Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 12:36:02 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Predict the next Gox revelation here and win respect from fellow forum members  (Read 3708 times)
Salivan

Activity: 195
Merit: 102

DiMS dev team

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 09:52:33 PM

Mark Karpeles's shit  hit the fan
and spread nicely over faces of bit(gox)coin owners
CrashX

Activity: 238
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:09:51 AM

Mark Karpeles undergoes sex change 'I always felt like a girl'

Would explain his inability to have any sort of control of the money.

I think we have a winner ... damn good job in such a short time ...

Wow, I know support Gox  Wink
Lloydie

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 09:17:46 AM

The crisis document claims they've lose 742,400 out of 744,400 coins and that they only have 2000 coins left.

Here is my prediction.

The theft related to the transaction malleability was small and probably only 5-20% of their actual funds - all it did was empty their hot wallet and force them to try to redeem their cold wallet. Imo, there is no chance that they lost 99.9% of their bitcoin from that theft, since it would have equated to 500-600 coins per day since mtgox's inception; or $50,000 a day in the long, sustained stable period of a average price of $100 usd/btc.

Upon trying to redeem their huge cold wallets with around 80% of the customer's 774,000 coins; Mark discovered that the private keys could not be recovered due to some bug in his own custom coded software. Ever since he's been stalling for time, trying to recover the keys to the private storage. The document is in fact real, and mark would rather cry theft than admit that he accidentally lost the keys to 772,000 coins. The document was being circulated to potential investors so that Mtgox could be bought and no one would ever know the true depth of Mark's incompetence.

The document was leaked by someone involved in the potential acquisition and that immediately destroyed some interest in the acquisition.

I still believe that Mtgox may be acquired or some outside experts may be brought in to recover the private keys.

The private keys may not be recoverable, and 600,000-700,000 coins are lost forever.

I think the above is good but I would add the following twist. Mtgox's reserves are recoverable but he only has 500k btcs and is short 240k btcs. He decided to "protect" the wealth of mtgox and hope for a buyer to make up the difference instead of shutting it down. Personally, he has stashed away some btcs for retirement.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:38:05 PM

Here's mine:

U.S. Govt doesn't wish to steal non-criminal people's Bitcoin, but they do badly want the data Mt. Gox has to peruse what they define as criminal activity and fill out certain mappings of economic activity.  These mappings will be handed over to a privately operated taint authority.

Users who were to dumb to pull their BTC out of Mt. Gox over the last half a year will be able to retrieve their BTC by submitting various documentation and registering appropriately.  This registry will be part of the body of data used in for 'legitimate' business to obtain and maintain a 'bitcoin license.'

Karpeles will cooperate fully and be fine.  In fact he'll probably walk away a fairly rich man.

The Bitcoin Foundation will work actively and effectively to pave the way for this new ecosystem paradigm.  As a result many of their membership will have their BTC grandfathered in free of taint even when the origin is fairly questionable.  Those who have rejected the Bitcoin Foundation will have more trouble in this regard.

Well, it's about a month on and I just thought I'd, ya know, reiterate.

I'd say that Mt. Gox 'finding' various hoards is evidence that I was right in that the BTC were not stolen in the normal sense but rather that Mt. Gox's ability to operate freely was damaged due to government pressure.  Agreements about how to un-wind are underway and I continue to suspect that most users will be made whole-ish if they play ball.

I'll continue to predict that this loss of access to a significant pool of wealth will be used as leverage to forge the Bitcoin ecosystem into a form that various parties both within the government and without will find palatable.  And a form which most real Libertarians will not.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
LOADING.READY.RUN

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 05:02:12 PM

The bitcoin community will be devastated to learn that the cake is a lie.

The cake is real!!! Or is it a tarte?  Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ3g6IwrZZg
Cassius
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2014, 05:07:11 PM

Other 'old format' wallets discovered with surprise bitcoins in.

More likely: 'old format' bonus 200,000 was MK's secret stash that he's been putting away a bit at a time to cover Gox's immense losses due to various hacks, incompetence and Frappucino benders over the years. Wasn't going too badly, but then the price dropped and he got caught before he could get the rest.

Most likely: they were his retirement fund.

Whatever, those 200,000 weren't a surprise to Karp. No way do you just forget you had that amount of money.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: