Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 06:47:02 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Predict the next Gox revelation here and win respect from fellow forum members  (Read 3710 times)
thelema93

Activity: 339
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:33:23 AM

The crisis document claims they've lose 742,400 out of 744,400 coins and that they only have 2000 coins left.

Here is my prediction.

The theft related to the transaction malleability was small and probably only 5-20% of their actual funds - all it did was empty their hot wallet and force them to try to redeem their cold wallet. Imo, there is no chance that they lost 99.9% of their bitcoin from that theft, since it would have equated to 500-600 coins per day since mtgox's inception; or $50,000 a day in the long, sustained stable period of a average price of $100 usd/btc.

Upon trying to redeem their huge cold wallets with around 80% of the customer's 774,000 coins; Mark discovered that the private keys could not be recovered due to some bug in his own custom coded software. Ever since he's been stalling for time, trying to recover the keys to the private storage. The document is in fact real, and mark would rather cry theft than admit that he accidentally lost the keys to 772,000 coins. The document was being circulated to potential investors so that Mtgox could be bought and no one would ever know the true depth of Mark's incompetence.

The document was leaked by someone involved in the potential acquisition and that immediately destroyed some interest in the acquisition.

I still believe that Mtgox may be acquired or some outside experts may be brought in to recover the private keys.

The private keys may not be recoverable, and 600,000-700,000 coins are lost forever.

I reckon this could be close to the truth too.
There is no way that 750,000 coins could have been stolen. So Krapeles MUST be lying about that. He did say himself the document was 'legit MORE OR LESS' AND he said that it was NOT produced by Gox. So what does that mean? It means that it is a slightly dodgy document probably made by him to create some kind of effect in the public.
Why would he do that?
Maybe like you said - coz he is such a dumb ass that he forgot his password to the cold storage or something dumb like that. Or maybe an employee stole some funds? Maybe he is pretending funds got stolen so he can get out of some debt?

Or I think the most likely is that HE faked this document to crash the price of bitcoin so he can buy a load on the cheap to claw back what he's lost so far. That makes the most sense to me. Others in the Foundation found out and told him to resign. He thought "great - that will crash the BTC price some more".
Soon as the BTC price rises up to $700 or so, he will sell all his cheap coins and pay off his debts. Hopefully someone else will buy Gox from him and get it running properly.

I'm still totally stunned by the 750,000 BTC thing. HOW can it be true? HOW? He said 'more or less legit' so I am guessing that that part is just a massive LIE for some reason.

Any ideas why he would make that up?

SpeculateThis

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:36:29 AM

From Monday evening - listen to this and you'll have a much better idea as to whats going on:

http://letstalkbitcoin.com/e87-the-captive-and-the-mountain/
Wit22

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:52:01 AM

The crisis document claims they've lose 742,400 out of 744,400 coins and that they only have 2000 coins left.

Here is my prediction.

The theft related to the transaction malleability was small and probably only 5-20% of their actual funds - all it did was empty their hot wallet and force them to try to redeem their cold wallet. Imo, there is no chance that they lost 99.9% of their bitcoin from that theft, since it would have equated to 500-600 coins per day since mtgox's inception; or $50,000 a day in the long, sustained stable period of a average price of $100 usd/btc.

Upon trying to redeem their huge cold wallets with around 80% of the customer's 774,000 coins; Mark discovered that the private keys could not be recovered due to some bug in his own custom coded software. Ever since he's been stalling for time, trying to recover the keys to the private storage. The document is in fact real, and mark would rather cry theft than admit that he accidentally lost the keys to 772,000 coins. The document was being circulated to potential investors so that Mtgox could be bought and no one would ever know the true depth of Mark's incompetence.

The document was leaked by someone involved in the potential acquisition and that immediately destroyed some interest in the acquisition.

I still believe that Mtgox may be acquired or some outside experts may be brought in to recover the private keys.

The private keys may not be recoverable, and 600,000-700,000 coins are lost forever.

I reckon this could be close to the truth too.
There is no way that 750,000 coins could have been stolen. So Krapeles MUST be lying about that. He did say himself the document was 'legit MORE OR LESS' AND he said that it was NOT produced by Gox. So what does that mean? It means that it is a slightly dodgy document probably made by him to create some kind of effect in the public.
Why would he do that?
Maybe like you said - coz he is such a dumb ass that he forgot his password to the cold storage or something dumb like that. Or maybe an employee stole some funds? Maybe he is pretending funds got stolen so he can get out of some debt?

Or I think the most likely is that HE faked this document to crash the price of bitcoin so he can buy a load on the cheap to claw back what he's lost so far. That makes the most sense to me. Others in the Foundation found out and told him to resign. He thought "great - that will crash the BTC price some more".
Soon as the BTC price rises up to $700 or so, he will sell all his cheap coins and pay off his debts. Hopefully someone else will buy Gox from him and get it running properly.

I'm still totally stunned by the 750,000 BTC thing. HOW can it be true? HOW? He said 'more or less legit' so I am guessing that that part is just a massive LIE for some reason.

Any ideas why he would make that up?

I already watched that letstalkbitcoin episode and some of my ideas are based off that information.

Following Charlie Shrem's line of thinking; I believe that MK has over exaggerated the lost amount of coins on purpose in order to increase the perception of mtgox failing as a threat to bitcoin's continued existence. In other words, Mark exaggerated the loss of coins in order to increase the chances of leveraging other big bitcoin players and exchanges to secretly bail out mtgox to protect bitcoin's overall legitimacy and image to the general public.

He never wanted any of this to go public. That's why they lied about how much they lost.
SpeculateThis

Activity: 50

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:05:49 AM

no revelation, but gox is going down and it's gonna bring everyone with it done.

Why do you say that?

Once the letter leaked exposing the damage (aka worst case scenario), the market dropped and found resistance in the 400s.

Now people are now realizing that all BTC holdings not on Gox just got a hell of a lot more valuable since its pretty much confirmed that Gox coins don't exist and some (not all) that lost out will want to buy back in.

edit: fixed your post
btc4ever

Activity: 321

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:13:35 AM

My predictions for next revelation:

a) Mt Gox lost cold storage keys and later found them by themselves.  yay!

- or -

b) Mt Gox lost cold storage keys, fumbled about for days, and finally called in some expert help who unlocked they cold storage.  yay!

- or -

c) Mt Gox lost cold storage keys in such a manner that they can never be recovered and you all lose.  have a nice day.   boo!

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:37:16 AM

mark karpeles reveals that he is satoshi
Mulder

Activity: 6

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:53:58 AM

Gox had been keeping a fractional reserve of bitcoins and had been doing so for years.

They had only one or two coins for every ten coins that people had stored on their exchange.

When the price increased x1000 their liabilities increased x1000 and they had no where near enough fiat to buy coins for everyone to withdraw.
T.Stuart

Activity: 644

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 12:32:22 PM

It's sad to see hope dead cat bounce all the way down.

First it's the (fairly reasonable to begin with) hope that withdrawals will start again, albeit limited.

Then it's the hope (less reasonable) that Gox is being bought out.

Now it's the hope that 750k Bitcoin is in cold storage with some kind of key problem.

I'm feeling every stage.  Sad

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
billington.mark

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 12:58:11 PM

Site gets put back online next week with a rebrand (just a new logo).

btc withdrawals limited to 5btc per day\week purely to stop everyone running with coins and keep the business viable.

Mark announces step-down and takeover from a 3rd party. new CEO publishes a statement listing features\optimizations to the trading engine, altcoin implementations etc to help evolve the business and distance itself from the 'old' mtgox. financial reports published each quarter (similar to bitstamps last announcement).

in a few months, or whenever deposits seem to have built back up and confidence restored, withdrawal limit removed and trading fees reduced as a good will gesture for a set period to entice customers back that fled on the re-opening.

BTC - 1MarkBCmVn3yp1SB9RZZ7VfqJzkpV8Hmdo
BitMessage - BM-GtZkeAbmKGs77FEoigm9TmsQBSfvMB3N
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:05:07 PM

Mark spent $700 million on failed kick starter projects.
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 02:25:23 PM

Someone will buy MtGox for the brand, fully refund all the account and bring a professional platform of trading.. It will ROI within 18 month..
TERA

Activity: 728

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 02:35:08 PM

First it's the (fairly reasonable to begin with) hope that withdrawals will start again, albeit limited.

Now it's the hope that 750k Bitcoin is in cold storage with some kind of key problem.

What makes you think the market is all about gox now? Thare are so many bullish things going on right now that have nothing to do with mtgox - mtgox is just the flavor of the month right now. I think this sudden immense support on bitstamp is coming from investors who are investing in, you know... bitcoin. Not mtgoxcoin.
T.Stuart

Activity: 644

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 03:02:18 PM

What makes you think the market is all about gox now? Thare are so many bullish things going on right now that have nothing to do with mtgox - mtgox is just the flavor of the month right now. I think this sudden immense support on bitstamp is coming from investors who are investing in, you know... bitcoin. Not mtgoxcoin.

Pardon? What do you mean "What makes you think the market is all about gox now?" ?

I'm talking about Gox. This thread is about Gox.

What makes you think that a thread named "Predict the next Gox revelation here" is all about "bullish things going on right now that have nothing to do with mtgox" ?

Post in the right threads.

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
sumantso
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 03:28:16 PM

Mark Karpeles undergoes sex change 'I always felt like a girl'

Would explain his inability to have any sort of control of the money.

Walsoraj (OP)

Activity: 686

Ultranode

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 03:43:09 PM
Last edit: February 27, 2014, 04:04:18 PM by Walsoraj

There is already a youtube video of him fingering his pussy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81QkfGpHeyQ
Tzupy
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:00:10 PM

Funny, but that would take too long. More likely, plastic surgery to alter his facial traits, maybe even fake fingerprints.
If he wants to survive this, he'll have to disappear and assume a new identity.

Sometimes, if it looks too bullish, it's actually bearish
phoenix1

Activity: 798

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:53:16 PM

I think we have a winner ... damn good job in such a short time ...

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves"  - Confucius (China 551BC-479 BC)
jatajuta

Activity: 365

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 07:57:49 PM

He didn't found any investors yet, he is looking for another investors.

The announce will be in the next 24h.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
phoenix1

Activity: 798

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 09:25:52 PM

OK my guess

He had Mike make a very special batch of Frappucino Flavoured Physical Chocolate Bitcoin Bars.
He stored them in a very secure fridge and transferred Gox's BTC onto them. The ultimate cold storage.
Seemed like a good idea at the time.
But those long nights, the stress ... and the occasional SR purchase ... those little Frappo munchies were too much to resist

Technically they are not lost, he knows where they are, but available ... not so much

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves"  - Confucius (China 551BC-479 BC)
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3413

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 09:31:34 PM

Western Union buys MtGox, refunds everyone, surpasses Paypal as the Internet payment provider.
Hikmet Ersek on cover of WSJ, Wired, Playboy. Shocked

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: