Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 06:51:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ETH amount hacked by Clipboard attack!  (Read 408 times)
tusherk800 (OP)

Activity: 188
Merit: 70

TAU COIN

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 11:05:02 AM
Last edit: August 27, 2018, 06:25:48 AM by tusherk800

Hi friends,

Yesterday one of my friend got hacked by pishing. I mean by clipboard attack. He lost his ETH. It is very dangerous hack.
Clipboard attack can change and know any data while you copy and paste.

So, Be careful while you do copy and paste your password or address. Check every time after pasting your translation address.

And you can also use a manual technique which is unique.

Wherever you save your address or private key will remove/change one digit and save it. but you have to remember the digit. because when you will paste anywhere you have to add the digit by checking the address.

This technique is useful.

No one could hack you even though they have your password.

because only you know the correct password.

Thanks.👍✌️

Friends this awareness in not only for Ethereum but also for all crypto asset. I hope this thread will make us aware and will make more educated.

★ TAU COIN ★
TAU - A server-less unblockable blockchain messenger
WEBSITETelegram
hase0278

Activity: 882
Merit: 544

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 11:22:26 AM

Thanks for the tips OP but I think that method is only effective at preventing yourself from being a victim of the clipboard attack. Also, that method will not make you 100% safe from that kind of attack because the hacker can try to just brute force the character you have edited since he got a clue on how your private key is structured(since you will only edit 1 character). Instead of editing only 1 character, I think editing 5 characters at least will make it harder for the hacker to access your wallet.
tusherk800 (OP)

Activity: 188
Merit: 70

TAU COIN

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 11:26:28 AM
Last edit: August 26, 2018, 11:59:01 AM by tusherk800

Thanks for the tips OP but I think that method is only effective at preventing yourself from being a victim of the clipboard attack. Also, that method will not make you 100% safe from that kind of attack because the hacker can try to just brute force the character you have edited since he got a clue on how your private key is structured(since you will only edit 1 character). Instead of editing only 1 character, I think editing 5 characters at least will make it harder for the hacker to access your wallet.

Thanks, mate. I think it will be more hard for the hacker and we will be safer.

★ TAU COIN ★
TAU - A server-less unblockable blockchain messenger
WEBSITETelegram
bartolo

Activity: 1176
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 02:15:31 PM

In the case of the private key it's best to write it on a sheet of paper, or in two if possible. If not, you will run the risk of forgetting the digits or letters that you have changed and in addition you will still be at risk of being hacked and that the attacker discover your trick, especially if you only change one or more consecutive characters at the start or at the end of the private key.
Mt. Dempo

Activity: 294
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 02:34:58 PM

very dangerous, I always use the clipboard when I want to enter myetherwallet and it turns out that it is a crack to hack my wallet, this is terrible. thank you for your warning and I will use the technique you provided.

🔵🔵🔵🔵🔵🔵🔵  Agareum  🔵  Multiplayer gaming platform, gamified version of an airdrop  🔵🔵🔵🔵🔵🔵🔵
https://agareum.com
dataispower

Activity: 1330
Merit: 289

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 02:38:21 PM

Hi friends,

Yesterday one of my friend got hacked by pishing. I mean by clipboard attack. He lost his ETH. It is very dangerous hack.

So, Be careful while you do copy and paste your password or address. Check every time after pasting your translation address.

Wherever you save your address or private key will remove/change one digit and save it. but you have to remember the digit. because when you will paste anywhere you have to add the digit by checking the address.

Thanks.👍✌️

A great idea, we will change some characters in the password or private key and we have to save those characters somewhere else. I will do it this way, It's a bit of a hassle every time I log in, but it will help me stay safe if I'm attacked
butka

Activity: 434
Merit: 246

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 02:43:46 PM

[...]

This is one of the oldest tricks in the book, but it doesn't mean it is less effective. If you are in a hurry, you can easily overlook that the pasted address is not your intended address.

I don't think manually entering the address is an efficient ways to prevent such an attack. If you often make a lot of transactions, it can be a tedious job. However, for larger transactions, even that is possible.

A vanity address (I have no idea if Etherum has vanity generators, probably yes) is a nice thing to have to counter this kind of attack. You cannot miss noticing that your address has changed.
VanDeinsberg12

Activity: 1540
Merit: 507

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 02:45:58 PM

Hi friends,

Thanks.👍✌️

I have seen so many people have been getting the same case as your friend. Basically your friend's PC has been affected by ransom ware that has copied the scammer's address to the clip board. You should remind your friend to keep update and never try to click on any suspicious link. It seems like your friend being trapped by scammer.

.......[url]CHOOSE LIFE      CHOOSE SPACE      CHOOSE FRIENDS...........[URL].....►  C O M I N G   S O O N.....
talkbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1032

All I know is that I know nothing.

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 02:50:42 PM

that is why you use cold storage!

for ease of use and if you have a considerable amount you just simply buy a hardware wallet and make yourself safe.
if you don't want that they you create a wallet offline and then use that to always sign transactions and then broadcast them online. you can even use MEW for this. there is an offline use section in it. you just have to download the website's source code and have it offline then move between the two systems.

of course it goes without saying that you should always double check everything and never install things you don't know or visit sites that are shady.

Ps. BIP21 that bitcoin has can prevent this Tongue
you just click a link and it fills the information inside your wallet without using clipboard or needing any copy paste.

.L I V E C O I N . N E T.
..PROFITBOX..
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
█████████████▄  ▄████████████
    █████████████████████████
  ██████████▀    ▀█ ▀████████
████  █████▀  ▄▄  ▀█  ▀██████
  ████████▀  ▄██▄  ▀█   ▀████
    ██████   ▀██▀   ██   ████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
██  █████████▄  ▄████████████
  ███████████████████████████
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████████████████▀ ███
█████████████████████▀   ███
    █████████████▀     ████
  █████████████▀   ██    ████
████  █████▀     ██    ████
  ███████▀   ██    ██    ████
    █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████    ██    ██    ████
██  █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████████████████████████
jarojak

Activity: 112
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 03:34:25 PM

Password and other account security related is biggest problem nowadays.  Too many apps, accounts and passwords makes people can not rely on their memory to remember all of them.   Sometimes I already forgot my password as soon as I quit the apps I just sign-up, so I have to write it down on notes.  Thanks for the good tips.
jhenfelipe

Activity: 1372
Merit: 647

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 03:37:55 PM

Copy Paste Malware/Virus.

If you don't want to be a victim, just don't rush when payments/transactions are involve. Tbh, it should always be like that, right? ( well, for me it's a MUST). A minute or two would be enough to double/triple check the address/private key that we pasted.

I have seen so many people have been getting the same case as your friend. Basically your friend's PC has been affected by ransom ware that has copied the scammer's address to the clip board. You should remind your friend to keep update and never try to click on any suspicious link. It seems like your friend being trapped by scammer.
Ransomware is different, the malware encrypts your files and it will not be decrypted unless you pay a ransom to the address given. Friend of mine experienced it, but he didn't pay and decided to just reset the PC (fortunately he has a back up of the files)
Raggie

Activity: 462
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 04:44:07 PM

Hi friends,

Thanks.👍✌️

Honestly i dont know about clipboard attack. How can the hacker know what kind of text copied by me ?
Yes, i am always double checking my pasted address when i want to send some of my coins to the other address.
miyaka26

Activity: 476
Merit: 105

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 04:53:18 PM

It was not just a clipboard attack, it was infested with a virus to infect the copy and pasting of wallet address changing it to hackers wallet address, whenever I paste my own address I always double check it before engaging to any transactions, better to scan your own pc with a decent antivirus, keep your OS updated to patch, don't run any suspicious program.

roadwell890

Activity: 490
Merit: 11

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 04:53:25 PM

thanks, very good advice, indeed I also have a sense of suspicion of some applications on my computer, because some applications, have access to what data we are copying and we will paste, so, I always do tricks like the you say,
and until now, my funds are safe

bundo

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 04:54:18 PM

Hackers Steal Virtual Currency Ethereum It often happens and always finds loopholes. with a review that you write, hopefully everyone will be more careful in maintaining their assets.
Slash61

Activity: 633
Merit: 14

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 04:54:38 PM

In the case of the private key it's best to write it on a sheet of paper, or in two if possible. If not, you will run the risk of forgetting the digits or letters that you have changed and in addition you will still be at risk of being hacked and that the attacker discover your trick, especially if you only change one or more consecutive characters at the start or at the end of the private key.

But I think storing it in memory that is not accessible to the network or can be called offline will be safe because hackers do not have network access to retrieve it, indeed the main mistake is that each of us does not pay attention to the original site and does not pay attention to public connections, it is very risky to use it arbitrarily, so pay attention to its own level of security if after all is lost, everyone doesn't want to know.

Noobaru

Activity: 504
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2018, 07:00:10 PM

Very unfortunate, I'm sorry. We can all just hope we won't get affected by these attacks as well. It's very hard to concentrate and do things right when you are in a hurry and adrenaline starts pumping in.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ■       SKYNET.co       ■ ▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▐▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     PRIVATE SALE is LIVE     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▌
temilade200

Activity: 378
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 08:03:52 PM

I think this is actually one of the safest ways to prevent being hacked. Hackers are seriously at it. They are devising different ways of hacking into the wallets of innocent ones. That is why the use of hardware wallet is advisable. With that you will be 100% safe and there won't be any fear of someone hacking into your wallet.  If you are yet to get yours, then do not copy paste your private key directly to anywhere.
steve_rogers321

Activity: 70

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 08:21:43 PM

That's an interesting post. We need to be very careful while surfing on internet as the rates of hacking through malware and phishing websites have increased a lot. I rather prefer writing the passwords on a paper and store it somewhere safe.
cryptoking252

Activity: 84

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 08:40:26 PM

Thanks a lot for this tip and for giving the people a heads up regarding this. It is a bummer that there is a crack on the wallet and that all of these can be done using clipboard.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: