Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:23:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Correspondence with the XCP White Hat  (Read 5426 times)
busoni (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

Owner of Poloniex

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 07:14:50 AM
Last edit: February 28, 2014, 07:01:11 AM by busoni

As many of you know, about a week ago, a hacker found a major security hole in the Counterparty protocol that enabled him to send XCP from anyone's address. He used this to send 35,000 XCP from the Poloniex wallet to himself, which he then deposited into his own Poloniex account. He then sold the XCP for 150 BTC and withdrew 115 BTC. Following that, he explained the security hole and offered to return the BTC. He has still not returned the BTC, but my correspondence with him is ongoing.

Users have asked to see the correspondence and the Counterparty developers have all given the OK on publishing it, so here it is: https://poloniex.com/correspondence.pdf

There was more to his message from today, which I have not included because it arrived after the developers gave the OK.

Poloniex.com - Fast crypto exchange with margin trading, advanced charts, and stop-limit orders

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sadface

Activity: 434

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 07:55:56 AM

i wonder what takes him so long to return those btc
Chuck

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:04:49 AM

Thanks for posting,

So - Anyone live in Brazil? How hard is it to send this guy some Reais so he can have a day's worth of time on the Internet!

(It's so strange I think I believe him)

BTC: 1CKytBzLeA1QcFM33qgi9YWPq1ax3XEJ84
metraX

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:15:58 AM

You write him, "by Tristan D'Agosta on Wed, Feb 19 at 11:22 AM ... You asked for an address to send the BTC to before, this is the address: 1My4UPJ1tGDEGxck3W94BSZwTcEAE7Pfj8"

Looks like he sent you 50 back ??
On the 22nd ??  https://blockchain.info/address/1My4UPJ1tGDEGxck3W94BSZwTcEAE7Pfj8

yashin

Activity: 35

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:18:52 AM

If he truly wanted to steal those BTC, I dont see why he would be contacting them?
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 09:04:20 AM

I am pretty familiar with Brazil.. I dated a girl that was from there for a couple years and even visited there for a month once. There is a lot of poverty in Brazil, and if he is a custodian at a hostel, I can guarantee he doesn't make more than $80 a month. At current prices that 120 BTC is equal to 71 years of work...

I'm sorry, but you're never going to get this BTC back.  Sad
PyroClasTix

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 09:30:57 AM

This is interesting. Hmmm...will stay tuned.
JakeThePanda

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:07:44 PM

I think there are only 24 Starbucks locations in Brazil and we know what time he was there.  He already left too much information for even a crappy detective.  I guess getting the video surveillance from Starbucks would be a problem.
qznc

Activity: 14

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 01:30:05 PM

I think there are only 24 Starbucks locations in Brazil and we know what time he was there.  He already left too much information for even a crappy detective.  I guess getting the video surveillance from Starbucks would be a problem.

Assuming that he did not lie about Starbucks or Brazil or everything.
iampingu

Activity: 350

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:39:33 PM

Lies? On the Internet?
JakeThePanda

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 02:43:54 PM

I think there are only 24 Starbucks locations in Brazil and we know what time he was there.  He already left too much information for even a crappy detective.  I guess getting the video surveillance from Starbucks would be a problem.

Of course, but I don't think so.  Why would he go though any of this if his initial intention was to run off with the dough. I think he started off being genuine and that's when he mentioned where he was and what he does for a living.  It doesn't matter.  It's not like anyone is going to investigate.
busoni (OP)

Activity: 364

Owner of Poloniex

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:24:10 PM

You write him, "by Tristan D'Agosta on Wed, Feb 19 at 11:22 AM ... You asked for an address to send the BTC to before, this is the address: 1My4UPJ1tGDEGxck3W94BSZwTcEAE7Pfj8"

Looks like he sent you 50 back ??
On the 22nd ??  https://blockchain.info/address/1My4UPJ1tGDEGxck3W94BSZwTcEAE7Pfj8

He did, he just told me. For some reason, the deposits never credited to the account, so I missed them. The 50 BTC is being returned to users as we speak.

He also said he plans to return the other 65, pending my agreement not to hold him responsible for anything.

Poloniex.com - Fast crypto exchange with margin trading, advanced charts, and stop-limit orders
MysticalPotato

Activity: 91

Stop the potato genocide!

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:03:11 PM

As many of you know, about a week ago, a hacker found a major security hole in the Counterparty protocol that enabled him to send XCP from anyone's address. He used this to send 35,000 XCP from the Poloniex wallet to himself, which he then deposited into his own Poloniex account. He then sold the XCP for 150 BTC and withdrew 115 BTC. Following that, he explained the security hole and offered to return the BTC. He has still not returned the BTC, but my correspondence with him is ongoing.

Users have asked to see the correspondence and the Counterparty developers have all given the OK on publishing it, so here it is: https://poloniex.com/correspondence.pdf

There was more to his message from today, which I have not included because it arrived after the developers gave the OK.

What an incredibly weird episode.
A lone cleaner living in near poverty in South America hacking a reputable exchange located 4,000 miles away in N.J.

If this guy returns the entire 115BTC, my faith in humanity would be greatly strengthened.

"Politeness induces morality. Serenity of manners requires serenity of mind.” - Julia Ward Howe

Signature space available for a worthy cause
pgbit

Activity: 771
Merit: 258

Trident Protocol | Simple «buy-hold-earn» system!

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:55:35 PM

What an incredibly weird episode.
A lone cleaner living in near poverty in South America hacking a reputable exchange located 4,000 miles away in N.J.

If this guy returns the entire 115BTC, my faith in humanity would be greatly strengthened.
How to make the story any more unbelievable?

██▄     ▄▄░
▀██▄ ▄██▀
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
████▀                   ▀████
████       ▄▄█████▄▄  ▀▄   ████
████      ▄██████████▄▀    ████
████      ████████▀▀       ████
████  ▄▀ ▄██▀▀▀   ▄██      ████
████   ▀▀     ▄▄███▀       ████
████▄                   ▄████
▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
SECONDLIVE
CHOOSE LIFE      CHOOSE SPACE      CHOOSE FRIENDS
|    Twitter    |  Telegram  |   Medium   |  YouTube  |   Discord   |    TikTok    |    GitHub    |
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   S T A K E   L I T T L E   W I N   B I G   
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
        ▄▄███████▄▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄
   ████████████████████▄
  ███████▀▀▀█████████████
 ██████▌     ▀████████████
███████▀ ▀▀▄▄██▀▀▀█████████
██████             ▀███████
██████▄             ███████
 ███████▄▄        ▄███████
  ███████████▄▄▄▄█████████
   ▀███████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀▀
   ██████████████████████
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 12:56:04 AM

If anyone actually believes this bs story my faith in the IQ of people on this forum is greatly weakened  Roll Eyes
cubicdissection

Activity: 231

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 01:34:40 AM

At any rate, this is the death of Counterparty.

And why is that? 
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 03:05:44 AM

And why is that? 

Well, it was just hacked apparently by an $80 month cleaner. I'm asking my maid to look the code over......she's nearly done with the dusting so i'd get your BTC out whilst you can.

metraX

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 03:10:18 AM

https://blockchain.info/address/1My4UPJ1tGDEGxck3W94BSZwTcEAE7Pfj8

Wow, he just sent the remaining amount. Wow, I did not expect that.
metraX

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 03:21:43 AM

The whole story is complete bullshit.

Inside job, plain as day.

~BCX~

Why would they put an exploit in their code, let it sit for months, then exploit it, then give it all back, making prices drop in meantime?  hurting themselves,  I dont see anything they gain by it?

CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 03:33:40 AM

The whole story is complete bullshit.

Inside job, plain as day.

~BCX~

Why would they put an exploit in their code, let it sit for months, then exploit it, then give it all back, making prices drop in meantime?  hurting themselves,  I dont see anything they gain by it?

/puts tinfoil hat on

If it was indeed an inside job, possibly he realized that the story was somewhat unbelievable and it was going to ruin the exchange's reputation, so he decided to return the BTC to save face and keep the exchange business.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: