Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 06:05:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the most stupid comment you've heard about bitcoin?  (Read 11383 times)
RichG

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:25:17 PM

Last year, I did a presentation on Bitcoin in front of my class. Here are some of the questions they asked:

"How is this better than PayPal?"
"Is this backed by the government?"
"How does this have value if it's not backed by a government?"
"How do I set up a Bitcoin account?"
"Is this stuff regulated like gift cards?"
"Do you need a credit card to use Bitcoin?"

These questions were from some of the smartest people at my school.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1303

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:44:18 PM

If you are looking for a list of the stupidest, most uniformed comments, from what have to be the most technologically ignorant people around, take a look at the comments below this CNN article, but what do you expect:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/28/investing/mt-gox-bankruptcy/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

They covered pretty much everything here except any comments here that had any technical understanding.  By the way, in their view, if you support bitcoin, you are a Fox News watcher according to some of the people there.  Of course if the comment section is an indication of the caliber of the CNN viewer, I'd watch Fox.
Flunder707

Activity: 455

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 05:44:19 PM

That bitcoin will fail because of Mt. Gox   Cheesy

That made me laugh.
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 07:15:05 PM

If you are looking for a list of the stupidest, most uniformed comments, from what have to be the most technologically ignorant people around, take a look at the comments below this CNN article, but what do you expect:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/28/investing/mt-gox-bankruptcy/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

They covered pretty much everything here except any comments here that had any technical understanding.  By the way, in their view, if you support bitcoin, you are a Fox News watcher according to some of the people there.  Of course if the comment section is an indication of the caliber of the CNN viewer, I'd watch Fox.

False dilemma http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_fallacy/False_dilemma, you could choose to watch neither CNN or FOX.

My SO has banned me from buying bitcoin. I watched bitcoin go down to $425 / BTC on coinbase briefly a couple days ago, but I was unable to take advantage of it. My SO has declared, "Bidcoin is just a ponzi scheme cooked up by nerds. If you buy any bidcoin, I will break up with you. I don't sleep with nerds."  Cry
I honestly advise you to get a new SO. And not because of bitcoin. Smiley

What the hell is an SO? Is it like a stock broker?

In this case SO = the chick that has his balls in a glass jar on her desk.

I thought it was like a securities advisor or something like that.

Did you even read the OP? He mentions the SO threatening to stop sleeping with him, that is not the sort of thing a financial advisor says.

(OP stands for "opening post" for those of you unfamiliar with such abbreviations.)

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
dogechode

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 07:18:06 PM

Did you even read the OP? He mentions the SO threatening to stop sleeping with him, that is not the sort of thing a financial advisor says.

(OP stands for "opening post" for those of you unfamiliar with such abbreviations.)

Unless you have a really hot financial adviser that you happen to be banging
RichG

Activity: 434

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 07:19:37 PM

LOL! Where's the +1 button on this forum? Grin
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1303

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 07:48:58 PM

They covered pretty much everything here except any comments here that had any technical understanding.  By the way, in their view, if you support bitcoin, you are a Fox News watcher according to some of the people there.  Of course if the comment section is an indication of the caliber of the CNN viewer, I'd watch Fox.

False dilemma http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_fallacy/False_dilemma, you could choose to watch neither CNN or FOX.

Joke: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke

Woosh: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=woosh

:-)
MashRinx

Activity: 389

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 07:53:48 PM

Any comment with the word "tulips" in it
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 08:39:46 PM

"You take a Bitcoin, divide it into 2 pieces and then you have 2 Bitcoins" (Peter Schiff, paraphrased)

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 12:46:55 AM

"You take a Bitcoin, divide it into 2 pieces and then you have 2 Bitcoins" (Peter Schiff, paraphrased)

LOL! So you should tell him that that is the case with pizzas, but not with bitcoin.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2014, 12:52:52 AM

LOL! So you should tell him that that is the case with pizzas, but not with bitcoin.

endless pizza  Tongue

bitjoint

Activity: 333

Commander of the Hodl Legions

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 12:55:31 AM

hahaha Can't believe Peter is taking that long to grasp the bitcoin concept
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 01:11:54 AM

endless pizza  Tongue

Yeah 2 pieces, but smaller pieces lol.
_Miracle

Activity: 907
Merit: 660

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2014, 01:52:19 AM
Last edit: March 01, 2014, 02:07:25 AM by _Miracle

Most of the questions in this thread aren't that stupid, they're reasonable things for a complete newcomer to ask. They only become stupid when the answer is given but they refuse to hear it and just hold on to their prejudices.

For example, the how do you turn bitcoin into real currency question. That seems reasonable to me. But sadly a lot of people don't ask questions like that in order to learn, they ask them in order to communicate their pre-existing view. They meant to say: bitcoin isn't real money and is too hard to turn into real money.

When they won't get swayed from their view that's the worst thing.

+1

"It's video game money" What I thought for a long time...but there is too much easily accessible information for people to continue to speak out (no ... continue to "rail" using this argument)

From comments in a recent yahoo article (pointed out by another forum member)
Regarding Mt.Gox
"what do you expect when you're investing in something that has no real value? It's not like buying stock in a company that has assets, income ect"

My thoughts...
Apparently this person wasn't aware that many companies (tech especially) IPO without ever having turned a profit (or hey.. show continued net losses in the millions) nevermind having a plan in place on how to turn a profit...the value is in the brand.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/twtr/financials

Wondering if it's legal is fair, a good example is Bernard Von Nothaus (Liberty Dollar) He was in a world of crap for creating a community currency..google him.

It took me awhile to mine because of those concerns.
But I love the idea of bitcoin.
The p2p...and yes the money aspect.
Why has it taken so long for money to catch up with technology? We are experiencing the "why" right now...people like to stay in their comfort zones...even if they ain't that comfortable  Wink

California's new legislation
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/13-14/bill/asm/ab_0101-0150/ab_129_cfa_20140128_174724_asm_floor.html

There 'used' to be more truth in forums than anywhere else.  Twitter:  @cryptobitchicks  Spock: "I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously. To which are you referring?"  INTJ-A
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 02:42:56 PM

Wondering if it's legal is fair, a good example is Bernard Von Nothaus (Liberty Dollar) He was in a world of crap for creating a community currency..google him.

btw: he's recently been interviewed on letstalkbitcoin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whxTKPvfwDQ

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
_Miracle

Activity: 907
Merit: 660

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 07:05:37 PM

btw: he's recently been interviewed on letstalkbitcoin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whxTKPvfwDQ

Thank you! Let's talk bitcoin has a new member ;-)

There 'used' to be more truth in forums than anywhere else.  Twitter:  @cryptobitchicks  Spock: "I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously. To which are you referring?"  INTJ-A
zulu860

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

iseebitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 07:29:28 PM

"Its just stupid its not backed by anything"

"Internet Hipster Shit"

Bitcoins: 157TGFQRUWuBC5pREHcpkXfgCWGrQ9Zti6   iseebitcoins.com
Zimstake: EDEtRKNMUMZrsMCxTKvnz8U2Y84NPQDS2r
Cannabiscoin: CGj3H5AgJKTNeiPCsv2akbQiSSGUjcRjBE
jambola2
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1038

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 07:35:14 PM

LOL! Where's the +1 button on this forum? Grin

The +1 button is at the person's profile.
Go to their profile , check under Bitcoin address and send bitcoins there as a +1 xD

No longer active on bitcointalk, however, you can still reach me via PMs if needed.
V8x8d

Activity: 212
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 09:16:56 PM

What happens if a solar flare hits. As if all other technology is immune to that issue.
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 09:19:41 PM

Today from my step brother.   Text message.

Him:   Say it aint so!

Me:  ?

Him:  Bitcoin.

Me:  ?

Him:  Bitcoin having problems?  Friend texted me saying it filed bankruptcy.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: