Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:40:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Crypto After Death?  (Read 20768 times)
Kelvinovie2 (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 05, 2018, 01:51:13 PM

Have you ever wondered what will happen to your cryptocurrency when you die, for those holding huge funds, what have you put in place to make sure your kids or family benefit from your crypto savings.
This is quite fascinating because if you know someone with huge crypto savings and he gave up the ghost, I wonder how such families would benefit from his savings since he alone has the private key to his/her wallet.
I guess this is one reason some user still prefer banking Institutions, because they made provision for next of kin unlike crypto.
So my question is what happen to those crypto when the owner of such wallet is no more and no one has access to such wallet?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MP_SI
Copper Member

Activity: 70

Tell the truth – or, at least, don't lie!

View Profile
October 05, 2018, 02:37:35 PM

Well IO hope that tokens are decentralised to heaven and hell - this would be decentralisation in it's essence!
markingscringling8512

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 05, 2018, 02:49:07 PM

well, if you leave somewhere the private keys for the wallet then it's no different than any other money
bigcash2011

Activity: 1442
Merit: 265

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2018, 03:03:25 PM

Such wallets and the coins stored in it will be considered as burnt as no one will be able to access them if the original owner dies, i think if you have decent some of investment and holding a portfolio of coins then you should definitely share the private key with your closest and trust worthy person so that after your death they can use it.

tangbori

Activity: 272
Merit: 12

View Profile
October 05, 2018, 03:13:14 PM

I think anybody that is holding huge fund in crypto should have next of kin in place because death is inevitable. Therefore I don't see anything wrong in giving out private key to next of kin before death.
Jansaa

Activity: 392
Merit: 105

View Profile
October 05, 2018, 03:15:19 PM

You keep the private key, only you can use that Crypto number! If you die without leaving a Private key, Crypto will not follow you, but no one will ever be able to use it.
mdenys

Activity: 560
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 05, 2018, 03:26:35 PM

Write your privat keys and exchange's logins and password's on a couple pieces of papers and hide them in some secret and  secure places.Explain to your family what crypto is and show how to do transactions. When you get strong feelings that the death is somewhere around ,tell to your family where you keep the papers.
mahvia
Copper Member

Activity: 226
Merit: 0

who am I to judge. I only flame

View Profile
October 05, 2018, 03:34:08 PM

Write your privat keys and exchange's logins and password's on a couple pieces of papers and hide them in some secret and  secure places.Explain to your family what crypto is and show how to do transactions. When you get strong feelings that the death is somewhere around ,tell to your family where you keep the papers.
Put it in your testament, or at least directions how to get info about access. nothing more than RL solutions that we already have
Kelvinovie2 (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2018, 05:08:12 PM

But let's not forget the fact that death is not something we can predict, but it's something that is bound to happen, incase of unforseen circumstances like accident, for example the xrp investor who turned $1million investments into billions of us dollars, US billionaire Matthew Mellon.
He made a fortune, now if the family can't get access to his wallet, this means billion of $, will be lying low in series of wallet, what a waste.
33bitcoin

Activity: 223
Merit: 111

View Profile
October 05, 2018, 05:10:47 PM

It's difficult to trust anyone, even your own family.  If you give them the private key before your dead they can spend your funds without your permission. 
YuginKadoya
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1169

View Profile
October 05, 2018, 05:26:58 PM

Well aside from trusting someone with your bitcoin, Altcoins, and tokens, I really think making the last will is a good thing to really do to let yo ensure that your save up cryptocurrency will be known to your loved ones and I really think that a tutorial is needed for those token that needs to be sold at a higher price, But I really think getting an attorney that is trustworthy with your things is needed, Well this is just my opinion to let your family known about your saved bitcoin.
Rastafarian

Activity: 238

View Profile
October 05, 2018, 05:29:37 PM

All I have to do as a serious member of cryptocurrency business is to spend much time teaching my family to enjoy what cryptocurrency really is and have a full trust in cryptocurrency.
tanvir232

Activity: 252
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 05, 2018, 05:38:00 PM

Lol, it's a good question indeed. There is no way of recovering those unless you leave some data. However, people should share info whom he/she believes the most. Like, my girlfriend, I believe her the most and I told her everything.
senin

Activity: 938
Merit: 137

View Profile
October 05, 2018, 05:41:22 PM

It will be difficult to implement in practice. In order for the family to be able to use your coins and tokens after death, they need to know how to use them, and this is a rather large amount of knowledge. Most likely, they will be forced to seek help from other people. And this, again, is a matter of trust.
green547

Activity: 385
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 05, 2018, 05:41:38 PM

Lol, it's a good question indeed. There is no way of recovering those unless you leave some data. However, people should share info whom he/she believes the most. Like, my girlfriend, I believe her the most and I told her everything.

lol that works until your girlfriend decides to leave you and take your crypto.  A lot of people are real sociopaths that who do and say anything just to get money.
utlptc

Activity: 392
Merit: 10

DeepOnion, a new dream.

View Profile
October 05, 2018, 05:50:45 PM

It will be difficult to implement in practice. In order for the family to be able to use your coins and tokens after death, they need to know how to use them, and this is a rather large amount of knowledge. Most likely, they will be forced to seek help from other people. And this, again, is a matter of trust.
using crypto will be easy as we do have internet now. The matter is, whether he/she will get enough time to tell everything in details. I have a feeling that lots of bitcoin have been vanished only because of such issues.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord   ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
Utyg

Activity: 266

View Profile
October 05, 2018, 06:13:47 PM

Life and death is a rhetorical question. I've noticed that people think about death and life come to middle age. Since no one is insured against an accident. I believe that storing keys and passwords for your loved ones is a good idea. Because we stay in our children. We need to leave them their savings and labor. To they were not in vain.
IgorShumilo

Activity: 518
Merit: 105

View Profile
October 05, 2018, 06:50:58 PM

Your question is a good reason to start now a little to acquaint your close people with cryptocurrencies and to explain to them what the wallet and private keys are.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 05, 2018, 08:11:26 PM

well for me, if I die and I have a lot of crypto before that
every private key + password for all my holding will be saved on my PC and Hard Disk.
With an explanation about how to send the balance
Kelvinovie2 (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2018, 08:51:35 PM

well for me, if I die and I have a lot of crypto before that
every private key + password for all my holding will be saved on my PC and Hard Disk.
With an explanation about how to send the balance
Have you started saving those information in details, cus I believe you cannot save all those details in one day, am sure you have some crypto, even if it's not much today but it could be worth a fortune tomorrow, cus when one will be in seek bed, there will be so much to worry about and you might even forget so many things.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: