Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:45:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Exchanges shutting down  (Read 4531 times)
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 12:38:04 PM

The exchanges take their fee from both sides of the transaction - so you can double any estimate.
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 12:39:20 PM

Remember 2 things people: DCMA (well most probably weren't even intersted in 'this stuff' back then)
and the US Patriot Act.

Both have their equivalent all over Europe and the Asian industrialized nations heck even the whole world. Don't be that naive  Angry 
link to the EU Patriot Act, please?
I don't know what it is called where you live, every nation has it's own implementation.
can you even imagine a world without it?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2011, 12:42:51 PM

Remember 2 things people: DCMA (well most probably weren't even intersted in 'this stuff' back then)
and the US Patriot Act.

Both have their equivalent all over Europe and the Asian industrialized nations heck even the whole world. Don't be that naive  Angry 
I don't know what it is called where you live, every nation has it's own implementation.

I can imagine may things, basically all I ever do  Embarrassed
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 12:48:31 PM

I can imagine may things, basically all I ever do  Embarrassed
certainly not. come to denmark

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 01:29:32 PM

It was actually pretty scary (I remember reading it in 2005), but thankfully never ratified, as far as I can tell:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_establishing_a_Constitution_for_Europe

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 01:33:27 PM

It was actually pretty scary (I remember reading it in 2005), but thankfully never ratified, as far as I can tell:

+1 see? Europe is better, ElectricMucus.

Crypt_Current

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 01:39:44 PM

Well, for what it's worth, I remember reading a draft of this treaty back in 2005 and it scared the shit out of me.  I'm currently trying to dig that up...  France and the Dutch held their ground against this thing for a reason.

And, I live in the USA and I am a proud American and I love my country, so please stop hatin'; however, I will defend your right to hate. (but only so far on any given day ... depends on my mood).

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 01:45:42 PM

Well, for what it's worth, I remember reading a draft of this treaty back in 2005 and it scared the shit out of me.  I'm currently trying to dig that up...  France and the Dutch held their ground against this thing for a reason.

And, I live in the USA and I am a proud American and I love my country, so please stop hatin'; however, I will defend your right to hate. (but only so far on any given day ... depends on my mood).
oh im not hating, we just better than you, except for making burgers Tongue

Crypt_Current

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 01:48:19 PM

But yous are haves bad grammar  XD

kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 01:50:32 PM

But yous are haves bad grammar  XD
oh yes, im not a one native English speakering.

Serge
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 04:02:49 PM

OP, lets call it the end now and release you once for all from returning back here Wink
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2011, 04:26:31 PM

Well... unless I'm living under a rock

In the June 2007 European summit meeting, Member States agreed to abandon the constitution and to amend the existing treaties, which would remain in force. They also agreed a detailed mandate for a new intergovernmental conference to negotiate a new treaty containing such amendments to the existing treaties (primarily the Treaty of Rome and the Treaty of Maastricht). These negotiations were completed by the end of the year, the new treaty which had previously been referred to as the Reform Treaty become the Lisbon Treaty on its signing in Lisbon on 13 December 2007.
And this is almost as bad, but besides the case (or not it still reduces the sovereignty of member states and so increases centralization)

I live in Austria, we have something here called the "Sicherheitspolizeigesetz" which is essentially the Patriot act adopted for a small nation without substantial military resources but it reduces civil liberties non the less and was adopted imminently after the USA did their Patriot Act.
While some implementations of whatever you may call it may sound more liberal at first glance if you look into it it basically means the same pretext can be applied in the same exact way as in the "big thing" from the US.

Right there are some places in the industrialized world which lead the whole thing in terms of practical usage, I wouldn't want to live in London, NYC or Singapore but besides some hotspots there is a continuous trend towards a more police state like society as well.
d.james

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 12pqwk

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 04:33:37 PM

Now look at the volumes in dollars.  The standard 0.6% commission rate yields about $8000 per month for Mt. Gox, $810 per month for Tradehill, and $384 a month for Btc-E.  And that's a maximum; many big traders get discounts.
AFAIK, Mt.Gox charges 0.6% standard commission for both buyers and sellers, effectively they're charging 1.2% for each trade.
So they're getting $16,000 a month max(assuming your $8000 figure was correct),still not a lot but surely looks twice as better.

You can not roll a BitCoin, but you can rollback some. Cheesy
Roll me back: 1NxMkvbYn8o7kKCWPsnWR4FDvH7L9TJqGG
Nagle (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2011, 05:22:20 PM

Average volume for the past month looks like about $150k USD/day, which at 0.5% commission, is $750/day, or $22500 per month.  Are you sure you were looking at volume in dollars, and not volume in bitcoins?  $8000 per month / .006 = $1.3M per month, and they had $600k in currency volume yesterday alone.
You are right. Sorry.

Of course, with Bitcoins at $2.50 or so, the difference isn't that big any more. Even Mt. Gox's $22K a month isn't much for a business in Tokyo which has a few employees, a server farm, bank transaction costs, and substantial exposure to theft losses.

Every other exchange is making too little money to survive.
Zotia

Merit: 501

TokenUnion-Get Rewarded for Holding Crypto

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 06:31:46 PM

Now look at the volumes in dollars.  The standard 0.6% commission rate yields about $8000 per month for Mt. Gox, $810 per month for Tradehill, and $384 a month for Btc-E.

The current 30 day volumes for those sites at the time of this post... 
(See http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/ for current numbers).

6,136,000 USD for MTGOX
619,000 USD for TH
293,000 USD for BTCE

Now let's calculate their monthly income at 0.6% commission that is taken from both sides of the trade...

MTGOX... 6,136,000 USD * 0.006 * 2 = 73,632 USD
TH... 619,000 USD * 0.006 * 2 = 7,428 USD
BTCE... 293,000 USD * 0.006 * 2 = 3,516 USD

You are off by nearly an order of magnitude.

And that's a maximum; many big traders get discounts.
The lowest commission rate at mtgox is 0.25%, so let's use that as a minimum...

MTGOX... 6,136,000 USD * 0.0025 * 2 = 30,680 USD
TH... 619,000 USD * 0.0025 * 2 = 3,095 USD
BTCE... 293,000 USD * 0.0025 * 2 = 1,465 USD

▄████████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████████
███████                ██████
███████                ██████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
███████▀▀▀▀██    ██▀▀▀▀███████
███████    ██    ██    ███████
███████    ▀██▄▄██▀    ███████
███████▄     ▀▀▀▀     ▄███████
████████▄            ▄████████
██████████▄▄      ▄▄██████████
██████████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████████▀
.TokenUnion.

Reinventing Savings via Cryptoeconomically
Incentivized Holding

████▄▄▄
   ██  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄
   ██        ▀▀▀███▄
  ██     ▄██▄     ██
  ██     ▀██▀     ██
 ██   ███▄▄▄     ██
 ██     ▀▀▀███   ██
██   ███▄▄▄     ██
██     ▀▀▀███   ██
▀███▄▄▄        ██
   ▀▀▀████▄▄▄  ██
         ▀▀▀████
WP
■  Telegram     ■  Github
            ■  Reddit     ■  Twitter
old_engineer

Activity: 387
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 06:35:19 PM

The lowest commission rate at mtgox is 0.25%, so let's use that as a minimum...

MTGOX... 6,136,000 USD * 0.0025 * 2 = 30,680 USD
TH... 619,000 USD * 0.0025 * 2 = 3,095 USD
BTCE... 293,000 USD * 0.0025 * 2 = 1,465 USD

Back when hey had a flat 0.6% back in June, they made $42,000 IN ONE DAY when volume was $3.5M, and have had a number of days over $20k.  I guess there still is a lot of interest in bitcoin, wouldn't you agree Nagle? Smiley

The network effect is strong, and though 2-3 exchanges would be nice, the fact that bitcoin doesn't need any exchanges is worth pointing out yet again.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 08:50:53 PM

Regarding exchange revenue, two factors which make it hard (for me) to do the math are as follows:

1) who does dark pool stuff (at least CampBX iirc) and if anyone, is it possible to obtain some rough numbers here?

2)  The overhead of dealing with funding hassles, fraud, AML stuff, etc must be significant.  I would guess that would even a majority of the operating expenses for an enterprise which is big enough to do it semi-adequately, and then even if it is about as well automated as possible.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2011, 08:52:28 PM

For all I care they could all shut down.

A decentralized exchange method will come up.

#bitcoin-otc

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 09:51:57 PM

When I went past MtGox's office in July it was unfortunately a Saturday and closed, but the offices were part of a major corporation, not a small bitcoin trading company.  They might rent some space or use some of the hosting services for the IT company there, but not a proper "store front".

More likely they operate out of the "home" address that was hunted up some months ago.  Plus, the cost of running it once it is set up is smaller.
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2011, 06:19:07 AM

A decentralized exchange method will come up.

A huge part of we call an "exchange" is largely an "interface to the fiat banking system".

The fiat banking system will not interface with a decentralized exchange.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: