Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:11:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [GOX] Crime Scene Investigation, Case #MG744  (Read 46966 times)
jackannen

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 10:55:12 PM

Perhaps a little help here ...

I thought my money in mtgox was lost, but I read that you can check your balance on the website mtgox.
I transferred € 500 in early bebruary, but can not see the funds. I contacted my bank before but they say it arrived at mtgox.
When I asked for clarification they say it was sent to poland bank WBS (performed from Swiss).
I have rechecked if the funds have been updated, but my old balance is still there.

What can I ask my bank to help investigation?

Jack

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Zeta0S
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1031

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 10:06:48 PM

Were is Mark Karpelès now? He still has that badass Polish bodyguard?

Get a HUGE 3% discount with promo code: MOON @ Genesis Mining
https://www.genesis-mining.com
freedombit

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 12:07:41 AM

Never saw the domain below mentioned in this case, so I thought should be included:

canibuildasitehandlingotherpeoplesmoney.com

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=576273.new#new

Seems someone tagged the site in the blockchain well after the site was put up.

Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2014, 07:26:28 PM

*listen*

Zeta0S
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 09:35:14 PM

Mark Karpelès is on the run!
http://www.bitcoinupdate.nl/1/post/2014/04/verkoop-inboedel-mtgox-van-start-mark-karpeles-op-de-vlucht.html

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 09:39:14 PM

I might take time to translate it later:
Did he leave Japan?   Huh

Zeta0S
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 10:08:39 PM

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=nl&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bitcoinupdate.nl%2F1%2Fpost%2F2014%2F04%2Fverkoop-inboedel-mtgox-van-start-mark-karpeles-op-de-vlucht.html&edit-text=&act=url

Armis (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 10:33:27 PM

thanks for that
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 10:53:29 PM

Not mentioned by any other sources yet.
Thank you, but this is not real news.

Aquent

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 06:10:54 PM

He can run, but he can't hide.
Aquent

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 06:18:02 PM

This was a very interesting article by the way: http://www.dailytech.com/Bitcoin+King+Pt+II+Mt+Goxs+Dictator+Karpels+Proves+Tragically+Flawed/article34452.htm

It alleges that mk sold the coins for about 75 million around April and presents some good circumstantial evidence for it. Same author also says: "[MK] bought a luxury condo in Megura Ward, a pricier part of Tokyo". This was also around the time twobitidiot declared war on Vanessen - maybe unrelated, but MK did try to run with our 200k btc - or raughly 120 million dollars - and his past history shows he is a dishonest man who tried to cover up the theft of a million btc by continuing to operate a fractional reserve.

His lies are up. Whatever happened, he was primarily responsible for it, and it may well be that he was responsible in a criminal way.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 01:49:36 AM

This was a very interesting article by the way: http://www.dailytech.com/Bitcoin+King+Pt+II+Mt+Goxs+Dictator+Karpels+Proves+Tragically+Flawed/article34452.htm

It alleges that mk sold the coins for about 75 million around April and presents some good circumstantial evidence for it. Same author also says: "[MK] bought a luxury condo in Megura Ward, a pricier part of Tokyo". This was also around the time twobitidiot declared war on Vanessen - maybe unrelated, but MK did try to run with our 200k btc - or raughly 120 million dollars - and his past history shows he is a dishonest man who tried to cover up the theft of a million btc by continuing to operate a fractional reserve.

His lies are up. Whatever happened, he was primarily responsible for it, and it may well be that he was responsible in a criminal way.

Great article, a true must read.

janos666

Merit: 500

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 02:25:44 AM
Last edit: April 29, 2014, 02:39:48 AM by janos666

Great article, a true must read.

The most believable Gox-loss story I have ever read. And I agree with the author, it is still a sad story for everyone.

For one part, it would confirm some of my fears (for example, that most of those big price rises were caused by Gox, so I can't expect another like those without yet catastrophic scams which can burn me too).

For another part: I must admit that I share some (but very far from all) personality attributes with Karpelés.
Don't get me wrong. I didn't say I think we are similar (I wouldn't dare to admit something like that). But I see some matches and thus I fear that I could replicate a similar failure if I were in his place. And it makes me thinking about my future plans.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 03:56:33 AM

The most believable Gox-loss story I have ever read. And I agree with the author, it is still a sad story for everyone.

For one part, it would confirm some of my fears (for example, that most of those big price rises were caused by Gox, so I can't expect another like those without yet catastrophic scams which can burn me too).

For another part: I must admit that I share some (but very far from all) personality attributes with Karpelés.
Don't get me wrong. I didn't say I think we are similar (I wouldn't dare to admit something like that). But I see some matches and thus I fear that I could replicate a similar failure if I were in his place. And it makes me thinking about my future plans.

For one part:
I agree Gox played a big part in fueling last years rallies (some of that was people constantly paying high prices since they could not withdraw cash)
BTC can have more massive bull markets... The Bitcoin economy is growing so fast compared to 2011, 2012.

For another part:
Hey, it's great you can look at yourself so honestly, and want to plan on success not failure.  Smiley

janos666

Merit: 500

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 02:50:18 AM
Last edit: April 30, 2014, 03:05:24 AM by janos666

I thought about this a little more and it still doesn't add up.

Let's say I am afraid I might need 75M USD if I don't want to go into jail or run and hide for many years.
And I think I can nefariously borrow ~1M BTC and ~50M USD from my customers+creditors without letting anyone know.
I haven't done anything which would call for blood. In worst case I face a huge penalty cheque and/or some bearable amount of jail time.
But I already have enough USD and BTC to run and hide forever from the law if things go bad and I really don't want to risk getting into jail.

What do I do?

A.) I use as many of the customer funds for as long as possible to earn as many USD and/or BTC as possible while I still have a chance to keep this all hidden.
I occasionally manipulate the price, delay some deposits/withdrawals, bribe some other exchanges to follow my orders, etc, etc.
But I make sure that even if some unforeseeable events might cause a serious glitch in my system which exposes some elements of my rogue game, I might still recover and cover it all up with some story (I hope nobody will put too much work into investigations as long as nobody feels personally hurt by me) or at least I can instantly RUN!!!
So basically I constantly prepare for running in any minute but I try to avoid the necessity of running for as long as possible (forever if it all goes fine) as much as possible.
If everything collapses (regardless of my precautions because I manage to prove that I was still stupid after all) and I need to run, then I am already running before anybody knows.

B.) I use basically all the customer funds to earn as many USD and/or BTC as possible like there is no tomorrow.
I commit yet another very transparent crime which will only worsen my case when everything collapses around me. And it will surely collapse. I am fully aware of that because I stole/wasted/lost basically all the assets. I know there is no way back, no way out... well, other than running but I don't even consider that option. (Why...? Seriously... WHY?)
I believe I can steel several hundred million USD on plain sight to pay that ~75M USD for my past crimes so I become completely clean.
I hope nobody will care about this latest crime of mine which is by the way the biggest of them all. I just hope I will be able to come up with yet another crime to be able to pay my next penalty. Or I am stupid enough to think I will solve this (!latest and biggest!) crime with a simple lie. It will be a lot easier to face the penalty for this (!biggest of my!) crime than it would have been for my past crimes.
-> I am stupid enough to think the police will accept the money I just stole on plain sight to pay the penalty for all (old and recent) crimes and simply let me alone (with some money in my pockets)!?
I don't have any real escape plan. I don't care if I need to face the music. I am not afraid people might demand blood instead of money and/or jail time. I don't care that now I have even more penalty cheques and/ jail time coming. I am stupid as that.

C.) I am simply insane and I decide it will be a much more fun exploit to waste all the customer funds than simply hanging myself in the closet today (because I have nothing better to do). I can do that any day, before or after this (even inside the jail).
It will be a fun story. I didn't live for nothing. My life has a meaning now, I might make it into the history books.
Ok, let's do it!

I would vote for C. A is too demanding and B is way too stupid.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 04:32:31 AM

Were is Mark Karpelès now? He still has that badass Polish bodyguard?

Yes. According to bitcoinupdate.nl, he is running from hotel-to-hotel in Tokyo, along with his bodyguard.  Grin
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 06:11:40 AM

You gotta be fuckin' kiddin' me! I've yet to read the first word in the link article because I was met with this:

Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 06:20:42 AM

You gotta be fuckin' kiddin' me! I've yet to read the first word in the link article because I was met with this:

this article:
http://www.dailytech.com/Bitcoin+King+Pt+II+Mt+Goxs+Dictator+Karpels+Proves+Tragically+Flawed/article34452.htm is worth the time.
It gives a very detailed look at the real Mark.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 06:30:16 AM

this article:
http://www.dailytech.com/Bitcoin+King+Pt+II+Mt+Goxs+Dictator+Karpels+Proves+Tragically+Flawed/article34452.htm is worth the time.
It gives a very detailed look at the real Mark.

That's what I'm reading now.

"If only I could meet Brock Pierce in person some day."
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 06:37:30 AM

Mark Karpeles @MagicalTux
Follow
Need more geek friends who can understand my reasons for being happy/sad. Things will hopefully improve in 2010 !
3:00 AM - 13 Dec 2009

At least we learn now that Jed did his due diligence when he sold Mt Gox to Mark, akin to the due diligence used to now put Brock Pierce at the helm.

So, Brother Geek, what do you invest in?
In Bitcoin.
You mean Paedo- Coin, don't you?
He he!
Ha! Ha!
Good one, Mike!
Why don't my fellow geeks don't like me anymore?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: