Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 03:46:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: ETH amount hacked by Clipboard attack!  (Read 408 times)
tusherk800 (OP)

Activity: 188
Merit: 70

TAU COIN

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 11:05:02 AM
Last edit: August 27, 2018, 06:25:48 AM by tusherk800

Hi friends,

Yesterday one of my friend got hacked by pishing. I mean by clipboard attack. He lost his ETH. It is very dangerous hack.
Clipboard attack can change and know any data while you copy and paste.

So, Be careful while you do copy and paste your password or address. Check every time after pasting your translation address.

And you can also use a manual technique which is unique.

Wherever you save your address or private key will remove/change one digit and save it. but you have to remember the digit. because when you will paste anywhere you have to add the digit by checking the address.

This technique is useful.

No one could hack you even though they have your password.

because only you know the correct password.

Thanks.👍✌️

Friends this awareness in not only for Ethereum but also for all crypto asset. I hope this thread will make us aware and will make more educated.

★ TAU COIN ★
TAU - A server-less unblockable blockchain messenger
WEBSITETelegram
hase0278

Activity: 882
Merit: 544

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 11:22:26 AM

Thanks for the tips OP but I think that method is only effective at preventing yourself from being a victim of the clipboard attack. Also, that method will not make you 100% safe from that kind of attack because the hacker can try to just brute force the character you have edited since he got a clue on how your private key is structured(since you will only edit 1 character). Instead of editing only 1 character, I think editing 5 characters at least will make it harder for the hacker to access your wallet.
tusherk800 (OP)

Activity: 188
Merit: 70

TAU COIN

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 11:26:28 AM
Last edit: August 26, 2018, 11:59:01 AM by tusherk800

Thanks for the tips OP but I think that method is only effective at preventing yourself from being a victim of the clipboard attack. Also, that method will not make you 100% safe from that kind of attack because the hacker can try to just brute force the character you have edited since he got a clue on how your private key is structured(since you will only edit 1 character). Instead of editing only 1 character, I think editing 5 characters at least will make it harder for the hacker to access your wallet.

Thanks, mate. I think it will be more hard for the hacker and we will be safer.

★ TAU COIN ★
TAU - A server-less unblockable blockchain messenger
WEBSITETelegram
bartolo

Activity: 1176
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 02:15:31 PM

In the case of the private key it's best to write it on a sheet of paper, or in two if possible. If not, you will run the risk of forgetting the digits or letters that you have changed and in addition you will still be at risk of being hacked and that the attacker discover your trick, especially if you only change one or more consecutive characters at the start or at the end of the private key.
Mt. Dempo

Activity: 294
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 02:34:58 PM

very dangerous, I always use the clipboard when I want to enter myetherwallet and it turns out that it is a crack to hack my wallet, this is terrible. thank you for your warning and I will use the technique you provided.

🔵🔵🔵🔵🔵🔵🔵  Agareum  🔵  Multiplayer gaming platform, gamified version of an airdrop  🔵🔵🔵🔵🔵🔵🔵
https://agareum.com
dataispower

Activity: 1330
Merit: 289

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 02:38:21 PM

Hi friends,

Yesterday one of my friend got hacked by pishing. I mean by clipboard attack. He lost his ETH. It is very dangerous hack.

So, Be careful while you do copy and paste your password or address. Check every time after pasting your translation address.

Wherever you save your address or private key will remove/change one digit and save it. but you have to remember the digit. because when you will paste anywhere you have to add the digit by checking the address.

Thanks.👍✌️

A great idea, we will change some characters in the password or private key and we have to save those characters somewhere else. I will do it this way, It's a bit of a hassle every time I log in, but it will help me stay safe if I'm attacked
butka

Activity: 434
Merit: 246

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 02:43:46 PM

[...]

This is one of the oldest tricks in the book, but it doesn't mean it is less effective. If you are in a hurry, you can easily overlook that the pasted address is not your intended address.

I don't think manually entering the address is an efficient ways to prevent such an attack. If you often make a lot of transactions, it can be a tedious job. However, for larger transactions, even that is possible.

A vanity address (I have no idea if Etherum has vanity generators, probably yes) is a nice thing to have to counter this kind of attack. You cannot miss noticing that your address has changed.
VanDeinsberg12

Activity: 1540
Merit: 507

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 02:45:58 PM

Hi friends,

Thanks.👍✌️

I have seen so many people have been getting the same case as your friend. Basically your friend's PC has been affected by ransom ware that has copied the scammer's address to the clip board. You should remind your friend to keep update and never try to click on any suspicious link. It seems like your friend being trapped by scammer.

.......[url]CHOOSE LIFE      CHOOSE SPACE      CHOOSE FRIENDS...........[URL].....►  C O M I N G   S O O N.....
talkbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1032

All I know is that I know nothing.

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 02:50:42 PM

that is why you use cold storage!

for ease of use and if you have a considerable amount you just simply buy a hardware wallet and make yourself safe.
if you don't want that they you create a wallet offline and then use that to always sign transactions and then broadcast them online. you can even use MEW for this. there is an offline use section in it. you just have to download the website's source code and have it offline then move between the two systems.

of course it goes without saying that you should always double check everything and never install things you don't know or visit sites that are shady.

Ps. BIP21 that bitcoin has can prevent this Tongue
you just click a link and it fills the information inside your wallet without using clipboard or needing any copy paste.

.L I V E C O I N . N E T.
..PROFITBOX..
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
█████████████▄  ▄████████████
    █████████████████████████
  ██████████▀    ▀█ ▀████████
████  █████▀  ▄▄  ▀█  ▀██████
  ████████▀  ▄██▄  ▀█   ▀████
    ██████   ▀██▀   ██   ████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
██  █████████▄  ▄████████████
  ███████████████████████████
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████████████████▀ ███
█████████████████████▀   ███
    █████████████▀     ████
  █████████████▀   ██    ████
████  █████▀     ██    ████
  ███████▀   ██    ██    ████
    █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████    ██    ██    ████
██  █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████████████████████████
jarojak

Activity: 112
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 03:34:25 PM

Password and other account security related is biggest problem nowadays.  Too many apps, accounts and passwords makes people can not rely on their memory to remember all of them.   Sometimes I already forgot my password as soon as I quit the apps I just sign-up, so I have to write it down on notes.  Thanks for the good tips.
jhenfelipe

Activity: 1372
Merit: 647

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 03:37:55 PM

Copy Paste Malware/Virus.

If you don't want to be a victim, just don't rush when payments/transactions are involve. Tbh, it should always be like that, right? ( well, for me it's a MUST). A minute or two would be enough to double/triple check the address/private key that we pasted.

I have seen so many people have been getting the same case as your friend. Basically your friend's PC has been affected by ransom ware that has copied the scammer's address to the clip board. You should remind your friend to keep update and never try to click on any suspicious link. It seems like your friend being trapped by scammer.
Ransomware is different, the malware encrypts your files and it will not be decrypted unless you pay a ransom to the address given. Friend of mine experienced it, but he didn't pay and decided to just reset the PC (fortunately he has a back up of the files)
Raggie

Activity: 462
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 04:44:07 PM

Hi friends,

Thanks.👍✌️

Honestly i dont know about clipboard attack. How can the hacker know what kind of text copied by me ?
Yes, i am always double checking my pasted address when i want to send some of my coins to the other address.
miyaka26

Activity: 476
Merit: 105

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 04:53:18 PM

It was not just a clipboard attack, it was infested with a virus to infect the copy and pasting of wallet address changing it to hackers wallet address, whenever I paste my own address I always double check it before engaging to any transactions, better to scan your own pc with a decent antivirus, keep your OS updated to patch, don't run any suspicious program.

roadwell890

Activity: 490
Merit: 11

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 04:53:25 PM

thanks, very good advice, indeed I also have a sense of suspicion of some applications on my computer, because some applications, have access to what data we are copying and we will paste, so, I always do tricks like the you say,
and until now, my funds are safe

bundo

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 04:54:18 PM

Hackers Steal Virtual Currency Ethereum It often happens and always finds loopholes. with a review that you write, hopefully everyone will be more careful in maintaining their assets.
Slash61

Activity: 633
Merit: 14

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 04:54:38 PM

In the case of the private key it's best to write it on a sheet of paper, or in two if possible. If not, you will run the risk of forgetting the digits or letters that you have changed and in addition you will still be at risk of being hacked and that the attacker discover your trick, especially if you only change one or more consecutive characters at the start or at the end of the private key.

But I think storing it in memory that is not accessible to the network or can be called offline will be safe because hackers do not have network access to retrieve it, indeed the main mistake is that each of us does not pay attention to the original site and does not pay attention to public connections, it is very risky to use it arbitrarily, so pay attention to its own level of security if after all is lost, everyone doesn't want to know.

Noobaru

Activity: 504
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2018, 07:00:10 PM

Very unfortunate, I'm sorry. We can all just hope we won't get affected by these attacks as well. It's very hard to concentrate and do things right when you are in a hurry and adrenaline starts pumping in.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ■       SKYNET.co       ■ ▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▐▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     PRIVATE SALE is LIVE     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▌
temilade200

Activity: 378
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 08:03:52 PM

I think this is actually one of the safest ways to prevent being hacked. Hackers are seriously at it. They are devising different ways of hacking into the wallets of innocent ones. That is why the use of hardware wallet is advisable. With that you will be 100% safe and there won't be any fear of someone hacking into your wallet.  If you are yet to get yours, then do not copy paste your private key directly to anywhere.
steve_rogers321

Activity: 70

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 08:21:43 PM

That's an interesting post. We need to be very careful while surfing on internet as the rates of hacking through malware and phishing websites have increased a lot. I rather prefer writing the passwords on a paper and store it somewhere safe.
cryptoking252

Activity: 84

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 08:40:26 PM

Thanks a lot for this tip and for giving the people a heads up regarding this. It is a bummer that there is a crack on the wallet and that all of these can be done using clipboard.
CoinOnTheBeach321

Activity: 56

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 09:07:44 PM

This is a bit shocking. People are coming up with so many ways to scam the people. And the fact that they used the clipboard to do that is baffling. But thanks a lot for warning us about it.
dumplingsandsushi

Activity: 476
Merit: 41

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2018, 09:12:36 PM

Or, why not avoid the problem completely and make a cold wallet?
You will never be phished if you have a cold wallet.
Better yet, stick your addresses and keys in a safe or vault hidden in your home and no one will rob you.

Feel like cold wallets are too much of a hassle?
Then get a hardware wallet.
Yeah, the good ones can be expensive (ledgers are around $100), but they are easy to use, and 1000x more secure than anything else.

Basically, if you are using any mobile, web, or pc based wallet, you are putting yourself at risk.
Don't let convenience make you lazy in protecting your assets.

Oh, and did I mention that leaving everything on an exchange is the worst idea ever?
I can't believe people actually do that...

Devawnm367

Activity: 1022
Merit: 144

Penguin Party 🐟

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 09:17:36 PM

Hi friends,

Thanks.👍✌️

Friends this awareness in not only for Ethereum but also for all crypto asset. I hope this thread will make us aware and will make more educated.

I have always wondered about this, I have also never thought to change eather 1 letter or number!!!!

Thanks for the tip!

𝕻𝖊𝖓𝖌𝖚𝖎𝖓 𝕾𝖜𝛼𝖕
PENGUIN PARTY BAITSHOP!
Swap, Pool, Stake, or Vote
tamango

Activity: 602
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 09:18:06 PM

I'm very sorry for your friend loss...  I'm really scared about this kind of attacks and that's the reason that I use a cold hardware wallet
HyperLup

Activity: 546
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 09:20:28 PM

We must make sure that we use the original site while doing our work on the internet, it will be useful to check and clean our computer at regular intervals. Also, we should not store our private keys on our computer.
Aptekary

Activity: 602
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 09:35:59 PM

We must make sure that we use the original site while doing our work on the internet, it will be useful to check and clean our computer at regular intervals. Also, we should not store our private keys on our computer.
It seems to me that the technology is developing and hackers are using every opportunity to achieve their goal. Our personal data and financial resources are always under attack and unintended actions can become dangerous for our property. On this basis, you can not just expect that something will be safe.
liripoop

Activity: 232

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 09:41:56 PM

The fact that people are now being able to hack by using the aid of clipboard is somewhat terrifying. This makes us look so vulnerable. But thank you for sharing it with us and for warning us.
SummerHamster

Activity: 58

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 10:24:15 PM

I think this is really one of the most secure approaches to anticipate being hacked. They are formulating diverse methods for hacking into the wallets. That is the reason the utilization of a hardware wallet is fitting. With that, you will be 100% safe and there won't be any dread of somebody hacking into your wallet.
GreotDollyce

Activity: 92

View Profile
August 29, 2018, 05:30:20 PM

Thank you a lot for the information. There are a lot of hackers those who try to get the User id and password to get the personal information. So, we should be careful about clicking on the various advertisements. Those advertisements are also for phishing.
WrayburnBTC

Activity: 65

View Profile
August 29, 2018, 05:44:22 PM

I think using vanity address is an efficient technique to spot clipboard attack. This trick is more effective and beneficial when we have many transactions. That manual trick is good but very time-consuming.
MeaglesMind

Activity: 181

View Profile
August 29, 2018, 05:47:02 PM

You have given a very good idea. I frequently use clipboard and I did not have any idea about this type of attack. Next time I definitely will try out this manual trick.
ynatopak14

Activity: 458
Merit: 112

View Profile
August 29, 2018, 05:47:42 PM

This is great tip for all the user here in forum.
i never put my address on any website but here in the forum or in google form.
btw, about hacking, the private key was paste in any thing? or anywhere?
NeckettMarket

Activity: 77

View Profile
August 29, 2018, 05:49:33 PM

I cannot thank you enough for this awareness post. This is really horrifying!  The technique you have provided sounds really effective to prevent ourselves from getting victim of clipboard attack.
GhostAltCoin

Activity: 69

View Profile
August 29, 2018, 05:53:20 PM

I think your companion's PC has been influenced by ransomware that has duplicated the con artists deliver to the clipboard. You ought to remind your companion to keep refresh and never attempt to tap on any suspicious connection. It appears as though your companion being caught by a scammer.
bit..what?

Activity: 294

View Profile
August 29, 2018, 05:56:23 PM

Thanks for your advice.
I will pay more attention in the future, if i have the right address in the clipboard.
Really a shame, as hackers try to steal our crypto.

✦ BCB ATM ✦
The Bitcoin ATM Network ₿ Bringing Digital Currencies to Local High Streets!
Thatimber7

Activity: 43

View Profile
August 29, 2018, 05:56:43 PM

It’s really a great and easy way to secure your wallet. But can it be completely secured your wallet from every attack? I think everyone should be more aware of this kind of attack to save their assets.     
Muhammad Muneeb

Activity: 644
Merit: 101

📱 CARTESI 📱 INFRASTRUCTURE FOR DAP

View Profile
August 29, 2018, 05:57:26 PM

Hi friends,

Thanks.👍✌️

yes this is an old attack some months ago i watched a youtube video in which he was discussing this virus which change the sending address, always check the last and starting digit of your address before sending the funds

Catesknee

Activity: 252

View Profile
August 29, 2018, 06:01:23 PM

It’s really a safe way. The hackers are just insane, in any way they managed to hack your wallet. That’s why I always prefer hardware wallet which is comparatively safer than other wallets.
SnodGrass74

Activity: 79

View Profile
August 29, 2018, 06:12:43 PM

On account of the private key, it's best to compose it on a sheet of paper, or in two if conceivable. If not, you will risk overlooking the digits or letters that you have changed and what's more, you will, in any case, be in danger of being hacked and that the aggressor finds your trap.
CryptoSimmonds

View Profile
August 29, 2018, 06:15:09 PM

It’s a good idea indeed. This type of problem becomes a regular thing nowadays. Thanks for sharing this trick. It will definitely help people to not being the victim of this kind attack.
KonstaNB

Activity: 23

View Profile
August 29, 2018, 06:16:20 PM

Hi friends,

Thanks.👍✌️

thanks for the helpful advice
GreotDollyce

Activity: 92

View Profile
August 29, 2018, 07:12:07 PM

The clipboard are not secured. So i think your idea is great to keeping ourselves safe from the attacks. But it won't work against other types of attacks because not all attacks depend on copy-paste.
Lisedc

View Profile
August 29, 2018, 07:24:28 PM

Thanks for sharing the tips. I think one of the major task should be keeping devices safe from malwares. Because most of the time hackers operate with the help of malwares.
QuebecBTT

Activity: 54

View Profile
August 29, 2018, 07:36:32 PM

The most important thing is make the device secure. Because if you don't do that hacker can fetch information from your devices through viruses. So we should ensure this first.
markluis

Activity: 168

View Profile
August 30, 2018, 12:46:08 AM

Oh this is frightening. Nothing is safe in the world. Thanks for sharing the incident and the method to get rid of this kind of dangerous situation.  I will be more conscious from today.
jyotsna060278

Activity: 105

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2018, 12:53:44 AM

Thanks for let us for such an attack. Really surprised by such hacking and stealing from dashboard. It is really now these days important to secure from such type of hacking attacks.
Omela44
Copper Member

Activity: 266

View Profile
August 30, 2018, 12:59:08 AM

Another new method of cheating and stealing. These people keep coming up with new ideas, crazy. Thanks for the warning.
tomward

Activity: 182

View Profile
August 30, 2018, 01:48:05 AM

thank you so much for sharing this news with us ,it will help the other to stay conscious but if we can we can also prevent it as well by being careful about choosing any new coins or projects,  never approved anything if you are  not extra sure about it.
samarabtc

Activity: 266

View Profile
August 30, 2018, 12:56:44 PM

yes I have also heard about this news, few more investors also have to face it which is really unfortunate but the good news is the authority are now being more serious about users safety but yes our support and consiousness is also important
johnethearn

Activity: 308

View Profile
August 30, 2018, 02:39:56 PM

Hackers always try to Snip Virtual Currency Ethereum.It frequently happens and always treasures gaps. I think after seeing your writing everyone is become more carefull.
jonloner011

Activity: 224

View Profile
August 30, 2018, 04:49:16 PM

I think there should be third parties which will deal with this sort of attacks by creating changelog of the password and it will keep changing on behalf of the investor for a considerable service charge as most of the investor are newbies and don't know how to deal. What do you guys think?
toshisoroki

Activity: 198

"Reserve Your Ledger at GYMLEDGER.COM"

View Profile
August 31, 2018, 11:29:23 AM

ETH is very tasty part for such moves and I am not surprised with it, I am sure that ETH will be attacked so much times in future just be ready for this to compete.

GYM Ledger  //  The World's 1st Health Band with Integrated Hardware Wallet
https://gymledger.com/
Join Pre-SALE  |  OCTOBER 1st
geopolisch

Activity: 1022
Merit: 511

View Profile
September 04, 2018, 11:21:14 AM

Hi friends,

Thanks.👍✌️

I am really not sure about the whole clipboard attack thing, but unless a malware is on your system and hackers are spying on what you are inputting, or you simply ended up becoming a victim of a phishing website without you verifying where you are inputting your passwords, then you make yourself vulnerable to being hacked which is what a lot of people due to their carelessness have ended up experiencing many times, and people still do not learn. It is a good thing pointing it out though for more awareness on security of one's funds.
richmcrich

Activity: 1120
Merit: 507

View Profile
September 05, 2018, 05:30:03 AM

Thanks for sharing the tips. I think one of the major task should be keeping devices safe from malwares. Because most of the time hackers operate with the help of malwares.
What I feel is that a lot of people usually do not take security seriously and you get to see people who really do not even know much on how they can utilize additional features of security to get their accounts secured all because they do not want to learn. Clipboard, phishing or malware as the case may be, is not something that can be ruled out since this is the way hackers try to find vulnerable ones to feed on.

However, added security features like 2FA, email login etc., will enable an additional layer of security which would make it hard for the hackers to access but still, a lot of people do not even use these things.
Chesterjems

Activity: 75

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 11:22:32 AM

I have heard so many stories about Clipboard and all of them were in the same sphere. I think that this one will be closed so soon because there is nothing good from this unlike different problems with working and people's losing money which is connected to its doing so much.
Hammonds

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 29, 2018, 02:36:38 AM

Indeed Ethereum is a lot of things sought by hackers.
I commend you for doing this, but unfortunately I have never experienced that and I hope that in the future I will not do things like that.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: