Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:09:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wikipedia's yearly donation campaign; Time to accept Bitcoins?  (Read 16623 times)
GoWest

Activity: 563
Merit: 501

betwithbtc.com

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2011, 02:31:03 AM

Good news, on this front.

Wikimedia NYC, a non-profit regional support organization for Wikipedia/Wikimedia has started accepting bitcoin donations: https://nyc.wikimedia.org/wiki/Donate

Wikimedia has chapters all over the world that serve to organize regional efforts. In some countries there are tax advantages vs donating to Wikimedia itself (though, obviously not for a US chapter), but chapters primarily serve to organize the offline efforts of Wikimedians to reach out to the greater world around them— collaborating with schools, libraries, and museums.   

Wikimedia NYC is one of the larger and more productive chapters, especially considering that it's one of the younger ones. More info at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_New_York_City

WM NYC runs workshops to teach people to edit wikipedia, they run an annual wikipedia conference in NY which is open to the public, and have run big highly productive initiatives to improve Wikipedia's coverage (both in articles and in illustrations). Their outreach both increases the depth of Wikipedia coverage, and breadth by helping people who aren't computer geeks to contribute.  Donations to Wikimedia NYC directly support these efforts.

I'm not personally a part of WM NYC, but I've worked with them on some of their projects in the past and sometimes visit to their meetings (or at least if you go through their meeting archives you can find pictures of me, though I live down in DC so I don't make it there too often).  So I can say with a least a bit of direct experience, but without personal bias, that they're an organization worth funding.  Moreover,  success with their bitcoin donations may encourage other chapters and Wikimedia itself to accept donations in bitcoin.

Cheers.

That is awesome news.  Blogged!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2011, 03:22:43 AM

One is the older Wikimedia New York City chapter page page on Wikimedia meta wiki— it's a wiki setup for all the wikimedia sausage making stuff (thus 'meta').

Nyc.wikimedia.org is a separate wiki setup for the chapter earlier this year.  They're apparently migrating stuff from one to the other slowly over time. The front page there points this out (and the page at meta.wikimedia.org also links to nyc.wikimedia.org).

Thank you kindly, gmaxwell, for clearing that up for me. I simply thought that it looked weird and needed a trusted opinion.

On that note, this is great news. At first, we had Jimmy saying no. Then the other idea of organizing the editors was shut down with a valid reason. Now we have Wikimedia NYC accepting Bitcoin on its own accord. And how many other chapters are there? And what's the likelihood of having all of them accept Bitcoin as a donation option? And who's in charge of trying to make sure that this comes to pass? And what are we waiting for?

~Bruno~
sadpandatech (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 03:25:59 AM

One is the older Wikimedia New York City chapter page page on Wikimedia meta wiki— it's a wiki setup for all the wikimedia sausage making stuff (thus 'meta').

Nyc.wikimedia.org is a separate wiki setup for the chapter earlier this year.  They're apparently migrating stuff from one to the other slowly over time. The front page there points this out (and the page at meta.wikimedia.org also links to nyc.wikimedia.org).

Thank you kindly, gmaxwell, for clearing that up for me. I simply thought that it looked weird and needed a trusted opinion.

On that note, this is great news. At first, we had Jimmy saying no. Then the other idea of organizing the editors was shut down with a valid reason. Now we have Wikimedia NYC accepting Bitcoin on its own accord. And how many other chapters are there? And what's the likelihood of having all of them accept Bitcoin as a donation option? And who's in charge of trying to make sure that this comes to pass? And what are we waiting for?

~Bruno~

It seems all of them share the same email for addressing issues/suggestions with donating. That is problemsdonating@wikimedia.org

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2011, 03:33:18 AM

~Bruno~

It seems all of them share the same email for addressing issues/suggestions with donating. That is problemsdonating@wikimedia.org

Thanks, D. Noted!

Good news, on this front.

Wikimedia NYC, a non-profit regional support organization for Wikipedia/Wikimedia has started accepting bitcoin donations: https://nyc.wikimedia.org/wiki/Donate

Wikimedia has chapters all over the world that serve to organize regional efforts. In some countries there are tax advantages vs donating to Wikimedia itself (though, obviously not for a US chapter), but chapters primarily serve to organize the offline efforts of Wikimedians to reach out to the greater world around them— collaborating with schools, libraries, and museums.  

Wikimedia NYC is one of the larger and more productive chapters, especially considering that it's one of the younger ones. More info at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_New_York_City

WM NYC runs workshops to teach people to edit wikipedia, they run an annual wikipedia conference in NY which is open to the public, and have run big highly productive initiatives to improve Wikipedia's coverage (both in articles and in illustrations). Their outreach both increases the depth of Wikipedia coverage, and breadth by helping people who aren't computer geeks to contribute.  Donations to Wikimedia NYC directly support these efforts.

I'm not personally a part of WM NYC, but I've worked with them on some of their projects in the past and sometimes visit to their meetings (or at least if you go through their meeting archives you can find pictures of me, though I live down in DC so I don't make it there too often).  So I can say with a least a bit of direct experience, but without personal bias, that they're an organization worth funding.  Moreover,  success with their bitcoin donations may encourage other chapters and Wikimedia itself to accept donations in bitcoin.

Cheers.

That is awesome news.  Blogged!

Nice little write-up with that blog post, GoWest.

I've just donated to Wikimedia NYC. When it shows up in a few minutes, they should have an extra 1.23456789 BTC.  Grin (I just had to be different!)

~Bruno~
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8411

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2011, 03:53:21 AM

The decisions of the chapters are up to the chapters.  They may each have their own personnel issues (e.g. lack of an available trusted party to handle the digital donations), interpretations of local laws, hunger for funding, etc.

The list of chapters is here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_chapters.

It's worth noting that not all chapters are equal.  Some are large and active, some are new, inexperienced, and some are mostly idle.   Some are not actively soliciting donations because they don't have the organizational maturity to handle them (and just get grants from Wikimedia to run projects that cost money), etc.

Off the top of my head: Some of the larger and more active chapters are Germany, Netherlands, France, Israel, Australia, Italy, UK, and Argentina.

My gut impression is that Germany won't care much (they are by far the largest chapter, and have a lot of income already) and that UK will blow you off with bitcoin-is-bad+wacko-law-interpretations.  Best bet is contacting a chapter near you or ones associated with languages that you speak.   Since chapters have a regional (and often language specific) focus, people closer to the chapter are in a better position to interact with and evaluate them.

Wikimedia (washington) DC is a new, smaller chapter that was just recently formed. It has a lot of cultural overlap with the NY chapter so it might be receptive too.

I feel kinda silly for not suggesting trying to get the chapters to take bitcoin before... in general its a pretty good fit: as smaller organizations the chapters can be a little more agile... and if one or another is infected with the bitcoin-is-bad meme there are others to try.  The ones who will accept it get the benefit. Smiley  And it will build up a base of experience with accepting bitcoin donations within the Wikimedia family.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2011, 05:22:52 AM

The decisions of the chapters are up to the chapters.  They may each have their own personnel issues (e.g. lack of an available trusted party to handle the digital donations), interpretations of local laws, hunger for funding, etc.

The list of chapters is here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_chapters.

It's worth noting that not all chapters are equal.  Some are large and active, some are new, inexperienced, and some are mostly idle.   Some are not actively soliciting donations because they don't have the organizational maturity to handle them (and just get grants from Wikimedia to run projects that cost money), etc.

Off the top of my head: Some of the larger and more active chapters are Germany, Netherlands, France, Israel, Australia, Italy, UK, and Argentina.

My gut impression is that Germany won't care much (they are by far the largest chapter, and have a lot of income already) and that UK will blow you off with bitcoin-is-bad+wacko-law-interpretations.  Best bet is contacting a chapter near you or ones associated with languages that you speak.   Since chapters have a regional (and often language specific) focus, people closer to the chapter are in a better position to interact with and evaluate them.

Wikimedia (washington) DC is a new, smaller chapter that was just recently formed. It has a lot of cultural overlap with the NY chapter so it might be receptive too.

I feel kinda silly for not suggesting trying to get the chapters to take bitcoin before... in general its a pretty good fit: as smaller organizations the chapters can be a little more agile... and if one or another is infected with the bitcoin-is-bad meme there are others to try.  The ones who will accept it get the benefit. Smiley  And it will build up a base of experience with accepting bitcoin donations within the Wikimedia family.

Thank you kindly, gmaxwll, for taking your valuable time in enlightening us on the status of the various chapters.

I have a question that's slightly off topic, so forgive me. Are there another organizations we are missing that are based on a similar structure, ones that may be a perfect fit in accepting Bitcoin donations? Ones that where the main body would reject Bitcoin, but the sub units are able to accept Bitcoin donations as we've just witnessed with Wikipedia/Wikimedia NYC. If so, name them. (sorry if this is unclear, for I'm a tad tired but felt it important enough to get it out there while fresh in mind)

~Bruno~
mcorlett
Donator

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 05:31:36 AM

Perhaps this will turn out like when you were a kid and there was that new toy in town, but nobody wanted it until the moment one of your friends got one, at which point everyone had to have it. That's how I hope it turns out, anyway.

Nice work.

gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8411

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2011, 05:46:33 AM

I have a question that's slightly off topic, so forgive me. Are there another organizations we are missing that are based on a similar structure, ones that may be a perfect fit in accepting Bitcoin donations? Ones that where the main body would reject Bitcoin, but the sub units are able to accept Bitcoin donations as we've just witnessed with Wikipedia/Wikimedia NYC. If so, name them. (sorry if this is unclear, for I'm a tad tired but felt it important enough to get it out there while fresh in mind)

There are lots of non-profits that have a chapters model something like this.  The first that pops into my mind is the ACLU.  Though... I'm not an expert on that. Certainly it would be a useful tactic to use elsewhere.
Coinabul

Activity: 588

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2011, 08:25:17 AM

I love the fact that Wikipedia is making us scheme to donate to them.
Cheesy

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 02:42:17 PM

Quote from: Wikimedia NYC Chapter
If you wish to donate to us though Bitcoin, our address is the following: 1F4Ka3nHH3Ef1P2f66AwLEqwHo6J9wFHKC
They misspelled "through".
Still donated 1BTC anyway.

netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 05:03:11 AM

I've been trying to get Amnesty International to accept bitcoin. They have chapters in nearly every country. Considering they deal with issues in tyrannical societies, I would think bitcoin a good fit. Any suggestions?

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 06:41:43 AM

I've been trying to get Amnesty International to accept bitcoin. They have chapters in nearly every country. Considering they deal with issues in tyrannical societies, I would think bitcoin a good fit. Any suggestions?

Not to be a smart ass, but keep trying. I would suggest next sending a modified version of the letter that Derek with Bitcoin100 sent to St. Jude.
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 09:11:11 AM

You guys should certainly stop doing that.  Harceling people about bitcoin
gives the worst possible image of the community.

Bitcoin doesn't need such methods to succeed.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 12:57:54 PM

Wikimedia chapters? This remind me something... but i don't remember what... oh well anyway, FOR THE EMPEROR  Grin

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 05:16:54 PM

yeah but some small pushes can do any wrong. A small chick does the same when trying to hatch from it's egg  Wink

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
sadpandatech (OP)

Activity: 504

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 05:25:25 PM

I would agree, if, we were actually hassling anyone. I sent one email to 2 different Wiki addresses that basicly said, 'Hey, I'd like to donate to you. Do you take bitcoins?' And our bitcoin100 list is designed to be very unannoying by sending one letter, to only one charity so far, in order to represent a group of people versus everyone just spamming them.

It is no more annoying than someone who would have mailed any charity on earth over the last 10 years that asked, "Hey, I'd like to donate. Will you accept paypal?"

p.s. Is harceling French?

cheers

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 05:26:39 PM

I sent a message to Flattr, one of the most used blog tipping services, to start accepting bitcoin, and I got this reply:

Quote from: Reply from: Linus Olsson at 2011-12-27 15:37
Hi

We have had a very long discussion about this, but as bitcoins are something very few uses most people receiving bitcoins would probably not know what to do with them. As the key to flattr is that users should get money, we have decided not to add it.

Regards Linus

If we had a service that took bitcoin and instantly converted it to paypal, we could get the really big companies onboard.  It would be counter-productive because it is giving money to paypal, but it would help the community take notice to bitcoin.  Maybe make a service where the bitcoin is converted into USD or other physical currency and snail-mailed?  I dunno, but Eclipse Mining Consortium has a cool auto-payout feature to Paypal and it would be cool if someone had a similar site that could pay out just as easily.  
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 07:04:14 PM

I sent a message to Flattr, one of the most used blog tipping services, to start accepting bitcoin, and I got this reply:

Quote from: Reply from: Linus Olsson at 2011-12-27 15:37
Hi

We have had a very long discussion about this, but as bitcoins are something very few uses most people receiving bitcoins would probably not know what to do with them. As the key to flattr is that users should get money, we have decided not to add it.

Regards Linus

If we had a service that took bitcoin and instantly converted it to paypal, we could get the really big companies onboard.  It would be counter-productive because it is giving money to paypal, but it would help the community take notice to bitcoin.  Maybe make a service where the bitcoin is converted into USD or other physical currency and snail-mailed?  I dunno, but Eclipse Mining Consortium has a cool auto-payout feature to Paypal and it would be cool if someone had a similar site that could pay out just as easily.  

bitinstant.com comes to mind, i haven't personally used their service but remember seeing them offer methods to do BTC>Paypal, it is not free obviously.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2011, 12:41:56 AM

That's what I'm talking about! What an interesting idea! Post it on their forum, thus initiating a dialog about Bitcoin. Now take a page from what we've just learned and apply it to other organizations that have a forum set up. Rinse and repeat!

~Bruno~
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2011, 05:55:49 AM

Good job wcoenen!!  That's a huge step in the right direction!

I wish there was a button I could click now to help, I guess we wait and email other organizations.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: