Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 11:37:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Looks Unlikely To Cross $10,000 Again This Year  (Read 586 times)
seje (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 256

View Profile
August 22, 2018, 09:31:39 PM

July was a solid month for cryptocurrencies overall, with the price of Bitcoin reversing the steady declines seen over the previous two months to hover around $8,200 around the end of the month. This marked a strong recovery from the low of $5,755 seen in late June, but was still well below the all-time high of almost $20,000 last December, and also a good 18% lower than the ~$10,000 figure seen less than three months ago.

Notably, there was a recovery in the level of activity on the Bitcoin network over the month of July, with the average number of unique addresses and the average transaction volume per unique user improving from the lows seen in June. However, with both of these key metrics sliding lower over the first two weeks of August, the price of Bitcoin has slumped to below $6,500. Given the current weakness in Bitcoin trading activity, we have reduced our forecast for number of unique users as well as transaction volumes in our interactive Bitcoin Price Estimator. We now expect the Bitcoin price to settle around $9,500 by the end of the year for our base case scenario – down from our earlier estimate of $10,500. The graphic below captures our base case forecast for the monthly average price of Bitcoin this year based on our estimates for transaction volume and number of Bitcoin users, and also shows a possible price range for the cryptocurrency taking into account a relatively bullish as well as bearish outlook for the rest of the year.

TREFIS

Understanding What Drove The Price Fluctuations Over Recent Months

The global cryptocurrency industry has seen a flurry of new developments since December. Many of these developments had a negative impact on the growth prospects of cryptocurrencies, such as restrictions by banks on the use of credit cards to buy cryptocurrencies, and calls by financial regulators across the world for caution while investing in digital currencies (with some countries even banning their use). This sent cryptocurrencies sliding in value from the all-time highs seen in mid-December 2017, as demonstrated by the slump in Bitcoin’s price from almost $20,000 then to below $6,000 in early February.

However, Bitcoin prices saw a sharp recovery over April and early May, primarily because the traditional financial industry began warming up to cryptocurrencies. While Goldman Sachs became the first investment bank to start a cryptocurrency trading desk, IntercontinentalExchange (which owns the NYSE) reported its ongoing work on a new trading platform that will allow institutional investors to buy and hold cryptocurrencies. As this points to increased adoption of cryptocurrencies in the near term, the good news propelled Bitcoin prices higher.

MORE FROM FORBES
But Bitcoin prices slumped in late May when Mt. Gox dumped more than 8,200 Bitcoins on existing exchanges, and further in June when two South Korean cryptocurrency exchanges were hacked. In addition to having a negative impact on Bitcoin pricing, these events also dragged down Bitcoin trading activity, as evidenced by a notable reduction in the number of users on the Bitcoin network. The trend reversed in July, though, with renewed institutional interest in cryptocurrencies driving activity levels. This was driven by growing optimism around the SEC potentially approving a Bitcoin ETF.

TREFIS

The SEC’s approval would make Bitcoin a more accessible investment option for investors globally, and definitely presents a sizable upside for the cryptocurrency. However, little has been able to quell investor concerns about the security of cryptocurrency exchanges over recent months – something that we believe will continue to weigh on activity levels in the near future.

What Does This Mean For Bitcoin’s Price?

Like the price for anything, Bitcoin’s fundamental price depends primarily on demand and supply. Demand for Bitcoin is primarily driven by two factors: the number of active users, and how much they transact. On the supply side, the number of available Bitcoins is capped, and about 80% of the capped number is already mined. As such, it is sensible to focus on the demand, both in terms of users and transaction volumes. In our interactive Bitcoin Price Estimator, we forecast changes in the number of unique users as well as transaction volumes for each month over the rest of 2018 to arrive at our estimate for Bitcoin’s fundamental value.

As we detailed above, given the headwinds faced by both of these metrics over the month of August, we expect them to grow at a modest pace over coming months. As a result, we believe that the Bitcoin will very likely remain below $10,000 for the rest of the year.

This video shows how to leverage our bitcoin pricing dashboard. While the dashboard looks fairly basic, in back-testing – a method to see how well it could have predicted prices in the past – it was almost 94% accurate.

Like our charts? Explore example interactive dashboards and create your own
Led by MIT engineers and Wall Street analysts, Trefis (through its dashboards platform dashboards.trefis.com) helps you understand how a company's products, that you touch, read, or hear about everyday, impact its stock price. Surprisingly, the founders of Trefis discovered ...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/people/trefis/#7fcca4de4462

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Coin-1
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 2190

View Profile
August 22, 2018, 09:56:49 PM
Last edit: August 22, 2018, 10:08:27 PM by Coin-1

As we detailed above, given the headwinds faced by both of these metrics over the month of August, we expect them to grow at a modest pace over coming months. As a result, we believe that the Bitcoin will very likely remain below $10,000 for the rest of the year.

I think $10K is a good price for this year. Currently Bitcoin costs about $6500, so BTC can grow up to +40% under favorable circumstances. I guess that if the SEC rejects the Bitcoin ETF this September, the BTC price will fall deeper than $6000. But their forecast will be correct in any case because Bitcoin will remain below $10K.
Fire316

Activity: 281
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 22, 2018, 10:06:13 PM

It is difficult to predict the bitcoin price for the coming days,months even years because it is very unpredictable now and volatile. At this current price of more than $6000,it might going up before year end despite of many possible reasons behind...who knows it will reach $20000 again. Good for all holders but sorry for the losers that panic selling.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4479

View Profile
August 22, 2018, 10:09:48 PM
Last edit: August 25, 2018, 03:34:00 PM by franky1
Merited by JimboToronto (1), LFC_Bitcoin (1), LeGaulois (1), psycodad (1)

OP has no clue

the underlying value actually has some real numbers. im not talking about the ATH specualtive bubble price. im talking about the LOW support lines which are built up by the 'cost of obtaining' costs.

if you ignore the spikes of speculation and instead only note the bottom line. lowest prices. you will see correlations based on certain things.
last years october $4k bottom was based on a bit of speculation but it held a supportive line based on costs of mining bitcoin when the old batches were $2k per asic. which if you look at how many asics were hashing for the entire network. and the electric needed. and then divided it down by perblock/per btc. you would see the numbers

this years bottom are based on mining costs of an asic batch of $850 per asic but with higher hashrate. which if you do the maths on how many asics are needed+electric plus splitting the cost of an asic over lets say a year. you start to see where the costs come into it.

now if you simply draw a line of what you think the hashrate will be like by the end of the year. and do the same maths on mining costs. you will see that miners will refuse to sell below those costs. and.. because most 'old holders' have set their new bottomlines due to the 10 month level-off of ~$4k+
as people sold off and new people bought that during the prices of over $5k over the last year. the new holders have now set their new bottomline. and this will continue as months move on, to double support a incremental bottomline.

no one can predict the next hype bubble speculative ATH. but you can atleast see where the bottomline can move/increment over time.

heres a hint:
forget about trying to predict how high the next ATH will be
forget about trying to predict how soon the next ATH will be

instead realise the most important thing is to know what the LOW average is expected to be.

and here is a tip.. look at the cost of mining.

EG - back of an envelope math...
take 47exahash network hashrate, thats 47000000 terahash
an asic is 14trra (fixd number worth remembering)
so 47000000/14
so thats 3.3mill ASICS needed

imagine electric
at 6cents an hour (to cover 5cent/kwh at an asics 1.3kw (back of envelop rounded math)
0.06*3.3m
=$198k an hour /6blocks /12.5btc =$2640/btc for electric

imagiine unit cost
recent batch of $850 per asic and lastability is 1 year..
so lets break it down to an hour 850/365/24 = ill call it 10cents for back of envelop math
0.10*3.3m
=$330k an hour /6 blocks /12.5btc = $4400/btc for unit cost
total cost to mine= $7k/btc

final tip. miners dont sell coins on exchanges instantly as soon as they receive them
so sorry this math cannot predict prices to the minute.
no one can predict exact prices, exact dates
no one can predict how high a hype bubble the next ATH will be or when
no one can predict if or when prices will stay low or for how long

but it can guage roughly the low area/zone for the month
so take a months overview and take the lowst hashrate you see and the highest. to see the area/zone of break even
https://www.blockchain.com/en/charts/hash-rate?timespan=30days
37exa(28th july)-54exa (11th aug)

and look at the months low of 37exa and months top of 54exa.. you will see a range of $5.7k-$8k for the month. and now guess what the high and low bitcoin PRICE swing was for the month.. yep $5.7k-$8k
magic right... nope. its math

you can atleast find a safe zone of average expectancy of the low price to know if bitcoin is near a low(within the area/zone) or hyped up(way above the area/zone)

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
rasulibragimavic

Activity: 154
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 25, 2018, 10:11:20 AM

It is possible that this year he will not be able to take this bar, but 19-20 will be very hot )

VENUSENERGY | CRYPTOCURRENCY  M I N I N G
https://venusenergy.io/
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
August 25, 2018, 10:23:16 AM

I don't think it will cross $10k again this year. It may never even get anywhere close to $20k again either. I'd wait till the end of the year though as that's when the price tends to rally. If the SEC does ever allow the ETF though that will surely at least cause a rally even if it is only short term, but it will definitely get bitcoin back into the news and maybe attract more FOMO again. I'm also looking at bitcoin further long term, though. The next halving will be interesting. I only hope that bitcoin just doesn't fall so low in the meantime that it becomes unprofitable for many to even mine.

Manuj

Activity: 269
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 25, 2018, 10:28:34 AM

Let us all see. In the previous year, a lot of people were thinking that Bitcoin would hardly even touch $10,000. In September in particular the price was only around $3,000, and yet 3 months later it converted its price from $3,000 to a little shy of $20,000. There is nothing impossible in this wild wild world of crypto. I think we will cross $10,000 once again within the year.
ResuLT

Activity: 294
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 25, 2018, 10:30:01 AM

Yes, indeed. ETF got rejected and now is the time to make more pumps in Bitcoin and also the other cryptocurrencies will follow up the bitcoin!
bitfocus

Activity: 532
Merit: 15

View Profile
August 25, 2018, 10:32:11 AM

$10K is a good price for Bitcoin this year, and I like steady growth over manipulated hype.
mekie

Activity: 308
Merit: 11

View Profile
August 25, 2018, 05:03:33 PM

I would like to see $10k by the end of the year and I think this is a realistic possibility, however I would not like to see it moon to $20K. Following a rise to around $10k I would like it to stabilize at that sort of price which would allow traders to make good returns and at the same time being stable Bitcoins take up and usage will increase.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ●      DAFZO.io      ●  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
CONTRIBUTE in PRIVATE SALE OFFERING 50% BONUS
ZazaG7

Activity: 82

View Profile
August 25, 2018, 05:05:06 PM

I don't figure it will cross $10k again this year. It might never at any point go anyplace near $20k again either. I'd hold up till the year's end however as that is the point at which the value tends to rally. On the off chance that the SEC does ever permit the ETF however that will without a doubt in any event cause a rally regardless of whether it is just here and now, yet it will get bitcoin once more into the news and perhaps draw in more FOMO again. I'm likewise taking a gander at bitcoin additionally long haul, however. The following splitting will intrigue. I just expectation that bitcoin simply doesn't fall so low meanwhile that it ends up unbeneficial for some to try and mine.
Bitocek100000

Activity: 364
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 25, 2018, 05:12:55 PM

At the end of autumn or winter, we will see growth to $ 10,000 only if the decision on ETF is positive. I think this is not the most useful thing that can happen, but only this news can lead to rapid growth.

micher143

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 25, 2018, 05:20:56 PM

Well, I think it is too early to think and to say that bitcoin can't meet again it's $10k value this year because there are 4 months left before end of this year 2018. We cannot predict what will happen to the upcoming few months nobody knows. There are always a possibilities that it will pump again in unexpected value of it and maybe it will dump again. Actually, believes and trust to this system is very important thing therefore we are not easily give up because for sure in the near future we can really gets what we wanted and that is our beautiful success.
lamthanh3462342

Activity: 182

View Profile
August 25, 2018, 05:27:42 PM

Many people still believe that this year Bitcoin price will return to 20k $ but I think 10k $ can not be achieved then how to increase again 20k $ this year. At $ 10k this year it is too hard for bitcoin because it is too difficult to see the school at the moment. Almost all pennies have fallen no clear signs of recovery. But I hope Bitcoin will grow strongly to reassure investors.
nidacoinlove

Activity: 588
Merit: 254

View Profile
August 25, 2018, 05:31:00 PM

Well, I think it is too early to think and to say that bitcoin can't meet again it's $10k value this year because there are 4 months left before end of this year 2018. We cannot predict what will happen to the upcoming few months nobody knows. There are always a possibilities that it will pump again in unexpected value of it and maybe it will dump again. Actually, believes and trust to this system is very important thing therefore we are not easily give up because for sure in the near future we can really gets what we wanted and that is our beautiful success.
This prediction is really too early as there are still three months remaining to end this year and we never know what time Bitcoin can boost. It needs a very little while for it to get it's price high as we are going through the long bearish trend. Cryptocurrency is something we can expect a pump and dump at anytime from it. Also these are the days we have saw in past cryptocurrency bullish trends.
Gaaara

Activity: 1106
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 25, 2018, 05:55:05 PM

Well, reaching $10,000 is a stepping stone towards another and for some assuming it will go higher than that is probably optimist but it is not that easy to predict something as unstable like bitcoin because we still have 4 months before year ends and I am not convinced with the prediction, market can change under any circumstances with that any price is inevitable to predict.  I am assuming it could go for $10,000 but ti wouldn't last long.

MOCKTAIL  -  THE  FIRST  SEMI-FUNGIBLE  TOKEN  ON  BSE 
        WEBSITE        WHITEPAPER        SMART CONTRACT        TWITTER        FACEBOOK        TELEGRAM        ANN

senin

Activity: 938
Merit: 137

View Profile
August 25, 2018, 05:58:33 PM

By the end of this year, bitcoin is quite capable of crossing the price of 10,000 dollars. But how it will behave further, it is rather difficult to forecast. The events of the last months of this year promise to be simply dramatic. Many by the end of the year no longer expect a significant increase in its price, but everything can be. I think that he can get up to $ 15,000 with a good combination of circumstances.
vfrcbv91

Activity: 337
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 25, 2018, 06:03:04 PM

It seems to me that bitcoin will not be able to rise above$ 9,000 of this year. Too much FUD around.
BitcoinNewbie15

Activity: 574
Merit: 296

Bitcoin isn't a bubble. It's the pin!

View Profile
August 25, 2018, 06:15:34 PM

It seems to me that bitcoin will not be able to rise above$ 9,000 of this year. Too much FUD around.

$9000 by this year is certainly a possibility, with FUD or without FUD. There are still 3 months left and Bitcoin can easily gain 30% in one week, we've seen this many times before. What kind of FUD is out there right now? The only FUD I know of is the ETFs being rejected, but even then that really isn't "FUD". There have been many times where there was a lot of FUD surrounding BTC in the past, yet BTC doesn't care. If it is going to rise, trust me it will rise, FUD or no FUD, good news or no good news, BTC just does not care.

BTC is the digital honey badger.
jjacob
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1026

★Nitrogensports.eu★

View Profile
August 25, 2018, 06:28:16 PM

$9000 by this year is certainly a possibility, with FUD or without FUD. There are still 3 months left and Bitcoin can easily gain 30% in one week, we've seen this many times before. What kind of FUD is out there right now? The only FUD I know of is the ETFs being rejected, but even then that really isn't "FUD". There have been many times where there was a lot of FUD surrounding BTC in the past, yet BTC doesn't care. If it is going to rise, trust me it will rise, FUD or no FUD, good news or no good news, BTC just does not care.

BTC is the digital honey badger.

Given Bitcoin's wild swings, $9000 is definitely a possibility, but it doesn't seem likely. The price definitely does not have any momentum and the optimism surrounding cryptocurrencies has waned. There are a lot of people who have invested during the bull run, who are sitting on losses. In a few months, they will lose patience and sell as well.

█████████████████     ████████
       ████████              ████████
     ████████     ███████  ████████     ████████
    ████████     █████████████████     ████████
████████     ████████  ███████     ████████
          ████████     █████████████████
▄▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██     
██
██
▬▬ THE LARGEST & MOST TRUSTED ▬▬
      BITCOIN SPORTSBOOK     
   ▄▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██     
██
██
             ▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▄
     ▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀        ▀▄▄▄▄           
▄▀▀▀▀                 █   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
█                    ▀▄          █
 █   ▀▌     ██▄        █          █               
 ▀▄        ▐████▄       █        █
  █        ███████▄     ▀▄       █
   █      ▐████▄█████████████████████▄
   ▀▄     ███████▀                  ▀██
    █      ▀█████    ▄▄        ▄▄    ██
     █       ▀███   ████      ████   ██
     ▀▄        ██    ▀▀        ▀▀    ██
      █        ██        ▄██▄        ██
       █       ██        ▀██▀        ██
       ▀▄      ██    ▄▄        ▄▄    ██
        █      ██   ████      ████   ██
         █▄▄▄▄▀██    ▀▀        ▀▀    ██
               ██▄                  ▄██
                ▀████████████████████▀

CASINO  ●  DICE  ●  POKER   
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
   24 hour Customer Support   

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: