Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:38:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The difference between science and religion  (Read 6460 times)
De Mukerere

Activity: 16
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 31, 2018, 05:59:13 PM

Science is the physical explanation of our natural world while religion is a supernatural revelation of our natural world.
This I believe will be difficult for the atheist to believe because he does not believe in the existence of God and might also be difficult for those who are opposed to christianity to believe. But as a Christian scientist, I believe and can proof reasonably that both are different means to one end.

From the creation account, after God created man, being just, he didn't leave him ignorant of his natural world and how to interact with it. However, when man disobeyed God, theologians believe he, God, destroyed the garden of Eden, but I rather think that is a figurative speech. "What is so special about this garden that man will miss?" I will always ask. I think what the scriptures meant by destroying the garden must be "the destruction or withdrawal of the knowledge of how man can interact with his immediate environment. And when he said that he will toil and till the ground before he can eat, I believe he, God, meant man will suffer before he will regain mastery of the Earth. And don't just start blaming God and seeing him as wicked because every system that wants to maitain balance must have checks and consequences for going against the rules. Bitcointalk forum has, your country has, mine has too. Check the crime rate in countries that have decided to relax theirs and compare it with those of the countries that have decided to enforce theirs religiously, may be you will understand why God did what he did. That was the premise on which religion and science were born. HOW?
Remember science is defined as a body of knowledge or a systematic enquiry into nature. When Man's knowledge was withdrawn, he started doing things by trial and error. Things that worked were celebrated. The process leading to such result was preserved and handed over to the next generation. Gradually, man's knowledge of the principles guiding his environment grew to what we know today as science. BUT WHAT HAS THAT GOT TO DO WITH religion?
Remember man's mastery of his natural environment was a very slow one. There are archeological proofs of ancient communities that once existed but somehow went into extinction for reasons no one can clearly asertain till date but with high belief that most cases were due to adverse conditions. That means man must have gone through monstrous ordeals to come this far. However, God in his infinite mercies could not sit and watch his creation suffer. But he could not reverse his judgement because he is just so he had to release information about how to survive through some difficult situations to some persons who will share the idea with his community. When this idea works the community in appreciation will set up a system of appreciating the source of such revelational knowledge and that was how religious worship emanated. So the people will continue with the practice for their survival until someone could explain it physically then when it's physical explanation has been gotten people will start working on it to see how they could apply the process to other situations. Therefore, through religion, man knew that some heights were scalable. And by explaining revelational knowledge later on using physical parameters gotten through observation, he knew he could solve more problems by studying events that happen around him. Thus, religion inspired scientific advancement.
Now, because man has seen so much development via scientific advancement, he then thinks religion is bluff. There are several things happening in our present day, that men predicted accurately several years back without scientific aid. Today, meteorologist forecast weather conditions and the world is celebrating. In my traditional religion, there are so many feats these men achieve at a lower cost than using scientific methods. Examples include finding missing items, controlling weather condition etc.
I am not relegating any of the above mentioned issues to the background but I am only saying that while both are means to same end, religion inspired scientific advancements. And religion is still ahead of science in helping man understand and subdue his challenges. Don't get it twisted because of bigots that have made a mess of religion.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
August 31, 2018, 06:38:47 PM

.....There are several things happening in our present day, that men predicted accurately several years back without scientific aid. Today, meteorologist forecast weather conditions and the world is celebrating. In my traditional religion, there are so many feats these men achieve at a lower cost than using scientific methods. Examples include finding missing items, controlling weather condition etc.....

I don't think so.

I am quite familiar with modern weather forecasting. It's quite good up to 10 days, and this has came to be by using supercomputers.

Weather forecasting is not "a feat" but it is impossible for it to be a thing that could be claimed to be done by a religion.
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1368

View Profile
August 31, 2018, 08:41:23 PM

.....There are several things happening in our present day, that men predicted accurately several years back without scientific aid. Today, meteorologist forecast weather conditions and the world is celebrating. In my traditional religion, there are so many feats these men achieve at a lower cost than using scientific methods. Examples include finding missing items, controlling weather condition etc.....

I don't think so.

I am quite familiar with modern weather forecasting. It's quite good up to 10 days, and this has came to be by using supercomputers.

Weather forecasting is not "a feat" but it is impossible for it to be a thing that could be claimed to be done by a religion.

Pick your favorite location at Weather Underground - https://www.wunderground.com/. Check the 10-day forecast. The forecast changes as many as 6 or more times a day, and certainly every day to the next.

I expect that there are tranquil locations where the 10-day barely changes throughout the whole 10 days. But there are other place where the weather is wilder, and predictions can change hourly, throughout the day.

There isn't as much known about the weather as we think.

I recommend that, as part of their training, forecasting meteorologists be required to earn $100,000 in the stock market, in the year that they are accepted on the weather job. This would weed out the fakers from those who really know how to forecast accurately. We might wind up without a weather channel, which would be beneficial to us all.

Cool

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2018, 02:10:47 AM

I don't think so.

Pick your favorite location at Weather Underground - https://www.wunderground.com/. Check the 10-day forecast.....

On some subject you just need to shut it. The ignorance is profound...

Sealis

Activity: 140
Merit: 2

View Profile
September 01, 2018, 04:09:04 AM

Science is the answer to the questions in the world. It's basically saying that every phenomena has a reason for its existence. Religion on the other hand, is saying that something exists because it was created. And who created that creator? Religion would then say he exists because he exists. This would be the basic idea of their reasoning in every argument. Basically, Science and Religion should or rather would never meet. They are completely on the opposite ends of a spectrum.
De Mukerere

View Profile
September 01, 2018, 04:21:39 AM
Last edit: September 01, 2018, 05:43:16 AM by De Mukerere

I don't think so.

Don't get so excited about weather forecast 10 days ahead cos in my local traditional religion, those guys can't just only forecast weather, they can as well control it. On a rainy day, they can stop the rain. In the midst of rainy season, the can withhold rain for days up to a week and beyond. That's what I'm talking about. Paradventure our central government was committed to scientific developments, they would have sent guys to go check how those people are producing such results and see if they could refine it scientifically. Now, if they had done so and published it on journals you would celebrate the end product relegating the source to junk. And like I said, this is one of their numerous abilities.
However, scientific forecast is limited. There are areas of life you can't predict the future on but religion is doing marvellously well. I guess you know "Nostrademus!". He is a global figure. You may check out his predictions or forecast then you will understand what I am talking about. Note that he is just one man. There are several men like him. It's just that his work gained global prominence. These conflict in ideas has been hampering our harnessing our potential because one group will think they are better than the other. They will want to strive for suproirity rather than seek partnership.
Let's see these two regions of ontology as different means to one end. Let us not discard religion on one or few premise like most people do.

Science is about evidence. Any published speech must be supported by evidence to get everyone's approval, and religion relies on faith! Faith from the heart

Most religions seem to be incompatible with each other.

Religious nut jobs are forever killing every one else in the name of their one true god, same cant be said about mathematicians.
Most people contributing in this thread do not know the history of most scientific developments they see today. Go back to history of science and you will see that science didn't even start in Europe. Most of your reference are from Europe. The basic ideas that those Europeans started with were mostly from Africa, Egypt to be precise and Asia, particularly China. And these were highly religious entities with China still preserving it religion because most of their discoveries came from their priests, monks etc.
So friends, let us stop promoting one at the expense of the other. Our forefathers might have done that because they were overwhelmed let's make amends. Let's try to look at what the religious world is saying and see if we can verify them scientifically. Let's stop this tossle for glory.  Let us take a hollistic look at them with intentions of improving the lot of mankind.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18507

View Profile
September 01, 2018, 06:24:11 AM

in my local traditional religion, those guys can't just only forecast weather, they can as well control it.

Proof please.
De Mukerere

View Profile
September 01, 2018, 10:30:10 AM

Proof please.
[/quote]

The only proof is when you visit and see them probably make rain in a place where meteorological report has forecasted there will be no rain. Or withhold rain for days in the middle of rainy season. Road Construction Companies hire them for the job. It might sound rocket science to you but it is very simple only that they wouldn't reveal the secrete to anyone outside their circles. I guess you would be shocked to see it happen but that's not all they can do.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2018, 02:05:50 PM

Proof please.

The only proof is when you visit and see them probably make rain in a place where meteorological report has forecasted there will be no rain. Or withhold rain for days in the middle of rainy season. Road Construction Companies hire them for the job. It might sound rocket science to you but it is very simple only that they wouldn't reveal the secrete to anyone outside their circles. I guess you would be shocked to see it happen but that's not all they can do.
[/quote]

Show a hundred years of rainfall data, or more. This is part of what modern science DOES.

Then show a record of dates, times, and places proving cause and effect.

Then show that this "man induced shaman rainfall" is statistically signifcant WHEN COMPARED to a control group, which might be a similar region some distance away.

You see? The scientific process is not the enemy of your shaman. It can prove your assertion, or it can refute it. But your assertion is not proved by your words alone.

jak3
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 01, 2018, 07:43:06 PM

That's absolutely true they will not only make new religions but they can make you their religion if they found you destroyed those old rules. They will start a business and surviving on your name. So human beings need both the science and religion to service except me. I only need science and I am in religion for making others happy not for me.
Avengers360

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2018, 08:26:35 PM

Religion and science are actually very related, and have gone hand in hand for several decades, up till the concept of creation and the source.

Both comprises of zealots, who are totally opposed to the other.

Although one is based on faith, and the other faith in facts
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1368

View Profile
September 01, 2018, 10:57:06 PM
Merited by Mac Red (1)

Actually, we can see that science is very faith based. When anyone believes a scientific theory to be true, he is believing it by faith. Why? Because the fact that it is scientific theory means that it can be changed as new info is found out. So, believing it as fact, when it is not known to be fact, involves faith.

As for religions, the major factors in religions may not be known to be true... making believing them to be done by faith. But aspects of all religions are factual... their writings, their religious buildings, the number of people who accept a particular religion, some of the wisdom in some of their writings, etc.

The thing that is opposite in the two, might be their basics... like faith in God vs. factual chemical formulae.

Cool

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
Moloch (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 722

View Profile
September 02, 2018, 01:28:23 PM

Religion and science are actually very related, and have gone hand in hand for several decades, up till the concept of creation and the source.

If science is faith in facts, what is religious faith?  Faith without facts?  How is that better?

"Faith in facts" is an oxymoron... the word faith implies lack of evidence/facts

According to dictionary.com, religious faith is "strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof."

The only way to find truth is through facts and evidence.  People can believe literally anything on faith.  You could have faith that the moon is made from green cheese, but that does not make it true

In this venn diagram, faith can only lead to "Beliefs", or "Poorly justified true beliefs" if they get lucky and are correct without evidence... Faith cannot possibly lead to Truths or Knowledge (both of which require facts and evidence)
Getadaaa

Activity: 448
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2018, 02:15:18 PM

Science is purely earthly. And religion is heavenly. The both could coexit if we let it. There’s no need separating one from the other. Instead we can learn from the both. They both checkmate each other. When religions disagree then science comes to settle it out. When science is going beyond ethics, then religion checkmates it. And that’s peace. Who doesn’t like that?

BEST TIME AND PLACE TO EXIST
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2018, 02:42:54 PM

If science is faith in facts, what is religious faith?  Faith without facts?  How is that better?

"Faith in facts" is an oxymoron... the word faith implies lack of evidence/facts.....

In ancient times, one king might have said to another...

"It's a fact that my zealous religious cult soldiers are not afraid to die".

The other might have said,

"My populations are taught that homosexuality is evil, and that sex with a virgin is wonderful. It's a fact that this increases the birth rates and maximizes the number of soldiers for my troops. Let's combine these two methods."

Facts?
Moloch (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2018, 05:29:24 PM

"Faith in facts" is an oxymoron... the word faith implies lack of evidence/facts.....

"My populations are taught that homosexuality is evil, and that sex with a virgin is wonderful. It's a fact that this increases the birth rates and maximizes the number of soldiers for my troops. Let's combine these two methods."

Facts?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fact
"A fact is a statement that is consistent with objective reality or can be proven with evidence."

Given zero evidence is provided, neither statement is a fact

The fact that you asked the question tells me that you don't even understand the word, fact
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2018, 08:13:20 PM

Facts?

"A fact is a statement that is consistent with objective reality or can be proven with evidence."

The fact that you asked the question tells me that you don't even understand the word, fact
Except that you are wrong. In the example of the two kings discussion, each asserted the existence of a fact. "Can be proven with evidence" does not mean "was proven".

Every day, we state facts briefly. You might say "That man is a criminal." You don't cite the cases and details.
Moloch (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2018, 06:12:57 AM
Merited by o_e_l_e_o (3)

Facts?

Except that you are wrong. In the example of the two kings discussion, each asserted the existence of a fact. "Can be proven with evidence" does not mean "was proven".

Every day, we state facts briefly. You might say "That man is a criminal." You don't cite the cases and details.

Anecdotes are not facts... you are still wrong, just stop with your nonsense

I REALLY hate that religious people try to change the meaning of words to confuse everyone... that's such bullshit I cannot begin to describe how evil it is
needcryptos

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 03, 2018, 09:01:46 AM

We have a clear distinction between religion and science: religion is for the whole of society or all groups, while science applies only to some. Now the question is how religion can sustain its identity in the doctrinal and the doctrinal sense. This is done only through faith. The root of religion is faith, using faith to preserve its essence.
Science is limited to the number of accomplished, thinkers. They preserve the nature of science through proven truth, use results-based test methods, and spread the word through wisdom, accuracy, and scientific methods.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18507

View Profile
September 03, 2018, 09:45:00 AM

I REALLY hate that religious people try to change the meaning of words to confuse everyone

It's because they don't have any actual evidence or proof to support their position, and they know they can't even begin to argue against the mountains of evidence that proves they are wrong. Their only defense is to resort to petty semantics and try to claim that somehow facts aren't facts and that evidence isn't evidence.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: