Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:28:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone here got into crypto before 2017? How was it before the hype?  (Read 1880 times)
Viranz

Activity: 133
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 12:51:23 PM

I spoke with few friends recently about the hype that the crypto market received at the end of 2017.
I wonder how was it before 2017.
Was the market easy to manipulate?
pump and dumps were more common?
Were people more into ICO's? the ICO image was better than it is today?

Before 2017, it might still be a waste because Bitcoin prices at that time were still small at the end of 2017 and could only feel the poor results that our coins could collect for ourselves.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
qumeijia

Activity: 166
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 12:59:18 PM

I spoke with few friends recently about the hype that the crypto market received at the end of 2017.

I do not know how was Crypto market of Bitcoin before 2017. I just know that all my friends know bitcoin and involve in since the middle of 2017, and it was surprised because most of them become rich and got extra income here. They are helped financially through participating in bounty campaign. And I notice from their experience and story is that the market of bitcoin in 2017 was much better than now. Even they said that 2017 was the year of Crypto currency. It was pretty moment of bitcoin due to the high value of almost all coins.
nidacoinlove

Activity: 588
Merit: 254

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 01:02:57 PM

Before 2017, it might still be a waste because Bitcoin prices at that time were still small at the end of 2017 and could only feel the poor results that our coins could collect for ourselves.
Bitcoin has a history of good and bad times. I know it since it was around $200/300 in 2015 after a market crash. Then it moved up slowly and gradually. I remember the day when it's price crossed $1800, we were so happy to see that price of BTC. But after August 2017 the price kept on accelerating. In December BTC was on fire, everyone had BTC fever, all the news channels used to talk about it's popularity. I hope we see that fame again soon.
Albert211994

Activity: 148
Merit: 11

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 01:10:50 PM

But it is way easier to earn money back then. Faucets gives a lot of bitcoins, signature campaigns pays more. If you have worked for bitcoin back then and hold your earnings, you are pretty much well off right now.
Dogtanian

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 01:16:44 PM

Pump and dumps and market manipulation have been going on for years. They're nothing new and will likely continue to happen. ICOs seem to be growing more and more each month but they'll probably die off eventually as investors get tired of all the scams and losing money on them. I think people will become more wise to them and where they put their money and only invest in the ones that actually have something worthwhile behind them, but at the moment the majority of them are just get rick quick schemes.
Sutters Mill

Activity: 976
Merit: 575

Cryptophile at large

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 01:29:28 PM

I've been involved with crypto since 2013 and on this forum since early 2014 and there's always been waves of hype and excitement, but nothing like what was seen late last year as it was just crazy with the amount of newbies that were jumping on board the hype train due to FOMO (which is what I think powered it mostly). I'm sure we'll see many more of these cycles over the next decade or so but I do hope one day bitcoin levels off and calms down and can be used more as a legitimate and stable currency. With so much money to be made and greedy whales and investors I'm sure it will be a fair while before we see that calm however.
Antelopez2

Activity: 237

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 01:37:50 PM

As the years go by, technology is becoming more advanced and developed. Before the activities of the crypto could not be done on a simple desktop computer. But now we can do the work on a smart phone too. So yes, the hype has increased a lot from 2017.
Satish147

Activity: 420
Merit: 100

Harmony for One and All

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2018, 02:13:26 PM

I entered into crypto during starting months of 2017. So I learned so much from crypto space and I started investing little bit of my savings to appreciate capital gains. And at that time every investment idea worked because every crypto token is available in cheap rates. And then after Bitcoin Futures came into the picture Euphoria started from people around the world. And everyone started catching FOMO. And we saw the ATH for every crypto token. Then we are now seeing the blood from the market heavily and most of them lost their investment who invested in Euphoria phase. But the people who invested in 2017 starting or before are may be holding because a still they are in profits compared to the prices at that time. And of course they are long term believers.

tot-o

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 03:05:36 PM

Crypto hype started even in 2015 wherein Bitcoin pump from its lowest price to around $1000 and more, people started to noticed it also even in the year that the price become only $90, I was reading some stories and they were wrong with their decision selling their bitcoin in $200 not knowing it can go $5000 ++ people were not thinking about manipulating the market since the system does the calculation but as of today there coming up with many various strategy--
jonathan6655321 (OP)

Activity: 286
Merit: 23

GuerrillaBuzz ICO/STO/IEO Marketing and PR company

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2018, 03:56:35 PM

I came in 2014. Basically "just" after Mt Gox.

Manipulation was always there, but the amount of spam was much bearable.
The people had periods when they were unhappy about the price, but the most vocals were the miners. I remember very good the days from the summer of 2015, the price was slowly dropping (went back from gox 1k+ to under 200$) and the miners started stopping their gears.

I start to believe that the amount of "Bitcoin is falling to 0" spam (which is inevitable when the price drops) is proportional with the ATH and the % dropped from the ATH Smiley

Pump and dump was very common on altcoin market. Bitcoin market looked more stable (although Gox was clearly a pump and dump after all).

ICOs/IPOs were on small numbers. Back then there were no platforms to create tokens as easy as today. And building your own coin (usually PoS) meant more work and the need for more skills. Of course the image was much better at start and degraded over time, but scams were there back then too - from fake coins and fake ICOs to exchange "hacks". But it's a big difference if you lose 1000$ and when you lose 100000$ and the recent "boom" of Bitcoin (and all crypto market) has "caused" this. Back when Bitcoin has dropped to 200$ I knew it has to grow, but I never expected that in such a short time will grow 100x. Not Bitcoin.

And we are back to a relationship between scams (and spam) and the ATH Smiley

Thank you for this great answer.
What do you think about the bearish market in the last few months?
Do you believe it gonna recover any soon?

GuerrillaBuzz: Blockchain, Crypto & Web3 PR Agency

GuerrillaBuzz is a leading blockchain PR, crypto, Web3 marketing agency. Trusted by CoinGecko, BRD, Bancor, AAX, Telos.
https://guerrillabuzz.com/
AutisticKid007

Activity: 83

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 04:08:23 PM

The reason that more and more people are into the market today is because of the feasibility and the smooth access that we are getting right now. At the same time, before 2017, the tech savvy and the coders were the ones heavily invested in the market.
learningcrypto5421

Activity: 306

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 04:48:53 PM

Before 2017, there weren’t many participants in the crypto market so bigger pumps were less common. But we have seen worse situation than it is now. Trust me, bitcoin is doing much better compared to previous years, we just need to hold on to our patience.
TheBitcoinBadger10

Activity: 261

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 05:10:43 PM

I was a participant before 2017 and the market was volatile like it is now. Every now and then there were pumps and dumps but since there were less investors we would see those pumps and dumps happening at a smaller scale.
bitcoindigger71

Activity: 266

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 05:31:22 PM

Market manipulation was much less before 2017. There were fewer investors and those who got in back then actually did their research. So it was a bit tough for the whales to manipulate but still they always find a way. Back then, the ICOs were very profitable too and companies were coming up with great projects.
Utouippe

Activity: 32

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 05:31:29 PM

That time it was almost like present time. But then number of big pumps was not much. Besides the market of various altcoins was not that high in that time and was not very popular as well  
pawanjain

Activity: 2660
Merit: 713

Nothing lasts forever

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 05:37:22 PM

I joined crypto a long time ago. It has been a while now and to be honest we have seen the tough times as well as the good times.
It has been a wonderful journey until now and I hope it continues. Watching btc rise over $1k and then dropping back to $300. Watching it cross $19k and now at $6.5K . This is how it keeps going on.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
dreammoney710

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2018, 05:41:20 PM

Perhaps contrasted with now, ICO before 2017 was very little and still practically nothing. However, the ICO is extremely persuading, even the normal achievement. Altogether different from the year after 2017. New ICOs showed up, yet there were next to no persuading, even numerous fraudsters behind the ICO.
ScottDominic

Activity: 59

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 06:12:21 PM

As far I know at that time also the market of crypto fall and also it recovered bit I also admit that it is the historical fall of bitcoin.
xanaxxx

Activity: 280
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 06:15:32 PM

pumps and dumps weren't here before, at least they weren't so popular. We had less ridiculous guys screaming about the moon. At the very beginning, believers were the majority of the community, now they're like 5%
TomJ.Lawson

Activity: 41

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 06:50:37 PM

Rather than ICO, it was simply standard altcoins promising the world yet conveying significantly less. They were for the most part still pumps and dumps, only less in number. Be that as it may, at any rate, you realized what you were getting before you got it in light of the fact that there was a real blockchain to go take a gander at.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: