Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:17:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So do Bitcoiners actually claim the foundation wasn't infiltrated?  (Read 2828 times)
madmadmax (OP)

Activity: 740
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 03:58:12 PM

So while watching the movie about Wikileaks Assange makes a comment about one of the biggest mistakes that he made while establishing Wikileaks was recruiting some unreliable people that ultimately turned out to be undercovers according to him.

This raises the question on whether the foundation is/has already been infiltrated? Are a bunch of Dr. Evils trying to introduce potentially flawed technologies (or could have already introduced them) and have them within the source?

Of course the average pseudo-intellectual would argue that we can all view the source and if we deem it unjust we could just fork it, this answer is not satisfactory and fails the same way democracy fails. If we watch over statistical data we can see that the political party with the most hours in the media always takes the first place, we can then establish that the average person lacks absolutely any means of thinking for themselves. How is Bitcoin any different if the strongest leaders all have their Gríma Wormtongues whispering nonsense into their ears until they lose the ability to think rationally and ultimately turn against us, the community?

▄▄▄▄▄               ▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄        ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄██▀        ▀██▄    ▄██▀         ▀█▄
██▀            ▀██▄  ▀▀             ██
██               ▀██        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
██                ▀██▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
 ██▄          ▄██   ▀██▄          ▄▄▄
  ▀██▄      ▄██▀      ▀██▄▄     ▄██▀
    ▀▀██████▀▀          ▀▀██████▀▀

Unchained Smart Contracts
Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
 ▀▀   █████     ██████████
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:07:03 PM

Kinda why nobody serious actually follows the Foundation client anymore.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:10:28 PM

Are you talking about the reference client? Isn't the reference client responsible for 90%+ of all full Bitcoin nodes.
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 04:14:05 PM

Are you talking about the reference client?

No.

MPOE-PR is talking about bitcoin-qt, the client distributed from bitcoin.org.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 04:14:30 PM

It's definitely possible.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:21:44 PM

Are you talking about the reference client?

No.

MPOE-PR is talking about bitcoin-qt, the client distributed from bitcoin.org.

Ok. But it's not possible to download the original GUI reference client right? So isn't the Bitcoin network essentially dictated by Bitcoin-qt?
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:25:28 PM

Is there an alternative full client?

drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:29:14 PM

- bitcoind
- Bitcoin-Qt
- Gocoin

Both bitcoind and Bitcoin-Qt are the main backbone of the Bitcoin network. I'm not sure what ratio of nodes are bitcoind or bitcoin-qt.

I would actually say the bitcoind is more important because this is the one all the services would use.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:33:12 PM

If you know the foundation has been "infiltrated" by Dr. Evil, then do tell. Who is this evil mysterious person?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:35:10 PM

bitcoind and bitcoin-qt are the same thing, qt just have the GUI. Gocoin is not a client, it is a payment platform.

madmadmax (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:40:41 PM

If you know the foundation has been "infiltrated" by Dr. Evil, then do tell. Who is this evil mysterious person?

The fact that you haven't been infiltrated is highly unlikely, no amount of rhetorical questions will change that.

Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:42:06 PM

bitcoind and bitcoin-qt are the same thing, qt just have the GUI. Gocoin is not a client, it is a payment platform.

If so that means there is only one client, so what is MPOE talking about? If no one takes the Foundation client seriously, what client is being taken seriously?
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:44:13 PM

i'm afraid we cannot trust the foundation client but we have no choice to use it since it is the only full node client. I remember reading someone making an alternative one but it was still in early development

CAMTRONNNNN

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

7uck7m7th

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 04:52:47 PM

Rodeo - Good to have you aboard.

Would like you to speak out, and so to, your cohorts at the BTC Foundation. Amidst all of the allegations and conspiracy theorizing I can't imagine why such a transparent and noble group such as the bitcoin Foundation would remain reticent.

How can you, and anyone else involved at the 'Foundation NOT speak out on these matters???

Nice quote, btw.

The Revolution Will, indeed, be monetized

BTCitchin' out

Bitcoin student and passionate speaker.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 05:03:14 PM

- bitcoind
- Bitcoin-Qt
- Gocoin

Both bitcoind and Bitcoin-Qt are the main backbone of the Bitcoin network. I'm not sure what ratio of nodes are bitcoind or bitcoin-qt.

I would actually say the bitcoind is more important because this is the one all the services would use.

Versions are much more important. Basically, stuff after about 0.7 or so supports the wallets of everyone owning less than a Bitcoin or thereabouts.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 06:38:44 PM

Rodeo - Good to have you aboard.

Would like you to speak out, and so to, your cohorts at the BTC Foundation. Amidst all of the allegations and conspiracy theorizing I can't imagine why such a transparent and noble group such as the bitcoin Foundation would remain reticent.

How can you, and anyone else involved at the 'Foundation NOT speak out on these matters???

Nice quote, btw.

The Revolution Will, indeed, be monetized

BTCitchin' out
I do try to refute these things when I see no basis for them. However it is hard to keep up with so many crazy theories. I have, for example, been accused of being an alien. I don't know how to respond to that.
This particular theory is not so crazy, some business may pay membership to have access to the forums. If I were CEO of PayPal I would do that. But so what? They are welcome to join. It's not like membership gives them any advantage over other bitcoin users.
One thing I have learned here is that some people desperately want a grand conspiracy. They can't accept that the government does not know about nor give a crap about bitcoin. So they invent a story about the CIA or secret societies. After a while they forget that no facts back the story and choose to believe their own fantasy.  Perhaps they just want to be part of something bigger than their real lives?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
N[e]wBie

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 06:42:54 PM

just look and see who backed Mt Gox and think about this for a while

BTC: 1ESZr887vTZqYtDuwwspn1jBaoRU9jMcv1
madmadmax (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 06:59:09 PM

I do try to refute these things when I see no basis for them. However it is hard to keep up with so many crazy theories. I have, for example, been accused of being an alien. I don't know how to respond to that.
This particular theory is not so crazy, some business may pay membership to have access to the forums. If I were CEO of PayPal I would do that. But so what? They are welcome to join. It's not like membership gives them any advantage over other bitcoin users.
One thing I have learned here is that some people desperately want a grand conspiracy. They can't accept that the government does not know about nor give a crap about bitcoin. So they invent a story about the CIA or secret societies. After a while they forget that no facts back the story and choose to believe their own fantasy.  Perhaps they just want to be part of something bigger than their real lives?

Even if I was within the foundation I would probably answer in a less confident manner than you. This has already happened previously with Wikileaks so this "conspiracy theory" has its grounds, we know for a fact that there was an active campaign to discredit Assange with anything and everything they have against him, they were even desperate enough to begin pointing out irrelevant facts to make him seem "weird" like that he dyed his hair white or didn't shower frequently so there was definitely government involvement in putting an organization less dangerous than the Bitcoin Foundation apart.

I would say that it isn't even a conspiracy theory as much as it is an unspoken fact among the educated intellectuals of the community, not less of an unspoken fact than that the government was spying on everyone prior to the Snowden revelations, the masses might have not been aware of this but we sure have been. I can recall people discussing this as early as internet and of course every intellectual knew this at the back of his mind.

Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

CAMTRONNNNN

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

7uck7m7th

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 07:14:43 PM

I hear you Rodeo, and I'm not a conspiracy theorist, nor am I not a not conspiracy theorist like madmadmax fervently touts himself to be.

I'm just another bitcoin enthusiast/student and I just don't see how any "official" or legitimate, respectable, *reputable* Foundation of bitcoin does not willingly, handily swat all of these so refuted bogus accusations.

I can't imagine how this is just another trivial crazy person/bandwagon.  It's not.  This has teeth.

I would think your bite would reflect that but sadly, it does not. I look forward to further refutations from you and other board members. Please let me know where and when they can be found. I'm sure if all is what you claim that you'd happily and easily be able to do that, right?

-conspiracy theorist
#~+-1

Bitcoin student and passionate speaker.
freebit13

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 08:04:12 PM

One thing I have learned here is that some people desperately want a grand conspiracy. They can't accept that the government does not know about nor give a crap about bitcoin. So they invent a story about the CIA or secret societies. After a while they forget that no facts back the story and choose to believe their own fantasy.  Perhaps they just want to be part of something bigger than their real lives?
Now that, in itself, would be untrue or at least completely misleading... statements like that don't lend much credibility to anything else you have to say.

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: