Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:44:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone who had btc on gox since 2011 could be affected  (Read 5267 times)
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:00:31 PM

Not a single costumer made a profit on mtgox. In fact, most made a 0.065% loss on every trade, plus deposit and withdrawal fees.

If you sent $100 and withdrew $1000 that is because your asset increased in market value, not because mtgox paid you out a profit. It would have increased in value independently of mtgox.

The only people who made a profit are the thieves and possibly mtgox themselves.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mysidia

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 02:00:44 AM

SO, they want me to return my 3k? fine, return my 30 coins Smiley That's the only thing I took from gox.

Yeah, that would be a pretty nice deal.
But they'd likely say that you are required to pay:

Fiat value of the amount of fiat or BTC you withdrew MINUS the fiat value your 30 coins had on the day you deposited them on the Exchange  (or maybe day you traded them to fiat, if the trade is not being rolled back)   MINUS any fiat value that was attributable to the "share" that you get back as MtGox creditor.

BTC: 1FbuJxZCeJUqrP7EpUkgMKWAmAA1M8gUBd
LTC: LbvomgbwKnqk47mWzALCDEoV8ydjxYYYpF
Definit

Activity: 357
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 04:59:38 AM

sweet, then send me back all the btc that i sold/transfered since then...

about 5k btc over that span... im fine with that  Grin
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 10:14:55 AM

I don't think this case is comparable to Madoff because he was running a fund which claimed to make profits for those who deposited money. The people who withdrew from the fund would get more money than they deposited. MtGox never claimed to give profits on the deposited money, and nobody got more money because they had deposited anything to MtGox. The point of an exchange is to give away one form of value and get the same value back in another form.

Requiring depositors to pay back what they have withdrawn would be like if a bank went broke and anyone who had withdrawn money in the last 3 years would be required to pay it back. Most customers would have lots of deposits (from salary) and lots of withdrawals in 3 years, but that doesn't mean they've profited.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: