Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 04:58:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Metaverse / OpenSim  (Read 1956 times)
mizerydearia (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 07:53:18 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2011, 08:15:19 PM by mizerydearia

<ircdearia> boo http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2011/06/bitcoin-opensim-fail.html
<ircdearia> I think it should be recognized that bitcoin wasn't hacked, but instead organizations or businesses dealing with bitcoin were hacked
<ircdearia> Otherwise one could say in the case of Sony's website getting hacked, that us dollar is fail
<nebadon> bitcoin seems like a really bad idea to me
<ircdearia> how so?
<nebadon> http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/oct/18/bitcoin-value-crash-cryptocurrency?newsfeed=true
<ircdearia> nebadon, so, because the market value decreased, bitcoin is bad idea?
<ircdearia> bitcoin has become less secure, less stable?
<ircdearia> perhaps now bitcoin is susceptible to counterfeiting, double spending, etc?
<ircdearia> the technology is no longer sound?
<nebadon> well one person had 500,000$ in bitcoins stolen
<nebadon> the exchanges have been hacked on several ocassions
<nebadon> bitcoins are virtually worthless at the moment
<ircdearia> okay, so if someone manages to steal millions of us dollars, then people abandon us dollar?
<coyled> this doesn't have anything to do with this channel's topic
<ircdearia> true, my apologies
<ircdearia> back to silence/idling ^_^

Also see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=49179.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
I.Goldstein

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 07:59:21 PM

Honestly, it's their loss. If they can't see the inherent benefits of including a sound currency in their project, they are missing out. They'll be regretting this attitude years from now when Bitcoin is proven.
stick_theman

Activity: 372
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 05:18:18 AM

The truth is Metaverse is a centralized currency integrated with Virwox.  If Bitcoin comes into play then Metaverse will lose some aspect of autonomy.  This essay was just for show as they have their minds made up already.  I believe Metaverse is tied to Euro at this point.
amincd

Activity: 772
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 05:20:40 AM

OpenSim and Bitcoin are made for each other.

As James Wagner Au noted:

Should OpenSim Use Bitcoin As Its Virtual Currency?

Bitcoin is an open source, peer-to-peer virtual currency which is generating a lot of discussion among the digerati lately, who variously describe it as either the most revolutionary innovation since the Internet itself, or an impractical exercise in libertarian onanism. (Or something in between.) One major hurdle: There's very few goods and services to buy with Bitcoin. Meanwhile, OpenSimulator is an open source, peer-to-peer virtual world technology which is lately showing some relatively impressive activity, but has a huge hurdle of its own: There's no universal currency with which to buy virtual content across the many OpenSim-based worlds.

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2011, 11:59:59 PM

I still want to set something up, but... Sonic Generations and Mongrels... so later.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: