Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:10:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Unable to use the seed from a wallet file to make any transaction  (Read 305 times)
Hexcolyte (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 01, 2018, 01:59:26 PM
Last edit: September 01, 2018, 04:04:20 PM by Hexcolyte

Full story here: https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/78813/same-seed-from-electrum-but-generate-different-bitcoin-addresses

TL;DR:

Somehow the private keys and addresses in a Electrum wallet file which I generated using Electrum 3.1.3 Portable version do not match. Whenever I am trying to create a transaction, there is an error indicating that I don't have the relevant private key to sign it.

The wallet file is functioning very well, I can export seed, private keys and adjust gap limit, I can view a list of all available Bitcoin addresses, I can decrypt the wallet file with my password, but I cannot make transaction.

Also, when I import the seed exported from that wallet file to another new wallet, it shows an entirely different list of Bitcoin addresses, and every private keys exported do not match the address as shown.

I can sign the address, but I cannot verify the address with the same Electrum client and same wallet file.

Both master public key exported from seed and wallet file are same.

Being infected is one of the possibilities, but as mention in the post, it is highly unlikely, it might be a bug in the Electrum client.

Hope someone here has experienced the issue and able to solve it.

Thank you.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
September 01, 2018, 02:05:23 PM

Have you checked the signature of the file you downloaded?

If you can sign the address then you will be able to export the private keys.
Try updating to that latest version and try it too and see if that fixes the issue in any way or whether it still causes the issue...

Make a backup of the wallet file that stores the actual private keys (is the balance listed correctly on the electrum client also)?
Hexcolyte (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2018, 02:31:28 PM

Yes I have validated the signature.

Yes, I can sign and export, but when I reimport the keys to a new wallet, it gives me a different address, also tried that on bitaddress.org

Try updating to that latest version and try it too and see if that fixes the issue in any way or whether it still causes the issue...

Tried the 3.2.2 version, and also 2.8 just in case.

Make a backup of the wallet file that stores the actual private keys (is the balance listed correctly on the electrum client also)?

Made several backup of the files already. The balance listed correctly on the client, I can see the balance and the transaction history.

Thanks for your reply.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
September 01, 2018, 03:14:34 PM

I told you to create one post on a community forum and you went and created 3. 2 here and one on reddit. You know the same people frequent all community sites? Making multiple posts doesn't help anyone.

Abdussamad
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2018, 03:18:58 PM

You validated the pgp signature when you originally downloaded electrum and created that wallet? I mean 3.1.3? Do you remember doing that?
LoyceMobile

Activity: 1656
Merit: 687

LoyceV on the road. Or couch.

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2018, 03:20:25 PM

Does https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3383265.0 help for importing private keys?

LoyceV on the road Advertise here for LN Don't deal with this account (exception)
Advertise here for LN Tip my kids Exchange LN (20 coins). 1% fee. No KYC <€50/month
My useful topics: Meritt & Trust & Moreee Art Advertise here for LN Foru[url=https://bitcointalk.org/m
Abdussamad
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2018, 03:26:43 PM

edit: nvm. i forgot you get the same master public key on both original and restored wallets. might want to add that to the OP. also add the fact that the addresses are p2pkh (1 addresses).
Abdussamad
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2018, 03:28:00 PM

Does https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3383265.0 help for importing private keys?

When you export a private key with electrum it'll automatically add the correct script type prefix. Since he's exporting from electrum and importing with electrum he doesn't have to modify the private key in anyway.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2018, 03:33:19 PM

Then the keys are at least somewhere in the wallet file... Providing you did definitely verify the signature the wallet was installed iwth.

Yes, I can sign and export, but when I reimport the keys to a new wallet, it gives me a different address, also tried that on bitaddress.org
Tried what on bitaddress.org, I hope it was offline?

Tried the 3.2.2 version, and also 2.8 just in case.

Made several backup of the files already. The balance listed correctly on the client, I can see the balance and the transaction history.

Thanks for your reply.

What is the balance if you don't mind sharing it?

Could you send me one of the signed messages to check it definitely signs from the right addresses (you can do that via pm)?
Hexcolyte (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2018, 03:58:01 PM
Last edit: September 01, 2018, 04:27:14 PM by Hexcolyte

I told you to create one post on a community forum and you went and created 3. 2 here and one on reddit. You know the same people frequent all community sites? Making multiple posts doesn't help anyone.

I have never created any post on Reddit... Bitcointalk forum is the second community sites I have posted, after StackExchange.

You validated the pgp signature when you originally downloaded electrum and created that wallet? I mean 3.1.3? Do you remember doing that?

I remember using the exact electrum exe file because that file is the only one exist on my computer, and I have created the wallet around May, which isn't that long ago. I have validated the file today.

Then the keys are at least somewhere in the wallet file... Providing you did definitely verify the signature the wallet was installed iwth.

That is the weird part, I am sure that I have made enough research before downloading the Electrum, and validated the signature today, nothing seems off. Note that I am using portable version so it might not be as safe as normal installer.

Tried what on bitaddress.org, I hope it was offline?

Try if the private key match the address with balance, but bitaddress.org told me I am wrong. And yes I downloaded the html and do things offline.

Not much, but still an important fund for me.

Could you send me one of the signed messages to check it definitely signs from the right addresses (you can do that via pm)?

I will send one for you, but I have checked several times and conclude that the private keys simply are wrong.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2018, 04:16:06 PM

That is the weird part, I am sure that I have made enough research before downloading the Electrum, and validated the signature today, nothing seems off. Note that I am using portable version so it might not be as safe as normal installer.
The portable version is safe, I use it because I'm lazy.
You just have to stick to using trusted machines with it otherwise that's where the vulnerability appears.

Not much, but still an important fund for me.

I will send one for you, but I have checked several times and conclude that the private keys simply are wrong.

Yes the private keys are definitely wrong.
Without being able to see the wallet file I don't think I can do anything and I don't think it's a good idea for me to get that just in case you have a virus and the virus sends some of the coins to me to make it look like I stole them for example...

Have you encrypted the whole wallet file or added a password to the wallet? If not, then open up the wallet file (it'll probably be in the directory where you launch electrum from in a folder called "electrum_data"). If unencypted it'll list the transactions, addresses and private keys...
Hexcolyte (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2018, 04:24:38 PM

Yes the private keys are definitely wrong.
Without being able to see the wallet file I don't think I can do anything and I don't think it's a good idea for me to get that just in case you have a virus and the virus sends some of the coins to me to make it look like I stole them for example...

If I am sending you a wallet file and left it unencrypted that means my private key is also at risk, so I am not going to do that. But even the file is encrypted, you can still get some idea from it? Also there is no point in giving you free money just to damage your reputation.

Have you encrypted the whole wallet file or added a password to the wallet? If not, then open up the wallet file (it'll probably be in the directory where you launch electrum from in a folder called "electrum_data"). If unencypted it'll list the transactions, addresses and private keys...

I always encrypt the wallet file. I have just created a new wallet with the same seed and leave it unencrypted to check the wallet data, as expected, even after adjusting to 10k addresses limit, none of it has balance in it.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2018, 04:39:45 PM

If I am sending you a wallet file and left it unencrypted that means my private key is also at risk, so I am not going to do that. But even the file is encrypted, you can still get some idea from it? Also there is no point in giving you free money just to damage your reputation.

Nah. You wouldn't send it decrypted, I'd get you to decrypt it and then use the encrypt function in your electrum wallet to encrypt the wallet with my bitcoin address assymetrically (then I can use my private key to decrypt it)...

The second bit was my point entirely. If I get access to your wallet, then I can not be held liable to anything that happens to the coins once it is transmitted just in case a hacker does get hold of the stuff from your computer.

If you can assymetrically encrypt a decrypted version of the wallet file with bc1qdj5v2q8p398rdy6sexc0fapk4hcq0p54xz56ez or 1JRmjyGo3kpdXcQeAeTBmGtgkC1AomHKED then I can take a look at it but make sure you can't decrypt it with the same private key.

If instead you want to decrypt the main wallet file but keep the private keys encrypted (which is honestly what I'd suggest) then still encrypt the wallet file with one of those public keys/addresses...

(the encrypt function is just below the sign function under tools)

Once the wallet file is decrypted, even if the private keys are encrypted, the file should have plain english in it with {} separating individual parts (as far as I can remember).
Hexcolyte (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2018, 04:51:17 PM

Nah. You wouldn't send it decrypted, I'd get you to decrypt it and then use the encrypt function in your electrum wallet to encrypt the wallet with my bitcoin address assymetrically (then I can use my private key to decrypt it)...

The second bit was my point entirely. If I get access to your wallet, then I can not be held liable to anything that happens to the coins once it is transmitted just in case a hacker does get hold of the stuff from your computer.

If you can assymetrically encrypt a decrypted version of the wallet file with bc1qdj5v2q8p398rdy6sexc0fapk4hcq0p54xz56ez or 1JRmjyGo3kpdXcQeAeTBmGtgkC1AomHKED then I can take a look at it but make sure you can't decrypt it with the same private key.

If instead you want to decrypt the main wallet file but keep the private keys encrypted (which is honestly what I'd suggest) then still encrypt the wallet file with one of those public keys/addresses...

(the encrypt function is just below the sign function under tools)

Once the wallet file is decrypted, even if the private keys are encrypted, the file should have plain english in it with {} separating individual parts (as far as I can remember).

Not sure what can you see in a decrypted wallet file, for me it is just a bunch of Bitcoin addresses and some keys. If this works, I can simply send you the texts, then only remove the important private key out of the text, no need of encryption.
I am not a pro in this area so forgive me for my ignorance.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2018, 04:59:54 PM

Not sure what can you see in a decrypted wallet file, for me it is just a bunch of Bitcoin addresses and some keys. If this works, I can simply send you the texts, then only remove the important private key out of the text, no need of encryption.

Yes you can do that if you want, but then I'm probably quite limited in what I can help with...
Hexcolyte (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2018, 05:05:59 PM

Yes you can do that if you want, but then I'm probably quite limited in what I can help with...

Do you have any idea what might be happening from the look of it? I am considering two possibilities:

• Someone somehow was able to put malware on my one month old computer, and somehow intervened the wallet creation process and modified the wallet before I encrypt it.
  • Electrum has bug.

I will be off for the next few hours, and I appreciate all of your inputs.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2018, 05:52:31 PM

• Someone somehow was able to put malware on my one month old computer, and somehow intervened the wallet creation process and modified the wallet before I encrypt it.
  • Electrum has bug.

Maybe the seller put something on it?
Was the computer on offer from a corner shop somewhere that sells computers and electronics...
The bug thing is potentiallly likely.

I just had an idea, can you try going to the concole and type "getmasterprivate" and try importing that into a new electrum wallet. .
Abdussamad
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2018, 12:14:36 AM

I have never created any post on Reddit... Bitcointalk forum is the second community sites I have posted, after StackExchange.

Here's the thread you created there. You've since deleted the contents.

Re your electrum problem then it's likely malware that alters the wallet's contents and adds its own address to your wallet file. An example of an altered file is given here.  When you open the original wallet do you get asked for the password at the very start or only when you go to spend from the wallet?
Hexcolyte (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2018, 01:17:20 AM
Last edit: September 02, 2018, 05:01:40 AM by Hexcolyte

• Electrum has bug.

Maybe the seller put something on it?
    Was the computer on offer from a corner shop somewhere that sells computers and electronics...
    The bug thing is potentiallly likely.

I just had an idea, can you try going to the concole and type "getmasterprivate" and try importing that into a new electrum wallet. .

No, it is a custom PC I built, all with brand new components, and using Windows ISO directly downloaded and installed from Microsoft.

Tried to import the master private key instead, but the result is the same as importing seed. It shows me a different list of address.

Here's the thread you created there. You've since deleted the contents.

Re your electrum problem then it's likely malware that alters the wallet's contents and adds its own address to your wallet file. An example of an altered file is given here.  When you open the original wallet do you get asked for the password at the very start or only when you go to spend from the wallet?

Just fyi according to some Reddit archive search, the post is made by a user named Na297 and I have been using the same username for year, I am not sure what the content was, but I believe it is only a few sentences with no point unlike my post which describe the details.

Thank you for that GitHub issue, at least someone is experiencing a similar situation as mine, I can't find any on the internet. The only different I can see is, the error code he received is '-1', while mine is '1', not sure if there is any difference.

In his case, the address is gone, and no fund left in the wallet. But I am not, I still have the balance, just unable to sent it. Also, he seems to have the same addresses after restoring it using seed, while I am having a completely different list of addresses.

I get asked for password every time I need to use the wallet, given it on startup or showing seed. The wallet is encrypted since it is created.

This is what I got from signature verification, should be fine.

So far, I can think of two ways to identify the current issue.

• Decrypt the problematic wallet file and see what is wrong with the file, and perhaps found the actual private keys for the address.
    • Use the 3.1.2 Electrum to generate a new seed, and import that seed to a 3.2.2 Electrum wallet to see if it is giving a wrong list of addresses.

I have done the second method, nothing seems off, all addresses matched perfectly.
    I am not sure how should I decrypt the file safely yet.[/list]
    Abdussamad
    Legendary

View Profile
    September 02, 2018, 04:36:47 AM

Decrypting the file is very easy. Go to wallet > password and enter your password in the first field only and click save. Then go to file > save copy to save a copy of the file somewhere convenient and then open it up in a  plain text editor like notepad

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
      Print  

Jump to: