Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:41:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WHAT DOES HODL MEANS ANYWAY??  (Read 193 times)
Andrea29 (OP)

Activity: 246
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 04:51:02 PM

A lot of newcomers to altcoin think that HODL is another way of saying “hold.” Actually not, the truth is a little more entertaining.
It actually means “Hang On for Dear Life,” an old British expression that means if you give up or let go you will die. This usually refers to extreme situations such as sudden price fluctuations or collapses.

For your information 😊😊

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Rollesto

Activity: 108

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 04:55:38 PM

From what I read when browsing the word "hodl" on the internet, it says that hodl came from a drunk user here in this forum that posted a topic saying that we should "hold" but because of being drunk, he mistakenly typed the term "hodl" and it became so popular that it is often used the same as hold but it is like a jargon to bitcoin community.

covfefe_

Activity: 935
Merit: 105

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 04:58:07 PM

Hodl is the divine word coined by a fellow member from this forum and is now being written in dictionaries. This could be called a drunken serendipity but has become a valuable contribution of this forum to english (and every) language.
Here's the original post of origin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=375643.0
Tayata2005

Activity: 45

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 05:00:24 PM

This second interpretation sounds very interesting . once I hear the word hodl I always know is a bit more than hold. Just love the word.
opeakande

Activity: 140

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 05:06:33 PM

HODL is a slang term and Internet meme that is used in the cryptocurrency community when referring to holding the cryptocurrency rather than selling it.
PsylockReborn

Activity: 420
Merit: 24

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 05:10:44 PM

Hold or hodl whatever is the meaning if we don't believe in the technology then that word doesn't exist within us. I've been hodling few of my cryptos that are in my portfolio. Tried to profit and lost as well during fluctuations. We are all in here trying to learn about the technology and at the same time wanted to profit. Hodling is the best move for most investors since bitcoin's value will really increase overtime. Hodl only applies to those people who are really patient enough and don't panic in times of huge dips.

The 2nd explanation about Hodl is what i truly love the most. About a drunk member in here. I'm sure he's still hodling now even when drunk.lol Grin
Andrea29 (OP)

Activity: 246

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 05:11:45 PM

From what I read when browsing the word "hodl" on the internet, it says that hodl came from a drunk user here in this forum that posted a topic saying that we should "hold" but because of being drunk, he mistakenly typed the term "hodl" and it became so popular that it is often used the same as hold but it is like a jargon to bitcoin community.

Yes you're right, but based on my research hang on for dear life(hodl) is the old British expression before become popular on a cryptocurrency lingo,
jeffthebaker
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1034

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 05:13:49 PM

Hodl is the divine word coined by a fellow member from this forum and is now being written in dictionaries. This could be called a drunken serendipity but has become a valuable contribution of this forum to english (and every) language.
Here's the original post of origin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=375643.0

Glad I didn't have to scroll far to find the truth. It's a shame that there are very few whose time on Bitcointalk go back to the days where culture and history in the crypto space were formed. Overran by newbies with purchased forum accounts nowadays.
acedia

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 05:15:23 PM

A lot of newcomers to altcoin think that HODL is another way of saying “hold.” Actually not, the truth is a little more entertaining.
It actually means “Hang On for Dear Life,” an old British expression that means if you give up or let go you will die. This usually refers to extreme situations such as sudden price fluctuations or collapses.

For your information 😊😊

You may be right. But still it is a cryptocurrency word HOGL has a precise origin. I think all know this)
Your interpretation of this word very well characterizes the current situation on the market Grin
gantez

Activity: 1736
Merit: 121

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 05:19:04 PM

This second interpretation sounds very interesting . once I hear the word hodl I always know is a bit more than hold. Just love the word.

Roll Eyes The word hodl which is spelt different from the hold we know from dictionary actually tells us that it is more profiting in the future. Meaning that, we need to hold tightly to what we have been able together because of the future.  Grin Kiss
lifesgood10

Activity: 378
Merit: 13

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 05:22:49 PM

To Hodl literally means to keep your tokens in your wallet wisely.
Hodl and sell once there is a considerable rise in price of your token, don't wait for the biggest pump, thats greediness.

So Hodl in crypto means, keeping your tokens in your wallet without greediness,
Leah38

Activity: 1078
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 05:29:20 PM

Thanks so much for this information! Read the thread. Its was a good post written by a drunk person with all his emotions so obvious about the cryptocurrency market going down. I thought HODL means hold on to dear life as people usually says. Its good to know its real meaning. Its part of crypto history.
Gaaara

Activity: 1106
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 05:44:23 PM

Hodl means waiting from one coin to go low before buying, afterwards wait for the opportunity to sell when there is an increase in the value. Basically it means buy low, sell high and you will hear it more from traders and for us it is actually a law that should not be violated.

MOCKTAIL  -  THE  FIRST  SEMI-FUNGIBLE  TOKEN  ON  BSE 
        WEBSITE        WHITEPAPER        SMART CONTRACT        TWITTER        FACEBOOK        TELEGRAM        ANN

silverston

Activity: 952
Merit: 502

SAPG Pre-Sale Live on Uniswap!

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 05:49:35 PM

Interesting interpretation. I have not heard about this yet) Thank you) Indeed, this expression appeared simply because of a banal error in the word hold, after which the word hodl came into use

█████     ████████████████████
█████     ████████████████████
█████                    █████
█████     ██████████     █████
████████████████████     █████
████████████████████     █████
.SWAAP. ▄▄▄▄▄██    ▄▄
 █       ▄▄▀▀▀
 █     ▄▀
▄▄▄   █  ▄▄
▀▀███▄   █▀
██▄███  ▀▀
▄▄▀███  ▀▀▀▀██
▀▀▄███  ▀█
███▀▀ ▄  ██
      ▀▄
 █      ▀▄▄
 █         ▀██
 ▀▀▀▀▀██
⟩⟩.
..For Individuals & Traders..
..For Businesses...................
..For Financial Institutions..
⟩⟩.
Pre-Sale
LIVE on
Uniswap
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
██████████  ██  ████████████
████████         ▀██████████
██████████  ████▄  █████████
██████████  ████▀  █████████
██████████          ▀███████
██████████  ███████  ███████
████████▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄███████
████████▄▄  ▄▄  ▄▄▄█████████
██████████▄▄██▄▄████████████
████▀▀▀████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████
████   ████             ████
████   ██████████████   ████
████   ████      ████   ████
████             ████   ████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄████
engrlodi

Activity: 308
Merit: 18

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 06:58:38 PM

HODL is derived from the word "hold". It is a term used in cryptocurrency communities which means to hold instead of selling. For example, if the value of token is low then i will hold and wait for the right time. Selling is not always the key to make a good profit, but holding is. Oppurtunity is always around. You just need to wait and be patient. Others said that HODL is a british expression which means "hold on for dear life". Whatever meaning they give, when you are in the market just hold before you sell so you won't regret anything. Good luck and God bless!

youngmobi

Activity: 112

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 09:08:38 PM

Hodl is just a slangs been used on the internet most expecially in cryptocurrency hodl also mean hold for example in cryptocurrency you buy a coin and store it without selling it. Your holding that coins.
BlackBoxRecords

Activity: 280
Merit: 15

Pool of Stake

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 09:11:29 PM

For your information 😊😊

Not at all. This comes from an old post, dated in 2013 I think, in which someone wrote about why he "hodled" because he was a very bad trader I seem to recall.

█ ▌ We have created a Pool for Proof of Stake Blockchains  ▐ █
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ POOL OF STAKE ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
 ⮜⮜ LINKEDIN ⮞⮞ BITCOINTALK ⮞⮞ MEDIUM ⮞⮞ TWITTER ⮞⮞ FACEBOOK ⮞⮞ TELEGRAM ⮞⮞
eagleman

Activity: 1190
Merit: 504

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 09:17:37 PM

I didn't knew that there has been a real meaning for that misspelled/typo word.

History of HODL
I AM HODLING.
vladaziya4

Activity: 238
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 09:26:27 PM

I find out through all the online sources that talk about it, because this is the most interesting topic for me.  Cheesy Yes, I believe that it will grow even more and more, one example: past years. Nobody believed in it, but over time it increased a lot. Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
cryptobae10

Activity: 658
Merit: 5

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2018, 09:33:42 PM

To Hodl literally means to keep your tokens in your wallet wisely.
Hodl and sell once there is a considerable rise in price of your token, don't wait for the biggest pump, thats greediness.

So Hodl in crypto means, keeping your tokens in your wallet without greediness,

A simple pattern of hodl strategy
But you need to maintain your patience and never panic
Ensure to be slick and fast too when it’s profit time
Good luck
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: