Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 03:29:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should we start New Bitcoin?  (Read 4425 times)
gollum (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 04:53:02 PM

The reason for starting a new bitcoin is simple:
We can assume that 50% of all bitcoins mined are either held by wrong persons, or are lost.
A lot of people are burned by the MtGox theft, therefore they have nothing to lose on switching to a new coin.

If we start to use a new coin the miners can use their hardware to switch over as well, and effectively abandoning Old Bitcoin.
The value of Old Bitcoin will drop to zero which will punish preminers, thieves and FBI.

Bitcoin holders that will be punished most:
FBI: 10%
Satoshi: 10%
Thieves (from MtGox and other sites): 20%
Lost coins: 10%
Total = 50%

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mcleo

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 04:56:10 PM

New Bitcoins are started every day.
Can we create a new, successful, Bitcoin... only if the majority agree with your beliefs. Wink
gollum (OP)

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 04:58:33 PM

Can we create a new, successful, Bitcoin... only if the majority agree with your beliefs. Wink
My argument for a new bitcoin is simple: Most people has lost bitcoin due theft or data loss, or missed the boat.
So most coins in circulation are held by thieves, oligarchs and .gov.
Therefore we don't have anything to lose by voting with our feet and go over to a new coin.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:00:10 PM

the problem is not the number of bitcoin ... but his value on real market.
hostmaster

Activity: 266

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 05:00:17 PM

we need new hopes yes...
BitcoinQTlol

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:01:49 PM

I bought a new car earlier in the year, gonna make the car salesman pay and create a new US Dollar!!!
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:03:43 PM

I'm sure all of those coins could be coded out of circulation, but the point of bitcoin is this exact thing. Non reversible there are many red flags, and warning signs everywhere about bitcoin safety, and infancy.
gollum (OP)

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:05:17 PM

I'm sure all of those coins could be coded out of circulation, but the point of bitcoin is this exact thing. Non reversible there are many red flags, and warning signs everywhere about bitcoin safety, and infancy.
We don't need to change the rules and ban the stolen coins. We can simply forget Old Bitcoin and start New Bitcoin, with exactly the same rules, mining hardware and same infrastructure.
If more than 51% of the current bitcoin users do that, the Old Bitcoin will simply fade away...
grifferz

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:07:29 PM

Therefore we don't have anything to lose by voting with our feet and go over to a new coin.
Go ahead, nothing is stopping you. When will you be removing the "BitCoin" address from your signature and replacing it with a GollumCoin address?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:07:43 PM

We don't need to change the rules and ban the stolen coins. We can simply forget Old Bitcoin and start New Bitcoin, with exactly the same rules, mining hardware and same infrastructure.
If more than 51% of the current bitcoin users do that, the Old Bitcoin will simply fade away...

It has already been done multiple times both exact copies of Bitcoin and modified version (commonly called altcoins).  You are free to do it again at anytime but people are also free to ignore such attempts.

So let me know when you launch "newBitcoin".
rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 05:09:09 PM

My argument for a new bitcoin is simple: Most people has lost bitcoin due theft or data loss, or missed the boat.
I'm sure you are not holding  much bitcoins..!
You mentioned most of coins in circulation are held by thieves, oligarchs and .gov. I agree with you to some extent but not all bitcoins are held by them.. not everyone lost there all bitcoins in mt-gox..! many of us were smart enough to know that how vulnerable  it can be  having bitcoins in an online exchange. so You got a thought but i don't think it has much substance in it..! You forgot about all the members who are still holding their  BTC's and are very optimistic about it
Ohh btw there are altcoins launching every day... why don't try those may be someone will take place of BTC on day..!  

gollum (OP)

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:11:33 PM

You mentioned most of coins in circulation are held by thieves, oligarchs and .gov. I agree with you to some extent but not all bitcoins are held by them.. not everyone lost there all bitcoins in mt-gox..! many of us were smart enough to know that how vulnerable  it can be  having bitcoins in an online exchange. so You got a thought but i don't think it has much substance in it..! You forgot about all the members who are still holding there BTC's and are very optimistic about it
Ohh btw there are altcoins launching every day... why don't try those may be someone will take place of BTC on day..!  
Yes of course, hoarders like you will not leave the ship, only rats like me and other poor fellows Wink
rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 05:14:07 PM

You mentioned most of coins in circulation are held by thieves, oligarchs and .gov. I agree with you to some extent but not all bitcoins are held by them.. not everyone lost there all bitcoins in mt-gox..! many of us were smart enough to know that how vulnerable  it can be  having bitcoins in an online exchange. so You got a thought but i don't think it has much substance in it..! You forgot about all the members who are still holding there BTC's and are very optimistic about it
Yes of course, hoarders like you will not leave the ship, only rats like me and other poor fellows Wink
BTW i'm not holding anything :p but can understand the pain of holders , I mean com'on man they deserve some reward for surviving and suffering daily heart attacks..! Up and Down , Rise And Fall...

msc

Activity: 282

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:17:02 PM

If we start to use a new coin the miners can use their hardware to switch over as well, and effectively abandoning Old Bitcoin.
The value of Old Bitcoin will drop to zero which will punish preminers, thieves and FBI.
No, it would punish everyone equally.  
mcleo

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:17:09 PM

You will never remove theft from one currency.
Where there is currency, there will always be theft.
gollum (OP)

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:17:37 PM

BTW i'm not holding anything :p but can understand the pain of holders , I mean com'on man they deserve some reward for surviving and suffering daily heart attacks..! Up and Down , Rise And Fall...
I just say what poor fellows can do: either give up on crypto currencies completely, or jump on a new bitcoin-clone.
IMO ripple got the best prospects to replace old bitcoin, IF they make it 100% open source.
Joshuar

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:18:23 PM

I'm totally on board with a New Bitcoin. Old Bitcoin is too corrupted.

In case you're also tired of the current Bitcoin we have, then send me your Bitcoin to this address:  1MYpNKj25HRBFpv22YpuZsuz2zZHKBLUur

I'll collect all the Bitcoin and change the password to my wallet to a random set of numbers while being blindfolded, thereby losing all current Bitcoin forever.

Send to here: 1MYpNKj25HRBFpv22YpuZsuz2zZHKBLUur

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
gollum (OP)

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:18:43 PM

You will never remove theft from one currency.
Where there is currency, there will always be theft.
In fiat currencies inflation will inflate away the injustice, but in bitcoin the deflation does the exact opposite, rewards the thieves.
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:19:07 PM

A concerted effort into forking the network because some people feel the past has been too "unjust" for their liking would be detrimental to the value of both the 'new' Bitcoin and the 'old'.

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 05:22:32 PM

A new Bitcoin was started a long time ago: Terracoin. It is an exact duplicate of Bitcoin, except for the name. Where have you been? And if you want to improve on Bitcoin, you already have hundreds to choose from. May I suggest Dogecoin?

This. OP stop talking nonsense. This was tried before, this didn't result in anything.
Who can guarantee that the same won't eventually happen with the coins of Bitcoin 2.0? No-one.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: