Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 11:59:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Self-moderated threads, option to leave a comment when deleting messages.  (Read 260 times)
TheBeardedBaby (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 3134

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 08:02:15 AM

This is what is missing in the self-moderated threads.
If I want to delete your comment for a specific reason, I have no option to leave a comment, like when the forum staff do it when they moderate threads.
I have to send you a PM, and if you are newbie you cannot send PMs etc.

I don't know if it's a lot of work but for sure it will be better for both sides to have an option to clarify why you are deleting the comment.
Often you write local rules on the self-moderated threads and if the posts don't fit there it's OK to delete them without further notice but sometimes more explanations are needed, and it can be a good option.

It can follow the same rules as the cool down time for the rank/activity to avoid eventual abuse. You can delete message but to leave a comment you have to wait so and so time.
I know theymos is busy but maybe it should be added to the "to do" list for the new software too.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mdayonliner
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 08:18:17 AM
Merited by TMAN (2), hilariousandco (1)

... if you are newbie you cannot send PMs etc.
Newbies actually can send PMs to anyone. There is an option where you can set the system for you to receive PMs from Newbies, if you care about them. Not all newbie actually spam by the way.

Anyway, seems like an idea which will add some extra flexibility for us.

Be happy be at peace. Looking forward to BTC at $1M
TheBeardedBaby (OP)
Legendary

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 08:22:27 AM

... if you are newbie you cannot send PMs etc.
Newbies actually can send PMs to anyone. There is an option where you can set the system for you to receive PMs from Newbies, if you care about them. Not all newbie actually spam by the way.

~https://i.imgur.com/Ws4lS3g.png~

Anyway, seems like an idea which will add some extra flexibility for us.

Yeah, I know you can send PM's but you have a long cool down time in between the messages, it was like 2 or 3 per day, and other users have to enable to receive the newbie messages /:D/ manually, as they are off by default,  but that's not the point. But thanks anyway Smiley

vphasitha01

Activity: 196
Merit: 172

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 08:48:49 AM

I also agreed with the OP. Some of the Self -moderated thread authors tends to delete ( I have seen that, but now I couldn't find an example) some of the replies even though they are not violated any of the forum or local rules. Those deleted posts are posted by users who not agreeing with the OP's statements or suggestions. That dilutes the discussion and sometimes readers will assuming all members are agreeing or supporters of his idea. As a reader, we want to hear from both parties (supporters and opposition parties). I think giving authority to starting a self-moderated thread should not be mean that the authours having full permission to delete whatever h/she thinks is the right one or not for ongoing conversation. Giving the reason for post deletion would make more transparent and also that's what I think the ethically right way to manage self-moderated threads.  

However, then someone can ask why we are giving away reasons for spammers or rule breakers. Since we need to cover all the aspects and cannot categorise posts what should be giving reasons or not. So giving explanations for all would be fair and that's the practical way to do it.
TeQuiero

Activity: 120
Merit: 38

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 09:02:49 AM
Merited by Pmalek (1), TheBeardedBaby (1)

If I want to delete your comment for a specific reason, I have no option to leave a comment, like when the forum staff do it when they moderate threads.

I think you mean this:
And it's gonna be displayed in the thread like this:
It's not a strange feature though. I support this idea. It's convenient and makes everything fairer.

███    TWITTER     █████████████████ MOCKTAIL ████████████████████     WHITEPAPER     ███
███       ANN                  ██████      FIRST SEMI-FUNGIBLE TOKEN ON BSC     █████    SMART CONTRACT    ███
███  TELEGRAM  █████████████████     SWAP      ███████████████████       PANCAKE      ███
Silent26

Activity: 602
Merit: 326

Politeness: 1227: - 0 / +1

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 09:06:41 AM
Last edit: August 24, 2018, 09:37:03 AM by Silent26

Well, I like the idea as well. There are lot of Newbies (and other members) who were complaining and blaming Moderators because of their post being deleted. Sometimes, not all deleted posts are done by Moderators, some of them are deleted by the Author of the thread which is a self-moderated topic and I'm sure that's the reason why some of the deleted posts don't have any PMed message saying "A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by a Bitcoin Forum moderator.... and so on" to the users but some are really deleted by Moderators without any notice because their posts are included when a thread is deleted.

By granting the Author of a self-moderated thread to leave a comment of why a particular post was deleted will also prevent other members to make repeatedly thread here in Meta asking why their posts were deleted and also will make them realise what they did wrong.

So, it seems like there's nothing bad will happen when this one is applied in the Forum. I'd like to support this one.

But one more thing. I would like to add this.
When a post/reply was deleted. There must be a default message that will tell the user that their post was deleted in this "example thread"  by "example member", just like when a moderator deletes a post/reply. The Author can change/modify the default message if they'd like to.

Edit.
>...<
Based on the image you've provided (this one)

What will happen if I choose the "Do Not Delete Message" option and then click the "Delete this message button"?  Roll Eyes

Edit.
It's just a suggestion. That "Do Not Delete Message" option is unnecessary in this case.
Oh thanks, that enlightened me. I thought it has some special functions. Smiley

404 Not Found
TeQuiero

Activity: 120
Merit: 38

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 09:30:21 AM

What will happen if I choose the "Do Not Delete Message" option and then click the "Delete this message button"?  Roll Eyes

It's just a suggestion. That "Do Not Delete Message" option is unnecessary in this case.

███    TWITTER     █████████████████ MOCKTAIL ████████████████████     WHITEPAPER     ███
███       ANN                  ██████      FIRST SEMI-FUNGIBLE TOKEN ON BSC     █████    SMART CONTRACT    ███
███  TELEGRAM  █████████████████     SWAP      ███████████████████       PANCAKE      ███
TheBeardedBaby (OP)
Legendary

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 09:50:58 AM

I think you mean this:
And it's gonna be displayed in the thread like this:
It's not a strange feature though. I support this idea. It's convenient and makes everything fairer.

Damn, I thought is was implemented already and I missed it somehow Cheesy
Yeah that's cover exactly what my idea is. Maybe can be an extra option to mark multiple messages in the thread and delete them all together with a same comment.

jointherevolution

Activity: 229
Merit: 3

EndChain - Complete Logistical Solution

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 10:54:02 AM

Yes, I think this would be a good idea. I had my comments deleted some times so I would like to know the reason if the person want to tell me about it. My English is not perfect and I often assume it can be that but if there is something I have done to offend, I want to know.

EndChain - Complete logistical solution for all markets and supply chains
ICO Start: 1.12.2018 (https://endchain.io/)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: