Bitcoin Forum
October 15, 2019, 08:11:05 AM *
News: If you like a topic and you see an orange "bump" link, click it. More info.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [overview] Recover Bitcoin from any old storage format  (Read 2980 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 2 users deleted.)
ETFbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 2051

Use SegWit and enjoy lower fees.

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2019, 06:36:26 PM

I'm not sure how an offline cloud service would work: if it's offline, you can't store data.

I think he meant cloud storage which store the data off-site / use off-site storage (the data stored on server which isn't connected to internet physically). But waiting the data stored on off-site storage & vice-versa took some time.

Can't remember if there are any cloud storage service which offer off-site storage though.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pooya87
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1968

Remember tonight for it's the beginning of forever

View Profile
July 19, 2019, 05:19:02 AM
Merited by LoyceV (2)

What if I store my privkeys and all these wallets over CLOUD services?

cloud services can never be an option and here is the problem, when you store your private keys on a cloud server you need to encrypt it first. and we are talking about a strong encryption which means you now have to create a backup of that strong (long and random with symbols,...) password so we are back at square one of you looking for a way to store something!
not to mention you now have to also create a backup of the login details of that cloud service somewhere. you can't just click save password in your browser or write it in a text file stored on your hard disk. and this password has to be equally strong.
and finally you should think about the risk of them closing your account for whatever reason. you will have no control over that.

DaveF

Activity: 1584
Merit: 799

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2019, 10:51:20 PM

Just because I had this happen.

When restoring from very old core wallets (wallet.dat) keep in mind that you might have to use the same OS (Linux / Win / Mac) as the original file.
Not sure why, but I could not import a 0.7.1 wallet.dat from a Linux box into a Windows one. Gave a corrupt error and shutdown.

Popped the file into a CentOs like it was originally on and no issues.
Moved the updated wallet.dat back to the Windows machine and all was good. So it was something with the older version of the wallet.dat from a foreign OS

Did a 2nd time to verify that I was just not being stupid and the same thing happened.

Should probably spend some time doing some other checks but I'm a slacker not that motivated  Grin

-Dave

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████▀▀▀▀███▄
███████▀     ████
███████   ███████
█████        ████
███████   ███████
▀██████   ██████▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
██    ▄▄▄▄▄ ▀  ██
██   █▀   ▀█   ██
██   █▄   ▄█   ██
██    ▀▀▀▀▀    ██
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
█▄▄      ████████▄
 █████▄▄████████▌
▀██████████████▌
  █████████████
  ▀██████████▀
   ▄▄██████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

██  ██
  ███████████▄
    ██      ▀█
    ██▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
    ██▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
    ██      ▄█
  ███████████▀
    ██  ██

▄
       ▄  ▄█▄ ▀█▀      ▄
      ▀█▀  ▀   ▄  ▄█▄ ▀█▀
███▄▄▄        ▀█▀  ▀     ▄▄▄███       ▐█▄    ▄█▌   ▐█▌   █▄    ▐█▌   ████████   █████▄     ██    ▄█████▄▄   ▐█████▌
████████▄▄           ▄▄████████       ▐███▄▄███▌   ▐█▌   ███▄  ▐█▌      ██      █▌  ▀██    ██   ▄██▀   ▀▀   ▐█
███████████▄       ▄███████████       ▐█▌▀██▀▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██▀██▄▐█▌      ██      █▌   ▐█▌   ██   ██          ▐█████▌
 ████████████     ████████████        ▐█▌    ▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██  ▀███▌      ██      █▌  ▄██    ██   ▀██▄   ▄▄   ▐█
  ████████████   ████████████         ▐█▌    ▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██    ▀█▌      ██      █████▀     ██    ▀█████▀▀   ▐█████▌
   ▀███████████ ███████████▀
     ▀███████████████████▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
FIND OUT MORE AT MINTDICE.COM
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1599

View Profile
October 07, 2019, 11:11:22 PM
Last edit: October 07, 2019, 11:21:56 PM by Welsh

When restoring from very old core wallets (wallet.dat) keep in mind that you might have to use the same OS (Linux / Win / Mac) as the original file.
Not sure why, but I could not import a 0.7.1 wallet.dat from a Linux box into a Windows one. Gave a corrupt error and shutdown.

Moved the updated wallet.dat back to the Windows machine and all was good. So it was something with the older version of the wallet.dat from a foreign OS
I can't think why there would be a reason for this to be happening, because as far as I know the current Bitcoin Core versions should be fully backward compatible with older versions, and the wallet.dat doesn't hold any information on what OS was used during creation. However, alternatively you could have imported the private key instead of running the original OS that the wallet was created on, unless you haven't backed up your private key. There's the other option of importing your seed which was generated at the creation of the wallet too. AFAIK, there should not be any problems with importing older wallet.dat files into newer operating systems even if they're different.

Personally, I don't rely on the wallet.dat file, and have backups of my private keys which I took care in making sure they never touched a electronic device, and aren't stored in plain text. Although, I still have hot wallets like anyone else, but the majority of my Bitcoin is stored via these offline generated private keys.

I believe a certain version of Electrum abandoned backwards compatibility a few years ago, but I'm not sure if I'm recalling that correctly, and even then I don't think Bitcoin Core in its history has rejected backward compatibility. Of course, even if older software isn't backward compt

DaveF

Activity: 1584
Merit: 799

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2019, 01:12:38 AM
Last edit: October 08, 2019, 02:10:32 AM by DaveF

I can't think why there would be a reason for this to be happening, because as far as I know the current Bitcoin Core versions should be fully backward compatible with older versions, and the wallet.dat doesn't hold any information on what OS was used during creation. However, alternatively you could have imported the private key instead of running the original OS that the wallet was created on, unless you haven't backed up your private key. There's the other option of importing your seed which was generated at the creation of the wallet too. AFAIK, there should not be any problems with importing older wallet.dat files into newer operating systems even if they're different.

Personally, I don't rely on the wallet.dat file, and have backups of my private keys which I took care in making sure they never touched a electronic device, and aren't stored in plain text. Although, I still have hot wallets like anyone else, but the majority of my Bitcoin is stored via these offline generated private keys.

I believe a certain version of Electrum abandoned backwards compatibility a few years ago, but I'm not sure if I'm recalling that correctly, and even then I don't think Bitcoin Core in its history has rejected backward compatibility. Of course, even if older software isn't backward compt

I know it should not matter, but it did.

And the only reason I even thought about going back to the Linux box was there was a post someplace (here / reddit / somewhere) with somebody having the same issue that I saw a long time ago. So there were at least 2 people with the issue before this. The one who had it and the one who told him the solution. So, since also happened to me, I figured it was worth a mention.

The only thing I can come up with, and this is a stretch, is that there was a very minor difference with some versions of the DB, depending on the OS and how you compiled it.
But that is really pulling something out of the air and grasping for a reason.

-Dave

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████▀▀▀▀███▄
███████▀     ████
███████   ███████
█████        ████
███████   ███████
▀██████   ██████▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
██    ▄▄▄▄▄ ▀  ██
██   █▀   ▀█   ██
██   █▄   ▄█   ██
██    ▀▀▀▀▀    ██
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
█▄▄      ████████▄
 █████▄▄████████▌
▀██████████████▌
  █████████████
  ▀██████████▀
   ▄▄██████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

██  ██
  ███████████▄
    ██      ▀█
    ██▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
    ██▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
    ██      ▄█
  ███████████▀
    ██  ██

▄
       ▄  ▄█▄ ▀█▀      ▄
      ▀█▀  ▀   ▄  ▄█▄ ▀█▀
███▄▄▄        ▀█▀  ▀     ▄▄▄███       ▐█▄    ▄█▌   ▐█▌   █▄    ▐█▌   ████████   █████▄     ██    ▄█████▄▄   ▐█████▌
████████▄▄           ▄▄████████       ▐███▄▄███▌   ▐█▌   ███▄  ▐█▌      ██      █▌  ▀██    ██   ▄██▀   ▀▀   ▐█
███████████▄       ▄███████████       ▐█▌▀██▀▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██▀██▄▐█▌      ██      █▌   ▐█▌   ██   ██          ▐█████▌
 ████████████     ████████████        ▐█▌    ▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██  ▀███▌      ██      █▌  ▄██    ██   ▀██▄   ▄▄   ▐█
  ████████████   ████████████         ▐█▌    ▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██    ▀█▌      ██      █████▀     ██    ▀█████▀▀   ▐█████▌
   ▀███████████ ███████████▀
     ▀███████████████████▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
FIND OUT MORE AT MINTDICE.COM
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.