Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:38:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Facebook " Likes " Psychology behind it ?  (Read 175 times)
ibrar.noman (OP)

Activity: 67
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 07:41:49 AM
Last edit: September 25, 2018, 08:37:00 AM by ibrar.noman

Why people wants more and more  likes and comments on their post on  facebook , i want to understand the psychology behind it ?.
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Helana

Activity: 80
Merit: 71

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 11:25:26 AM

Why people wants more and more  likes and comments on their post on  facebook , i want to understand the psychology behind it ?.

Well, probably it is just another new way of addiction. I mean: in this abstract world, relationships are now working as a kind of pathological-video-game, where everybody needs public recognition in order to feed their ego. Many people have fallen in the "like" trap, as the only way of looking at themselves as someone "successful". The problem behind that is precisely what this "success" implies: a fallacy. There is no real success behind a screen, but on every single act, you do in your life. So, maybe, to be hidden behind the likes you receive every single day is just another way of running from your personal frustrations.

Now, this "cyberlife" can also be seen as a way of control. However it can be looked like just an entertainment, or, as many people claim: " a way of communication", or "a tool", I think this is far more complicated than this: if you convince the people to share everything they do, probably you have all the power you need in your hands: sensible information. Facebook, many times, has been accused of using algorithms to get the people depressed, for instance. Why? because it is better for any business to maintain the people depressed, they will buy whatever shit you offer just with the hope of feeling better.

So... the psychology behind the like, and coming back to your central question, is an addiction, I think. Facebook is working as a new and great necessity for people to feel recognized, to feel a part of something, and, at the same time, it is being used to manipulate the people into a new way of thinking, into a new way of necessity, of shopping, of having a single opinion. It is just the perfect "social mind shaper", and a huge addiction.
m.roth

Activity: 44
Merit: 5

/be the change/

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 02:16:31 PM

Social status (online) became the new definition of being successful. Other than the social status in the real world, the likes help to measure it "objectively" and make it easy to compare yourself with others. Usually, it should make you feel better if you earn a lot of likes, the problem is that most people compare themselves with "superior" individuals what decreases their well being and self-esteem.
lightcar

Activity: 111
Merit: 2

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 02:27:25 PM

Social status (online) became the new definition of being successful. Other than the social status in the real world, the likes help to measure it "objectively" and make it easy to compare yourself with others. Usually, it should make you feel better if you earn a lot of likes, the problem is that most people compare themselves with "superior" individuals what decreases their well being and self-esteem.

People on facebook are just "fronting" they make their lives seem better then they really are but they are usually unhappy inside.  Facebook and social media are cancerous to our society.
3lyntmy

Activity: 154
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 26, 2018, 06:03:05 AM

for my opinion,they want to become fb famous ppl, then can earn advertising fees  Grin
FilesFM_Announcements
Copper Member

Activity: 224
Merit: 14

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2018, 12:46:37 PM

There is a lot of gamification, and psychological experimentation behind the user experience of facebook. I have no doubt in my mind they spend a lot of money on focus groups, producing heat maps, psychologists working out what ways we can retain a persons attention and participation in the facebooks social network.

files.fm library ✦ 
P2P File Catalog & Marketplace with AI and Blockchain Payments
WHITEPAPER ◉ ─────  Bounty ♦️  Bitcointalk ♦️  Telegram ♦️  Facebook ♦️  Medium ♦️  YouTube ♦️  Twitter ♦️  Reddit  ───── ◉ WHITELIST
SneakyLady

Activity: 114
Merit: 2

View Profile
September 26, 2018, 07:32:18 PM

People are constantly looking for approval from others. If it's not social media, it's putting effort into physical appearance, educational status, and job titles. We need to be constantly reassured that our life is cool and enviable. Likes and alerts makes us feel relevant and loved.

Illusion is more important than reality.
RGarrison2018

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 03:28:13 AM

It works very similarly to other forms of addiction.  Facebook "Likes" (or Instagram, etc.) give your brain a little hit of dopamine, and you return to get more again and again. 

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/mar/04/has-dopamine-got-us-hooked-on-tech-facebook-apps-addiction

Now, if you'll excuse me, I gotta go check my Facebook.   Wink
Panasony

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 07:20:25 AM

They want to many like because they like the most comment and know them.
Amadeo33

Activity: 126
Merit: 5

View Profile
October 12, 2018, 05:29:46 PM

I think that because of likes, people are starting to feel significant. If they could not be realized in real life, they are realized on Facebook.
Becksinsky

Activity: 233

View Profile
October 12, 2018, 07:17:41 PM

Maybe these people do not have enough attention in their personal lives? Perhaps they had little attention in childhood from their parents.
AlligatorBites

Activity: 28

View Profile
October 13, 2018, 01:23:56 AM

In this age of social media, we are living in a phenomenon of "positive feedback". When a person posts in facebook, those "likes" give him or her a sense of approval. In search for this pleasanf feeling again, in the future, that person will be motivated to post again. I think that is the psychology behind it. Scientifically speaking, if you wanna know the biology behind it, I've read that once a person feels that sense of approval from the likes and comments, Endorphins, a chemical in the body is being released. This is the "happy hormone" responsible for good and pleasant mood. This is what people get from likes.
Sherwood_Archer

Activity: 126
Merit: 3

View Profile
October 13, 2018, 05:32:35 PM

It could be for many reasons. There are people who collect Likes so that in the future they can monetize their accounts or pages; be an influencer or something. Then, of course, there are people who are simply famewhores and just want people to admire them. I think it's the same way that there are people in school who dress up always in fashion who want to be always in the popular group. It gives them a sense of acceptance, adulation, admiration, whatever you want to call it. It can be addicting the same way cigarettes or drugs are, or even browsing the internet or playing online games. There are people who spend endless hours just browsing on Instagram and Facebook. Then there are people who want to be the being "browsed on".
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: