Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 02:29:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to give Bitcoins for birthdays / Christmas / weddings / etc.  (Read 1688 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2011, 09:54:33 PM

As it might appear in a greeting card:

"My gift to you this year is a coin worth 25 Bitcoins.  What you should do with your Bitcoins is put them in a safe place for a very long time, or until you find something better to do with them first.

"Bitcoin is a grassroots currency project and I am a fan of it.  It was created by an anonymous guy on the Internet in 2009, and has mushroomed into something much bigger.  You can Google it and read more.  Although the 25 Bitcoin piece I am giving you is only worth $100 today, it was worth less than a dollar in 2010, and last June, it could have easily been sold for well over $500.  The value fluctuates up and down, much like stocks or gold, sometimes slowly sometimes quickly, and you can always see what it's worth online any time.

"In the end, no one really knows what they're going to be worth five years from now.  They probably won't be worth what they're worth now.  They will probably either become worth absolutely nothing, or they might become worth a fortune.

"As you can imagine, I am part of the camp that believes they'll be worth a fortune, and I want to share a piece of that with you.  

"So stick this in your piggy bank and don't forget it's there.  If I turn out to be wrong, you'll have a nice shiny reminder that I'm not as smart as I think I am.  And if I turn out to be right, you can thank me again later.

"Merry Christmas / Happy Birthday / Happy Hanukkah / etc...."

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1155

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2011, 10:26:05 PM

This is a fantastic idea,  and a very well written letter!

Buy them today for bitcoins at www.casascius.com

or with Paypal or Credit card at http://www.memorydealers.com/bieq.html

Tuxavant

Activity: 784
Merit: 1010

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2011, 01:16:50 AM

I love it... but, the cheap bastard that I am, mine will only get the 1 BTC coins.

Trying to buy some. Site is timing out. 8/

MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1155

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2011, 01:45:51 AM

I love it... but, the cheap bastard that I am, mine will only get the 1 BTC coins.

Trying to buy some. Site is timing out. 8/

Which site is timing out?

Casascius.com or MemoryDealers.com?

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2011, 03:26:42 AM

Looks like it was me... Lengthy power failure beat the UPS. Back up now

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
geek-trader

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 07:41:49 AM

I find myself wanting to give bitcoin for the holidays this year, but 25 BTC is too much, and 1 BTC is too little.  10 BTC would be perfect.

I know I can "charge" a 1 BTC coin up to 10.  (I already have 5 1 BTC coins from you Smiley )  but that seems like it would require too much explanation to a noob like I'd give these to.

Your options for coins / bars over 1 BTC are too big, in my opinion.  I'd love a 10 BTC coin made of brass.

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
geek-trader

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 07:49:26 AM

On the other hand, I just bought 10 1 BTC coins from Memory Dealers to give to co-workers.  Those f**kers only deserve 1 BTC each anyway.  Smiley

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
boonies4u

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 08:29:20 AM

"Bitcoin is a grassroots currency project and I am a fan of it.  It was created by an anonymous guy on the Internet in 2009, and has mushroomed into something much bigger.  You can Google it and read more.  Although the 25 Bitcoin piece I am giving you is only worth $100 today, it was worth less than a dollar in 2010, and last June, it could have easily been sold for well over $500.  The value fluctuates up and down, much like stocks or gold, sometimes slowly sometimes quickly, and you can always see what it's worth online any time.

"In the end, no one really knows what they're going to be worth five years from now.  They probably won't be worth what they're worth now.  They will probably either become worth absolutely nothing, or they might become worth a fortune.

Reminds me of the state lotteries advertising that you get someone a scratch-off for a christmas present. I saw a christmas card earlier that said something along the lines of "I got you a little something...(front) That might be a big something(inside, with scratch off on other page)".
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 10:04:49 AM

Yep. Tongue

Well, the kiddos will get a couple more dropped into bitcoin "savings accounts," with nifty address cards for adding more later.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: