Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:13:32 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Grow your own food  (Read 2529 times)
Kiki112

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 10:22:38 PM

My family has an urban garden, lots of vegetables there Cheesy

we almost don't need to buy any vegetables on the market..

I must say, they don't look as good as the ones in the store (because they color them to look better) but they are a lot more delecious, more quality and healthier Cheesy

skilo

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 03:04:05 AM

I have been thinking about going semi-vegiterian, Maybe just eating meat for breakfast (I don't think i could give up eating bacon It's just too tasty) but for lunch and dinner just eat vegies and fruits.

Vegies are much cheaper than meats and much heathlier than junk food snacks that offer no nutritional benefit at all.

I grew some tomatoes and squash last year and with only 5 plants it was more than i could eat, I had to give most of it away.
Khadaji

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 03:11:00 PM

I grew some tomatoes and squash last year and with only 5 plants it was more than i could eat, I had to give most of it away.

I dice up my Zuchini and put it in the freezer... I then add it to soups and chili all year round... (I still have plenty to give away, but only if they ask for it)

I was giving away tomatoes, I had so many, but this year, I plan to make spaghetti sauce, and can it. (or is the correct phrase, 'jar' it?)

Really good spaghetti sauce has shot up in price so much, it would be financially worthwhile to can my own sauce.
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 03:16:43 PM

Growing your own vegetables and fruits is the best thing to do for your health this days,yes some of them it takes a lot of time to grow,but the taste and the satisfaction that is grown by you beats the waiting.My family owns a small part of land and they made a structure of wood and plastic and they grow there,even in the winter tomatoes,salad,carrots,parsley,potatoes,garlic,onion,peas,beans,cucumber
and a lot of herbs,and they don't use chemicals,the secret is to water them daily. I know that in the city you can't do this but I have ,like 10  flowerpots, in witch i have all the time fresh parsley,cherry tomatoes,chilly peppers and herbs.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
am

Activity: 23

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2014, 05:35:51 PM

Soyent is the kind of solution I'd like to see more of in regards to the food problem.
dotcom

Activity: 354

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 10:50:58 PM

This is Switzerland, maybe it's time we did the same:

Switzerlands an RTS?!?
durrrr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 01:08:40 AM

I have always wanted to grow my own food. and have a huge garden and harvest all my vegetables myself fresh and even have potatoes and carrots and stuff and corn. maybe some chickens too it would be awesome and such better food

general lee

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 01:12:38 PM

There are a number of reasons you should do this and there wouldn't be a better time to get started than now.

1. Nearly all food in supermarkets are GMOs and chalk full of pesticides at the least.  Save yourself and your family the trouble of ingesting toxins.
2. Self sufficiency starts at home, if we all grew our own food we would be able to sustain our own lives even in the presence of scarcity.
3. It is both relaxing and enjoying to take a break from destroying life and creating life instead.
4. You will save money by growing your own crops.
5. The produce will be as fresh as it gets.

If you have the land to grow food, I implore you to do so.  Maybe even talk to your neighbors and promote a food sharing network between each other.

http://erasinglawnraisingbounty.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/swissurbangardenplots.jpg

Anyway you can produce only 15-20% of products, so you would buy about 80% in supermarket. Also you will spend a lot of time for it.....
dank (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 07:01:13 PM

I have always wanted to grow my own food. and have a huge garden and harvest all my vegetables myself fresh and even have potatoes and carrots and stuff and corn. maybe some chickens too it would be awesome and such better food

Chickens would be dope.  Unlimited eggs.

Anyway you can produce only 15-20% of products, so you would buy about 80% in supermarket. Also you will spend a lot of time for it.....

Why can't you produce 100% of your food?  And we can't we get what we didn't produce ourselves from neighbors?

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
reginalkri

Activity: 285

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 02:59:59 AM

I really want to grow my own food. If only I lived somewhere where I could.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 04:17:11 AM

Switzerland looks great.
They have a lot of mountains so the growing season might be very short in large areas of the country.

Grow your own food is solid advice for people who can do it.

ShitHappens

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

“Everyone Is A Bank”

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 06:59:16 PM

Your own food is much more safe and healthy. I'd like to grow it!

BABB          |[     BANK ACCOUNT BASED BLOCKCHAIN     ]|       Everyone is a bank
▬                       JOIN TOKEN SALE                       ▬
▬▬▬▬▬     JOIN THE COMMUNITY    |    Telegram     ▬▬▬▬▬
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 05:03:16 AM

It is a good point brought up by the OP.  I'd like to get a garden growing this year for sure.  The GMO problem is so widespread in the supermarkets it would seem that growing your own non gmo is a no brainier.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 05:05:44 AM

Grow your own food
OK I am ready.
Warmer weather is coming / need time // seeds / water // clean soil... Oops...

1btcdream

Activity: 393
Merit: 297

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 02:59:23 PM

By growing your own food organically you can be sure that it will be safe and free from pesticide or any other chemicals that can be found on non-organic foods. Let's promote healthy living!
ledmaniak

Activity: 266

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 04:18:07 PM

It is a good point brought up by the OP.  I'd like to get a garden growing this year for sure.  The GMO problem is so widespread in the supermarkets it would seem that growing your own non gmo is a no brainier.
Did you know there was almost a law passed in the EU that would have prevented people from growing food from their own plant seeds? It was a lobby done by a huge company that does a lot of GMO and delivers about 90% of all seeds. Luckily it failed.

Bitcoin: 1Cxi8BLvScSm1mW6kjb5MNeJZPrvAiYL6B
Litecoin: LLmjtrrq1ZeD51NSUJ8VanuQduW8Ma3jrs
Satterfield

Activity: 39

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 04:22:20 PM

Yes I have vegetable farm and I grew lot vegetables there like tomatoes,potatoes and other vegetables.
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 04:43:50 PM

There are a number of reasons you should do this and there wouldn't be a better time to get started than now.

1. Nearly all food in supermarkets are GMOs and chalk full of pesticides at the least.  Save yourself and your family the trouble of ingesting toxins.
2. Self sufficiency starts at home, if we all grew our own food we would be able to sustain our own lives even in the presence of scarcity.
3. It is both relaxing and enjoying to take a break from destroying life and creating life instead.
4. You will save money by growing your own crops.
5. The produce will be as fresh as it gets.

If you have the land to grow food, I implore you to do so.  Maybe even talk to your neighbors and promote a food sharing network between each other.

This is a good universal advice.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/seed-bank
http://www.non-hybrid-seeds.com/sp/seed-packs/survival-seed-vault.html?gclid=CJ2ZgOibvb0CFcRefgodL5YARg
http://www.etsy.com/listing/120594573/32000-heirloom-seed-bank-over-34-popular?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_promoted&utm_campaign=plants_and_edibles_mid&gclid=CLfO1vybvb0CFVJffgodUrwAcQ
sana8410

Activity: 448

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 10:15:50 AM

Determine what crops you can raise in your location, Understand how a growing season plays out,  Select the crops and varieties that are suitable to your growing region.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
practicaldreamer

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 05:18:15 PM

Determine what crops you can raise in your location,

The bad news is that I only ever have any real success with broad beans - the good news is, I absolutely love broad beans  Cheesy

Finding a source of decent manure is a problem I think. If you are paying for it then the whole enterprise can become uneconomic, albeit GM free. But to be honest the whole GM thing doesn't bother me - much ado about nothing.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: