Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 05:07:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HOWTO: Run 50 gridseed miners off a single Windows 7 x64 machine-w/ downloads  (Read 9473 times)
studio1one

Activity: 1218
Merit: 500

BintexFutures

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 10:46:55 PM

I've been able to get my 48 miners powered by a single windows x64 machine. I was using anker 13 port powered hubs and I found that you can't daisy-chain them, as windows sees each block of 4 ports as a daisy-chained "hub." 

Basically, you need to plug each hub into the machine or, at the very least, daisy-chain off the first port. Here is my current setup, minus a few gridseeds.

When I initially plugged these units in, I couldn’t get windows 7 x64 to see the virtual com ports, and found I needed to install the virtual com driver that I found here: http://www.diffpair.com/lightningasic/LIGHTNINGASIC%20Gold%20miner%20USB%20driver.rar

I’m running separate instances of the custom-coded cpuminer with the BTC core shut off for scrypt-only mining. I was able to get that from here:  http://cryptomining-blog.com/1165-download-cpuminer-for-gridseed-5-chip-gc3355-asics-with-reduced-power-usage/

I have been able to get about 12.8-13.4 mh when mining with 48 of these units. I’ve been running them for 24 hours straight now with no disconnects, no reboots, and 100% stability. If you are having issues with the supplied controller, I suggest you ditch it and use a computer. If you’ve still got motherboards lying around from your GPU mining days, setup a quick install of windows/linux and run your gridseeds off that.

PICS:

Cheesy

I just love the beer poster.

BINTEX

Powered by,
zeetak (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 12

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:44:47 AM

Cheesy

I just love the beer poster.

It is pretty awesome, isn't it. You need beer to make gridseeds work.
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:50:50 AM

What's your total power draw?

zeetak (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:51:49 AM

I don't have a kill-o-watt, but I'm estimating around 8 watts per unit, or 393 watts. Not bad for 16 MH scrypt mining, if I don't say so myself.
KryptoKings

Activity: 854
Merit: 506

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 12:57:23 PM

I don't have a kill-o-watt, but I'm estimating around 8 watts per unit, or 393 watts. Not bad for 16 MH scrypt mining, if I don't say so myself.

How hot is the room they are in or how hot do they run? I have 2 miners with 6 total 280x cards and it is hot as hell in that room. I might order 20 of these to start. What site did you order from? Thanks for the great infor
zeetak (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:19:06 PM

How hot is the room they are in or how hot do they run? I have 2 miners with 6 total 280x cards and it is hot as hell in that room. I might order 20 of these to start. What site did you order from? Thanks for the great infor

Well, it's not hot at all. I actually disconnected the wires that cool these little guys and they are still cool to the touch. In fact, I had to turn on the pellet stove just a few minutes ago because it's cold down here.  I don't miss the heat and noise created by GPU's, I can tell you that.  I ordered from Zoomhash.com, he is totally legit and very helpful.
KryptoKings

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:47:35 PM

Well, it's not hot at all. I actually disconnected the wires that cool these little guys and they are still cool to the touch. In fact, I had to turn on the pellet stove just a few minutes ago because it's cold down here.  I don't miss the heat and noise created by GPU's, I can tell you that.  I ordered from Zoomhash.com, he is totally legit and very helpful.

Great info! Thanks. I just ordered one unit from Zoomhash a few days ago for testing before ordering more. I am looking at selling all my miners to buy some of these up. I have extra stuff from miners so I can do a stand along pc.
PMB

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:29:33 PM

After a day of these units running I got sick of the noise of 49 small fans, so I disconnected the individual fans and pointed a box fan at them. Now they are running silently and are only slightly warm to the touch.  The only sound is the power supply fans kicking on every once in a while.

Can you post a picture of it with the box fan?

regards,

P.
zeetak (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:39:14 PM

After a day of these units running I got sick of the noise of 49 small fans, so I disconnected the individual fans and pointed a box fan at them. Now they are running silently and are only slightly warm to the touch.  The only sound is the power supply fans kicking on every once in a while.

Can you post a picture of it with the box fan?

regards,

P.

Sure. Initially I had the box fan on the top of the rack pointing down, but then it occurred to me that heat rises, so I'm basically fighting against physics. I moved it to the bottom blowing up and now more of them stay cool.

PMB

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:56:53 PM

Sure. Initially I had the box fan on the top of the rack pointing down, but then it occurred to me that heat rises, so I'm basically fighting against physics. I moved it to the bottom blowing up and now more of them stay cool.

Thanks!!

Very nice! Is the Fan sufficient for the three-storage-high rack? The top are also cooled???

I ask you this because one of my Gridseeds came with a Fan that does a annoying noise....I am thinking of replacing it with a standard one...

regards,

P.
KryptoKings

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 05:28:23 PM

Thanks!!

Very nice! Is the Fan sufficient for the three-storage-high rack? The top are also cooled???

I ask you this because one of my Gridseeds came with a Fan that does a annoying noise....I am thinking of replacing it with a standard one...

regards,

P.

If it worked for zeetak then it is good enough for me. waiting on ebay funds to clear and I have will have 20 to start. I have a similar rack also lol. Awesome setup zeetak.
zeetak (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 05:32:32 PM

Thanks!!

regards,

P.

The top ones are cooled currently. The bonus of having the fan wires disconnected on the miners is that you can just lay a box fan directly on them, and it'll probably work fine.
zeetak (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 06:20:43 PM

If it worked for zeetak then it is good enough for me. waiting on ebay funds to clear and I have will have 20 to start. I have a similar rack also lol. Awesome setup zeetak.

Just wait, I have 50 more arriving tomorrow or sat! You are gonna get more pics for sure then Cheesy
rebelrat

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 07:41:57 PM

Great job.  Could you  post a close-up picture that shows the AC connection of the psu and the connections of the Gridseed units to the psu?

Thanks in advance.
PMB

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 09:06:17 PM

Thanks!!

regards,

P.

IKEA Rules right?!
bobby35ny

Activity: 96

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 09:25:14 PM

So is 50 the official count? or 48?
-bobby
zeetak (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 09:36:39 PM

Great job.  Could you  post a close-up picture that shows the AC connection of the psu and the connections of the Gridseed units to the psu?

Thanks in advance.

Sure.

zeetak (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 09:37:54 PM

So is 50 the official count? or 48?
-bobby

I have 50 but i'm missing a miniusb plug so i can't plug in the 50th. Sad panda.
Cryptomuncher

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 10:49:46 PM

Awesome. I just ordered 10 of them from ZoomHash. Hope it's as easy a setup on my windows 7 machine as it was for you!
MicroCC

Activity: 97

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 12:27:26 AM

Also--it looks like somebody has gotten cgminer to work in LTC mode with BTC disabled so you don't need to run cpuminer. Here's the comment:

If you don't want to run a bunch of cpuminers, I have posted modified cgminer sources to allow LTC-only mode: https://github.com/dtbartle/cgminer-gc3355. I have this running on a Raspberry Pi with 10 devices.

what thread does this come from exactly?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: