Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:28:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: First Meta CEO found dead suspected of suicide  (Read 6391 times)
baller1

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 11:27:22 PM

I'm genuinely disturbed how many mainstream newspapers are reporting this as "Bitcoin's turmoil claims life". Op-ed or not, they have no proof this is why this woman sadly killed herself.  Irregardless what turns out to be the reason.  Really this is above and beyond inappropriate and irresponsible.  Editor "Lets see, we got Asia, we got Bitcoin, we got Gox in Asia, she musta committed suicide because of Bitcoin. Print it!"

This is how badly newspaper's (who are no better than TMZ and the National Enquirer these days) backed by banks want to spread FUD? wow.  RIP.

she was a ceo for a bitcoin company and highly involved with bitcoin.

hence the reason why mainstream newspapers associated her death with bitcoins.

if you read her last post it was obvious she had depression problems due to certain bitcoin events in her life.

has it claimed her life. Yes, weather depression lead to her suicide or not... It has a connection.

Your use of the word hence presumes as much as the NY post.
I thought my use of quotes from the actual piece would suffice in saying this isn't an "association".. this is their exact quote.
"Bitcoin's turmoil has claimed it's first life"
I actually shortened the quote the first time, not realizing it's even more sensational than her parents could have ever wanted..
Is Bitcoin claiming lives now? Only on its first??.  Is this a newspaper's way of claiming "first" on a topic.

No one can say for sure she committed suicide because of Bitcoin's "turmoil", Which you've ascertained about 10 times in your two posts.

....isn't Bitcoin still up about 30% since.. like beginning of Nov.?  
I know of a few traders who wish they had that kind of Quarter.. Hasn't it already "recovered" from Gox?

Perhaps it will come out as that, (we're not even sure she committed suicide yet) perhaps she had ties to Gox that were crushing..Perhaps. Perhaps.
but to conclude such when someone has just taken their life is presumptuous and sensationalism as best, and feeding an agenda and a troth of sheep at worse,
we should all expect..no.. demand.. better from news journalists.
The Daily Mail (shockingly) even wrote "we don't know why yet."

..oh and you're a luddite to follow those sheep who follow that mindset. (he is)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 02:18:22 AM

Just now saw the headline via Google News. You'll never guess which person went through my mind upon reading just the title--the Magic: the Gathering of Bitcoins golden boy. I was shocked to read that it was a woman. I've never heard of First Meta until a few minutes a go. Hope that doesn't mean that I'm outta the loop.
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 02:27:56 AM

Just now saw the headline via Google News. You'll never guess which person went through my mind upon reading just the title--the Magic: the Gathering of Bitcoins golden boy. I was shocked to read that it was a woman. I've never heard of First Meta until a few minutes a go. Hope that doesn't mean that I'm outta the loop.

I bet 95% of members here havent heard of First Meta. So you're ok....

Now can you tell us where Mark is? That fat fuck should die instead of this beautiful woman
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 02:30:30 AM

If she was found dead on Feb. 28th, then whats the deal with people on her facebook page writing comments as if they knew she was dead as of Feb. 26th within the shared post on Feb 10th about The Psychological Price of Entrepreneurship.

https://www.facebook.com/autumn.radtke?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

Interesting.

WTF!

I may not have known of Autumn, but I sure the hell knew of Johann Gevers: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=112492.0 He showed up here after I penned about 3 suicides related to Laissez Faire City, Sonny Vleisides' old entity. He was the one that did the audit after its demise. In the long ass audit, he never once mentions Sonny's name, only always referring to him as The Silver King, et al.'s son.

Johann Gevers

Thanks for sharing, Autumn—I've certainly experienced my share of what the article talks about!
February 10 at 7:14am

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 02:49:10 AM

The first thing that Autumn ever did on her FB page was 'like' https://www.facebook.com/geodelic

Scroll down a tad and you find...

Surely, she was wasn't the waitress in Hawaii that paid for a certain $100K ticket with bitcoins. Or is she?
LostDutchman

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 02:54:34 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gO7uemm6Yo

Sad

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 03:23:39 AM

Definitely out of the loop Phinn.

WSJ reported the story last week when it happened.

blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/02/27/american-ceo-of-singapore-startup-first-meta-dies/

reddit noticed it at the time.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1z2fi1//autumn_radtke_ceo_of_first_meta_a_singaporebased

What's kind of interesting is that so many Bitcoiners only seem to be hearing about this now that it's been picked up by the mainstream media which they claim to avoid like the plague.

Her death was reported on 27 February Asian time, the day before MtGox filed court papers - the early reports suggest that she may have died the previous night (26 February).

http://www.techinasia.com/meta-ceo-autumn-radkte-commited-suicide/

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 03:42:29 AM

Definitely out of the loop Phinn.

WSJ reported the story last week when it happened.

blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/02/27/american-ceo-of-singapore-startup-first-meta-dies/

reddit noticed it at the time.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1z2fi1//autumn_radtke_ceo_of_first_meta_a_singaporebased

What's kind of interesting is that so many Bitcoiners only seem to be hearing about this now that it's been picked up by the mainstream media which they claim to avoid like the plague.

Her death was reported on 27 February Asian time, the day before MtGox filed court papers - the early reports suggest that she may have died the previous night (26 February).

http://www.techinasia.com/meta-ceo-autumn-radkte-commited-suicide/

Thanks, bud. Just got up to speed, myself.

Autumn sure did do a lot of traveling.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:00:12 AM

I really doubt the death had anything to do with Bitcoin directly. There are many weak hands that don't bother to learn what Bitcoin is and only trade it, but never secure it in a wallet. Incompetent investors invest (gamble) what they cannot afford, only to lose on what they do not fully understand. I doubt she was either of these. Nothing personal, but my participation in Bitcoin is tainted by cowards even more than scammers. I would rather be tortured and beaten to death by a Bitcoin hating dictator while I laughed in his face, than give my detractors in Bitcoin the satisfaction of making me a statistic.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
SGExodus

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:58:30 AM

Except that First Meta isn't a bitcoin exchange.   

First Meta has been around a long time dealing with Linden Dollar, and some IMVU credits stuff, but nothing on Bitcoin.

Retarded journalism and retarded news cross-posting without fact check.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 06:10:37 AM

First Meta has been around a long time dealing with Linden Dollar, and some IMVU credits stuff, but nothing on Bitcoin.

I'm not sure what definition of exchange you're using, but...

http://blog.firstmeta.com/author/veronica

Hey guys,

Ever wanted to sell your Bitcoins for US$ easily and quickly? Now you can do it at First Meta in just 3 simple steps and get your funds in your PayPal account within 24 hours! Simply…

visit our Bitcoin converter
enter the amount of Bitcoin to convert and your PayPal e-mail address, and..
wait for the money to appear in your PayPal account!
Now you can go shopping on any PayPal-enabled merchant with your Bitcoins! Alternatively, how about buying some game currencies with your Bitcoins?
SGExodus

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 07:52:27 AM

Hey guys,

Ever wanted to sell your Bitcoins for US$ easily and quickly? Now you can do it at First Meta in just 3 simple steps and get your funds in your PayPal account within 24 hours! Simply…

Now you can go shopping on any PayPal-enabled merchant with your Bitcoins! Alternatively, how about buying some game currencies with your Bitcoins?

How hard for you to click on the link and see the actual Firstmeta website yourself? 
cimine

Activity: 39

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 08:29:54 AM

If she was found dead on Feb. 28th, then whats the deal with people on her facebook page writing comments as if they knew she was dead as of Feb. 26th within the shared post on Feb 10th about The Psychological Price of Entrepreneurship.

https://www.facebook.com/autumn.radtke?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

Interesting.

Could be just time differences?

http://s14.postimg.org/qjhxvqicx/comments.png

See more on this here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=503490.0
cimine

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 08:32:48 AM

We don't know when it occured, if it has anything to do with her Bitcoin business, if it's a suicide!

Is it even appropriate to call this a "bitcoin business"?  And it wasn't hers, investors hired her to run it.  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=503490.0
cimine

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 08:37:54 AM

I bet 95% of members here havent heard of First Meta. So you're ok....

Probably because the company she headed didn't have hardly anything to do with bitcoin and as of now is not engaged in trading it at all.
cimine

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 08:50:52 AM

Hey guys,

How hard for you to click on the link and see the actual Firstmeta website yourself? 

Yes do click on the link and check their "Bitcoin Converter" for yourself:  htttp://firstmetaexchange.com/bitcoinconverter    Huh Huh Huh Huh

http://s27.postimg.org/e82n2sg1v/image.png
cimine

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 08:54:36 AM

Going a little off topic but what the hell.  It's not  unknown for obvious murders to be labeled suicide in Singapore either through gross incompetence - whether the incompetence is in finding the true cause of death or putting together a believable coverup is left up to the reader to decide.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/afbddb44-7640-11e2-8eb6-00144feabdc0.html
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2014, 09:29:56 PM

Did she, or didn't she jump from an high-rise building?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2014, 08:44:49 PM

http://nypost.com/2014/03/05/bitcoin-firm-ceo-found-dead-in-suspected-suicide/

It appears bitcoin’s recent turmoil has claimed its first life.

Autumn Ratke a 28-year-old American CEO of bitcoin exchange firm First Meta was found dead in her Singapore apartment on Feb. 28.

Local media are calling it a suicide, but Singapore officials are waiting for toxicology test results.
Ratke formerly worked with Apple and other Silicon Valley tech firms on developing digital payment systems.

Ratke’s death brings the number of questionable financial sector deaths this year to eight.
On Feb. 18 a 33-year-old JPMorgan finance pro leaped to his death the roof of the JPMorgan’s 30-story Hong Kong office tower.
Modal Trigger

Photo: Facebook

Li Junjie’s suicide marked the third mysterious death of a JPMorgan banker. So far, there is no other known link between any of the deaths.

Gabriel Magee, 39, a vice president with the JPMorgan’s corporate and investment bank technology arm in the UK, also jumped to his death from the roof of the bank’s 33-story Canary Wharf tower in London on Jan. 28.

On Feb. 3, Ryan Henry Crane, 37, a JPM executive director who worked in New York, was found dead inside his Stamford, Conn., home.

A cause of death in Crane’s case has not be determined until a toxicology report is complete, according to a spokesperson for the Stamford detectives division.

The report is expected within two weeks.

Two other bankers have also taken their lives outside of JPMorgan.

On Jan. 31, Mike Dueker — the chief economist at Russell Investments and former Federal Reserve bank economist — was found dead at the side of a road that leads to the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in Washington state, according to the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department. He was 50.

On Jan. 26, William Broeksmit, 58, a former senior risk manager at Deutsche Bank, was found hanging in a house in South Kensington, according to London police.

Amazing how this only got noticed on BitcoinTalk a week later, in spite of GoCoin sharing the same office as First Meta. I still say Mark Karpeles' cat knows something.
JamesSchofield

Activity: 21

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 12:33:20 AM

http://nypost.com/2014/03/05/bitcoin-firm-ceo-found-dead-in-suspected-suicide/

It appears bitcoin’s recent turmoil has claimed its first life.

Autumn Ratke a 28-year-old American CEO of bitcoin exchange firm First Meta was found dead in her Singapore apartment on Feb. 28.

Local media are calling it a suicide, but Singapore officials are waiting for toxicology test results.
Ratke formerly worked with Apple and other Silicon Valley tech firms on developing digital payment systems.

Ratke’s death brings the number of questionable financial sector deaths this year to eight.
On Feb. 18 a 33-year-old JPMorgan finance pro leaped to his death the roof of the JPMorgan’s 30-story Hong Kong office tower.
Modal Trigger

Photo: Facebook

Li Junjie’s suicide marked the third mysterious death of a JPMorgan banker. So far, there is no other known link between any of the deaths.

Gabriel Magee, 39, a vice president with the JPMorgan’s corporate and investment bank technology arm in the UK, also jumped to his death from the roof of the bank’s 33-story Canary Wharf tower in London on Jan. 28.

On Feb. 3, Ryan Henry Crane, 37, a JPM executive director who worked in New York, was found dead inside his Stamford, Conn., home.

A cause of death in Crane’s case has not be determined until a toxicology report is complete, according to a spokesperson for the Stamford detectives division.

The report is expected within two weeks.

Two other bankers have also taken their lives outside of JPMorgan.

On Jan. 31, Mike Dueker — the chief economist at Russell Investments and former Federal Reserve bank economist — was found dead at the side of a road that leads to the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in Washington state, according to the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department. He was 50.

On Jan. 26, William Broeksmit, 58, a former senior risk manager at Deutsche Bank, was found hanging in a house in South Kensington, according to London police.

Say... 'Theres Been a Murdah' in a Scottish accent and you will know the truth.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: