Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:50:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "Web"steading  (Read 4790 times)
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 01:05:55 PM

Maybe you should just try running SMF, only with more elaborate avatars

+1

(BFL)^2 < 0
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 01:49:04 PM

Egypt is in the midst of a crime wave.  I think you need examples from the real world.

People are just so used to relying on the state for such things that it takes longer than a short period of chaos for people to self organize.

Are you claiming that it is not possible to provide private defense of persons and property?
RandyFolds

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 04:33:15 PM

Egypt is in the midst of a crime wave.  I think you need examples from the real world.

People are just so used to relying on the state for such things that it takes longer than a short period of chaos for people to self organize.

Are you claiming that it is not possible to provide private defense of persons and property?

I am, at least on a global scale.

Obviously, some rich fuck can afford some executive security and get driven around in a bulletproof escalade, but that isn't exactly the status quo, is it...
BitterTea

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 04:48:01 PM

Can you expound on this point? What does "global scale" defense look like? Do we have that today?
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 05:37:17 PM

The private defence becomes the new state.  The chaos is usually an intermediate state.
BitterTea

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 05:40:13 PM

The private defence becomes the new state.  The chaos is usually an intermediate state.

Thanks for the assertion, now provide some logic to back it up. Start from assumptions and build to the conclusion.

Private defense can be as simple as everyone owning a gun. How does that become a monopoly on violence?
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 06:18:39 PM

Thanks for the assertion, now provide some logic to back it up. Start from assumptions and build to the conclusion.

Private defense can be as simple as everyone owning a gun. How does that become a monopoly on violence?

We've done that in the Fire-fighter thread.  Why repeat it?
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2011, 06:31:35 PM

Egypt is in the midst of a crime wave.  I think you need examples from the real world.

The private defence becomes the new state.  The chaos is usually an intermediate state.

Can a new "state" version of private defence emerge on something like a virtual world, where everyone who can afford to can just buy their own defensive weaponry I wonder?
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 06:44:18 PM

Egypt is in the midst of a crime wave.  I think you need examples from the real world.

The private defence becomes the new state.  The chaos is usually an intermediate state.

Can a new "state" version of private defence emerge on something like a virtual world, where everyone who can afford to can just buy their own defensive weaponry I wonder?

You decide - you make the game so you make the rules.
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2011, 06:53:59 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2011, 07:45:57 PM by Rassah

You decide - you make the game so you make the rules.

If i make this, I wont make any rules. You would have to decide.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 06:55:24 PM

Because, apparently, you don't get it.

Or you do, and simply don't wish to hurt your head with arguments & logic you cannot refute.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
mizerydearia

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 07:39:21 PM

http://openmetaverse.org/
https://www.virwox.com/omc-open-metaverse-currency.php
http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2011/05/should-opensim-use-bitcoin-as-its-virtual-currency.html
http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2011/06/bitcoin-opensim-fail.html
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2011, 08:03:20 PM

Wow, thanks!
mizerydearia

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 08:14:58 PM

Also see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=49310.0
RandyFolds

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 08:34:34 PM

Can you expound on this point? What does "global scale" defense look like? Do we have that today?

Obviously, some rich fuck can afford some executive security and get driven around in a bulletproof escalade, but that isn't exactly the status quo, is it...
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 08:40:50 PM

Or you do, and simply don't wish to hurt your head with arguments & logic you cannot refute.

I have refuted them.  Why repeat it in every thread? 
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2011, 08:47:14 PM

Nor is it particularly effective if you are too much of a fuck, is it...
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=49276.0
BitterTea

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 08:49:30 PM

Citation please?
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 08:51:23 PM

I can accept that you believe that you have refuted them, but you have done nothing of the sort.  Most of your readership is either amused by you, or agrieved.  I doubt that even those who agree with your positions would agree that you have 'refuted' much of note.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 10:12:30 PM

Maybe you should just try running SMF, only with more elaborate avatars

+1
Can you, for example, build a house where the rooms are the faces of a tesseract, which allows you to walk from room to room going 'round and 'round the warped space, with just SMF + fancy avatars?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: