Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 12:12:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How many of you have been Zhoutonged?  (Read 26405 times)
trogdorjw73

Activity: 482
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2011, 04:28:02 AM

So the little spike up to $2.50 that we just saw, did that take out a bunch of short orders? Maybe Bitcoinica caused it, since the price has now dropped back down almost to where it started 15 minutes ago.

"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

Activity: 392
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2011, 04:44:04 AM

So the little spike up to $2.50 that we just saw, did that take out a bunch of short orders? Maybe Bitcoinica caused it, since the price has now dropped back down almost to where it started 15 minutes ago.

Nah, that was someone trying to troll all the shorts. I hope none of you were liquidated and that you're hanging on.

bittenbob

Activity: 560

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 04:47:11 AM

Nah, that was someone trying to troll all the shorts. I hope none of you were liquidated and that you're hanging on.

I hope that a few of the people praying for $1 BTC were liquidated. Other than that I hope everyone else was ok though. That was quite the little rally though.
Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2011, 04:48:08 AM

I hope that a few of the people praying for $1 BTC were liquidated. Other than that I hope everyone else was ok though. That was quite the little rally though.

Your hopes are dashed then, sir. xD

Mr. Manipulator: COME AT ME BRO

zhoutong
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2011, 04:49:00 AM

We have decreased the default leverage, so volatility like this doesn't hurt most people. But some guys requested a change-back...

About 1/4 to 1/3 of the trades you see are from Bitcoinica. We tried to randomize our price and amount, but the pattern is still quite obvious. There are a lot of limit orders and stop orders at the price range, so we didn't hedge too much.

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2011, 04:51:33 AM

We have decreased the default leverage, so volatility like this doesn't hurt most people. But some guys requested a change-back...

About 1/4 to 1/3 of the trades you see are from Bitcoinica. We tried to randomize our price and amount, but the pattern is still quite obvious. There are a lot of limit orders and stop orders at the price range, so we didn't hedge too much.

When will people learn not to use their maximum leverage? Max leverage = lower risk tolerance. Leave some breathing room, guys! Jeeze..

zhoutong
VIP

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2011, 04:53:07 AM

After the whole craziness, a dead cross appeared. (15-min)

Hourly is still fine.

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

zhoutong
VIP

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2011, 04:55:26 AM

When will people learn not to use their maximum leverage? Max leverage = lower risk tolerance. Leave some breathing room, guys! Jeeze..

It's kind of sad that most brokers encourage their clients to use leverage, simply for more commission profits. We're terribly trained by our bankers and brokers.

bittenbob

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 05:04:41 AM

It's kind of sad that most brokers encourage their clients to use leverage, simply for more commission profits. We're terribly trained by our bankers and brokers.

Well then I guess its a good thing I dont trust bankers nor do I have a broker. The bankers used to make a lot of money off me but as of 2 weeks from now it will be a net loss to them and for the last several months it has been less than $3. If you do not have the currency to spend then you should not be spending it. Period.
zhoutong
VIP

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2011, 05:18:18 AM

Well then I guess its a good thing I dont trust bankers nor do I have a broker. The bankers used to make a lot of money off me but as of 2 weeks from now it will be a net loss to them and for the last several months it has been less than $3. If you do not have the currency to spend then you should not be spending it. Period.

The problem is, savings is evil (inflation), and credit is also evil (interest rates).

Fiat currencies are for economic growth, but they are invented for the rich.

Taking money from the poor and distribute it to the rich is good for economic growth, because the rich is good at making money for the country, therefore they technically deserve more economic power. We all hate it but it's just a sad truth.

It's hard to come up with an alternative. That's why government is a mess.

bittenbob

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 05:27:24 AM

The problem is, savings is evil (inflation), and credit is also evil (interest rates).

Taking money from the poor and distribute it to the rich is good for economic growth, because the rich is good at making money for the country, therefore they technically deserve more economic power. We all hate it but it's just a sad truth.

I just think we need some modern day robin hoods. Kill and steal from the rich to give to the poor (yes the historical version is much more brutal than the disney one). Maybe then they will think twice about supressing their subjects and subjecting them to abject poverty. Either way I am on neither side of the fence for now unless you count my RPP in which the rich bastards I work for match 100% of my contibutions which I would be stupid not to max out lol.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 05:56:18 AM

This is a cyclically stable solution when interspersed with various jubilees, pogroms, and the like.

I could see an argument that such a system provide the highest percentage of 'good times' in that life is generally more enjoyable in a rising economy, so if one has a saw-tooth pattern with very steep leading edges, that can be a good thing.

Although the gradual ascents phases represent periods of time when the majority are loosing their wealth to the wealthy, the wealth make life tolerable for peeps in order to facilitate the wealth transfer and get the peeps excited about various projects...like wars and such.

It's hard to come up with an alternative.  That's why government is a mess.

Or it could be that government is such a mess in order to make it hard to come up with alternatives...

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
gewure

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

[#][#][#]

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 06:17:51 AM

karl marx/friedrich engels

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_materialism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primitive_accumulation_of_capital
Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2011, 06:20:36 AM

After the whole craziness, a dead cross appeared. (15-min)

Hourly is still fine.

I missed this when you posted it. I suppose you are inferring that the market sentiment is now going bullish?

It's hard to believe, bit in Bitcoin nothing is impossible.

Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 06:21:44 AM

I just think we need some modern day robin hoods. Kill and steal from the rich to give to the poor (yes the historical version is much more brutal than the disney one). Maybe then they will think twice about supressing their subjects and subjecting them to abject poverty. Either way I am on neither side of the fence for now unless you count my RPP in which the rich bastards I work for match 100% of my contibutions which I would be stupid not to max out lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collectivization_in_the_Soviet_Union

It was pretty messy, caused much suffering and death, didn't make the poor any richer and the rich (those who lived on through political connections) didn't get any poorer.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 07:00:41 AM

I missed this when you posted it. I suppose you are inferring that the market sentiment is now going bullish?

It's hard to believe, bit in Bitcoin nothing is impossible.

Wasn't it about a month ago that BTC value rose 80% in a couple of weeks?  I would suspect that more and more people who are gambling types will be shifting their bets something like that happening again.  Far from being a big surprise that it might be happening, I figured that most everyone was just questioning when.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
gewure

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

[#][#][#]

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 06:22:05 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collectivization_in_the_Soviet_Union

It was pretty messy, caused much suffering and death, didn't make the poor any richer and the rich (those who lived on through political connections) didn't get any poorer.

exactly. sad story of big failures.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 09:51:12 PM

time to get this thread going again.

so who got Zhoutawnged today?
phorensic

Activity: 630

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 10:28:35 PM

Me...sonofabiatch.  Attempt to play down:  Wasn't leveraged more than 1:1, didn't get a margin call, just liquidated at 12% loss...dangit.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 10:44:02 PM

Me...sonofabiatch.  Attempt to play down:  Wasn't leveraged more than 1:1, didn't get a margin call, just liquidated at 12% loss...dangit.

wait, 1:1 isn't leverage.  why'd you get liquidated?  my broker, Fidelity, calls me the morning of when i'm in a margin call and warns me to cover it by the next days afternoon so i have a chance to get my acct in order.

must suck to get liquidated by a <18 yo. Sad
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: