Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:15:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin forum getting big, Need Moderators  (Read 4889 times)
kiba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 27, 2011, 05:20:57 PM

The forum regularly get hundred of visitors online at the same time, but it is becoming an issue where people are misbehaving and such...Like this thread http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5006.msg73541#new where bitcoiners are assaulted by NSFW images.

Sooner or later, we will need additional moderators or janitors that handle drive-by assault, forum split, and spams. As the bitcoin economy grows, so will this forum.

Either that or somebody code a self-moderation feature so that users can take of nasty problems on the spot.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fabianhjr

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Do The Evolution

View Profile
March 27, 2011, 06:59:31 PM

We also need to set up an "acceptable" policy. SlikRoad exists for anything that is not accepted here.
We should also separate the NSFW section from the others. A dedicated forum for NSFW posts would be the best.

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 27, 2011, 08:10:42 PM

I'm willing to volunteer to be the bad cop.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2011, 08:25:59 PM

You're hired!

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2011, 08:32:29 PM

I just noticed that I am a global moderator.  Shocked

ryepdx

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 27, 2011, 09:37:48 PM

I'd be willing to patrol the forums a bit and clean out the spam. I'm already on a lot anyway, and I'm pretty well invested in the health of the community at this point. Though I understand if you're reluctant: I'm still relatively new here.
error

Activity: 588

View Profile
March 27, 2011, 10:01:36 PM

I guess the theory is, he who complains, has to do something about it.
* error runs like hell

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2011, 10:33:59 PM

I guess the theory is, he who complains, has to do something about it.
* error runs like hell
lol

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
chaord

Activity: 218
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 27, 2011, 10:38:39 PM

If you need more moderators, I can lend a hand.  Just let me know.
CCCMikey

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 27, 2011, 11:13:36 PM

Any chance of changing away from this type of system into a reddit-style system where entries are voted up and down? This forum's style of data presentation seems a bit old-fashioned these days as the got bits get lost in the ho-hum bits Smiley
stakhanov

Activity: 175

View Profile
March 27, 2011, 11:32:55 PM

Any chance of changing away from this type of system into a reddit-style system where entries are voted up and down? This forum's style of data presentation seems a bit old-fashioned these days as the got bits get lost in the ho-hum bits Smiley

There's a bitcoin reddit if you want Smiley It already has quite a few users!
SteveB

Activity: 170
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 27, 2011, 11:36:22 PM

Oh No, Please don't!
I hate the social-media type of crap that is more and more infecting the internet!
CCCMikey

View Profile
March 27, 2011, 11:42:36 PM

Righto..

How about threaded conversations then? Or is that a bad idea.
SteveB

Activity: 170

View Profile
March 27, 2011, 11:49:41 PM

Righto..

How about threaded conversations then? Or is that a bad idea.
I like the forum just the way it is. But what do I know. I'm old  Cheesy
CryptikEnigma

Activity: 336

View Profile
March 27, 2011, 11:52:39 PM

Oh No, Please don't!
I hate the social-media type of crap that is more and more infecting the internet!

Agreed.
error

Activity: 588

View Profile
March 28, 2011, 01:37:09 AM

The forum is fine for some things, but in my opinion the "Marketplace" should be moved to something more appropriate. Exactly what, I'm not entirely sure right now. But IRC doesn't strike me as a good solution either.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Anonymous

March 28, 2011, 02:53:23 AM

There's a bitcoin reddit if you want Smiley It already has quite a few users!

Indeed there is  Smiley

We also dont like the social media crap as you can tell we have no facebook or twitter integration whatsoever .

CCCMikey

View Profile
March 28, 2011, 06:09:48 AM

We also dont like the social media crap...

Good. Nor do I Smiley More closed systems...
nster

Activity: 126

View Profile
March 28, 2011, 07:14:40 AM

Isn't this thread to volunteer to be a moderator and explain why you would be a good one? It seems you guys are going completely off-topic in a serious thread, a problem that is developing in this community. I'd go as far as to say it is a common problem.

My advice for recruiting moderators would be to approach the forum members that are well established in the community and that do not have too much controversy and that give the impression of fitting your criteria first. You probably already have done that but mentioning it again can't hurt. TBH I do not think I would meet the reqs to be a moderator here, but once I am a more established member I will be happy to help.

I would also suggest that you implement a another "degree" of moderation, a good division is in 2 1/2 : Admins (this is the half as it should contain <3), Senior Moderators (established as moderators, have proven themselves to be good moderators, have a lot of power), Moderators (Your normal average Joe Moderator). You could add a Jr.Mod which would be a Mod in training or establishing themselves enough to be trustworthy. Just my 2 cents

167q1CHgVjzLCwQwQvJ3tRMUCrjfqvSznd Donations are welcome Smiley Please be kind if I helped
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2011, 07:18:54 AM

Isn't this thread to volunteer to be a moderator and explain why you would be a good one? It seems you guys are going completely off-topic in a serious thread, a problem that is developing in this community. I'd go as far as to say it is a common problem.

My advice for recruiting moderators would be to approach the forum members that are well established in the community and that do not have too much controversy and that give the impression of fitting your criteria first. You probably already have done that but mentioning it again can't hurt. TBH I do not think I would meet the reqs to be a moderator here, but once I am a more established member I will be happy to help.

I would also suggest that you implement a another "degree" of moderation, a good division is in 2 1/2 : Admins (this is the half as it should contain <3), Senior Moderators (established as moderators, have proven themselves to be good moderators, have a lot of power), Moderators (Your normal average Joe Moderator). You could add a Jr.Mod which would be a Mod in training or establishing themselves enough to be trustworthy. Just my 2 cents

No, this thread was about the need to increase moderation to keep up with the spams and drive-by NSFW attacks, and other janitorial duties. It's just so happens that the higher ups decided to increase the number of moderators as solution to the problem and choose long-standing members like me.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: