Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:11:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to quote a locked topic and use of edit button  (Read 259 times)
mdayonliner (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 12:59:28 AM
Last edit: August 12, 2018, 06:19:40 AM by mdayonliner
Merited by The Sceptical Chymist (1), Silent26 (1)

What happens if I miss a period?
No! this is not that period, in-fact my focus is not on the text. Grin
Notice the main topic. It's already locked. Now notice, I quoted the content of the topic successfully even though it's locked. How was it possible?

I am sure 99% of the members including Legendary do not have any clue about this hidden yet very useful feature. I am going to explain the process in a minute. I also have another feature which I am sure we all ignore most of the times. There is another feature I discovered on the other day which is actually useless though. I will list that too. And finally I will have a bonus information which I am sure was never clicked on your mind.

How to quote a locked topic?
There is an easy way but it was not very satisfactory to me. I guess you already know about it.
Code:
[quote author="www.theURLofTHEtopic.com"]the content of the topic[/quote]
the content of the topic

i.e:

So, I was looking for a better way to quote a locked topic then I figured out this...

Let's start...
You gonna need another topic/post which is not locked. I will pick one of my topic which was created on Scam Accusations board few days ago. I will take this opportunity to aware you with this new trick that the scammers using to scam the members. Here is the topic I will use: SCAM ALERT!!! Lost 0.08 BTC [Please stay safe]

1st - grab some information from the locked topic:

1. Click on the topic/post title
2. Get the message ID
Code:
3. Get the topic ID
Code:

2nd - let's deal with the unlocked topic.

1. Click on quote button.

2. Replace the underlined ID next to "quote=" text on the URL with message ID from the locked topic.
Code:
     2a. Press enter
You will see the contents from the locked topic
3. Replace the underlined ID next to "topic=" text with the topic ID from the locked topic.
Code:

Now you can do your things. Copy the contents you want to quote and paste it on the topic/post you are replying.  Smiley

Have you noticed the small edit icon on your right bottom corner of a topic you posted?
Well this one I guess we ignore most of the times. At-least I do even though I know it exists. Here is the icon:
Once you click on the icon, it does not load the whole page. Only the content area will load for you to edit/update and once you click on button then it just toggles back and save the updates. The benefit is that you are not loading the entire page to edit/update your post.

The useless delete feature for you to delete others post.
This is actually an error I guess. It does not work for a good reason.
~
Seems like it's a common feature...
If someone comment on your topic then on their post history page there will be a delete button for that post only.

i.e: pugman's post history archived.

pugman made a comment on one of my topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4779921.msg43154825#msg43154825

The post history page of pugman and it shows me that I can delete it.

This comment has not made on any of my topic, so I can not see the delete button for this.

A Global moderator can post on a locked topic. My guess is admin, moderator and staffs can do the same.
I didn't unlock it. I can post in locked threads due to wizardry.

Thoughts?

Be happy be at peace. Looking forward to BTC at $1M

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LoyceMobile

Activity: 1655
Merit: 687

LoyceV on the road. Or couch.

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2018, 03:46:19 AM

Thoughts: the title is useless, it should describe the thread instead of trying to be clickbait.
I've also seen a similar topic not so long ago. Its trivial information, but too much work to use.

LoyceV on the road Advertise here for LN Don't deal with this account (exception)
Advertise here for LN Tip my kids Exchange LN (20 coins). 1% fee. No KYC <€50/month
My useful topics: Meritt & Trust & Moreee Art Advertise here for LN Foru[url=https://bitcointalk.org/m
mdayonliner (OP)
Copper Member

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 06:25:22 AM

Thoughts: the title is useless, it should describe the thread instead of trying to be clickbait.
Ola! Changed the title. Thank you.

I've also seen a similar topic not so long ago. Its trivial information, but too much work to use.
Ahh, there you go. Good to know that someone else also using it. Yeah, too much work but worth it.

Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2018, 06:37:14 AM

Looks like a lot of work. I just cut and paste the relevnt text, and add quote tags manually.

Alternatively, you can link to the post with a suitable comment.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
Silent26

Activity: 602
Merit: 326

Politeness: 1227: - 0 / +1

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 06:45:00 AM

There are still some thing that this trick could not actually do. Based on your tutorial, in order to quote a locked topic you should copy and paste its contents then what you will only got is the plain text of the locked thread. You won't be able to quote it's image, text format (Bold, Italic, underline, strike through, color, font style and font size), text alignments (center, left,), table, list, horizontal line, quoted reply, and text with links unless you do it manually which will take some time.

404 Not Found
Husna QA
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 2863

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2018, 06:50:09 AM
Last edit: August 12, 2018, 01:03:23 PM by Husna QA

Exempli gratia:
Re: How Quote Post if Topic Has Ben Lock

There are still some thing that this trick could not actually do. Based on your tutorial, in order to quote a locked topic you should copy and paste its contents then what you will only got is the plain text of the locked thread. You won't be able to quote it's image, text format (Bold, Italic, underline, strike through, color, font style and font size), text alignments (center, left,), table, list, horizontal line, quoted reply, and text with links unless you do it manually which will take some time.
I can do it. e.g.:
Locked thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4812928.msg43496564#msg43496564

That's the reason why you're the opposite of your username. You don't even use "Search" in the forum.

Oh I'm sorry you're just a newbie. Maybe you just don't know what it looks like and where it is located. Just look at the top right area of the forum, it should look like this Smiley

mdayonliner (OP)
Copper Member

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 07:11:15 AM

Blow me! I missed that post, in fact that was just after my post on that topic LOL
Anyway seems like I was 99% wrong  Tongue
I will lock the topic in the next 24 hours since it does not have much use now.

~
You haven't read the whole topic  Grin We are actually talking about including everything like we can for an unlocked topic.

~
Yes, IT IS a lot of work however someone who has much time like me, don't mind it at all  Smiley

o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 07:29:52 AM

As mentioned, and as I replied to your last post on this topic, here is a much easier way to do it (that I just did myself in under 20 seconds):

Find the post you want to quote, and click on its title to reload the page to that specific post. Then copy the message number (last 8 digits) from the URL.

Then, in the thread you want to reply in, click on "quote" on any post. In the URL bar on the new page, paste over the 8 digits after "quote=" with your new 8 digits. Press enter.

To ensure the quote links properly, you then need to take the 7 digits after "topic=" from the original post (as in step 1), and paste them over the digits after "link=topic=" in the body of your reply.
The Cryptovator
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 2174

Need PR/CMC & CG? TG @The_Cryptovator

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2018, 08:06:38 AM

I will not called it " quote ", because you can't quote locked thread. You can call it redirect link. I was did before same like. We need copy post and make it quote on our post. We can simply redirect by
(quote= tread link)
Copy paste quote from other

It will redirect on the thread. I think no need lot of work.

Also o_e_l_e_o given best example and short cut.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
inPRIVACYweBELIEVE

Activity: 164
Merit: 35

Earn 20% ref commission https://bit.ly/2MaHCEr

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2018, 09:20:49 AM

~snip~

Locked topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4812928.msg43544570#msg43544570
really - there is no fucking excuse for people to make threads without searching 1st.

Quoted! And I guess I did it correctly? Thanks OP.

IPBTT Signature Campaign Management [Legendary Vouch] 20% Ref Commission
50% OFF for first week service charge. Highest Standard & Zero Spam Policy will be ensured.
Silent26

Activity: 602
Merit: 326

Politeness: 1227: - 0 / +1

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 10:02:42 AM

You haven't read the whole topic  Grin We are actually talking about including everything like we can for an unlocked topic.
Ooops, my bad, it's really working. Actually I read the whole thread but what made me wrong is I didn't try it, I just read it.
I try to change the Id next to "quote" with the message Id of the locked topic and I'm surprised that the whole contents of the locked topic appeared. I thought that the "copy the contents" you're talking about is copy the locked thread like this...

This what makes me a little bit confused because I misunderstood it.

Well, it's really working. Nice tutorial mdayonliner. They might say that something like this topic has been discussed before but I'm still grateful that you've posted it here because if you didn't,  I won't found out a useful trick like this Smiley

404 Not Found
mdayonliner (OP)
Copper Member

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 11:37:09 AM

Ooops, my bad, it's really working. Actually I read the whole thread but what made me wrong is I didn't try it, I just read it.
I try to change the Id next to "quote" with the message Id of the locked topic and I'm surprised that the whole contents of the locked topic appeared.
Well, it's really working. Nice tutorial mdayonliner. They might say that something like this topic has been discussed before but I'm still grateful that you've posted it here because if you didn't,  I won't found out a useful trick like this Smiley
Glad to know someone found it useful  Smiley
Time to lock the topic. Thanks everyone.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: