Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 05:11:26 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt Gox CEO Karpeles says bitcoin exchange is at "turning point"  (Read 3647 times)
Dissonance

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 04:36:40 PM

Just speculation but maybe the WINKLEVOSS twins are buying the exchange ?  They have the most to loose if Bitcoin goes under.
anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 04:39:08 PM

Just speculation but maybe the WINKLEVOSS twins are buying the exchange ?  They have the most to loose if Bitcoin goes under.

The Winklevoss speculation is as good as any other, but whatever comes out of that, Bitcoin will not go under. That stupid volatility is a temporary obstacle for wider adoption, but that is it.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
Dissonance

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 04:42:59 PM

The Winklevoss speculation is as good as any other, but whatever comes out of that, Bitcoin will not go under. That stupid volatility is a temporary obstacle for wider adoption, but that is it.

I agree that bitcoin is not going under , at least not due to this.  Perhaps I should say the have the most to loose from a price decline and they can backstop their investment but restoring confidence in the market.
mjsbuddha

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

yung lean

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:23:53 PM

what a beautiful non-statement
CryptoGuy2014

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:43:21 PM

New statement from mt. Gox website.

"Dear MtGox Customers,
In light of recent news reports and the potential repercussions on MtGox's operations and the market, a decision was taken to close all transactions for the time being in order to protect the site and our users. We will be closely monitoring the situation and will react accordingly.
Best regards,
MtGox Team"

Interesting.....
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:40:03 PM

From MTGOX.COM

TRANSLATION: "Hmm let's monitor the fact that we lost people's money and see if the money somehow magically reappears!"

Cheesy

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

traderCJ

Activity: 280

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:41:55 PM

Karpeles is such a typical shill.  Always lying, always deceitful.  I'm pretty sure they're about to get bought out.  This will be good news for Bitcoin.  A relatively graceful exit for Gox ..
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:45:12 PM

Karpeles is such a typical shill.  Always lying, always deceitful.  I'm pretty sure they're about to get bought out.  This will be good news for Bitcoin.  A relatively graceful exit for Gox ..

Who is going to buy into a 350 million USD liability, which given Bitcoin's history could easily turn onto a 3.5 billion USD or 35 billion USD liability?

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 06:47:28 PM

Businesses fail, money is stolen, but the core of Bitcoin is strong and useful; when you buy 1BTC you know that there will not be an authority that will create a lot more BTC so its value should remain the same or increase with adoption

The western countries are heading to a huge economical storm, it will unfold within 2years : the dollar will crash, Europe's debt and corruption will bring political uncertainties (or civil wars), having bitcoins or gold seem like a good bet

Manticore

Activity: 70

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 07:13:12 PM
Last edit: February 25, 2014, 07:23:40 PM by Manticore

This is the best thing that could have happened for Bitcoin -- to finally remove this ongoing and outsized nuisance. I would call them a cancer but they are not competent enough to be a deadly disease. I was afraid it would never happen.

I suppose parts of Mt Gox could be sold, although I cannot imagine any reputable entity making the purchase. They have a proven poorly designed system; probably better to start from scratch. They have basically invented a new intangible liability -- 'badwill'. This is the inverse of the intangible asset 'goodwill.' It's difficult to put a price on intangibles; the level of badwill they have culminated is massive. And of course they have massive tangible liability.

MF Global did not rise from the ashes. And nobody is clamoring to resurrect their name. I wouldn't expect a different outcome from Gox. The third-party review looks to me very preliminary and simply outlines a basic plan. I think there is an element of best case scenario/wishful thinking in it....

Does anyone have anything constructive to say regarding their take on the 750K coins? Seems astronomical....
traderCJ

Activity: 280

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 07:21:36 PM

Karpeles is such a typical shill.  Always lying, always deceitful.  I'm pretty sure they're about to get bought out.  This will be good news for Bitcoin.  A relatively graceful exit for Gox ..

Who is going to buy into a 350 million USD liability, which given Bitcoin's history could easily turn onto a 3.5 billion USD or 35 billion USD liability?

1) We don't know their liability.
2) If the liability is in BTC, one could argue that the liability is owed at the last price of a coin on Gox.
3) The company may undergo bankruptcy proceedings, which will alleviate most if not all of their debts (not sure how it works in JP).
4) They're the oldest name in the business.
5) Exchanges are cash cows.  It may only take a year or two to cover their liabilities.
6) It's clear from the joint insolvency letter that some heavyweights intend to help with the liabilities .. somehow.

I wouldn't just dismiss the possibility of them being bought out so casually as you have.
T.Stuart

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 07:30:40 PM

Karpeles is such a typical shill.  Always lying, always deceitful.  I'm pretty sure they're about to get bought out.  This will be good news for Bitcoin.  A relatively graceful exit for Gox ..

2) If the liability is in BTC, one could argue that the liability is owed at the last price of a coin on Gox.
3) The company may undergo bankruptcy proceedings, which will alleviate most if not all of their debts (not sure how it works in JP).
5) Exchanges are cash cows.  It may only take a year or two to cover their liabilities.
6) It's clear from the joint insolvency letter that some heavyweights intend to help with the liabilities .. somehow.

I wouldn't just dismiss the possibility of them being bought out so casually as you have.

I take it you are referring to the Coinbase et al statement? Yes I had to read it twice but then I understood clearly that they are not offering to help with Gox's problems. They are referring to protecting their customer's funds from future problems.

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 07:31:14 PM

If MtGox is being bought out by someone that can run it properly than there should be thousands of "thumbs up" for that.

We will see though.  With Gox it is better to have as low of expectations as possible.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Manticore

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 07:33:53 PM

I agree that there is intent for a turnaround and they will certainly be discussing this with many groups, and there is the possibility of selling-off limited assets. I don't know much about Japanese bankruptcy law.....

MF Global was the largest entity in the futures industry -- a whale that was the backbone of anything futures and commodity derivative related. They are still tied up in litigation with no hope of resurrection (not even an option). I assure you that Coinbase or any of the other U.S. entities will not be bailing out Mt. Gox. I do not see anything in their joint PR that alludes to them helping in any way, shape or form with Gox liabilities. Where are you seeing this???
Manticore

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 07:44:53 PM

And IMO there is no hope of a resurrected Gox....unless of course this draft is some type of ploy that they released to make it look like a third party is involved. Maybe he is actually planning to sell the functional Mt Gox assets to a company that he owns for pennies (so he can back out of the liability and start fresh) then install a figurehead or partner to run the new 'Gox' while he silently owns shares in the background through a nominee shareholder. He can then train new CEO, etc.

Maybe that's their plan.....and they released the 'leak' draft on purpose. Conspiratorial but very possible.

thelema93

Activity: 339

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:36:55 PM

Leaked document ==

Solarstorm75

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:40:44 PM

Leaked document ==

Yeah it's a fake, but Karpeles himself confirms that it is “more or less” legitimate.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2014/02/25/mt-gox-ceo-says-on-internet-chat-hasnt-given-up/
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:59:13 PM

Leaked document ==

Yeah it's a fake, but Karpeles himself confirms that it is “more or less” legitimate.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2014/02/25/mt-gox-ceo-says-on-internet-chat-hasnt-given-up/

Well, if it's fake, then it's less legitimate.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Armis

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 12:14:28 AM

Karpeles said: "We should have an official announcement ready soon-ish. We are currently at a turning point for the business. I can't tell much more for now as this also involves other parties."

He is selling the company .... that's obvious Smiley

Hope that the company buying this auwful mess doesn't get Goxxed!.

That actually sounds a lot like he is selling.. Who would want to buy exchange with so bad reputation?

I would buy it if I were able to lay out all of the terms to the site member/customers, so that they know exactly what is happening every reconstruction, rebranding, and repositioning step of the way.  I would not buy it unless I had the actual cooperation of the membership.   Rest assured, everything would go up: service quality, security, rates, value, and appreciation.

Take special note, the price would be no higher than $1, but no one would lose a dime from insolvency or foul play. 

Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 12:36:04 AM

Karpeles said: "We should have an official announcement ready soon-ish. We are currently at a turning point for the business. I can't tell much more for now as this also involves other parties."

He is selling the company .... that's obvious Smiley

Hope that the company buying this auwful mess doesn't get Goxxed!.

That actually sounds a lot like he is selling.. Who would want to buy exchange with so bad reputation?

I would buy it if I were able to lay out all of the terms to the site member/customers, so that they know exactly what is happening every reconstruction, rebranding, and repositioning step of the way.  I would not buy it unless I had the actual cooperation of the membership.   Rest assured, everything would go up: service quality, security, rates, value, and appreciation.

Take special note, the price would be no higher than $1, but no one would lose a dime from insolvency or foul play. 

If I would buy MtGOX for $1 (providing most money was lost and I am full owner from the GO) I would give out shares/dividend in BTC/USD to all people who have a debt.
This way you can repay everyone over time even compensating them if they have faith in the company over time. The company would remain to have money to operate.

Ofcourse hire capable people for running the show in a safe and secure manner. No more lost cold wallets Tongue
Hire a trusted external party(s) to regularly audit the company (incl. books) and take advise seriously.
Put up an apology to all people who got screwed over and commit to a repay through shares/dividend system.

Make internal changes like restaffing allmost everyone (atleast management and programmers).
Provide social media and good and regular updates of the status. Communicate to the world in an open manner.
Limit witdrawls and ease open the gates until a full free flow of money is allowed. (this is necessary to stop mass withdrawl)

I would not bother to change the name MtGOX, I would rebrand the logo to signify change in management.

But then again I've never run a company....

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: