topic of this thread, it's the spam that it creates.

Why not only allow Full Members + to have a signature in the first place?

DiamondCardz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2014, 07:35:16 PM

Why should Members and below be blocked from having a signature because people are spamming due to signature ads?

apsvinet

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 07:35:56 PM

Because if you weren't Full Member + yourself you would never have suggested that. Wink

nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2014, 07:36:11 PM

Why should Members and below be blocked from having a signature because people are spamming due to signature ads?

Or maybe not allowed to have a link.

Truthfully there is no medium. Its either get half of the forum pissed, or get the other half.

DiamondCardz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2014, 07:37:21 PM

Truthfully there is no medium. Its either get half of the forum pissed, or get the other half.

Those who will be pissed, will be pissed simply because they can't be paid to post? This is a forum for discussing Bitcoin, not for making profit, at the end of the day. If people quit because they can't make money by posting, good riddance I say.

apsvinet

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 07:37:56 PM

Who is pissed now then? If the mods hadn't noticed a significant decrease in spam when they changed the signature rules, they would've changed it back straight away, no?

nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2014, 07:39:23 PM

Who is pissed now then? If the mods hadn't noticed a significant decrease in spam when they changed the signature rules, they would've changed it back straight away, no?

There is a slight difference but not big enough. Right now the people in this thread who are anti-ads are pretty pissed.

apsvinet

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 07:40:56 PM

There is a slight difference but not big enough. Right now the people in this thread who are anti-ads are pretty pissed.
No offense, but that seems to be a them-problem. They actually made a change based on just 1 persons proposal, made it happen very quickly too. They don't have the right to be pissed imho.

nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2014, 07:42:44 PM

No offense, but that seems to be a them-problem. They actually made a change based on just 1 persons proposal, made it happen very quickly too. They don't have the right to be pissed imho.

Not one persons. A lot of mods and even theymos wanted the change.

We both know the only reason that we are against this is because we are getting paid. If I wasnt I would def be against it.

apsvinet

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 07:44:35 PM

Not one persons. A lot of mods and even theymos wanted the change.

We both know the only reason that we are against this is because we are getting paid. If I wasnt I would def be against it.
Of course it's because we're using the signatures ourselves. But we are doing that for a reason, probably ( in my case at least ) because I don't see why it should bother anyone. Smiley

nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2014, 07:45:32 PM

Of course it's because we're using the signatures ourselves. But we are doing that for a reason, probably ( in my case at least ) because I don't see why it should bother anyone. Smiley

One word. Spam.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: