Bitcoin Forum
July 11, 2024, 05:09:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: senator-calls-for-bitcoin-ban-2014  (Read 4237 times)
segeln

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:18:55 AM

Senator Joe Manchin’s Letter About Bitcoin is Outrageous and Un-American
http://theblogchain.com/
anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:25:25 AM

obviously doesn't understand that bitcoin would help most of the people who vote for him.

I am sure he understands that perfectly well. That is the reason he calls for a ban.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
CrashX

Activity: 238
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 09:10:17 AM

I call for ban of the torrent network.

Hell no, I support Torrent... Long live TPB!
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 11:40:14 AM

He should call a ban on USD as well. USD is widely abused by criminals, used by pedophiles,  it can be disruptive for the US and world economy (as we seen in 2007-2008).
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002

Bitcoin

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 02:06:25 PM

Can't blame him, probably still emotional from loosing his GOXcoins.

LOL, +1

I hope everyone that have/had coin/$ in Gox recover those..  Maybe someone, or some entity will buy MtGox for the brand, completely re-build it like a professional exchange, and fund back each account to it's balance.

Maybe I'm a bit too optimistic, but there is many person/entity with too much money arround the world.. Maybe one will see a good business opportunity there... IMO, it's not the end of the GOX story !
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002

Bitcoin

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 02:13:05 PM

I forsee his opponent accepting bitcoins. Large donations incoming.

Can anyone check when the next elections are up? I can't make any sense of the US political system..

Does it really matter?

The D team and the R team are one and the same, anyone who thinks different is a fool. The D team just believes that they are the only good guys and are morally superior but at the same time vote for this type of "protection". The R team tricks people into believing they are for small government, but in reality they are the biggest spenders and supporters of the banks. I say line them all up against the wall.

I like your point of view, you may enjoy this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTbLslkIR2k

Kinda funny, and so true !
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 02:16:37 PM

Can't blame him, probably still emotional from loosing his GOXcoins.

LOL, +1

I hope everyone that have/had coin/$ in Gox recover those..  Maybe someone, or some entity will buy MtGox for the brand, completely re-build it like a professional exchange, and fund back each account to it's balance.

Maybe I'm a bit too optimistic, but there is many person/entity with too much money arround the world.. Maybe one will see a good business opportunity there... IMO, it's not the end of the GOX story !

I'm not so sure myself, the MtGox brand is tainted right now and many want nothing to do with it anymore. Must be a philantropist with many billions lying around who would want to buy it up and bail out its users. Bill Gates maybe? lol

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 02:42:08 PM

I forsee his opponent accepting bitcoins. Large donations incoming.

Can anyone check when the next elections are up? I can't make any sense of the US political system..

Does it really matter?

The D team and the R team are one and the same, anyone who thinks different is a fool. The D team just believes that they are the only good guys and are morally superior but at the same time vote for this type of "protection". The R team tricks people into believing they are for small government, but in reality they are the biggest spenders and supporters of the banks. I say line them all up against the wall.

I like your point of view, you may enjoy this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTbLslkIR2k

Kinda funny, and so true !

In an interview with Stefan Molineux he introduced himself jokingly as "Peter Joseph Stalin". After listening to him I feel the nick is appropriate.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
dynodog

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 03:03:19 PM

not sure the world you live in.. but NOBODY in the real one knows about bitcoin.. in general you hope they know the word bitcoin and say.. ohh yea.. i hear people talking about it

obviously doesn't understand that bitcoin would help most of the people who vote for him.

that has been my experience too.  people in general know almost nothing about it, but they sure as hell heard that people were cheated out of lot of money.  their response will be to go nowhere near it.  the response of politicians who hear about people getting cheated is to do something about it whether it's regulating it to death or banning it. 
Khadaji

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 02:06:47 AM

The Senator must oppose a currency he can't get his greedy fat fingers on.

You put your finger on the problem. If the government cannot regulate and tax it - it should be illegal.

Freedom is lost in small increments...
testcoin

Activity: 465
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 03:09:22 AM

That's not a good news anyway.

Imagine if the US really bans bitcoin one day, bitcoin price must fall sharply.

And probably less people will visit this forum as well.

Schleicher

Activity: 675
Merit: 513

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:57:17 AM

He should call a ban on USD as well. USD is widely abused by criminals, used by pedophiles,  it can be disruptive for the US and world economy (as we seen in 2007-2008).
You mean like this?
http://polis.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=371808
Today, U.S. Congressman Jared Polis (D-CO) sent a letter to federal regulators seeking a ban on United States dollar bills, a currency that is unregulated and unstable, and has been used in illicit activity, including drug trafficking and money laundering.

kizzoboy

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2014, 03:27:44 AM

His call to ban bitcoin is ironic in light of the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in the Citizens United case in 2010 which held that:

"Political spending is a form of protected speech under the First Amendment, and the government may not keep corporations or unions from spending money to support or denounce individual candidates in elections. While corporations or unions may not give money directly to campaigns, they may seek to persuade the voting public through other means, including ads, especially where these ads were not broadcast."

http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/citizens-united-v-federal-election-commission/

So if bitcoin is considered a currency (in additional to being a protocol), it should be legal to spend it as a form of protected political speech.

You are correct.  I work at a political action committee (IRS 527) that focuses specifically on accepting bitcoin as contributions.

www.coinpac.org
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: