Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:30:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Link expiration  (Read 196 times)
jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
October 03, 2018, 09:21:16 PM
Merited by qwk (1)

I'm not sure if it's just me thinking this but I was searchin for my old topics and found one that had a link to a site, it looks to be a legitimate site at the time but now has been bought by someone else and is potentially being used for malicious purposes (it wanted me to allow my firefox to disable noscript and then allow a program to install - surely that's going to be harmless Grin)...

Anyway, could we make it so that if links are posted after about a year or two that they expire unless they're from a highly visited site like blockchain.com/blockchain.info or other sites like that that get a lot of clicks.
This should also be helpful in reducing database sizes too. I reckon that there's a lot of blockchain.info links that are posted here that are going to go dead in a few years anyway so those could be de-linked too.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 3409

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2018, 12:26:13 PM

could we make it so that if links are posted after about a year or two that they expire unless they're from a highly visited site
Good suggestion but how about the collateral damage to other remaining links, from genuine websites with less visits (if it's automated)?
- The only way to make that work, is having someone to check every single link "manually" from time to time and since this means more work for admins, then most likely has a very small chance of happening any time soon...

Perhaps we can have a "warning message of some sort (a pop-up upon clicking the links)".

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
October 05, 2018, 02:55:15 PM

could we make it so that if links are posted after about a year or two that they expire unless they're from a highly visited site
Good suggestion but how about the collateral damage to other remaining links, from genuine websites with less visits (if it's automated)?
- The only way to make that work, is having someone to check every single link "manually" from time to time and since this means more work for admins, then most likely has a very small chance of happening any time soon...

Perhaps we can have a "warning message of some sort (a pop-up upon clicking the links)".
A warning on links 2 plus years old is a good idea. A warming every time is not so much of a good one as it'll slow us down quite a bit,
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
October 05, 2018, 03:03:26 PM

The underlying problem is as old as the web.
No really good solution has been found so far.
Forgive my skepticism when I say we probably won't as well Wink

Of course, a partial solution could be something like the image-proxy of bitcointalk.
I.e., when you post a link, the bitcointalk server might itself follow that link and create an archive out of it, not unlike archive.is (I'm not linking that Grin).
If you then clicked the link in bitcointalk, it could lead you to an intermediary page where you can view the archived version but also select to follow the real link.

Caveat:
Such a thing is hard to program and especially to program well.
You might easily end up turning the proxy into a DDOS-bot.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: