Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 08:22:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wait a minute, is this really possible?  (Read 1208 times)
Remember remember the 5th of November (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 01:39:38 AM

I started using Gox back in 2011 cause I was still new, I sold 50-100 coins when the price was 25-30 dollars at the time. Now you are telling me that I could potentially be asked forced to RETURN the money???

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
V4Vendettas

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 01:47:15 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=490961.0

Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 01:48:03 AM

It's based on that thread that I started this one. I mean I was living a happy-go-lucky 3 years and now I find out I might be sued? Unbelievable.

humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 01:49:17 AM

It's based on that thread that I started this one. I mean I was living a happy-go-lucky 3 years and now I find out I might be sued? Unbelievable.

Wouldn't it be the last party to have the coin? If it worked the way you're thinking the robbed party would accrue all profits every time the coin changed hands which makes 0 sense to me.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 01:49:41 AM

Consensus in that thread thusfar seems to be: unlikely.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
V4Vendettas

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 01:50:39 AM

OP Tbh I think thats jumping the gun a little . Right now no one has clue whats going on so ...shrugs

Coins4life

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 01:51:22 AM

I started using Gox back in 2011 cause I was still new, I sold 50-100 coins when the price was 25-30 dollars at the time. Now you are telling me that I could potentially be asked forced to RETURN the money???

Tbh I wouldn't worry about this right now. If something like that ever happened I'm sure the statute of limitations would be long gone. Just be glad you actually got out before now.
V4Vendettas

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 01:51:57 AM

Tbh I wouldn't worry about this right now. If something like that ever happened I'm sure the statute of limitations would be long gone. Just be glad you actually got out before now.

Yep congrats

Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 01:52:15 AM

Well I don't live in the USA or in Japan, does this apply to Europe?

phzi

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 01:52:49 AM

Basically, no.  That thread is totally FUD.  MtGox was offering a trading service... they might have been running a fractional reserve, but it wasn't a ponzi scheme.
goose20
Legendary

Activity: 1173
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 02:13:37 AM

Even if it was legislated somewhere that this was a possibility, the costs to administer any attempt to recover from 1000’s of people would far outway any recoveries.

Never going to happen mate.

I do not know the position/legislation of other countries – but having been an Insolvency Practitioner in Australia for many years – I can provide the position as it would be in OZ (I would assume most countries would have a similar line).

What you are talking about is receiving a Preferential Payment (PP). And a PP can be recovered by a Liquidator of a company in liquidation.

However, a creditor/debtor relationship needs to have existed, AND the creditor must have known, or ought to have known, at that time that the debtor was unable to meet its payments as and when they fell due.

I do not think a customer of Gox was a creditor firstly. And in no way can anyone prove that someone should have known back in 2011 that Gox would be insolvent in 2014. The two events cannot be tied no matter how it all gets twisted.

You're sweet.
traderman
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 02:42:26 AM

Another reason why bitcoin and fiat should never mix.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 3084

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 02:56:24 AM

Another reason why bitcoin and fiat should never mix.

MTGox made money on every transaction.  It was a great business model.

It collapsed because a substantial amount of coins went missing.  External theft or internal corruption, we may never know. 

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soonish!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
traderman
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 03:07:57 AM

The more bitcoin and fiat mix the more excuses the politicians will have to meddle and try and disrupt cryptos. There is no middle ground in this fight unfortunately.
whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 03:11:23 AM

You would get your coins back and they'd be worth 10x more now. Is that a bad thing?

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 03:14:14 AM

Fraudster Mark has the coins go search around official Mtgox addresses and shut up

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 03:15:02 AM

Basically, no.  That thread is totally FUD.  MtGox was offering a trading service... they might have been running a fractional reserve, but it wasn't a ponzi scheme.

Basically this.  Plus it was reported Gox had almost a million customers, you think they're going to sue a million people?  C'mon.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
hostmaster

Activity: 266

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 03:16:24 AM

Agreed. There are many speculation which is untrue!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: