Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:36:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling out the Bitcoin Foundation Scam.  (Read 22513 times)
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 01:43:17 PM

I must admit.
I have never heard of this Bitcoin Foundation before this post.

What is it that they do exactly?

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitOnyx

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Cryptocurrencies Exchange

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 02:13:47 PM

Well everyone cal create foundation and can give it different names. No one car really force any one to give them money, same as no one can take away they money unless it would be used in different way than foundation states. We could create another foundation but who really want to waste time on it. Only problem might be they sometimes represent bitcoin, but soon second market or other bit company might to do and I wouldn't be surprised if it would end up even worst.

Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 02:47:49 PM

Finally people have realized that they are nothing more than a scam, I have never supported anything which the foundation has done even though they have claimed many times that they represent the Bitcoin community. I can't believe so many 'respected' people actually supported them and even defended them on occasions where they have been call out to be a scam with quality evidence.

We don't need a foundation we don't need any one to represent the Bitcoin community or Bitcoin itself.
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2198

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 02:55:39 PM
Last edit: March 03, 2014, 03:16:52 PM by bitcoininformation

I agree with you MPOE-PR. They should have been shut down long ago. I'm against the Bitcoin Foundation and won't be represented by them nor will I ever acknowledge them as leaders, example, or whatever they might want to be. They aren't elected, they don't communicate with the community, you have to buy your way into it, etc. It's just a big no-go.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 02:58:01 PM

Yeah, what a scam to take peoples membership money and use it to organize conferences, lobby regulators, provide a resource for business and the press, to provide a space to coordinate the volunteer efforts of dozens of people who actually do something. Wow such scam! Only a doggy based coin could save us now.  Roll Eyes

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 03:01:20 PM

Yeah, what a scam to take peoples membership money and use it to organize conferences, lobby regulators, provide a resource for business and the press, to provide a space to coordinate the volunteer efforts of dozens of people who actually do something. Wow such scam! Only a doggy based coin could save us now.  Roll Eyes

Bitcoin Foundation founders violated their own by-laws. Nuff said.
Pangia

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 03:05:23 PM

I must admit.

The do exactly what they were doing before you ever heard of them: NOTHING.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 03:09:41 PM

I must admit.

The do exactly what they were doing before you ever heard of them: NOTHING.

I guess that's why I have never heard of them Wink

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 03:13:42 PM

I remember having a long debate with Yankee about the validity of having a "Bitcoin Foundation" in the announcement thread. There were four things that made it invalid for me and I never joined. It violates the prime directive: thou shalt not centralize a decentralized currency, it was formed without a discussion first, it's initial leadership was not representative of the community but representative of business instead and its primary goal was to have big business pay a developer to advance an open source project. Since then it has focused its attention on one country (because perhaps TBF leadership knew that would be the country that eventually jailed them and they needed the support). I ended my debate with Charlie by simply agreeing that it may be good for business but it's not for me and good luck. I was distraught by observing so many supposedly respectable and respected members of the community, which I believed was about real individual freedom, lashing out at anyone that didn't support the newly formed TBF because I did not see it supporting the concepts that these faux visionaries touted. The issue for me isn't the existence of TBF but the way it solicited its massive amount of funding by convincing simpletons to join a non representative organization, use that funding to advance goals that are not in the best interest of its membership and that it required those simpletons to reveal their true identity to be a member.

BTW: Props to MPOE-PR for shedding light on the big problems that no one else will.

BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 03:37:07 PM

couldn't agree more.

two of the core founders are known money laundering scammers.

This is a false statement.  
Based on the information that has been made available, I don't feel that Shrem had any intentions to defraud anyone, nor blatantly break any laundering laws.
As for Karpeles, nobody knows what happened yet.
He does display an incredibly abnormal behavior pattern (stuffing envelopes while Gox was crashed and in emergency state.  Deciding to take the weekend off while his team scrambled to get back online.  Taking his sweet time at Starbucks while people were outside his office, protesting the loss of millions of dollars).  
I dont know if that is arrogance, sociopath behavior or what, but his issues will be made clear soon.

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2014/03/bitcoin-exchange/

His propensity for bragging and arrogance (as per the wired article at least), wanting to be called "King of Bitcoin" and bragging about his Mensa membership says a lot.
The fact that such an individual helped found the first centralized ego foundation for Bitcoin with 5,000 of his own coins, lends more credibility to the attitude behind the creation of the organization.

Keep the focus on the fact that Bitcoin doesn't need, and shouldn't have a Foundation.  
I realize this flies in the face of everything we understand about worldwide financial systems, but the internet never needed a Foundation.

And lets acknowledge that the Foundation has done some good things to help stave-off regulators for awhile, giving the platform some time to take hold around the world.
But there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that an organization like this should slowly be dissolved, else it will grow into something completely contrary to what Bitcoin represents, eventually.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
ThickAsThieves

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 03:48:49 PM

couldn't agree more.

two of the core founders are known money laundering scammers.

This is a false statement.  
Based on the information that has been made available, I don't feel that Shrem had any intentions to defraud anyone, nor blatantly break any laundering laws.
As for Karpeles, nobody knows what happened yet.
He does display an incredibly abnormal behavior pattern (stuffing envelopes while Gox was crashed and in emergency state.  Deciding to take the weekend off while his team scrambled to get back online.  Taking his sweet time at Starbucks while people were outside his office, protesting the loss of millions of dollars).  
I dont know if that is arrogance, sociopath behavior or what, but his issues will be made clear soon.

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2014/03/bitcoin-exchange/

His propensity for bragging and arrogance (as per the wired article at least), wanting to be called "King of Bitcoin" and bragging about his Mensa membership says a lot.
The fact that such an individual helped found the first centralized ego foundation for Bitcoin with 5,000 of his own coins, lends more credibility to the attitude behind the creation of the organization.

Keep the focus on the fact that Bitcoin doesn't need, and shouldn't have a Foundation.  
I realize this flies in the face of everything we understand about worldwide financial systems, but the internet never needed a Foundation.

And lets acknowledge that the Foundation has done some good things to help stave-off regulators for awhile, giving the platform some time to take hold around the world.
But there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that an organization like this should slowly be dissolved, else it will grow into something completely contrary to what Bitcoin represents, eventually.

-B-

A personal lack of belief doesn't make a thing false.

Funding a board of illicit actors does not make one credible.

r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 03:51:46 PM
Last edit: March 04, 2014, 01:03:20 PM by BadBear

It violates the prime directive: thou shalt not centralize a decentralized currency, it was formed without a discussion first, it's initial leadership was not representative of the community but representative of business instead

Problems posed by this idea:

1)  What happens if you attack TBF and Gavin gets mad and goes and becomes an amateur golfer instead.  Bitcoin still needs more hard forks before it's ready to run unattended for years/decades, and there's not many people who can easily create this consensus in a timely manner.  Even if you don't like TBF, it will probably do more harm than good attacking them, at least until every big fork is in the past.  Standard game theory, you're committing suicide to try and make a point for no gain.

2)  You can simply not donate if you don't want to, then you don't lose anything.

3)  If you plan to attack TBF, can you pick a less retarded date than the same week of MtGox.

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 03:52:22 PM

A personal lack of belief doesn't make a thing false.

The statement was that they are *known scammers* and money launderers.  
That statement is false, at the very least because all the information isn't out yet, on either of them.
Karpeles situation indicates irresponsibility, arrogance, and possible sociopathy thus far.
Shrem situation reeks of a witch hunt by law enforcement, and I see zero indication of intent to break the law or defraud anyone.

What happens if you attack TBF and Gavin gets mad and goes and becomes an amateur golfer instead

Good point.  Gavin has expressed a strong desire to fully decentralize the development team, and said he is working with developers in other countries to try and get that going.  But right now, it would be a disaster if he walked away.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
Distortion1919

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 03:58:07 PM

I gotta take a shit  Cheesy
pizzaboy69696969

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 03:59:17 PM

Yeesh.  That's just what what Bitcoin needs - more bad press!
MPOE-PR (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 04:00:36 PM

Yeah, what a scam to take peoples membership money and use it to organize conferences, lobby regulators, provide a resource for business and the press, to provide a space to coordinate the volunteer efforts of dozens of people who actually do something. Wow such scam!

Dream on.

PS. Do you use Axe? I feel inexplicably very attracted to you on a sexual level. It must be the advertisements didn't lie.

Bitcoin still needs more hard forks

No,  it does not. Nobody of any consequence runs anything past maybe 0.6 or so anyway. Just because a bunch of noobs with a bunch of dust downloaded the most recent release doesn't give it any sort of Bitcoin legitimacy. Currently the latest iOS and the latest bitcoin-qt are about equally relevant to Bitcoin,  which is roughly epsilon.

Nice work on the rest of your bullshit. They aren't points; they roughly reduce to "Pirate was fine and if you don't like ponzis you can just not participate". This was thoroughly debunked two years ago. Read that once a day for the next six months, maybe you get it somehow. In any case shut the fuck up for the interval, you don't have anything to contribute here.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
JohnnyBTCSeed

Activity: 882

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 04:26:00 PM

hmmm,

So if one doesn't want to drink their koolaid then what are the alternatives?

1. Use/promote an altcoin. Nxt? Etherium? or 1000 other alts?

2. Create a non bitcoin foundation client and convince the majority of miners to accept. (take back bitcoin movement)

Can bitcoin be saved? or has the brand bitcoin been forever tainted and coerced? Has Gavin accepted the decentralized bitcoin jesus spirit into his heart?

I think personally that the wink twins are right about the $400 billion ish crypto market cap but I'm feeling that that number will be a total of all of the different crypto coins. One of them will eventually overtake bitcoin by offering such revolutionary ideas as decentralized, no transaction fees, and gasp, anonymousness.
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 04:33:35 PM

I hate the foundation... Its filled with early adopter scamers who I'm sure will end up in jail at some point or another like Charlie did.

I bet some of the founding members were even on SR and we know that investigation will be ongoing for years to come.

We need new money investors on the foundation.

Circle, Winklevos ect....

MPOE-PR (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 04:34:09 PM

hmmm,

So if one doesn't want to drink their koolaid then what are the alternatives?

1. Use/promote an altcoin. Nxt? Etherium? or 1000 other alts?

2. Create a non bitcoin foundation client and convince the majority of miners to accept. (take back bitcoin movement)

Can bitcoin be saved? or has the brand bitcoin been forever tainted and coerced? Has Gavin accepted the decentralized bitcoin jesus spirit into his heart?

I think personally that the wink twins are right about the $400 billion ish crypto market cap but I'm feeling that that number will be a total of all of the different crypto coins. One of them will eventually overtake bitcoin by offering such revolutionary ideas as decentralized, no transaction fees, and gasp, anonymousness.

The relation between the Bitcoin scamfoundation and Bitcoin is roughly the relation between the Westboro Baptist Church and email.

Bitcoin is and will continue to be fine. Alt coins are and will remain a play thing. These are decided by the people who matter, and the people who matter aren't either the derps vying for the spotlight "doing" altcoins nor the derps vying for the spotlight "doing" foundations, conferences, articles and assorted bullshit. Get your hierarchy straight.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
gollum

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 04:39:53 PM

Alt coins are and will remain a play thing. These are decided by the people who matter, and the people who matter aren't either the derps vying for the spotlight "doing" altcoins nor the derps vying for the spotlight "doing" foundations, conferences, articles and assorted bullshit.
I think you underestimate the alt-coins. If most people got burnt on MtGox they don't mind switch over to an alt-coin, they got nothing to lose.

Ripple is the best alt-coin right now since it's based on other assets than itself (the users add the intrinsic value).
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: