Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:32:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Warning: How many of you Bears have ever been a victim of a Short Squeeze?  (Read 43736 times)
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 04:07:20 PM

>1300 logged onto mtgoxlive, the highest i've ever seen, and the price is slowly moving UP with a bid wall of $125K.  i like SLOW PAINFUL SQUEEZES. 

If you are really so confident, please buy on Bitcoinica with margin.

I can give you $1 to try it out.

my balance would exceed your reserves.

Alright, please just deposit $4,000.

I will give you $20,000 tradable balance. Let's see.

i might just take you up on that. 

actually i've decided i'm rooting for you now at the expense of the shorts @Bitcoinica.  i hope you tighten that algorithm up so tight that guys like BitMagic get bitch slapped on the next few spikes UP. 

he's a dummy not realizing that its you or him in an illiquid delayed situation where you have all the power.  i can't wait.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2011, 04:21:02 PM

play money.
We don't need your kind here.

^^^
I think bulls and bears, we both agree on that.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 04:24:00 PM

you have to ask yourself, with the price in the $2's, what were all those >1350 people logged into mtgoxlive doing this morning?  were these yet MORE early adopters getting ready to dump their 10's of thousands of Bitcoins onto the market NOW after a drop from $32 down to here?

or were they more likely BUYERS who have driven up the bid wall to $130K and have market buys ready to trigger at the next spike UP?  everyone would love the chance to be an early adopter and here it is.  these bulls are locked and ready to pull the trigger on the next few spikes.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 04:25:00 PM

play money.

^^^

stop your crying.  you're being ridiculous.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2011, 04:26:45 PM

play money.

^^^

stop your crying.  you're being ridiculous.

Bulls make profits, Bears make profits, Pigs get slaughtered.
go fuck yourself.
BitMagic

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 04:32:51 PM

actually i've decided i'm rooting for you now at the expense of the shorts @Bitcoinica.  i hope you tighten that algorithm up so tight that guys like BitMagic get bitch slapped on the next few spikes UP. 

he's a dummy not realizing that its you or him in an illiquid delayed situation where you have all the power.  i can't wait.

Roll Eyes What makes you think I only hold short positions? Smiley

I know you're mad that people are making money where you can't. It's ok, because I am enjoying watching you act like a child.

Please give me your money, because I am a shameless libertarian elite who deserves your money more than you do: 9Hkao8U82WWDp6SQGn4k7ad9gT1LWeL5s3
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 04:38:36 PM

actually i've decided i'm rooting for you now at the expense of the shorts @Bitcoinica.  i hope you tighten that algorithm up so tight that guys like BitMagic get bitch slapped on the next few spikes UP.  

he's a dummy not realizing that its you or him in an illiquid delayed situation where you have all the power.  i can't wait.

I know you're mad that people are making money where you can't. It's ok, because I am enjoying watching you act like a child.

i'd say the children like you here on the Spec Forum just aren't used to having a Bull around to mess up your short positions.  i'm loving the rage.

edit:  now i know how BitcoinExpress feels!
BitMagic

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 06:03:01 PM

i'd say the children like you here on the Spec Forum just aren't used to having a Bull around to mess up your short positions.

Yeah, that's it. No bulls at all around here. Do you even read what you write?

Please give me your money, because I am a shameless libertarian elite who deserves your money more than you do: 9Hkao8U82WWDp6SQGn4k7ad9gT1LWeL5s3
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 06:25:48 PM

Not only that, sold his gold to invest in btc.  True believer bagholder right here.   

yes, bought silver btwn $9-12 and sold at $44.  bought gold at $550 and sold btwn $1550 and $1650.  nice healthy returns all plowed into Bitcoin.  play money.

First $1000 bag at around $4.30 iirc, and more thereafter.  The yellow one I started in at the 'big decline' at around $375 if my memory serves, and had to take a loss for some number of months.  I've not sold almost any, so I'm still a 'bag holder' in a fairly literal sense.  Switched over to property this year although I expect to sit on a loss there for a few years but kind of break even on rental income.

But the salary keeps rolling in so I've been taking a position in BTC to see what happens there.  It's a much more exciting investment and it is my fondest hope that 1) it will live and become a game-changer, and 2) that I will have enough of a position to contribute to making the game go the right way even if it means a personal monetary loss.  Both are what I consider to be very long shots.

If I sell BTC or PM's, I will end up with USD which I don't need and tax hassles which I don't want so it is pointless to me.  Plus, I don't think that the fireworks in PM's have even started yet.  BTC...not so sure Smiley

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2011, 07:02:32 PM

6/7 days up.

You have a ridiculously short memory. Up from...$2.5? Nice. Good luck recovering your losses. What you buy at, $28?

Dunno about the two of you but my memory goes back to 3 cents.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
BitMagic

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 08:07:11 PM

6/7 days up.

You have a ridiculously short memory. Up from...$2.5? Nice. Good luck recovering your losses. What you buy at, $28?

I wasn't talking about a year ago. I was talking about his 6/7 days up. Read good much?

miscreanity
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 08:18:21 PM

As soon as you Bulls are not trying to appeal to fear I would join you. Till then see you at $1... or a fraction of that... it's all about the state of mind.

The decrease in external currency flow volume is a strong indication that the current exchange rate has stabilized for now.

Granted, the continuing inflation of the Bitcoin unit base will provide substantial downward pressure for a while yet. This requires inflow from other forms of wealth to be offset, but considering the overall size of the Bitcoin economy, not much is necessary. Any excess from another wave of interest would easily drive up the exchange rate.

If BTC holders with large balances decide to sell as the price rises, that would serve to maintain stability during inflow.

Note the volume in currency (USD):

A Logarithmic representation makes it easier to see the magnitude and stages of decline, while the standard chart below (with Bitcoin volume) shows the gradual tapering of absolute price volatility.

Paying attention to the BTC volume versus the USD volume is interesting. It is apparent that there is very little flow entering or leaving the Bitcoin micro-economy. Therefore, the volume in BTC won't change the exchange rate much despite coming into a fairly steady range of almost double that from before the June spike high.

What that suggests is there is a significant amount of wealth (relative to Bitcoin, not major currencies) that has split off from other currencies and taken up residence in the Bitcoin economy. In other words, the pool (EUR, USD, etc) has been drained slightly while the cup (BTC, NMC, etc) has been filled up; June was an overflow that simply saw the excess spillover from the cup and return to the pool. As offered earlier, additional waves of interest are likely to deposit additional reserves of wealth so long as the underlying technical structure of Bitcoin (encryption, triple-entry accounting block chain, sovereign usage over persistent network domination, etc) remains intact.

There is a danger that funds stored in Bitcoin could become trapped rather quickly should a major internal component be compromised, but it certainly doesn't seem that anything in the immediate future has the capability of doing so. Could the exchange rate go lower from here? Absolutely. The Bitcoin economy is small enough that it could very easily suffer a mortal blow that would marginalize its relevance for an extended period. However, I don't see anything on a 6-month horizon that would cause such a situation.

I'm not short bitcoin, even though I think the value of each coin will hit a couple of cents within a year as speculators flee, too many people try to mine, and another digital cryptocurrency replaces bitcoin.  I choose to hold stable currencies like the dollar and other investments that are less volatile.

Bitcoin is useless as a currency (nobody would use USD if it took 5 minutes to confirm correct change, and is why nobody uses btc), will be replaced by better crypto-models (blockchain on every client, and it's absolutely gigantic, built-in deflationary currency model creates too much scarcity, and good currencies are liquid), and 95% of coins are held by speculators or the original creators.

What "stable" currencies? Both the Euro and USD have experienced tremendous volatility of ~25% over the past few months (major peak to trough ranges) after having seen ~10% overall rise/decline (respectively) in the first half of 2011. All other currencies are buffeted by action in the majors, some experiencing much greater swings.

A decline in Bitcoin to a superior alternative would not be instantaneous, but a process. It is also unlikely that a completely overwhelming competitor would arise in such a short period, especially when there are trade-offs to any design decisions. There is room to improve on Bitcoin, but it still remains an elegantly simple system. Besides, expecting Bitcoin to be replaced instead of improved upon is a blind assumption.

Perhaps your definition of "useless" could be expanded upon. Bitcoin is useless for purchasing goods and services at the vast majority of establishments, yes. It would also be difficult to use gold and silver, stock certificates, gov't bonds (held by "speculators"?) or most foreign currencies for that purpose. However, it performs exactly as it is supposed to when acting as a currency for storage and transfer of wealth. It takes up to 72 hours for most international wire transfers, sometimes longer. Bitcoin generally does this in a matter of hours at most. Gold and silver offer a great degree of individual control over the monetary unit without a centralized authority, as does Bitcoin.

The death of Bitcoin has been greatly exaggerated.

author=BitMagic link=topic=48850.msg594281#msg594281 date=1319642888]
6/7 days up.

Not only that, sold his gold to invest in btc.  True believer bagholder right here.    

fuck...   Shocked

It's ok, he didn't sell all of it...

Bulls make profits, Bears make profits, Pigs get slaughtered.
go fuck yourself.

Bulls... check.
Bears... check.
Pigs... check.
Sheep...

Are you calling him a sheep?

But the salary keeps rolling in so I've been taking a position in BTC to see what happens there.  It's a much more exciting investment and it is my fondest hope that 1) it will live and become a game-changer, and 2) that I will have enough of a position to contribute to making the game go the right way even if it means a personal monetary loss.  Both are what I consider to be very long shots.

If I sell BTC or PM's, I will end up with USD which I don't need and tax hassles which I don't want so it is pointless to me.  Plus, I don't think that the fireworks in PM's have even started yet.  BTC...not so sure Smiley

Excellent: those are some truly critical points. Much of the professional investment community is looking to dividend paying stocks to bolster their portfolios during stagflation. Plenty have already sought out tax havens. Both of those are subject to political machinations, so how long until a greater percentage of the progressives in the investment world decide that Bitcoin offers potential returns in addition to relative tax freedom without the typical barriers (offshore presence with an international trust or business incorporation, foreign bank accounts, legal fees etc)?

I like long-term. Another visual representation of USD flowing into BTC.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 12:30:42 AM
Last edit: October 27, 2011, 01:04:43 AM by cypherdoc

actually i've decided i'm rooting for you now at the expense of the shorts @Bitcoinica.  i hope you tighten that algorithm up so tight that guys like BitMagic get bitch slapped on the next few spikes UP.  

he's a dummy not realizing that its you or him in an illiquid delayed situation where you have all the power.  i can't wait.

you sir are a DUMBSHIT.

from the Zhoutonged thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=49445.msg594444#msg594444

so we have ascertained you have long and short positions at Bitcoinica and are overall net short. Roll Eyes  why don't you just take the net position and put on the short?  the classic long/short setup usu involves 2 different assets like the Dow and Gold.  the hedger knows these usu move together and for the last 10 yrs or so Gold moves up faster when they both go up and the Dow goes down faster when they both go down.  so the setup would be to be long Gold and short the Dow.  you are long/short the exact same asset in a leveraged, illiquid environment where being Zhoutonged in either direction continuously will eat up your acct in no time.  at the very best most of your positions just offset each other but due to stupidity its much worse than that.

what an IDIOT!
BitMagic

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 01:11:34 AM

you sir are a DUMBSHIT.

from the Zhoutonged thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=49445.msg594444#msg594444

so we have ascertained you have long and short positions at Bitcoinica and are overall net short. Roll Eyes  why don't you just take the net position and put on the short?  the classic long/short setup usu involves 2 different assets like the Dow and Gold.  the hedger knows these usu move together and for the last 10 yrs or so Gold moves up faster when they both go up and the Dow goes down faster when they both go down.  so the setup would be to be long Gold and short the Dow.  you are long/short the exact same asset in a leveraged, illiquid environment where being Zhoutonged in either direction continuously will eat up your acct in no time.  at the very best most of your positions just offset each other but due to stupidity its much worse than that.

what an IDIOT!

Where did I ever say I held both positions simultaneously? Furthermore, I believe you "ascertained" that I was overall net short. Granted, I've held larger and longer in short positions over time, but you just decided to make something up based on my overall feeling about bitcoins.

Feel free to speculate (lol) on my current position, but stop making stupid assumptions that just further showcase you have no idea what you're talking about.

Smiley

miscreanity
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 01:34:18 AM

I'm lost. Is this thread about which direction Bitcoin's exchange rate is going, or an attempt at figuring out what BitMagic's holdings are?
BitMagic

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 02:07:26 AM

I'm lost. Is this thread about which direction Bitcoin's exchange rate is going, or an attempt at figuring out what BitMagic's holdings are?

+1

You should ask Cypherdoc. In fact, every thread of Cypherdoc is the same: attack short-sellers and Bitcoinica because it allows margin trading. Take a look.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 02:30:25 AM

+1

You should ask Cypherdoc. In fact, every thread of Cypherdoc is the same: attack short-sellers and Bitcoinica because it allows margin trading. Take a look.

Wow, one of each!  thats alot. Roll Eyes  in fact, only 2 threads ever started on the Spec Board.  that is severe trolling.

i'm sorry they've gotten so much attention.  in great part to you.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 03:56:44 AM

nice, slow, and controlled pain.
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 04:07:55 AM

Where can we find the net short positions on Zhoutong's exchange?  Chicago Mercantile Exchange or something will announce such statistics

Thanks in advance.

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 04:27:34 AM

Where can we find the net short positions on Zhoutong's exchange?  Chicago Mercantile Exchange or something will announce such statistics

Thanks in advance.

you're not serious are you?  his is a private exchange accountable to no one but himself.  no stats except for him.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »
  Print  

Jump to: