Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:01:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Proof of Stake Investment - HBN/PHS/TEK/CAP and more  (Read 15442 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 07:21:53 AM

It is quite impossible to buy-in with most of those PoS coins because the volumes are very low at low prices. I might wait for some big movements before I coin in, also I need to be sure that the inflation is handled properly.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
StakeHunter (OP)

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 03:14:35 PM

It is quite impossible to buy-in with most of those PoS coins because the volumes are very low at low prices. I might wait for some big movements before I coin in, also I need to be sure that the inflation is handled properly.

RE inflation: All of these coins have a total coin cap - so they are just like BTC in that manner. However, where it comes to the ROI % - if you read the first post about novacoin and its model - which is used by NVC, HBN, and TEK you can see that the % will vary based upon stake difficulty which takes into account the number of coins on the market. They all start at their max ROI, but fall off to a minimum of 1% based upon the coins in the market. Thus, I believe they have inflation well under control. NVC for example started out at 100% but it is currently ~40%.

And about volume...Miners are willing to put in effort to mine coins, we need to do the same from an investment point of view. If we think it is worth it we have to be willing to buy and maybe pump the price a little bit. That is how a currency grows. I bet I and a handful of other investors have brought HBN, TEK and probably even PHS up to the levels they are at.

As I said in previous posts: if we want value - we have to make the volume. We have to be willing to buy AND SELL the coins. We can't just hoard them.

That is why I make the following StakeHunter pledge:
I will sell 25% of my stake every month.

10% goes to the Lord and the rest will go to BTC for liquidity and for buying power.
username here

Activity: 182

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 03:42:18 PM

Might want to add Zeitcoin, its very similar to mintcoin and still on week 1 of mining.

I was just going to say this. Zeit is super cheap right now.

StakeHunter (OP)

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 04:39:53 PM

Might want to add Zeitcoin, its very similar to mintcoin and still on week 1 of mining.

I was just going to say this. Zeit is super cheap right now.

That's its problem - it is a copy and paste of mint. And mint is a copy paste of DOGE.  I am not interested in the day trading game. I know I should pump some BTC into zeit, watch it climb to 25 - 45 satoshi and then dump it like everyone else. That'd get me 10X which would be something.  

But these coins are a game to most. A very rough game to make money where people have to lose money. That is what many don't think about. So I sell at 25 satoshi - some crazy person had to buy it. And when the bottom falls out they're holding the bag. Love my neighbor more than myself. I don't want to be a bag holder, so I don't want to do it to others.

I want to lift a community up, not make a quick BTC. The coins I want are not meant to be a flash in the pan. 20% is not appealing. 25% is not appealing. My plan is long term investment with stable coins.    
StakeHunter (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:08:16 PM

Let me introduce you to my core stake portfolio. From the above list I have selected 4, and 4 only that I consider a core.

My criteria:
Market Cap
Stake Return
Dev team
Community

My 4 core coins are:
Hobonickels [HBN], Philsopherstone [PHS], Novacoin [NVC], and Tekcoin [TEK]

I believe any stake investor should hold these 4 coins.

Now, the ratio in which you hold them is determined by how much risk you are willing to take. It is the old risk vs. reward profile. A portfolio heavy in TEK and HBN will yield a lot more, but it will have to deal with a lot of price fluctuation and low liquidity. A NVC heavy portfolio will be stable in price and you'll have liquid assets, but your return will be lower.
BTCat
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:51:54 PM

Don't forget CGB, a child of Novacoin but further developed upon.
StakeHunter (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 10:58:39 PM

Don't forget CGB, a child of Novacoin but further developed upon.

CGB is a gimmick coin. CGB's stake is 1% annual and it is driven by price fluctuation. A stake investor will never recoup any loss seen to price drop.

DO NOT invest in CGB for stake.
rikkejohn

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 11:35:12 PM

In a market completely saturated by shite, getting a dividend is not a reason to invest. Fair enough, some coins you mention are okay but I'd take my chances and just invest in BTC. I reckon my holdings (against USD) in 5 years compared to yours will be better (assuming we are not playing trade games).

1PkwpyTLo5TfagzCPgjdvQFNVzuEyHViGt
StakeHunter (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 11:47:49 PM

In a market completely saturated by shite, getting a dividend is not a reason to invest. Fair enough, some coins you mention are okay but I'd take my chances and just invest in BTC. I reckon my holdings (against USD) in 5 years compared to yours will be better (assuming we are not playing trade games).

You've got a good point. The market is ugly. And I'd contend just looking for capitol growth closes the door on other income opportunities. That's why I invest in dividend stocks - capitol plus dividend.   

I don't play trading game - I just invest money. And why I recommend to take profits. That is very important. I also invest in BTC stocks. Plus, I am putting money into BTC - not all my eggs in one basket.

It all depends upon adoption and awareness. But that's why I don't invest cautiously and do my homework.
StakeHunter (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 01:55:41 PM

Main post updated with 2 possible stake portfolios...

StakeHunter Portfolios
I offer two possible portfolios for those beginning to dabble in stake. If you only had 1 BTC and wanted to "invest" in coins that provide stake, the following two portfolios would let you do so. One is High Yield and you risk capitol and return fluctuation do to coin price. The other is more conservative and it will be more price stable but the yield will be smaller.

StakeHunter Conservative Portfolio - 1BTC/80% yearly/6.7% monthly
Hobonickels - HBN - 0.25 BTC - 0.0148 BTC monthly stake
Novacoin - NVC - 0.5 BTC - 0.0188 BTC monthly stake
Philosopherstone - PHS - 0.1 BTC - 0.0042 BTC monthly stake
Tekcoin - TEK - 0.1 BTC - 0.0289 BTC monthly stake
Other - 0.05 BTC

StakeHunter High Yield Portfolio - 1BTC/131% yearly/11% monthly
Hobonickels - HBN - 0.5 BTC - 0.0296 BTC monthly stake
Novacoin - NVC - 0.1 BTC - 0.0038 BTC monthly stake
Philosopherstone - PHS - 0.1 BTC - 0.0042 BTC monthly stake
Tekcoin - TEK - 0.25 BTC - 0.0722 BTC monthly stake
Other - 0.05 BTC

As you can see, two separate ways to invest can yield two vary different returns. But these are the only ways 1BTC can be split. It all depends upon how much risk you want to assume. And what about the 0.05 BTC Other - that is for new coins and opportunities - for example Growthcoin or Fluttercoin. 
rikkejohn

Activity: 644

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 02:03:53 PM

I don't understand why a coin called "HoboNickels" would be a good investment.

The name originally was targeted at itinerant workers but it has since become used to target the homeless (many of whom have mental health issues).

The name is kind of offensive really, so not the best grounding for a future.

Plus, the name effectively says the value is next to nothing anyway.

1PkwpyTLo5TfagzCPgjdvQFNVzuEyHViGt
hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 02:30:18 PM

Are your calculations assuming that we aren't reinvesting stake?
StakeHunter (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 02:31:48 PM

The name originally was targeted at itinerant workers but it has since become used to target the homeless (many of whom have mental health issues).

Every name has a meaning. Hobonickel is not menat to be an offensive term, but an homage. Doing a simple google search...

The hobo nickel is a sculptural art form involving the creative modification of small-denomination coins, essentially resulting in miniature bas reliefs. The US nickel coin was favored because of its size, thickness and relative softness. However, the term hobo nickel is generic, as carvings have been made from many different denominations.

Due to its low cost and portability, this medium was particularly popular among hobos, hence the name.

HoboNickel Society - http://www.hobonickels.org/

Nullu

Activity: 532

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 02:31:51 PM

You should also take a look at EBT if you haven't already. Could be a very good investment.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
StakeHunter (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 02:33:26 PM

That is correct. This is not assuming reinvestment/compounding.
doulos

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 02:35:41 PM

Research hobo nickels as a sculptural art form and the history behind it and you may come to a different conclusion.
StakeHunter (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 02:38:18 PM

You should also take a look at EBT if you haven't already. Could be a very good investment.

EBT is NOT a good stake opportunity.

Its stake is only 5%. It fails all of my qualifications. No one placing their BTC will EVER recover their value from stake. All it takes is one fall... Make the stake 100% yearly NVC and then maybe we'll talk.  
hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 02:44:37 PM

That is correct. This is not assuming reinvestment/compounding.
Thanks for the clarification. I assumed that was the case after reading your rule #6, but I just wanted to be sure. Converting obtained stake (I guess it's okay calling them dividends, hehe) with each month into BTC would give this effect.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but with PoS, I don't recall it being a hard rule that you'll generate stake in a given time frame, just that your chances of generating a PoS block even out to what the coded return rate is throughout the given time frame. What are your thoughts on reconciling returns if it takes longer than usual?
fiddelingones

Activity: 127

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 02:57:45 PM

What if I cant have the wallet running 24/7, how much inpact if I open the wallet lets say for 3 hours once every week ?

StakeHunter (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:00:10 PM

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but with PoS, I don't recall it being a hard rule that you'll generate stake in a given time frame, just that your chances of generating a PoS block even out to what the coded return rate is throughout the given time frame. What are your thoughts on reconciling returns if it takes longer than usual?

You are right, there is no guarantee that stake will happen at minimum stake age. From my experience HBN, PHS & TEK will stake around their min stake - as long as your coins are in bundles bigger than ~100 coins. You have to keep track through coin control. TEK does not have coin control, but I've PMed the dev. Coins in larger bundles insure higher probability of stake.

There is no guarantee for NVC however. Again you need to have coin bundles greater than 100 coins, and that is difficult given the price. So NVC will take longer.

However, the percentage is a yearly percentage that is applied at the time of stake. Thus if coins take longer to stake, the percentage that you get will be greater. IF your NVC takes 3 months, when it does stake you will get 3X the monthly percentage.  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: