Print  
Author Topic: 9-9-9  (Read 4615 times)
NghtRppr (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2011, 03:07:14 AM

So, I pay 9% of $300,000+ a year and you pay 9% of whatever McDonald's is paying these days?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 03:16:33 AM

bitcoin2cash: Propose an alternative.

(BFL)^2 < 0
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5152
Merit: 12580

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 03:22:04 AM

And then you have to pay 9% again when you actually use your earned money. And prices will be higher due to increased production costs.

My dad supported Cain until I told him that 9-9-9 included a 9% sales tax.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1135

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2011, 03:29:57 AM

I like the way one of his competing candidates put it: when you turn this 9-9-9 plan upside down, the devil's in the details.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
evolve

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 03:30:13 AM

So, I pay 9% of $300,000+ a year and you pay 9% of whatever McDonald's is paying these days?

if you make 6 figures, 9% of your income has way less of an impact on your life than 9% from someone struggling to make ends meet on minimum wage. flat tax overwhelmingly favors the wealthy.

personally, im happy with a progressive tax system like we have now (only i would raise them back to clinton era levels).

not gonna be a popular opinion on this board, but there it is.

Vanderbleek

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 04:53:42 AM

I've always been...baffled by why deductions exist. They seem like a blatant opening to game the system...they would be first on my list of things to go. Course as far as I'm concerned taxes should die in a fire, but I realize that's not going to happen.

Realistically I'd be pretty happy with pretty progressive income tax, no capital gains, state-set flat sales tax, and a "choose which science projects to fund" checklist.
NghtRppr (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2011, 12:36:16 PM

No taxes. Pay for what you use. Privatize everything.

if you make 6 figures, 9% of your income has way less of an impact on your life than 9% from someone struggling to make ends meet on minimum wage

What you mean to say is that you feel less guilty stealing 9% of someone's money if they have a lot of it.
EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 12:57:52 PM

And then you have to pay 9% again when you actually use your earned money. And prices will be higher due to increased production costs.

I find VAT and sale taxes "less evil" in their economic consequences than income taxes.
Coinabul

Activity: 588

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2011, 01:00:17 PM

I find VAT and sale taxes "less evil" in their economic consequences than income taxes.

Sometimes they promise to remove income tax when they bring in a VAT. The really evil part is when they don't and you are left paying income tax and VAT together.

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 01:10:21 PM

No taxes. Pay for what you use. Privatize everything.

...snip...
Didn't we cover that in the fire-fighter thread and agree that some things, for example fire cover, work best if everyone contributes?

EDIT:
personally, I would have allowed the guy to promise to make the $2,000 payment if he really wanted it put out...but a fire company can let a house burn...

One problem with that is that if you do that then it might be the case that nobody will pay until their house is on fire and there won't be any money to maintain the service. It's kind of like the problem with health insurance. If you allow people with pre-existing conditions to join then nobody will join until they are sick.

I.Goldstein

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 02:08:05 PM

The bankers get a far larger share with a VAT implemented and the economics effects are disastrous. I preferred the poor paying no taxes at all. Now they get to suffer and go further into debt. It's depressing.
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 02:12:50 PM

The bankers get a far larger share with a VAT implemented and the economics effects are disastrous. I preferred the poor paying no taxes at all. Now they get to suffer and go further into debt. It's depressing.

The economic affects are not disasterous - the US is unusual in not having a VAT and its hard to argue that the US is better off as a result.  The transfer of the tax burden onto the poor is a fair point though.  In England, the combination of taxes on petrol, drink and tobacco with VAT means that the very poor have the highest effective tax rates.
I.Goldstein

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 02:24:49 PM

The economic affects are not disasterous - the US is unusual in not having a VAT and its hard to argue that the US is better off as a result.  The transfer of the tax burden onto the poor is a fair point though.  In England, the combination of taxes on petrol, drink and tobacco with VAT means that the very poor have the highest effective tax rates.
I would be happy with them regulating and taxing the middle-class and above with no inhibition as along as they left the little guy alone. The freedom of the proletarian is all that's left in this society. To be free to be self-sufficient with minimal means is a right that should still be enjoyed. It's something I would like to enjoy in bad circumstances...
evolve

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 02:51:47 PM

What you mean to say is that you feel less guilty stealing 9% of someone's money if they have a lot of it.

no. no i don't. taxes aren't stealing.

Explodicle

Activity: 950

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 02:59:29 PM

When a poor man invests in a bicycle to increase his wealth, he's taxed regardless of outcome. When a rich man invests in stocks, he's only taxed if he profits.
FredericBastiat

Activity: 420

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 03:04:07 PM

How is stealing "less evil" than stealing?

http://payb.tc/evo or
1F7venVKJa5CLw6qehjARkXBS55DU5YT59
FredericBastiat

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 03:07:10 PM

I would be happy with them regulating and taxing the middle-class and above with no inhibition as along as they left the little guy alone. The freedom of the proletarian is all that's left in this society. To be free to be self-sufficient with minimal means is a right that should still be enjoyed. It's something I would like to enjoy in bad circumstances...

Wouldn't it just be better if the government left everybody alone?

helloworld

Activity: 266

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 03:10:01 PM

When a poor man invests in a bicycle to increase his wealth, he's taxed regardless of outcome. When a rich man invests in stocks, he's only taxed if he profits.

But when a rich man invests in a really expensive bicycle, he's taxed regardless. And when a poor man invests $12.62 in penny stocks, he's only taxed if he profits.
FredericBastiat

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 03:13:25 PM

Despite whatever privilege you think your government has, if someone (regardless of their title) comes to you and demands that you relinquish your property to them when they have no contract with you to do so, is coercion and plunder. Look thru the veil of obfuscation for a moment and step back and take a bird's-eye view of it. Now imagine you and two other people in the room with you. They could form a government. Why on earth should they ever have any greater permission to relieve you of your property than anybody else in the room?

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 03:19:08 PM

Despite whatever privilege you think your government has, if someone (regardless of their title) comes to you and demands that you relinquish your property to them when they have no contract with you to do so, is coercion and plunder. Look thru the veil of obfuscation for a moment and step back and take a bird's-eye view of it. Now imagine you and two other people in the room with you. They could form a government. Why on earth should they ever have any greater permission to relieve you of your property than anybody else in the room?

Welcome back Fred.  Still not worked out the whole society concept I see.  Just to remind you, people do get together and act for their common good.  The action requires money.  Taxation is the mechanism used to pay for it.  You continue to make the confusion that if you think the spending is wrong, then the tax must be wrong too. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: