Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:25:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: First Meta CEO found dead suspected of suicide  (Read 6392 times)
got2bereal (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 04:36:16 PM

http://nypost.com/2014/03/05/bitcoin-firm-ceo-found-dead-in-suspected-suicide/

It appears bitcoin’s recent turmoil has claimed its first life.

Autumn Ratke a 28-year-old American CEO of bitcoin exchange firm First Meta was found dead in her Singapore apartment on Feb. 28.

Local media are calling it a suicide, but Singapore officials are waiting for toxicology test results.
Ratke formerly worked with Apple and other Silicon Valley tech firms on developing digital payment systems.

Ratke’s death brings the number of questionable financial sector deaths this year to eight.
On Feb. 18 a 33-year-old JPMorgan finance pro leaped to his death the roof of the JPMorgan’s 30-story Hong Kong office tower.
Modal Trigger

Photo: Facebook

Li Junjie’s suicide marked the third mysterious death of a JPMorgan banker. So far, there is no other known link between any of the deaths.

Gabriel Magee, 39, a vice president with the JPMorgan’s corporate and investment bank technology arm in the UK, also jumped to his death from the roof of the bank’s 33-story Canary Wharf tower in London on Jan. 28.

On Feb. 3, Ryan Henry Crane, 37, a JPM executive director who worked in New York, was found dead inside his Stamford, Conn., home.

A cause of death in Crane’s case has not be determined until a toxicology report is complete, according to a spokesperson for the Stamford detectives division.

The report is expected within two weeks.

Two other bankers have also taken their lives outside of JPMorgan.

On Jan. 31, Mike Dueker — the chief economist at Russell Investments and former Federal Reserve bank economist — was found dead at the side of a road that leads to the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in Washington state, according to the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department. He was 50.

On Jan. 26, William Broeksmit, 58, a former senior risk manager at Deutsche Bank, was found hanging in a house in South Kensington, according to London police.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Magic8Ball
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:13:38 PM

What happened to that exchange? Big losses?
V4Vendettas

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 06:04:19 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2573863/Bitcoin-exchange-CEO-dead-home-suspected-suicide-age-28.html

Sad news.

I will be the first to admit I have not kept up to date on First Meta so have no idea about its situation but I have a horrible feeling we will be seeing more suicide related deaths as a result of Hacking.

It seems like companies are getting hit really fast and hard right now.

Edit: Not saying First Meta was hacked.

Definit

Activity: 357

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 06:54:31 PM

If she was found dead on Feb. 28th, then whats the deal with people on her facebook page writing comments as if they knew she was dead as of Feb. 26th within the shared post on Feb 10th about The Psychological Price of Entrepreneurship.

https://www.facebook.com/autumn.radtke?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

Interesting.

Definit

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 07:03:36 PM

Krystal Choo
Today I attended the memorial of a truly beautiful woman. She was amazing. I cannot say that we were the closest of friends. What I can say is that she had a huge heart, and in the few interactions we've had, it was clear that she was a brilliant mind and a humble, giving person.

She thanked me for being open about my struggles just recently - and for the past couple of days I have been asking myself if I simply and massively failed in recognising what could have been a call for help, or an invitation to connect with her pain and in some way, provide the comfort that knowing one is not alone provides. These aren't questions we can ever answer, yet have to live with for the rest of our lives.

Depression is a very real illness. I was depressed and on various drugs and therapy for 8 years. I didn't even know it at the time. I just knew something wasn't right anymore, and went to get help. It was the worst time of my life - not because I was feeling bad, but because I couldn't get out. Being depressed isn't just crying all day. It's an endless pit in the stomach. It is the loss of any kind of hope. It's the shadow that follows you everywhere, everyday. It's a voice that whispers the most seductive, fatal things. And then, it is so much more, and worse, than that.

I was very very blessed to have gotten out of it. Many don't. If you feel something is wrong, tell as many friends as possible, reach out, go to a polyclinic and get a referral to IMH - or go there straight away. It's why I'm open that I still go to therapy once in awhile. I don't want being vulnerable or in pain to be something that is taboo. We don't need to worship heroes and put down others. The mind - and life - is so very fragile. We need to rally together to make seeking help a normal, healthy thing. But sometimes, we don't know what we need. And sometimes, you don't know what someone else needs. The best we can do is create a safe space for everyone to be open, to make it okay to BE helped.

Some illnesses can be seen. Others can't. They are all real. It's okay to not be perfect. Your life is fragile, and precious, and you never know how much impact you have. You can feel like you have nothing anymore, but I assure you that you do, and you're right here, and it won't be like that forever, and I love you, and many others love you, and you - you will be okay. Ask for help. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being human.

RIP and may God bless your soul with the peace it seeks.
February 27 at 9:13am
------------------------------------------Edit----

Krystal Choo
Today, I attended the memorial of a truly beautiful woman. She was amazing. I cannot say that we were the closest of friends. What I can say is that she had a huge heart, and in the few interactions we've had, it was clear that she was a brilliant mind and a humble, giving person.

She thanked me for being open about my struggles just recently - and for the past couple of days I have been asking myself if I simply and massively failed in recognising what could have been a call for help, or an invitation to connect with her pain and in some way, provide the comfort that knowing one is not alone provides. These aren't questions we can ever answer, yet have to live with for the rest of our lives.

Depression is a very real illness. I was depressed and on various drugs and therapy for 8 years. I didn't even know it at the time. I just knew something wasn't right anymore, and went to get help. It was the worst time of my life - not because I was feeling bad, but that I couldn't get out. Because being depressed isn't just crying all day.

It's an endless pit in the stomach. It is the loss of any kind of hope. It's the shadow that follows you everywhere, everyday. It's a voice that whispers the most seductive, fatal things. And then, it is so much more, and worse, than that.

I was very very blessed to have gotten out of it. Many don't. If you feel something is wrong, tell as many friends as possible, reach out, go to a polyclinic and get a referral to IMH - or go there straight away. It's why I'm open that I still go to therapy once in awhile. I don't want being vulnerable or in pain to be something that is taboo. We don't need to worship heroes and put down others. The mind - and life - is so very fragile. We need to rally together to make seeking help a normal, healthy thing. But sometimes, we don't know what we need. And sometimes, you don't know what someone else needs. The best we can do is create a safe space for everyone to be open, to make it okay to BE helped.

Some illnesses can be seen. Others can't. They are all real. It's okay to not be perfect. Your life is fragile, and precious, and you never know how much impact you have. You can feel like you have nothing anymore,

but I assure you that you do,
and you're right here,
it won't be like that forever, and

I love you.
Many love you.
And you?

You will be okay.

Ask for help. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being human.

RIP Autumn, and may God bless your soul with the peace it seeks.
March 2 at 10:02am
------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.facebook.com/krystalchoo

also, Krystal Choo (a friend of Autumns) who has the last comment on her post... Posted this above... one dated for Feb. 27th (with a comment as early as Feb. 27th) and then later edited to show March 2nd.

TheFootMan

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 07:22:18 PM

Never heard of First Meta until now. Did they suffer any losses of bitcoins?

Many people who work with IT take too little care of themselves in general and work too much. Being able to reach out to people in need is not always that easy, most of us are far too busy with our own lives to care of the need of others. Of course, if those in need would explicitly say: "If you don't help me now, I will kill myself, seriously". Then people would probably reach out. But the cries for help are often subtle, and many people appear to be totally fine on the surface, but yet it crumbles beneath the surface.

I know of another woman that were found dead, she had mixed prescription pills and alcohol, and while none of what she took was deadly in itself, the combination was.

I find it hard to understand that somebody at 28 will kill themselves with half or their life remaining, esp. for a person smart and intelligent enough to be a CEO, so it might be just an unfortunate mix of prescription medicine and alcohol for instance, or it could be just that she really struggled and saw no place for here anymore on this earth. In that case the suicide may not be particularly connected to bitcoin, but might've happened no matter what kind of business she would be involved in.

But just to make it perfectly clear:

I think it's an absolute disaster, and my condolences goes out to her family, close ones and friends.

And for anyone else being depressed, just try to do something of the constructive things that makes you happy: Go for a walk, be among friends, play with your pet, do some yoga or lift weights. Things looking bad now, will not always be bad. And life have a lot of good things to offer.
TheFootMan

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 07:25:22 PM

If she was found dead on Feb. 28th, then whats the deal with people on her facebook page writing comments as if they knew she was dead as of Feb. 26th within the shared post on Feb 10th about The Psychological Price of Entrepreneurship.

https://www.facebook.com/autumn.radtke?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

Interesting.

Inaccurate information in news media articles is nothing new. Could be a simple matter of getting the date wrong. For instance if a journalist gets an e-mail the 28th about a suicide that just happened, he might not even get the date right. You see, even CNN talks to the CEO of bitcoin these days...
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 07:34:51 PM

Sad to see someone die at a young age.
Did she have reason for suicide?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 07:38:05 PM

How sad.

Sad

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
riekinho

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 07:52:29 PM

I fail to see how this relates to Bitcoin!

We don't know when it occured, if it has anything to do with her Bitcoin business, if it's a suicide!

The title could have linked the cause of death to any number of things that briefly passed through her life.

Also fascinating that JP Morgan bankers top the list! What could be the possible reason?

TheFootMan

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 08:30:29 PM

Also fascinating that JP Morgan bankers top the list! What could be the possible reason?

How many work for JP Morgan?

How many police officers took their own life in the same time frame ?
How many plumbers took their own life in the same time frame?

While it might look sensational, people take their own lives every day, and the vast majority of them are not bankers.
CryptoPanda

Activity: 882
Merit: 302

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 08:38:53 PM

The question is why Mark isn't doing anything?
baller1

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 08:40:04 PM

I'm genuinely disturbed how many mainstream newspapers are reporting this as "Bitcoin's turmoil claims life".  Op-ed or not, they have no proof this is why this woman sadly killed herself.  Irregardless what turns out to be the reason, this is above and beyond inappropriate and irresponsible.  Editor "Lets see, we got Asia, we got Bitcoin, we got Gox in Asia, she musta committed suicide because of Bitcoin. Print it!"

This is how badly newspaper's (who are no better than TMZ and the National Enquirer these days) backed by banks want to spread FUD? wow.  RIP.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 08:41:58 PM

Never heard of First Meta until now. Did they suffer any losses of bitcoins?

Many people who work with IT take too little care of themselves in general and work too much. Being able to reach out to people in need is not always that easy, most of us are far too busy with our own lives to care of the need of others. Of course, if those in need would explicitly say: "If you don't help me now, I will kill myself, seriously". Then people would probably reach out. But the cries for help are often subtle, and many people appear to be totally fine on the surface, but yet it crumbles beneath the surface.

I know of another woman that were found dead, she had mixed prescription pills and alcohol, and while none of what she took was deadly in itself, the combination was.

I find it hard to understand that somebody at 28 will kill themselves with half or their life remaining, esp. for a person smart and intelligent enough to be a CEO, so it might be just an unfortunate mix of prescription medicine and alcohol for instance, or it could be just that she really struggled and saw no place for here anymore on this earth. In that case the suicide may not be particularly connected to bitcoin, but might've happened no matter what kind of business she would be involved in.

But just to make it perfectly clear:

I think it's an absolute disaster, and my condolences goes out to her family, close ones and friends.

And for anyone else being depressed, just try to do something of the constructive things that makes you happy: Go for a walk, be among friends, play with your pet, do some yoga or lift weights. Things looking bad now, will not always be bad. And life have a lot of good things to offer.

Exercise is great advice, and your whole post is just what people need sometimes.

Definit

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 08:44:46 PM

I'm genuinely disturbed how many mainstream newspapers are reporting this as "Bitcoin's turmoil claims life". Op-ed or not, they have no proof this is why this woman sadly killed herself.  Irregardless what turns out to be the reason.  Really this is above and beyond inappropriate and irresponsible.  Editor "Lets see, we got Asia, we got Bitcoin, we got Gox in Asia, she musta committed suicide because of Bitcoin. Print it!"

This is how badly newspaper's (who are no better than TMZ and the National Enquirer these days) backed by banks want to spread FUD? wow.  RIP.

she was a ceo for a bitcoin company and highly involved with bitcoin.

hence the reason why mainstream newspapers associated her death with bitcoins.

if you read her last post it was obvious she had depression problems due to certain bitcoin events in her life.

has it claimed her life. Yes, weather depression lead to her suicide or not... It has a connection.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 08:45:51 PM

How many work for JP Morgan?

How many police officers took their own life in the same time frame ?
How many plumbers took their own life in the same time frame?

While it might look sensational, people take their own lives every day, and the vast majority of them are not bankers.
I think your right. Having said that, if I worked for JPM, I'd kill myself also.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Mowcore

Activity: 592

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 08:51:48 PM

The reporter is a dick.

It's sick how the media are using her name to try and damage bitcoin.

Insensitive pricks.

Humble Weekly Bundle.Pay What You Want. Redeem on Steam. Support charity. Pay with BTCitcoin now!--> Paypal Sad
TheFootMan

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 09:05:06 PM

I'm genuinely disturbed how many mainstream newspapers are reporting this as "Bitcoin's turmoil claims life". Op-ed or not, they have no proof this is why this woman sadly killed herself.  Irregardless what turns out to be the reason.  Really this is above and beyond inappropriate and irresponsible.  Editor "Lets see, we got Asia, we got Bitcoin, we got Gox in Asia, she musta committed suicide because of Bitcoin. Print it!"

if you read her last post it was obvious she had depression problems due to certain bitcoin events in her life.

has it claimed her life. Yes, weather depression lead to her suicide or not... It has a connection.

If I went to Walmart several times a week, and then I committed suicide, the newsmedia could've spun it as:

"Walmart customer commits suicide"

Then if a Walmart partner commits fraud, they could write: "Walmart associate caught in scam operation".

Or if they do a study, they could conclude that in a certain areas 95% of those committing suicide are Walmart customers, and could've served a headline like: "Walmart makes you committ suicide"

The conclusion is that news media in itself is for a large part of the time a big joke. They push certain agendas, often after instruction from their masters - and often they spin a case so it can become as spectacular as possible.

When people die, the media should have some fucking respect. But no, they uses it to any advantage they see fit, and spin headlines anywhich way they think will sell most newspapers.

So "Overworked CEO with depression committs suicide" vs. "Bitcoin CEO self-slaughter", what do you think the tabloid media will spin?

I think the actions of the media is deplorable, and to a large extent it exists only as a state propaganda machine, and for the enrichment of media moguls owning large media conglomerates. As long as what's served is not truthful and neutral, I frankly see no use of it. That's why I've cut down seriously on news media consumption.

Imagine how much errors the media make about anything when they make lots of errors about things you know something about.

And even stupider than stupid content in the media is the fact that a lot of people become swayed by what they read in the media, even intelligent people who should know a lot better. Wants to stop any bitcoin association because we read something negative about it in the press. God grief. What about stopping being involved with the banks who launder money for narcotics cartels and break all kind of regulations on a regular basis and only get a slap on the wrist?

No - it's like the media always need to run after something, the next big thing to badmouth, the next blabberfest, and once that is finished, the entire cycle repeats itself again. Bread and circus to the people.

Personally I see the media as highly irrelevant (in terms of learning the truth), and if I read something I take it with a grain of salt, as it might not be true at all. It's a good thing that we have internet and that small outfits can chime in, and that not everything is dominated by the big media houses.

People need to think for themselves, but I would think many gladly swallow anything the media serves them. And remember negative and controversial news is what sells.
Definit

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 09:19:10 PM

If I went to Walmart several times a week, and then I committed suicide, the newsmedia could've spun it as:

"Walmart customer commits suicide"

Then if a Walmart partner commits fraud, they could write: "Walmart associate caught in scam operation".

Or if they do a study, they could conclude that in a certain areas 95% of those committing suicide are Walmart customers, and could've served a headline like: "Walmart makes you committ suicide"

The conclusion is that news media in itself is for a large part of the time a big joke. They push certain agendas, often after instruction from their masters - and often they spin a case so it can become as spectacular as possible.

When people die, the media should have some fucking respect. But no, they uses it to any advantage they see fit, and spin headlines anywhich way they think will sell most newspapers.

So "Overworked CEO with depression committs suicide" vs. "Bitcoin CEO self-slaughter", what do you think the tabloid media will spin?

I think the actions of the media is deplorable, and to a large extent it exists only as a state propaganda machine, and for the enrichment of media moguls owning large media conglomerates. As long as what's served is not truthful and neutral, I frankly see no use of it. That's why I've cut down seriously on news media consumption.

Imagine how much errors the media make about anything when they make lots of errors about things you know something about.

And even stupider than stupid content in the media is the fact that a lot of people become swayed by what they read in the media, even intelligent people who should know a lot better. Wants to stop any bitcoin association because we read something negative about it in the press. God grief. What about stopping being involved with the banks who launder money for narcotics cartels and break all kind of regulations on a regular basis and only get a slap on the wrist?

No - it's like the media always need to run after something, the next big thing to badmouth, the next blabberfest, and once that is finished, the entire cycle repeats itself again. Bread and circus to the people.

Personally I see the media as highly irrelevant (in terms of learning the truth), and if I read something I take it with a grain of salt, as it might not be true at all. It's a good thing that we have internet and that small outfits can chime in, and that not everything is dominated by the big media houses.

People need to think for themselves, but I would think many gladly swallow anything the media serves them. And remember negative and controversial news is what sells.

dude calm down, it say's in headline's "First Meta CEO found dead in suspected suicide"

1. First Meta CEO (she was)
2. Found Dead (she was)
3. In suspected suicide (possibly-pending)

or "American Bitcoin exchange CEO found dead in her Singapore home after suspected suicide at age 28"

1. American (she was)
2. Bitcoin Exchange CEO (she was)
3. Found Dead (she was)
4. In Her Singapore home (she was)
5. After suspected suicide (possibly-pending)
6. At Age 28 (she was)

I dont see anything outlandish about those headlines tbh. Far more truthful then either of your selected headlines
"Overworked CEO with depression committs suicide"
1. Overworked (possible)
2. CEO (She was)
3. Depression (possible)
4. Commits Suicide (possible)

vs. "Bitcoin CEO self-slaughter"
1. Bitcoin CEO (She Was)
2. Self-Slaughter (possible)

As for your walmart analogy... terrible. a walmart customer is different then.... hmm.. say... comparing it to Walmart CEO maybe? And if that happened guess what the news would read out like? You GUESSED IT!

Just because there's negativity such as death in the same sentence as bitcoins does not mean they are trying to sway votes away from bitcoins. Sometimes, it means exactly what they are saying. How uninformative would the news be in this case if it mentioned nothing about her being a ceo for a bitcoin company and mentioned nothing bitcoins? I would say that would look more suspicious then to have mentioned it.

Grow some balls and deal with it. 
awesomeami

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 11:25:07 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=502732.0

Not so fast ...
And it belonds to Press - IMHO.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: