Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 01:06:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt Gox cash deposits down  (Read 1316 times)
geek-trader (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 03:26:28 AM

I deposited $60 at a Chase bank to Mt Gox this past Thursday afternoon (PDT).  When it still had not shown up 24 hours later (Mt Gox's site says it takes 24 hours or less) I submitted a support ticket.

Today I got a reply:

"Thank you for contacting us. Cash deposits are currently pending. We will notify you as soon as it is credited to your account. We apologize for any inconvenience caused."

This is fine, really, but what bugs me is that this is the latest in a line of instances where Mt Gox fails to set realistic expectations.  Don't tell me "24 hours or less" if that's not actually the case.

Mt Gox:  Just tell me the truth.  If it's going to be 4 days, then tell me 4 days (number pulled out of my ass).  Stop lying to me.

Just set realistic expectations.

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitflower

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 03:59:07 AM

We are sorry about the delay. The truth is that we don't know how long it will take to process the deposit. It has taken anywhere from less than 24 hours to several business days. We will keep you updated.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2011, 04:54:15 AM

Something's been on my mind for awhile now, and Jasmine's post reply, coupled with her post count, has me perplexed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Mt Gox have a staffing problem a couple months back? Shortly thereafter, a handful of supporters appeared on this board. They seem to post replies in a rotation fashion. Their replies also seem to resemble one another. Now I could be wrong or totally off base, but I would like to pose a couple questions nonetheless. How many support members are there? Are they full time employees with a salary? What are all there names here on this forum (I know I/we could do this ourselves, but it would take a little time. It being public knowledge, I figured it won't reveal any undue information, and would only take a minute to do on your side).

Thank you in advance, Bruno.
geek-trader (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 05:08:30 AM

We are sorry about the delay. The truth is that we don't know how long it will take to process the deposit. It has taken anywhere from less than 24 hours to several business days. We will keep you updated.

Then the Mt Gox website needs to say this.  Right now it says "Deposits will be credited within 24 hours (usually faster, depending OCR checks, so please write legibly)."

Note the "usually faster".

I understand the business realities.  What I am saying is just tell us the truth, up front.

it's been my experience, on both sides of customer service, that when you set expectations realistically, everyone is happier.

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 05:23:03 AM

What are all there names here on this forum (I know I/we could do this ourselves, but it would take a little time. It being public knowledge, I figured it won't reveal any undue information, and would only take a minute to do on your side).

mtgoxCharlie, Mt.Gox_Natalie (and Natalie, but that's her personal account), bitflower, Mt.Gox Support, MtGox_Adam, and MagicalTux are all verified MtGox support reps on this forum.

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2011, 05:27:09 AM

mtgoxCharlie, Mt.Gox_Natalie (and Natalie, but that's her personal account), bitflower, Mt.Gox Support, MtGox_Adam, and MagicalTux are all verified MtGox support reps on this forum.

It would be nice if they could have the same field I have, which I fill in with "Mike Caldwell", to indicate they're Mt. Gox support.  Otherwise, the suspicion is always there that they might be an imposter.  Although they don't necessarily need the "donator" flag, I figure they're donating plenty by hosting the forum.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2011, 05:28:59 AM

What are all there names here on this forum (I know I/we could do this ourselves, but it would take a little time. It being public knowledge, I figured it won't reveal any undue information, and would only take a minute to do on your side).

Thank you so kindly, Maged, for the requested info. Therefore, is it safe to assume that since they are all verified, they are all separate and real individuals? I'm not versed as to what the verification process is here.
Maged
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 05:31:31 AM

It would be nice if they could have the same field I have, which I fill in with "Mike Caldwell", to indicate they're Mt. Gox support.  Otherwise, the suspicion is always there that they might be an imposter.  Although they don't necessarily need the "donator" flag, I figure they're donating plenty by hosting the forum.
Well, that's something that Mark will have to bring up with Theymos. My guess is that he'd do it for them, since they are hosting the forum, but they'd need to at least ask, first.

Maged
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 05:34:28 AM

Thank you so kindly, Maged, for the requested info. Therefore, is it safe to assume that since they are all verified, they are all separate and real individuals? I'm not versed as to what the verification process is here.

They are only verified in so much as that I checked that someone from MtGox could confirm that they work at MtGox. I have no clue as to their identities, since at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter from the forum's point of view.

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 08:03:44 AM

It's Mt Gox.  It's become a universal law that at least one of their deposit or withdrawal methods won't be working properly at any given point in time.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Alphonso Bedoya

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 11:29:41 AM

Here's what you get for customer service from MtGox ;-)

https://i.imgur.com/40U3Z.jpg
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: