Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 07:11:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC Stolen from Poloniex  (Read 167414 times)
The One
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:17:10 AM

Nice trick to steal hard earned Bitcoin, First open an exchange then make a plan and take off Bitcoin bcoz no body can complain for this Virtual currency. That is why so many Exchange all of sudden started popping every second day.

I am 100% sure these stupid exchange owner are main cause for this all.

This is direct mistake of Exchange owner , why Users will suffer for his mistake ?

Precisely my thought all along.

All too easy and no proof of any hacks.

It was theft, did the owner of Poloniex call the police?

Too many exchanges means not all can make a living and be profitable. It's like having 100 superstores in a village of 1000 people.

Temptation to steal knowing one's identify is unknown is great.

Only time will tell when we all get back the 12%+.....then this isn't a scam.

The ideas of shares, which i made clear is absurd, IPO, etc......could be the 2nd part of the scam.

Scam are done two ways - short game, small 'profit' and quick before moving onto the next target.....or.......- long game, big 'profit', attacking same targets.

The idea, without proof that Poloniex (tristan, Busico whatever) were not part of the hack/theft, everyone suddenly praising their honestly and transparency is laughable.

..C..
........What is C?.........
...........ICO            Dec 1st – Dec 30th............
       ............Open            Dec 1st- Dec 30th............
...................ANN thread      Bounty....................

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
fasbit

Activity: 425
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:37:27 AM

Nice trick to steal hard earned Bitcoin, First open an exchange then make a plan and take off Bitcoin bcoz no body can complain for this Virtual currency. That is why so many Exchange all of sudden started popping every second day.

This is direct mistake of Exchange owner , why Users will suffer for his mistake ?
Too many exchanges means not all can make a living and be profitable. It's like having 100 superstores in a village of 1000 people.
The ideas of shares, which i made clear is absurd, IPO, etc......could be the 2nd part of the scam.
Scam are done two ways - short game, small 'profit' and quick before moving onto the next target.....or.......- long game, big 'profit', attacking same targets.

The idea, without proof that Poloniex (tristan, Busico whatever) were not part of the hack/theft, everyone suddenly praising their honestly and transparency is laughable.

I know Busico... and he is solid as a rock... if he wanted to scam someone he would take all of your fucking shitcoins...but he didn't...  the reality is this whole industry is a work-in-process.... and one little mistake can cost thousands or millions... he will make it right... and you have no evidence otherwise... if he offers shares for sale I will pitch in and help cover... that's how much I trust in what he says...   Neither one of you have ANY evidence of malfeasance... zero.. nada...ziltch...  you just throw out bullshit with no proof... 
Billyboy402

Activity: 599
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:45:12 AM

sorry . but your business was hack , so it should be Ur business that take the lost . Image if paypal lost money from a bad employee. We wouldn't stand for our account to be lock or our balance to be touch. Surly Poloniex has made 10% in profit.

Poloniex should declare bankrupt of they cant afford the lost , It time for competent people to start running these type of business.

Your happy when your making huge profits with fees , Making us trust you with our money , then cry when you cant manage your affair.

THIS ACCOUNT WAS HACK > SORRY FOR ANY ONE THAT HAS DEALT WITH THIS ACCOUNT.
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:52:01 AM

Yes...but not an excuse....semantic difference. Wink Wink

Cheesy Alright. I'm big on semantics myself. I will concede this one Tongue
luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:58:26 AM

sorry . but your business was hack , so it should be Ur business that take the lost . Image if paypal lost money from a bad employee. We wouldn't stand for our account to be lock or our balance to be touch. Surly Poloniex has made 10% in profit.

Poloniex should declare bankrupt of they cant afford the lost , It time for competent people to start running these type of business.

Your happy when your making huge profits with fees , Making us trust you with our money , then cry when you cant manage your affair.

This is getting really old. Do you even read what you write?

Instead of him paying us all back, you think he should declare bankruptcy and pay us nothing?

He obviously hasn't been making huge profits, or he'd have paid back the money already. He hasn't "made" anyone trust him with their money; they all chose to do so of their own accord by using his exchange. Also, he hasn't "cried" about it in the slightest; you're the one apparently "crying".
ggc1ose

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:59:50 AM

according to your data, the thief's email is 373287211@qq.com,which is used for 9 years and it can easily find out who owns it.
ther number shows that he is living in Beijing.
other emails are all newly reged.

Foreigners's report to the police can be taken seriously in China.

a foreigner used to lost a bicycle,and the police finded it in just some hours~.lol

So you can report to the police,alarm call number is 0086 10 110

They should do this asap.
luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 05:02:01 AM

He gave all the info in the email. Not sure what more proof you'd like to have...

Also, it would seem that his identity isn't, in fact, unknown.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 05:17:44 AM

This story might turn out OK, just not sure if the income will be there.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 05:50:00 AM

I think he should shut down the exchange and pay back the users with remaining funds. Then pay out of pocket in another source of income to pay off his customers.

No one should trust this exchange if indeed it got hacked. Really it boils down to 1 strike and you are out. Out with the incompetent and in with the innovative and competent.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Warren

Activity: 112

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 05:58:50 AM
Last edit: March 06, 2014, 06:19:43 AM by Warren

I know Busico... and he is solid as a rock... if he wanted to scam someone he would take all of your fucking shitcoins...but he didn't...  the reality is this whole industry is a work-in-process.... and one little mistake can cost thousands or millions... he will make it right... and you have no evidence otherwise... if he offers shares for sale I will pitch in and help cover... that's how much I trust in what he says...   Neither one of you have ANY evidence of malfeasance... zero.. nada...ziltch...  you just throw out bullshit with no proof...  

I don't know Tristan, but the people here that still proclaim that this is a scam are probably mostly trolling. It can be argued that the hack was at least partly due to lack of competence, but every indication is that this is not a scam. Tristan is not really anonymous either, his name is Tristan D'Agosta and I'm sure you would be able to find all the details you want about him if you made some efforts, but wouldn't it be more interesting and productive to focus on trying to track down the hacker who stole these coins!?

First of all it is "surely".  Roll Eyes

Second, do you understand the razor thin margin that Poloniex operates with? The trading fee is 0,2% per transaction, so even with a decent average trading volume of 400-500 BTC per day (currently about $265,000) he is only making 0.8-1 BTC per day! That has to cover hosting costs, his salary and all other costs of running the exchange. It's tough to get started in this business with little or no money, and apart from this latest attack I think Tristan has done remarkably well on what seems like a shoestring budget. The site is great and since he moved servers it's fast and responsive as well.  Smiley

Why do you guys think it would be a good resolution for Poloniex to go bankrupt!?? He has already stated that he can't afford to repay his customers from personal funds. This may or may not be true, but it's irrelevant, because we do know that it's not going to happen!

I think he should shut down the exchange and pay back the users with remaining funds. Then pay out of pocket in another source of income to pay off his customers.

No one should trust this exchange if indeed it got hacked. Really it boils down to 1 strike and you are out. Out with the incompetent and in with the innovative and competent.

Says who?

Aren't we his customers the ones who should decide if we want to keep doing business with Poloniex or not? For those of you that no longer trust him, just don't trade there anymore. I am confident that you will still get back your 12,3% that has been temporary lost. You do know that almost all the exchanges, especially the Altcoin ones, have had issues in the past, right? As far as I know, none of them has dealt with the situation with such openness, transparency and integrity as Tristan has shown so far.

To me it makes much more sense that, after having solved the security issues, he continues to operate what is quickly turning into a popular and successful business, (if it weren't for hackers and thieves). Assuming that Tristan is able to solve the security problems on the site surely the best option for everyone would be to continue trading and make back at least enough BTC to make his customers whole again?

The only sensible reason I can see for proposing that he should stop operating is if Poloniex continues to remain vulnerable to more attacks, which would put more funds from new users at risk. That is why we need independent security experts to verify that it's safe once the improvements have been made.

I also think it's important that information is easily available on the site about these past security breaches, (as well as the actions that have been taken to make the site secure against future attacks). That way new users can join with open eyes and fully aware of the risks. This might slow down the growth somewhat, but consider how new and fresh such an open and transparent approach that Tristan has shown is compared to all the lies, deception and lack of communication we have seen from most of the previous sleazy exchange operators!

To me Tristan and Poloniex is a breath of fresh air, both in regards to the general functionality of the site and his approach to these problems!

As long as he is willing to hire the right people to help him lock down Poloniex from further attacks I would trust him more than the majority of the other exchanges, including the large ones. If he were also to introduce the insurance feature that I suggested in this post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=499580.msg5534025#msg5534025 it would be my favorite exchange by far!

The people complaining and "demanding" to be 100% repaid don't seem to realize that we are operating in virgin territory with Cryptocurencies.

You risk everything, every single time you deposit money or BTC on an exchange, and that goes for any exchange! If it's not due to hackers or owner theft your coin can just as well be taken by some government intervention. If you want 100% security, keep your coins in cold storage and make sure you are the only person to ever have access to them!

If you want to take part trading, especially Altcurrencies, you have to be willing to take risks, but for most of us that risk is more than worth it!  Smiley
Warren

Activity: 112

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 06:11:27 AM

Dear Users of Poloniex,

As you may have heard, a hacker recently used an exploit to steal 12.3% of the Bitcoins on Poloniex. Details on how t his happened can be found in this announcement post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=499580.0

In order to keep Poloniex solvent, all BTC balances were deducted yesterday by 12.3%. No further deductions will occur. As soon as I have time to put it up, you will be able to view exactly how much BTC you are missing on your Balances page.

I deeply regret that this happened, and am committed to repaying the debt and making Poloniex absolutely secure. Any exchange fees collected since the incident will be used to pay back the debt at regular intervals. Exchange fees will not be raised.

Additionally, shares of Poloniex may be issued, the profits from which would be used to repay the debt and hire highly qualified security experts. The timing and details of this, and indeed whether it will occur, have not been decided. I invite you all to give your input on these decisions by voting in the following poll and, if desired, leaving a comment: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=500578.0

Since the incident occurred, the way withdrawals and order creation are handled has been redesigned so that all such requests are added to a global command queue, then processed sequentially. More automated checks for consiste ncy of balances have been added. Larger percentages of coins have been moved into cold storage. And as of today, I am searching for additional developers to bolster the security of Poloniex as much as possible, and as soon as possible.

Here are some specific details about the hacker.

BTC addresses used to withdraw stolen funds to:

1ABnAg2nK3M6YKmaYtL5EBgdp1VQGyTbjL
18sdMt7ENfU3Weq7vy1Qdqr3skgd47WEbe
1Ktq7TE3J5vZ3c99M5weqKfFcNkHQdqPrq
1C1acLbFh3KaKgdFUBuCV8oD7ucqUaLLLY

IP addresses used to place the withdrawals:

Email addresses used to log in:

373287211@qq.com
gasthalter@qq.com
group_124@qq.com
johnimmi_234@qq.com
liuxiaohong_819@qq.com
peabody_129@qq.com
stevencohen_998@qq.com
wangweida_123@qq.com

The total BTC stolen was about 97. The addresses will add up to more than that; this is because the hacker needed to deposit BTC several times in order to use the exploit.

Finally, I would like to extend my deepest gratitude toward the many people who have shown their support, who have vouched for my character, and who have offered help. In this time of extreme and continual stress and worry, I truly appreciate it. I will do everything in my power to return your funds to you as soon as possible, and I am grateful for your patience in the meantime.

Sincerely,
Tristan

Tristan, I just saw your email in my inbox.

I think you are doing everything right with the way you are acting so far, and I look forward to trade on your site again once I feel confident that the security issues have been solved. Smiley

Now, let's hope that someone is able to track down that thief as well!  Angry
Bitcoin Betting Guide

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 08:19:38 AM

I want to deposit BTC buy an alt and withdraw the alt is this working and doable or not? If its working but with delays what are the delays?

Did it and its working perfectly. Bought Huntercoin, highly recommended, its going to be big!

The world's best source of crypto gambling information. Helping bettors win crypto! https://bitedge.com
xref

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 08:51:12 AM

i costumer in this exchange and i choose to stick with them.
but can you already add UTC Huh i want to buy this coin and its not on your exchange yet, so ether let me withdraw so i buy some UTC or bring the UTC to us.  Cool
smreko

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 08:58:53 AM

I've lost all my AUR on Poloniex. Can someone please say, what can I do to get them back??
sdersdf2

Activity: 224

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 09:09:53 AM

Busoni, are you aware of this and taking preemptive steps to protect against this?
http://www.coindesk.com/serious-linux-flaw-leave-bitcoiners-vulnerable-eavesdropping/
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 09:28:39 AM

I know Busico... and he is solid as a rock... if he wanted to scam someone he would take all of your fucking shitcoins...but he didn't...  the reality is this whole industry is a work-in-process.... and one little mistake can cost thousands or millions... he will make it right... and you have no evidence otherwise... if he offers shares for sale I will pitch in and help cover... that's how much I trust in what he says...   Neither one of you have ANY evidence of malfeasance... zero.. nada...ziltch...  you just throw out bullshit with no proof...  

I don't know Tristan, but the people here that still proclaim that this is a scam are probably mostly trolling. It can be argued that the hack was at least partly due to lack of competence, but every indication is that this is not a scam. Tristan is not really anonymous either, his name is Tristan D'Agosta and I'm sure you would be able to find all the details you want about him if you made some efforts, but wouldn't it be more interesting and productive to focus on trying to track down the hacker who stole these coins!?

First of all it is "surely".  Roll Eyes

Second, do you understand the razor thin margin that Poloniex operates with? The trading fee is 0,2% per transaction, so even with a decent average trading volume of 400-500 BTC per day (currently about $265,000) he is only making 0.8-1 BTC per day! That has to cover hosting costs, his salary and all other costs of running the exchange. It's tough to get started in this business with little or no money, and apart from this latest attack I think Tristan has done remarkably well on what seems like a shoestring budget. The site is great and since he moved servers it's fast and responsive as well.  Smiley

Why do you guys think it would be a good resolution for Poloniex to go bankrupt!?? He has already stated that he can't afford to repay his customers from personal funds. This may or may not be true, but it's irrelevant, because we do know that it's not going to happen!

Says who?

Aren't we his customers the ones who should decide if we want to keep doing business with Poloniex or not? For those of you that no longer trust him, just don't trade there anymore. I am confident that you will still get back your 12,3% that has been temporary lost. You do know that almost all the exchanges, especially the Altcoin ones, have had issues in the past, right? As far as I know, none of them has dealt with the situation with such openness, transparency and integrity as Tristan has shown so far.

To me it makes much more sense that, after having solved the security issues, he continues to operate what is quickly turning into a popular and successful business, (if it weren't for hackers and thieves). Assuming that Tristan is able to solve the security problems on the site surely the best option for everyone would be to continue trading and make back at least enough BTC to make his customers whole again?

The only sensible reason I can see for proposing that he should stop operating is if Poloniex continues to remain vulnerable to more attacks, which would put more funds from new users at risk. That is why we need independent security experts to verify that it's safe once the improvements have been made.

I also think it's important that information is easily available on the site about these past security breaches, (as well as the actions that have been taken to make the site secure against future attacks). That way new users can join with open eyes and fully aware of the risks. This might slow down the growth somewhat, but consider how new and fresh such an open and transparent approach that Tristan has shown is compared to all the lies, deception and lack of communication we have seen from most of the previous sleazy exchange operators!

To me Tristan and Poloniex is a breath of fresh air, both in regards to the general functionality of the site and his approach to these problems!

As long as he is willing to hire the right people to help him lock down Poloniex from further attacks I would trust him more than the majority of the other exchanges, including the large ones. If he were also to introduce the insurance feature that I suggested in this post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=499580.msg5534025#msg5534025 it would be my favorite exchange by far!

The people complaining and "demanding" to be 100% repaid don't seem to realize that we are operating in virgin territory with Cryptocurencies.

You risk everything, every single time you deposit money or BTC on an exchange, and that goes for any exchange! If it's not due to hackers or owner theft your coin can just as well be taken by some government intervention. If you want 100% security, keep your coins in cold storage and make sure you are the only person to ever have access to them!

If you want to take part trading, especially Altcurrencies, you have to be willing to take risks, but for most of us that risk is more than worth it!  Smiley

All that said, then Tristan D'Agosta should have no problem whatsoever in producing a police report. And, I'm not talking about doing such two weeks from now like Instawallet did, placing it in some foreign language section of this forum like they did, to only have it presented in the English section by another Bitcoiner that just happened to run across it.

BTW, It's damn near 11 months now since I've had access to my 1,132 BTC that InstaWallet is still safeguarding. Lucky me!
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 10:14:55 AM

so i send flappycoin in my deposit adress, but nothing shows up .... why ?
Del137

Activity: 434

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 10:19:39 AM

sent LTC same situation, seems like delayed deposits

████          O W N R   W A L L E T          ████   VISA PREPAID CARD    ████  Use crypto to pay in stores with OWNR  ████
❱❱❱❱ ❱❱❱ ❱❱ ❱     Buy, send, receive and exchange crypto        VISA    mastercard   SPA    UnionPay     ❰ ❰❰ ❰❰❰ ❰❰❰❰
BLOG       TWITTER     ██ █▌█ ▌     Manage crypto and VISA card in OWNR Wallet app    ▐ █▐█ ██     REDDIT   YOUTUBE
fenix79

Activity: 331
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 10:30:06 AM

+1
Sent Q2C same  situation
piples

Activity: 91

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 10:57:04 AM

+1
Sent Q2C same  situation

Sent MYR 70+ confirmation and still nothing...

I understand that you have a problem but only with bitcoin .... The rest of altcoins why suffer?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  

Jump to: