Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 05:18:45 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the most stupid comment you've heard about bitcoin?  (Read 11383 times)
davidgdg

Activity: 551
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 01:15:34 PM

"The fact that only 21 million coins can be mined (assuming that does not get altered) is irrelevant when they can be sliced up into 100,000,000 sub units....
When exchanges start working in sub units it may dawn on people that the scarcity argument used to promote Bitcoin is disingenuous rubbish."

Posted by Revans a few months ago here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=332773.msg3569715#msg3569715

To which the best response was this:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=332773.msg3581613#msg3581613

Smiley

"There is only one thing that is seriously morally wrong with the world, and that is politics. By 'politics' I mean all that, and only what, involves the State." Jan Lester "Escape from Leviathan"
freebit13

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 01:56:32 PM

"You have to pay tax on bitcoin" hahahahahahaha!

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
remotemass
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1017

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 02:16:24 PM

That "bitcoin is not so good as a pizza cooked in a microwaver because the former was not featured in the movie Back to the Future and the latter was".

{ Imagine a sequence of bits generated from the first decimal place of the square roots of whole integers that are irrational numbers. If the decimal falls between 0 and 5, it's considered bit 0, and if it falls between 5 and 10, it's considered bit 1. This sequence from a simple integer count of contiguous irrationals and their logical decimal expansion of the first decimal place is called the 'main irrational stream.' Our goal is to design a physical and optical computing system system that can detect when this stream starts matching a specific pattern of a given size of bits. bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166760.0 } Satoshi did use a friend class in C++ and put a comment on the code saying: "This is why people hate C++".
CryptoPanda (OP)

Activity: 882
Merit: 302

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 02:25:47 PM

That "bitcoin is not so good as a pizza cooked in a microwaver because the former was not featured in the movie Back to the Future and the latter was".

this one is pretty good actually Smiley
dogechode

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 06:36:27 PM

Technically, you do, if you live in a country that treats it as an asset and you profit by it. If you mine if then sell it or buy it and sell it higher, etc... you need to pay tax on the gains. I don't know why people think they don't have to but there are going to be a lot of rude awakenings....
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 07:12:52 PM

Technically, you do, if you live in a country that treats it as an asset and you profit by it. If you mine if then sell it or buy it and sell it higher, etc... you need to pay tax on the gains. I don't know why people think they don't have to but there are going to be a lot of rude awakenings....

By "you need to pay taxes", are you saying "legally required because that is what the government wants" or "legally required and penalties will happen if you do not"?  

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
freebit13

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:22:00 PM

Legally you do, technically you don't, but I'm not going into details here... I'll always waive the benefits and never engage in commerce  Wink

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
freebit13

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:33:02 PM

By "you need to pay taxes", are you saying "legally required because that is what the government wants" or "legally required and penalties will happen if you do not"?  
Technically, in this case you would be paying tax on the fiat gains, not on the bitcoin... you can't sell x bitcoin for x+y bitcoin... if that's possible, I've got some I'd like to sell you Wink

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
dogechode

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:49:19 PM

Yeah so like I said, you need to pay taxes. Being a smartass doesn't change that.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 09:10:41 PM

wait, am I missing something?   You do have to pay taxes on the gains on bitcoin, unless you want to expose yourself to the risk of an audit.   Depending on your tax bracket this may or may not be likely...
dogechode

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 09:24:05 PM

wait, am I missing something?   You do have to pay taxes on the gains on bitcoin, unless you want to expose yourself to the risk of an audit.   Depending on your tax bracket this may or may not be likely...

You basically have to pay taxes on almost every source of income imaginable, with very few exceptions. The IRS has already stated that bitcoin and other "digital currencies" are taxable assets.

For some reason there are 1,001 smartasses on this forum that always chime in with snarky remarks about how "legally you must but technically you don't have to" and all this other bullshit because they think they are funny/clever/whatever.

The bottom line is YES YOU DO need to pay taxes on any gains you make via bitcoin/altcoins. If you don't, and you think uncle same won't find out because you are so smart, all I can say is I hope you look good in stripes. Much smarter and richer individuals have been caught trying to hide income or thinking their income was exempt for some frivolous reason. Don't be retarded, pay your taxes.

PS - if you don't pay your taxes you are also a cheap asshole and not contributing your fair share to maintain and defend your country.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 09:34:40 PM

No tax, in the UK.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Artlover

Activity: 149

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 10:04:11 PM

"MTGox will return and every customer will get all their fiat and btc back!"
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 12:06:57 AM

No tax, in the UK.

Yeah, that is awesome Smiley, too bad I live in the United States, where they would tax you for farting if they could...
CryptoPanda (OP)

Activity: 882
Merit: 302

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 07:26:05 AM

No tax, in the UK.

Yeah, that is awesome Smiley, too bad I live in the United States, where they would tax you for farting if they could...

I bet they are working on that as we speak.
E.exchanger

Activity: 714

NEED CRYPTO CODER? COIN DEVELOPER? PM US FOR HELP!

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:20:34 PM

The most stupid I've read about bitcoins is 'Bitcoin is a platform not a currency'  Grin
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 06:34:13 PM

PS - if you don't pay your taxes you are also a cheap asshole and not contributing your fair share to maintain and defend your country.

come on ,the defence budget is in the trillions and more money  will be wasted on wars and developing new weapons than healthcare for the old  or education for the young

if taxes went directly into schools and hospitals i could see a moral ground for paying them ......but not for wars ,sorry

defence budget should be called the attack budget in reality because all they use it for is to attack weaker countries who are too far away from the states to do any damage anyway ........
pbj sammich

Activity: 272
Merit: 250

Fighting Liquid with Liquid

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 06:44:46 PM

“We identified the problem (…) We are working on this.”
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.