Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:20:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: So do Bitcoiners actually claim the foundation wasn't infiltrated?  (Read 2828 times)
madmadmax (OP)

Activity: 740
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 03:58:12 PM

So while watching the movie about Wikileaks Assange makes a comment about one of the biggest mistakes that he made while establishing Wikileaks was recruiting some unreliable people that ultimately turned out to be undercovers according to him.

This raises the question on whether the foundation is/has already been infiltrated? Are a bunch of Dr. Evils trying to introduce potentially flawed technologies (or could have already introduced them) and have them within the source?

Of course the average pseudo-intellectual would argue that we can all view the source and if we deem it unjust we could just fork it, this answer is not satisfactory and fails the same way democracy fails. If we watch over statistical data we can see that the political party with the most hours in the media always takes the first place, we can then establish that the average person lacks absolutely any means of thinking for themselves. How is Bitcoin any different if the strongest leaders all have their Gríma Wormtongues whispering nonsense into their ears until they lose the ability to think rationally and ultimately turn against us, the community?

▄▄▄▄▄               ▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄        ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄██▀        ▀██▄    ▄██▀         ▀█▄
██▀            ▀██▄  ▀▀             ██
██               ▀██        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
██                ▀██▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
 ██▄          ▄██   ▀██▄          ▄▄▄
  ▀██▄      ▄██▀      ▀██▄▄     ▄██▀
    ▀▀██████▀▀          ▀▀██████▀▀

Unchained Smart Contracts
Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
 ▀▀   █████     ██████████
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:07:03 PM

Kinda why nobody serious actually follows the Foundation client anymore.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:10:28 PM

Are you talking about the reference client? Isn't the reference client responsible for 90%+ of all full Bitcoin nodes.
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 04:14:05 PM

Are you talking about the reference client?

No.

MPOE-PR is talking about bitcoin-qt, the client distributed from bitcoin.org.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 04:14:30 PM

It's definitely possible.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:21:44 PM

Are you talking about the reference client?

No.

MPOE-PR is talking about bitcoin-qt, the client distributed from bitcoin.org.

Ok. But it's not possible to download the original GUI reference client right? So isn't the Bitcoin network essentially dictated by Bitcoin-qt?
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:25:28 PM

Is there an alternative full client?

drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:29:14 PM

- bitcoind
- Bitcoin-Qt
- Gocoin

Both bitcoind and Bitcoin-Qt are the main backbone of the Bitcoin network. I'm not sure what ratio of nodes are bitcoind or bitcoin-qt.

I would actually say the bitcoind is more important because this is the one all the services would use.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:33:12 PM

If you know the foundation has been "infiltrated" by Dr. Evil, then do tell. Who is this evil mysterious person?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:35:10 PM

bitcoind and bitcoin-qt are the same thing, qt just have the GUI. Gocoin is not a client, it is a payment platform.

madmadmax (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:40:41 PM

If you know the foundation has been "infiltrated" by Dr. Evil, then do tell. Who is this evil mysterious person?

The fact that you haven't been infiltrated is highly unlikely, no amount of rhetorical questions will change that.

Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:42:06 PM

bitcoind and bitcoin-qt are the same thing, qt just have the GUI. Gocoin is not a client, it is a payment platform.

If so that means there is only one client, so what is MPOE talking about? If no one takes the Foundation client seriously, what client is being taken seriously?
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:44:13 PM

i'm afraid we cannot trust the foundation client but we have no choice to use it since it is the only full node client. I remember reading someone making an alternative one but it was still in early development

CAMTRONNNNN

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

7uck7m7th

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 04:52:47 PM

Rodeo - Good to have you aboard.

Would like you to speak out, and so to, your cohorts at the BTC Foundation. Amidst all of the allegations and conspiracy theorizing I can't imagine why such a transparent and noble group such as the bitcoin Foundation would remain reticent.

How can you, and anyone else involved at the 'Foundation NOT speak out on these matters???

Nice quote, btw.

The Revolution Will, indeed, be monetized

BTCitchin' out

Bitcoin student and passionate speaker.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 05:03:14 PM

- bitcoind
- Bitcoin-Qt
- Gocoin

Both bitcoind and Bitcoin-Qt are the main backbone of the Bitcoin network. I'm not sure what ratio of nodes are bitcoind or bitcoin-qt.

I would actually say the bitcoind is more important because this is the one all the services would use.

Versions are much more important. Basically, stuff after about 0.7 or so supports the wallets of everyone owning less than a Bitcoin or thereabouts.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 06:38:44 PM

Rodeo - Good to have you aboard.

Would like you to speak out, and so to, your cohorts at the BTC Foundation. Amidst all of the allegations and conspiracy theorizing I can't imagine why such a transparent and noble group such as the bitcoin Foundation would remain reticent.

How can you, and anyone else involved at the 'Foundation NOT speak out on these matters???

Nice quote, btw.

The Revolution Will, indeed, be monetized

BTCitchin' out
I do try to refute these things when I see no basis for them. However it is hard to keep up with so many crazy theories. I have, for example, been accused of being an alien. I don't know how to respond to that.
This particular theory is not so crazy, some business may pay membership to have access to the forums. If I were CEO of PayPal I would do that. But so what? They are welcome to join. It's not like membership gives them any advantage over other bitcoin users.
One thing I have learned here is that some people desperately want a grand conspiracy. They can't accept that the government does not know about nor give a crap about bitcoin. So they invent a story about the CIA or secret societies. After a while they forget that no facts back the story and choose to believe their own fantasy.  Perhaps they just want to be part of something bigger than their real lives?

N[e]wBie

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 06:42:54 PM

just look and see who backed Mt Gox and think about this for a while

BTC: 1ESZr887vTZqYtDuwwspn1jBaoRU9jMcv1
madmadmax (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 06:59:09 PM

I do try to refute these things when I see no basis for them. However it is hard to keep up with so many crazy theories. I have, for example, been accused of being an alien. I don't know how to respond to that.
This particular theory is not so crazy, some business may pay membership to have access to the forums. If I were CEO of PayPal I would do that. But so what? They are welcome to join. It's not like membership gives them any advantage over other bitcoin users.
One thing I have learned here is that some people desperately want a grand conspiracy. They can't accept that the government does not know about nor give a crap about bitcoin. So they invent a story about the CIA or secret societies. After a while they forget that no facts back the story and choose to believe their own fantasy.  Perhaps they just want to be part of something bigger than their real lives?

Even if I was within the foundation I would probably answer in a less confident manner than you. This has already happened previously with Wikileaks so this "conspiracy theory" has its grounds, we know for a fact that there was an active campaign to discredit Assange with anything and everything they have against him, they were even desperate enough to begin pointing out irrelevant facts to make him seem "weird" like that he dyed his hair white or didn't shower frequently so there was definitely government involvement in putting an organization less dangerous than the Bitcoin Foundation apart.

I would say that it isn't even a conspiracy theory as much as it is an unspoken fact among the educated intellectuals of the community, not less of an unspoken fact than that the government was spying on everyone prior to the Snowden revelations, the masses might have not been aware of this but we sure have been. I can recall people discussing this as early as internet and of course every intellectual knew this at the back of his mind.

Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

CAMTRONNNNN

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

7uck7m7th

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 07:14:43 PM

I hear you Rodeo, and I'm not a conspiracy theorist, nor am I not a not conspiracy theorist like madmadmax fervently touts himself to be.

I'm just another bitcoin enthusiast/student and I just don't see how any "official" or legitimate, respectable, *reputable* Foundation of bitcoin does not willingly, handily swat all of these so refuted bogus accusations.

I can't imagine how this is just another trivial crazy person/bandwagon.  It's not.  This has teeth.

I would think your bite would reflect that but sadly, it does not. I look forward to further refutations from you and other board members. Please let me know where and when they can be found. I'm sure if all is what you claim that you'd happily and easily be able to do that, right?

-conspiracy theorist
#~+-1

Bitcoin student and passionate speaker.
freebit13

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 08:04:12 PM

One thing I have learned here is that some people desperately want a grand conspiracy. They can't accept that the government does not know about nor give a crap about bitcoin. So they invent a story about the CIA or secret societies. After a while they forget that no facts back the story and choose to believe their own fantasy.  Perhaps they just want to be part of something bigger than their real lives?
Now that, in itself, would be untrue or at least completely misleading... statements like that don't lend much credibility to anything else you have to say.

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
tacoman71

Activity: 320
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 08:44:17 PM

If I am not mistaken, isn't the source code for the client freely available? Or is that just Bitcoin in general? And even if this absurd notion was even true, the entire community could switch another client.

Feeling generous? Like my post? Leave a tip at BTC: 1NZJ8cceqEiKDZGAJged2vNGCyfFMUEYPt
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 09:25:27 PM

I hear you Rodeo, and I'm not a conspiracy theorist, nor am I not a not conspiracy theorist ...

-conspiracy theorist
#~+-1

And I do hear you man. An Idea like this is a plausible idea, but until there is some evidence that's all it is. I think a lot of people at the BF just ignore these threads because there are soooo many.
The fact is conspiracies do happen sometimes. When they do, they happen for a reason. Motive is the key! Why would someone infiltrate the BF? what would they gain?  It's not like it's a secret what is being done there. You could just ask what's going on and I'll tell you. Or read for yourself. Very little of the foundation's website is not viewable. In short there is no logic in "infiltrating' an org that makes itself public.

As far as the government not being very interested in BTC. I can tell you that the policy makers I have met with know zero about bitcoin. It is just not on their radar. In circles like the CIA they are aware of BTC. But that is their job right? It is plausible to be concerned about real terrorist using BTC to finance an attack.  They just want to know what is and how it works. But there is no evidence that they care to attack crypto currencies.

madmadmax (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 10:01:09 PM

I hear you Rodeo, and I'm not a conspiracy theorist, nor am I not a not conspiracy theorist ...

-conspiracy theorist
#~+-1

And I do hear you man. An Idea like this is a plausible idea, but until there is some evidence that's all it is. I think a lot of people at the BF just ignore these threads because there are soooo many.
The fact is conspiracies do happen sometimes. When they do, they happen for a reason. Motive is the key! Why would someone infiltrate the BF? what would they gain?  It's not like it's a secret what is being done there. You could just ask what's going on and I'll tell you. Or read for yourself. Very little of the foundation's website is not viewable. In short there is no logic in "infiltrating' an org that makes itself public.

As far as the government not being very interested in BTC. I can tell you that the policy makers I have met with know zero about bitcoin. It is just not on their radar. In circles like the CIA they are aware of BTC. But that is their job right? It is plausible to be concerned about real terrorist using BTC to finance an attack.  They just want to know what is and how it works. But there is no evidence that they care to attack crypto currencies.

Governments keep talking about terrorists using BTC to finance an attack yet I have never seen a single murder being carried out with BTC let alone a sale of a weapon of mass destruction contrary to the thousands that happen with fiat.

When the perpetrator pays for a "hit" with BTC in advance it leaves little to no motive for the killer to actually carry it out, if the killer murders someone in advance it leaves little to no motive for the perpetrator to pay him using BTC, no one will create a marketplace for hits because it is immoral and would come with a hefty sentence for the owners when caught in addition to the market being non existent, due to this Mexican standof(ish) situation cryptocurrencies are an inefficient method for paying for anything order than weed to someone you don't personally know. Most current Bitcoin "killers" will ask the perpetrator to pay a traveling fee in advance and then happily disappear after, I call this the "stupidity tax".

Where will you find a person bad enough to be escrow?

All terrorist attacks and hits are carried out using paper fiat in person, furthermore it is incredibly easy for terrorist organizations to acquire weapons via SOFEX, one of the countless freelancers working for the government or even the corrupt generals who have been armed by the U.S. in Pakistan and still continue to do Chae boys up the butt.

The claim that they are investigating Bitcoin because it could be used by terrorists to finance an attack instead of corporate interests is the equivalent of me violating your privacy and spying on you 24/7 to check for the boogeyman under your bed. Every time a government uses this misleading euphemism we can safely establish that it is corrupt and seeking to eliminate the competition of the very people financing them. The spread of anti-terrorism is nothing more but propaganda to strip you of your liberty.

Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 05:47:18 PM

The claim that they are investigating Bitcoin because it could be used by terrorists to finance an attack instead of corporate interests is the equivalent of me violating your privacy and spying on you 24/7 to check for the boogeyman under your bed. ...
I am with you bro! Right after 9/11 I knew that soon the term terrorist will be used for everything. Especially as a pretext, kinda like they use "kiddy porn" to scare people into giving up rights. But there are people who think like us in the CIA also. And they want to have some knowledge of bitcoin because, although rare, it may be used by an actual terror group. If that happens the CIA wants to be ahead of the curve and know what they are dealing with.
It is even conceivable that the CIA might use it themselves. A system that can be used to send money anonymously around the world is certainly going to be explored by all the world's covert services.

sickpig
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 05:54:44 PM

- bitcoind
- Bitcoin-Qt
- Gocoin

Versions are much more important. Basically, stuff after about 0.7 or so supports the wallets of everyone owning less than a Bitcoin or thereabouts.

Sorry but my english is a little bit rusty. Are you implying that everything above bitcoind 0.7 is not trustworthy?

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
madmadmax (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:50:04 PM

The claim that they are investigating Bitcoin because it could be used by terrorists to finance an attack instead of corporate interests is the equivalent of me violating your privacy and spying on you 24/7 to check for the boogeyman under your bed. ...
I am with you bro! Right after 9/11 I knew that soon the term terrorist will be used for everything. Especially as a pretext, kinda like they use "kiddy porn" to scare people into giving up rights. But there are people who think like us in the CIA also. And they want to have some knowledge of bitcoin because, although rare, it may be used by an actual terror group. If that happens the CIA wants to be ahead of the curve and know what they are dealing with.
It is even conceivable that the CIA might use it themselves. A system that can be used to send money anonymously around the world is certainly going to be explored by all the world's covert services.

Basically what you are saying is that although I'm right it still shouldn't prevent the corporate owned government from planting propaganda seeds in the cryptosoil in advance?

Sorry but my english is a little bit rusty. Are you implying that everything above bitcoind 0.7 is not trustworthy?

That's exactly what the bitch is saying...

Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:58:51 PM

Basically what you are saying is that although I'm right it still shouldn't prevent the corporate owned government from planting propaganda seeds in the cryptosoil in advance?
No, not that. I'm saying they do have a legitimate reason for knowing about bitcoin. It does have national security implications. The CIA was also an early player on the internet as well. They could see that this was going to change spycraft. I think bitcoin will as well. They are not going to ignore something this big. Neither are the other intelligence services all over the world. Why pick the CIA instead of MOSAD or any others. They are all into bitcoin right now. Take your pick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_intelligence_agencies

ibminer
Legendary

Activity: 1819
Merit: 2788

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2014, 06:59:40 PM

That's exactly what the bitch is saying...

Is this seriously what MPOE-PR is implying?

madmadmax (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:35:56 PM

No, not that. I'm saying they do have a legitimate reason for knowing about bitcoin. It does have national security implications. The CIA was also an early player on the internet as well. They could see that this was going to change spycraft. I think bitcoin will as well. They are not going to ignore something this big. Neither are the other intelligence services all over the world. Why pick the CIA instead of MOSAD or any others. They are all into bitcoin right now. Take your pick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_intelligence_agencies

I can't see myself agreeing to meet the CIA like Gavin did especially that early on, why would I want to meet with the enemies of Bitcoin let alone the enemies of humanity, intelligence agencies aren't above the game, they are still controlled by the same bankers and thus they are the same racketeers.

Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 03:47:52 AM

https://opensource.conformal.com/wiki/btcd
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 04:19:00 PM

I can't see myself agreeing to meet the CIA like Gavin did especially that early on, why would I want to meet with the enemies of Bitcoin let alone the enemies of humanity, intelligence agencies aren't above the game, they are still controlled by the same bankers and thus they are the same racketeers.
The influence corporate America has over all facets of the government is alarming. You'll get no argument from me about that. But their corruption is the profitable kind, that is their interest. A business cabal might lean on a Senator to manipulate a CIA report so that it is more favorable to their plans for contracts. That kind of thing makes sense, it's a greedy investment in future profits. I don't see many logical motives for the CIA's role in BTC and I see no real evidence to support the various theories that they created, or are destroying it.

It sound like you suspect the CIA is an enemy of BTC. We know they have some interest in it because they invited the chief scientist to come speak. That is not at all unusual, analysis of overseas payment networks is stock stuff and they are constantly hosting lectures on damn near everything. As for intelligence services being an enemy of humanity, by and large that may be true. All over the world countries use their services on their own people for corrupt reasons. By comparison with them, let alone with history, the corruption I am exposed to is little. Besides, if you want to go after the real enemy of humanity you must confront the master these entities serve. War.

benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 05:40:29 PM

I don't see many logical motives for the CIA's role in BTC

It really is amazing how ignorant most of you are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confessions_of_an_Economic_Hit_Man

I was initially recruited while I was in business school back in the late sixties by the National Security Agency, the nation’s largest and least understood spy organization; but ultimately I worked for private corporations. The first real economic hit man was back in the early 1950s, Kermit Roosevelt, Jr., the grandson of Teddy, who overthrew the government of Iran, a democratically elected government, Mossadegh’s government who was Time‘s magazine person of the year; and he was so successful at doing this without any bloodshed—well, there was a little bloodshed, but no military intervention, just spending millions of dollars and replaced Mossadegh with the Shah of Iran. At that point, we understood that this idea of economic hit man was an extremely good one. We didn’t have to worry about the threat of war with Russia when we did it this way. The problem with that was that Roosevelt was a C.I.A. agent. He was a government employee. Had he been caught, we would have been in a lot of trouble. It would have been very embarrassing. So, at that point, the decision was made to use organizations like the C.I.A. and the N.S.A. to recruit potential economic hit men like me and then send us to work for private consulting companies, engineering firms, construction companies, so that if we were caught, there would be no connection with the government.

Besides, if you want to go after the real enemy of humanity you must confront the master these entities serve. War.

Wars happen for a reason.  They aren't just fucking random acts for the purpose of consuming armaments.

When government agents openly claim that using alternative currencies is "domestic terrorism" and plan to "infiltrate, disrupt and dismantle" them, what the fuck do you people think that means, exactly?  Do you think that means regulators are your friends?

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
ibminer
Legendary

Activity: 1819
Merit: 2788

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 05:46:33 PM

The influence corporate America has over all facets of the government is alarming. You'll get no argument from me about that. But their corruption is the profitable kind, that is their interest. A business cabal might lean on a Senator to manipulate a CIA report so that it is more favorable to their plans for contracts. That kind of thing makes sense, it's a greedy investment in future profits. I don't see many logical motives for the CIA's role in BTC and I see no real evidence to support the various theories that they created, or are destroying it.

It sound like you suspect the CIA is an enemy of BTC. We know they have some interest in it because they invited the chief scientist to come speak. That is not at all unusual, analysis of overseas payment networks is stock stuff and they are constantly hosting lectures on damn near everything. As for intelligence services being an enemy of humanity, by and large that may be true. All over the world countries use their services on their own people for corrupt reasons. By comparison with them, let alone with history, the corruption I am exposed to is little. Besides, if you want to go after the real enemy of humanity you must confront the master these entities serve. War.

Most of these agencies seem to have a thirst for intelligence & information of their own citizens as well as other countries, it seems unlikely that they would support an innovation like Bitcoin that could be used to protect citizens worldwide against their information gathering  techniques and make their jobs harder.

Bitcoin also lends a big hand in educating people about encryption and how to protect your privacy online… these things I cannot see agencies like this being happy with, they would much rather people know nothing about how to protect their privacy online.

But does not being happy with something necessarily mean you are an all out enemy of it?  

My personal feeling would be, if we are taking about the CIA, yes, they would want to neutralize or mitigate the success of any threat to their intelligence gathering techniques. Or, at least ensure they have their own ways of gathering the intelligence they want within the Bitcoin world.

So I guess I can understand where these thoughts come from.

madmadmax (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 08:00:16 PM

I was initially recruited while I was in business school back in the late sixties by the National Security Agency, the nation’s largest and least understood spy organization; but ultimately I worked for private corporations. The first real economic hit man was back in the early 1950s, Kermit Roosevelt, Jr., the grandson of Teddy, who overthrew the government of Iran, a democratically elected government, Mossadegh’s government who was Time‘s magazine person of the year; and he was so successful at doing this without any bloodshed—well, there was a little bloodshed, but no military intervention, just spending millions of dollars and replaced Mossadegh with the Shah of Iran. At that point, we understood that this idea of economic hit man was an extremely good one. We didn’t have to worry about the threat of war with Russia when we did it this way. The problem with that was that Roosevelt was a C.I.A. agent. He was a government employee. Had he been caught, we would have been in a lot of trouble. It would have been very embarrassing. So, at that point, the decision was made to use organizations like the C.I.A. and the N.S.A. to recruit potential economic hit men like me and then send us to work for private consulting companies, engineering firms, construction companies, so that if we were caught, there would be no connection with the government.

Besides, if you want to go after the real enemy of humanity you must confront the master these entities serve. War.

Wars happen for a reason.  They aren't just fucking random acts for the purpose of consuming armaments.

When government agents openly claim that using alternative currencies is "domestic terrorism" and plan to "infiltrate, disrupt and dismantle" them, what the fuck do you people think that means, exactly?  Do you think that means regulators are your friends?

I support your message fellow intellectual.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfEBupAeo4

Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 05:36:52 PM

I was initially recruited while I was in business school back in the late sixties...
Your economic hit man worked for private companies. Not the CIA. And some people seem to forget that the CIA does not operate in the USA. They collect foreign intelligence. Intelligence on terrorism or other criminal activity is handled by the FBI inside the U.S.
Now, the CIA might launch an economic attack on a foreign army, for example. They might lock up their bank accounts, print counterfeit money to crash an enemy's economy.  That, and bombs, are how you win a war.
The problem with these claims about the CIA destroying bitcoin is that they make no sense. Show me a motive. The CIA has very smart people who do not do things for no reason. What is the smart reason for doing this?

JohnnyBTCSeed

Activity: 882

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 06:42:21 PM

I was initially recruited while I was in business school back in the late sixties...
Your economic hit man worked for private companies. Not the CIA. And some people seem to forget that the CIA does not operate in the USA. They collect foreign intelligence. Intelligence on terrorism or other criminal activity is handled by the FBI inside the U.S.
Now, the CIA might launch an economic attack on a foreign army, for example. They might lock up their bank accounts, print counterfeit money to crash an enemy's economy.  That, and bombs, are how you win a war.
The problem with these claims about the CIA destroying bitcoin is that they make no sense. Show me a motive. The CIA has very smart people who do not do things for no reason. What is the smart reason for doing this?

Pretty sure the CIA sells drugs in the US to fund their endless wars

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA_drug_trafficking

and

http://www.fromthewilderness.com/about.shtml
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 09:06:28 PM

the CIA does not operate in the USA   

Bullshit.

The program engaged in many illegal activities; in particular it used unwitting U.S. and Canadian citizens as its test subjects

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Ytterbium

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 10:43:21 AM

Governments keep talking about terrorists using BTC to finance an attack yet I have never seen a single murder being carried out with BTC let alone a sale of a weapon of mass destruction contrary to the thousands that happen with fiat.

When the perpetrator pays for a "hit" with BTC in advance it leaves little to no motive for the killer to actually carry it out, if the killer murders someone in advance it leaves little to no motive for the perpetrator to pay him using BTC,

Actually, the silkroad guy tried to get people whacked twice.  Both times, he was actually scammed (first time by the feds, second time by random people who were in cahoots with the target)

madmadmax (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 12:56:01 PM

When the perpetrator pays for a "hit" with BTC in advance it leaves little to no motive for the killer to actually carry it out, if the killer murders someone in advance it leaves little to no motive for the perpetrator to pay him using BTC,

Actually, the silkroad guy tried to get people whacked twice.  Both times, he was actually scammed (first time by the feds, second time by random people who were in cahoots with the target)

My point exactly, at least do a false flag Bitcoin terrorist attack like 9/11 then proceed with your propaganda.

Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 01:04:08 PM

Basically I wouldn't be worried about some conspiracy. I'd be more worried if the developers represent corporate interests and are controlling development. There's a lot of deep difficult decisions in the code where it's not clear one path or another. If your agenda is even slightly corrupted then you will take the small decisions to benefit corporations over the black market/small businesses/p2p transfers. Corruption is not one big thing but many small decisions. Take the payments protocol as an example which uses CAs- it doesn't benefit small businesses, p2p transfers or the black market only corporations to reduce payment friction for them. That's why it's important to support alternative implementations that give a voice to empower different segments of the community as part of the development process.

Anyone interested in alternatives should check out what we're doing with darkwallet - we have our own alternative & full stack of BTC software: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=372390.0
V4Vendettas

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 01:10:46 PM

Basically I wouldn't be worried about some conspiracy. I'd be more worried if the developers represent corporate interests and are controlling development. There's a lot of deep difficult decisions in the code where it's not clear one path or another. If your agenda is even slightly corrupted then you will take the small decisions to benefit corporations over the black market/small businesses/p2p transfers. Corruption is not one big thing but many small decisions. Take the payments protocol as an example which uses CAs- it doesn't benefit small businesses, p2p transfers or the black market only corporations to reduce payment friction for them. That's why it's important to support alternative implementations that give a voice to empower different segments of the community as part of the development process.

Anyone interested in alternatives should check out what we're doing with darkwallet - we have our own alternative & full stack of BTC software: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=372390.0

No need to worry because  the foundation has Gavin on the payroll so what could go wrong.....wait just a sec

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 08:07:53 PM

Hope it doesn't play a fiddle.

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: