Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:58:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion to help stop spamming.  (Read 1791 times)
nahtnam (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 05:39:13 AM

I have a simple suggestion for the forum to help stop spamming as mentioned in this topic. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=484259

My idea is to simply have a button next to the "Report to Moderator" that says "Mark as Spam". If more than 5 Sr.Member or higher click that button, the posts "hides". People have the option of viewing the post, but that post does not count towards the users post count.

I hope this makes sense. Feel free to add or propose your own ideas!

IamCANADIAN013

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 05:48:43 AM

I have a simple suggestion for the forum to help stop spamming as mentioned in this topic. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=484259

My idea is to simply have a button next to the "Report to Moderator" that says "Mark as Spam". If more than 5 Sr.Member or higher click that button, the posts "hides". People have the option of viewing the post, but that post does not count towards the users post count.

It does make sense, and I like the idea.  I really don't know a lot about these boards, but is it even something that can be implemented?

I'm not a fan of the new sig rules to try to curb spam as it hurts people like me who try to make constructive posts without spamming.  I think there should also be a penalty added to this system as well.  After so many "hides" the person receives a warning, suspension, etc.  However it works around here when it comes to penalties.

The only concern I see is that it could be abused. Obviously if it's SR. members and higher the chance would be a lot less for abuse, but its still a possibility.  It's a step in the right direction I think, and far better than the current solution.
nahtnam (OP)
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 05:57:35 AM

It does make sense, and I like the idea.  I really don't know a lot about these boards, but is it even something that can be implemented?

I'm not a fan of the new sig rules to try to curb spam as it hurts people like me who try to make constructive posts without spamming.  I think there should also be a penalty added to this system as well.  After so many "hides" the person receives a warning, suspension, etc.  However it works around here when it comes to penalties.

The only concern I see is that it could be abused. Obviously if it's SR. members and higher the chance would be a lot less for abuse, but its still a possibility.  It's a step in the right direction I think, and far better than the current solution.

If it does get abused, it could be changed to only hero members...

rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 06:09:41 AM

Must say you have a very good suggestion ..! I read so many suggestions about minimizing spam , and have to say this is one of the best I read till now..! If i have to add any suggestion i'll say if someone get caught spamming they  must get a Warning too and one someone get 5or10 warnings they are banned..!
The warnings should be displayed like we see Trust below the UserName and DP. like if someone is caught spamming 2times it should Display WARNINGS:2

Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 06:10:52 AM

The abuse is going to come from any membership level regardless of what you set it at. There are people childish enough on this forum to abuse such a function to have a post of another person they despise enough being hidden. This is more so for the people who are rather stubborn on their views and radical (there are quite a few of these people around) which would see these peoples opinions be hidden. As much as I dislike some of the crap that these people post it isn't spam.
nahtnam (OP)
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 06:11:17 AM

Must say you have a very good suggestion ..! I read so many suggestions about minimizing spam , and have to say this is one of the best I read till now..! If i have to add any suggestion i'll say if someone get caught spamming they  must get a Warning too and one someone get 5or10 warnings they are banned..!

Personally I think banning should be done by humans. The forum should not auto ban users. Maybe after 5-10 spam posts,  they get reported to the mods, but not automatically banned.

nahtnam (OP)
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 06:12:10 AM

The abuse is going to come from any membership level regardless of what you set it at. There are people childish enough on this forum to abuse such a function to have a post of another person they despise enough being hidden. This is more so for the people who are rather stubborn on their views and radical (there are quite a few of these people around) which would see these peoples opinions be hidden. As much as I dislike some of the crap that these people post it isn't spam.

That is one big downside to the issue though... I will try to come up with more ways...

rohnearner

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 06:15:49 AM

Must say you have a very good suggestion ..! I read so many suggestions about minimizing spam , and have to say this is one of the best I read till now..! If i have to add any suggestion i'll say if someone get caught spamming they  must get a Warning too and one someone get 5or10 warnings they are banned..!

Personally I think banning should be done by humans. The forum should not auto ban users. Maybe after 5-10 spam posts,  they get reported to the mods, but not automatically banned.
Moderators are human aren't they Tongue
They are the one who will review every Marked Spam post and will decide weather the claim is true or not.. ! But i guess thats lil too much work for Forum Moderators..? is it..?

rohnearner

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 06:17:48 AM

That is one big downside to the issue though... I will try to come up with more ways...
The ultimate decisions on weather the post is spam or not should be taken by Mods members can only mark the post, nd I think Mods are unbiased nd they will take the right decision ..!

Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 06:29:06 AM

Personally, I don't think community moderation will ever truly work. There are far too many trolls on the internet (most of them young kids) which means that some of the good, informative posts may be pulled down. That would be bad for a site such as this one where half of the posts are pretty bad already to begin with.
IamCANADIAN013

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 06:30:05 AM

If it does get abused, it could be changed to only hero members...

There must be a way to block certain members from the feature if they do abuse it.  Have some kind of trusted list of members or something that can use the feature. almost like giving them partial mod status or something.

I can see it having growing pain in the beginning that would have to be monitored closely, but over time I can see it being a very good system.
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 08:09:32 AM

I agree with this as I made the same suggestion in that topic see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=484259.msg5536136#msg5536136. My suggestion didn't go as far as to auto-hide posts based on some threshold consensus. Perhaps if it was auto-hidden then the moderator would be able to step in and either re-enable it or confirm deletion.

Would be nice if this could be added and trialled - of course it could be abused, and most frustratingly I believe that paid ad users will be targeted unfairly.

txbt

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 08:12:23 AM

I think it can work if it's done by selected Sr. Members or higher, so the right to mark a post as spam is not given automatically by ranks mentioned.

Personally, I don't think community moderation will ever truly work. There are far too many trolls on the internet (most of them young kids) which means that some of the good, informative posts may be pulled down. That would be bad for a site such as this one where half of the posts are pretty bad already to begin with.

It will probably never work perfectly considering the human factor involved. But if applied with "moderation" (caution) by selected members it could improve the forum quality.

1WXXstjXvsfV1U2wSVwDACqqYrpK12W3g
rohnearner

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 08:32:41 AM

I think it can work if it's done by selected Sr. Members or higher, so the right to mark a post as spam is not given automatically by ranks mentioned.

It will probably never work perfectly considering the human factor involved. But if applied with "moderation" (caution) by selected members it could improve the forum quality.
Suggestions are good but will it be feasible .? will it be possible to execute it only admin/staff can answer.. !

EFS
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 2100

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 12:04:34 PM

That's why we have Report to moderator button. If you think a post is spam, report it. People rarely report posts, that's main problem.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
rohnearner

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 12:21:15 PM

That's why we have Report to moderator button. If you think a post is spam, report it. People rarely report posts, that's main problem.
Hmm so do we need more mods then we already have.? do we need more volunteers , because there are almost 100threads staring every minute and 10X times post , that  is a lot for moderator to handle ..!

Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 03:06:32 PM

Could that possible be because the Report to moderator button presents barriers to users? I am a user of the button, I don't care that they know my email address but some users might care if they know theirs.

nahtnam (OP)
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 03:10:38 PM

So this button can be used on a daily basis? I never use it unless it is offensive and spam...

brush242

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:11:21 PM

OhdearJeebusyes. Exactly. Well said.

You really can't ever give the "mob" such control for the reasons noted above. All you do then, no matter what the level of the whiner, is force the actual moderators to pay attention to who is pushing the button, how often, and against who, and then having to decide of there is a pattern or vendetta there.

Rest assured there are ALWAYS holier-than-thou dogooders who will hide things they find offensive, or they dislike the tone, or it isn't family friendy, or they just "feel" that x post isn't "proper" for this forum. You people know who you are.

Support sidehack miner development. Donations to: 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 05:24:03 PM

The root of the problem is people spamming for higher payout from sig ads. What I suggest is to build a spammer list and anyone on that list must not be accepted into any sig ad campaigns.

How we build that list is debatable, but we can start with member marking spams posts with a spam button as suggested. Moderators can review the posts that member writes in a 2 week period. If spamming is consistent, give a warning. If warning is ignored, add the member onto the list for a set period, let's say a month.

Mods can also add a new 'Spammer' member group where no sigs are allowed and posting delay of 6 minutes, for all time king of spam  Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: